Jump to content
TaurusSHO

Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

I'd assume in the future chargers will just be another piece of standard infrastructure in home construction, integrated into the electrical stuff..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as writing another check goes..

Well, this is life...

Its how we do things. We buy a 500 dollar Playstation. We get 1 game, two at most, but then we fork over 50 bucks each time we buy another game. Then the next gen Playstaion comes along 2-3 years later, we fork over another 500 bucks and the cycle continues...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

As far as writing another check goes..

Well, this is life...

Its how we do things. We buy a 500 dollar Playstation. We get 1 game, two at most, but then we fork over 50 bucks each time we buy another game. Then the next gen Playstaion comes along 2-3 years later, we fork over another 500 bucks and the cycle continues...

 

Yeah, stuff gets obsolete after a few years, have to get new stuff to replace the old stuff...the cycle of life.   Though some formats remain useful longer..I still have and use CDs though I have most everything in MP3s also.    And I still have Blu Rays though I mostly stream video content...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I'd assume in the future chargers will just be another piece of standard home infrastructure in home construction, integrated into the electrical stuff..

For new construction, yes, definitely.

But existing homes will have to purchase what we are talking about now.  

No big deal. Much ado about nothing. 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

For new construction, yes, definitely.

But existing homes will have to purchase what we are talking about now.  

No big deal. Much ado about nothing. 

 

Maybe, but I'm not buying one, but then again, I'm not buying an EV anytime soon either...I figure I'll be driving another 30 years maybe, I don't see ICE vehicles disappearing in the next 30 years. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, stuff gets obsolete after a few years, have to get new stuff to replace the old stuff...the cycle of life.   Though some formats remain useful longer..I still have and use CDs though I have most everything in MP3s also.    And I still have Blu Rays though I mostly stream video content...

I do not do streaming. Nor the cloud. I buy DVDs and Blu Ray still. 

The only thing I do not do are VHS and cassette tapes. 

I do use a USB key and have transferred some songs from my CD collection to the USB key and use that key in my wife's Fusion. I have downloaded apps where the app converts youtube downloads and saves it on the computer or phone and from there I transfer it on to the USB key.  I could go  cloud on that, but I refuse to adopt still. I have also used In my Acura, my car has  storage for media integrated in the radio and Ive done that. 

Edited by oldshurst442

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oldshurst442 said:

I do not do streaming. Nor the cloud. I buy DVDs and Blu Ray still. 

The only thing I do not do are VHS and cassette tapes. 

I do use a USB key and have transferred some songs from my CD collection to the USB key and use that key in my wife's Fusion. In my Acura, my car has  storage for media integrated in  the radio and Ive done that. 

Since I ditched cable, I pretty much stream everything to my Fire TV w/ Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.    I use a USB key for my music collection to play in my Jeep, though I do use Sirius XM often and CDs in there also.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Maybe, but I'm not buying one, but then again, I'm not buying on EV anytime soon either...I figure I'll be driving another 30 years maybe, I don't see ICE vehicles disappearing in the next 30 years. 

Im still weighing in. I want a Tesla Model 3. But I dont, 

I want a similar car, a tad bigger, maybe Model S big, maybe a tad smaller, in the price range of a Model 3, that has range of a Model 3. 

I guess Im waiting for more choices to arrive to fully get on board. 

But there will be 1 EV and 1 gasoline powered car in the family if I choose to go with EV in the next 5 or so years. I aint giving up my Acura anytime soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it seems like the site doesn't want me to see any posts past the first page. This started a little over a week ago but whether I’m on the iPad, my phone, or computer, I get this never ending “loading” message whenever I try to go to another page of any thread here. Let me know when this is fixed because I have tried everything on my end.

@Drew Dowdell

 

E82BD3B9-78F5-4C06-9623-28D8D0BF7BA6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, MOST of consumer goods drop in price over time.  The first Texas Instruments calculator used to be a capital investment; it was $150 in 1972 ($910 in 2018 dollars).

Doesn't seem to happen with automobiles, however.  Model S was supposed to come out in the mid-$50K range.  Never happened.  Then it was in the mid-$60K range.  Then they dropped the 60kW in '17 and the 75kW last month, and the NOW minimum ante for a Model S --after 8 years on the market-- is $94K.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I ran the support tool to clear out the server cache. Let me know if that helps.

@ccap41 Suggestion actually worked but I can’t figure why that started like that in the first place. I had no OS updates on my end so I knew that wasn’t the problem. Strange. Thanks for the tip @ccap41.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, surreal1272 said:

@ccap41 Suggestion actually worked but I can’t figure why that started like that in the first place. I had no OS updates on my end so I knew that wasn’t the problem. Strange. Thanks for the tip @ccap41.  

We're in a weird spot on the forum software. A new version of the software is currently in Beta, but the creator of this theme we use (a separate entity from the forum software manufacturer) appears to have gone out of business and is no longer offering support.  I don't want to spend the $50 to upgrade to a new theme when it might not be compatible with the next version of the forum software whcihcomes out in a few weeks to a month. 

At the moment, it looks like @ccap41's suggestion might be the temporary solution.   Otherwise, if you scroll to the bottom and select Theme, you should be able to pick CGDefaut2 which puts you back on the older theme. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Maybe, but I'm not buying one, but then again, I'm not buying an EV anytime soon either...I figure I'll be driving another 30 years maybe, I don't see ICE vehicles disappearing in the next 30 years. 

I will be dead and gone when EV's fully take over.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

We're in a weird spot on the forum software. A new version of the software is currently in Beta, but the creator of this theme we use (a separate entity from the forum software manufacturer) appears to have gone out of business and is no longer offering support.  I don't want to spend the $50 to upgrade to a new theme when it might not be compatible with the next version of the forum software whcihcomes out in a few weeks to a month. 

At the moment, it looks like @ccap41's suggestion might be the temporary solution.   Otherwise, if you scroll to the bottom and select Theme, you should be able to pick CGDefaut2 which puts you back on the older theme. 

No biggie. I understand that process more than you might realize. Website updates and maintenance are genuine pains in the butt sometimes. We do what we can do sometimes and just go with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

We're in a weird spot on the forum software. A new version of the software is currently in Beta, but the creator of this theme we use (a separate entity from the forum software manufacturer) appears to have gone out of business and is no longer offering support.  I don't want to spend the $50 to upgrade to a new theme when it might not be compatible with the next version of the forum software whcihcomes out in a few weeks to a month. 

At the moment, it looks like @ccap41's suggestion might be the temporary solution.   Otherwise, if you scroll to the bottom and select Theme, you should be able to pick CGDefaut2 which puts you back on the older theme. 

Thanks. Regardless of format we are a bunch of grouchy old men arguing about cars we will never drop coin to buy....and I love it that any...would not want it any other way.

Even if 'Blu regualrly soiling his depends means the Jeepiat needs a detail every few days....and a good airing out....(Horse ducks wrench thrown from Lancaster to Ohio....)(Just kidding bro!)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

@ccap41 Suggestion actually worked but I can’t figure why that started like that in the first place. I had no OS updates on my end so I knew that wasn’t the problem. Strange. Thanks for the tip @ccap41.  

👍 It started doing that probably last week for me and I tried that.. Not exactly sure the actual issue but it seems to work for now. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

No biggie. I understand that process more than you might realize. Website updates and maintenance are genuine pains in the butt sometimes. We do what we can do sometimes and just go with it.

Nothing in life runs according to plan...except for the trains in Musolini's Italy....

Just now, ccap41 said:

👍 It started doing that probably last week for me and I tried that.. Not exactly sure the actual issue but it seems to work for now. 

Exactly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 1.02.48 AM.png

Now that reminds me of an EV! :P 

I wonder if Rivian took inspiration from it. :lol:

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I'd assume in the future chargers will just be another piece of standard infrastructure in home construction, integrated into the electrical stuff..

Very true, Washington, Oregon and California actually require in all new home construction that EV chargers are now installed in the Garage. New Apartment and Condo units have to include charging areas.

So in this case, you retro fit the older homes or use public charging stations or move to a new home/apartment/condo if you want an EV charger.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dfelt said:

Very true, Washington, Oregon and California actually require in all new home construction that EV chargers are now installed in the Garage. New Apartment and Condo units have to include charging areas. 

Yes, as always, the West Coast is ahead of everywhere else..always on the leading edge. 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Well, it seems like the site doesn't want me to see any posts past the first page. This started a little over a week ago but whether I’m on the iPad, my phone, or computer, I get this never ending “loading” message whenever I try to go to another page of any thread here. Let me know when this is fixed because I have tried everything on my end.

@Drew Dowdell

 

E82BD3B9-78F5-4C06-9623-28D8D0BF7BA6.png

You should check your template your using, we had problems with the custom one and @Drew Dowdell had opened a ticket, since then, I went back to the default one and no problems like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes, as always, the West Coast is ahead of everywhere else..always on the leading edge. 

Sorry, but I found that a little humorous.  The West Coast can be sensory overload, too!

Wow, has anyone had the experience of giving back a rental car and then getting into their own decade old daily driver and feel like they're on "cloud nine?"  I recently turned in a rented Ford Focus with 36,000 miles on it that didn't ride well (alignment or balancing issues, at the very least) and that much talked about automatic transmission shudder was in evidence, like clockwork, at every 1 - 2 shift.  I was wondering if the transmission in the car would fail while in my tenure.  It didn't.  I sighed when I got out of it, got my belongings, and headed to board the plane.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...