TaurusSHO

Random Thoughts Thread

I love model railroads!

The Kirkland Washington Train Station store is just awesome! If your into trains check out their website, I can spend hours here looking and playing.

http://www.eastsidetrains.com/

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Trains!

My version of high speed rail

I watch that same video every few days....we think a lot alike.

More good vintage American  iron...

For the first time in awhile, I wish I could weld well. Thinking of taking some welding classes. Or Blacksmith...or both.

• Upvote 2

Trains! My version of high speed rail:

I like to watch that video with the sound turned off, so I can imagine it's a full electric train. That chugga-chugga noise is so annoying, and I'll bet the engine is dirty & sooty. ;)

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

I like trains.  Definitely would like to ride one of the Japanese bullet trains or French TGV.  I've ridden conventional trains in the UK, France and Italy and they were fun. 

Rode the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad here back in 2017..got to do it again sometime.  Sat up in an observation car to view the park and flora and fauna..

IMG-3086.JPG

IMG-3089.JPG

IMG-3095.JPG

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 4

'During' shot of a current job, Horsey you might appreciate. Circa 1.5-in thick Elm, stripping the bark off but leaving the edge live/natural. I really like how it's turning out so far. Going to be a bar top along an angled wall.

DSC05466.JPG

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I like to watch that video with the sound turned off, so I can imagine it's a full electric train. That chugga-chugga noise is so annoying, and I'll bet the engine is dirty & sooty. ;)

Don't worry, we have two members who will fight about a full electric conversion for that...

15 minutes ago, balthazar said:

'During' shot of a current job, Horsey you might appreciate. Circa 1.5-in thick Elm, stripping the bark off but leaving the edge live/natural. I really like how it's turning out so far. Going to be a bar top along an angled wall.

DSC05466.JPG

I love it!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

I like trains.  Definitely would like to ride one of the Japanese bullet trains or French TGV.  I've ridden conventional trains in the UK, France and Italy and they were fun. 

Rode the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad here back in 2017..got to do it again sometime.  Sat up in an observation car to view the park and flora and fauna..

IMG-3086.JPG

IMG-3089.JPG

IMG-3095.JPG

I rode the TGV from Paris to Avignon and back last August. Much better than flying.

• Upvote 1

Looks like my Amazon account was hacked.  Today I received what appears to be an apparatus for women to wear after they've had a double mastectomy.  Of course I did not order it.  Now when I try to go into my account, some random email address appears.  A couple of days ago, I got an email from Amazon confirming my wish to change my password and associated email address, and I never requested any change in my account info.  I cannot find a customer service telephone number on the Amazon site.  Plus I don't know if my card number on file for them was used to make this purchase.  Not sure who I can call to remedy the situation.  There is no packing slip inside the mailer.

2 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Looks like my Amazon account was hacked.  Today I received what appears to be an apparatus for women to wear after they've had a double mastectomy.  Of course I did not order it.  Now when I try to go into my account, some random email address appears.  A couple of days ago, I got an email from Amazon confirming my wish to change my password and associated email address, and I never requested any change in my account info.  I cannot find a customer service telephone number on the Amazon site.  Plus I don't know if my card number on file for them was used to make this purchase.  Not sure who I can call to remedy the situation.  There is no packing slip inside the mailer.

Sorry to hear about that.  

The first thing that you should do, and if you havent done so already,THEN WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WAITING FOR???!!!,  is call your credit card company to explain your situation and maybe even cancel your credit card!!!

Like lets go...do it now!!!

PRONTO! 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Can you see the order in your order list? If so, go in there and start the help process. Eventually, you will be able to get to the phone number to get ahold of Amazon. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Can you see the order in your order list?

Well when you go to Amazon.com, the home page recognizes you, but asks you to sign in, I click that and it takes me to the sign-in page, where I am greeted with the fake email address, as if it is mine.  It's like my account has been hijacked, and by clicking on that to get in, how do I know the Russian who did this won't gain access to more of my info?  Won't that be like opening a door for the hacker?  It's in a Prime mailer, I am not signed up for Prime.

EDIT:  I hit "sign in" this morning, and my credentials appeared.  When I clicked on it, it indicated "no account with that sign-in info", so I created a new account.  So of course it does not know me, all of my Amazon history is erased, so I can't check recent orders.  It is like my old account was taken from me for a bogus order.  So I will call my credit card company I guess and make sure I wasn't charged for this.

Edited by ocnblu

On 2/22/2019 at 11:06 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

MIA is such an absolute cluster these days. I don't know what their problem is. 

The city (MIA) is a mess.  Too many neighborhoods with unchecked sawgrass and chain link fences, if you know what I mean.  As for what they call "the beach" (Miami Beach),  it's too full of people, new high rise condos packed in, and is now just too expensive.  I remember it at a much quieter and less trendy time and it used to be decent.  Find a meter, put in some coins, go to the beach, and get some Cuban food.  Rinse.  Repeat.  Not now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, trinacriabob said:

The city (MIA) is a mess.  Too many neighborhoods with unchecked sawgrass and chain link fences, if you know what I mean.  As for what they call "the beach" (Miami Beach),  it's too full of people, new high rise condos packed in, and is now just too expensive.  I remember it at a much quieter and less trendy time and it used to be decent.  Find a meter, put in some coins, go to the beach, and get some Cuban food.  Rinse.  Repeat.  Not now.

I remember visiting Miami and Miami Beach as a teenager in the 80s when I lived in Marathon in the Keys...I can only imagine what it was like in the 40s--my Dad spent WW II w/ the Army stationed in Miami and the Virgin Islands.    My sister is looking into buying a condo in one of the high rises downtown or in the Brickell neighborhood for retirement, she loves it down there. 

• Upvote 2

In 1960, Florida had just under 5 million people and California had just under 15 million people.  For some reason, I was looking this up the other day.  Under 5 million people in Florida probably loudly proclaimed "come on down!"  And they did.  Including some of my not particularly likable relatives from New Jersey.

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Well when you go to Amazon.com, the home page recognizes you, but asks you to sign in, I click that and it takes me to the sign-in page, where I am greeted with the fake email address, as if it is mine.  It's like my account has been hijacked, and by clicking on that to get in, how do I know the Russian who did this won't gain access to more of my info?  Won't that be like opening a door for the hacker?  It's in a Prime mailer, I am not signed up for Prime.

EDIT:  I hit "sign in" this morning, and my credentials appeared.  When I clicked on it, it indicated "no account with that sign-in info", so I created a new account.  So of course it does not know me, all of my Amazon history is erased, so I can't check recent orders.  It is like my old account was taken from me for a bogus order.  So I will call my credit card company I guess and make sure I wasn't charged for this.

The other advice I give you is:

Online purchases...well, get yourself some prepaid credit cards and use those for online purchases. At least if your online shopping accounts get jacked, the pre-paid credit cards get used and you only lose the balance of those cards therefore minimizing your losses to just that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

The other advice I give you is:

Online purchases...well, get yourself some prepaid credit cards and use those for online purchases. At least if your online shopping accounts get jacked, the pre-paid credit cards get used and you only lose the balance of those cards therefore minimizing your losses to just that. 

That is great idea.  Seriously.   Did you folks know that, by default, Walmart's site stores your credit card?  I think that's the way it goes.  I buy household necessities there.  Other places, such as hotel chains, ASK you if they can.

Knock on wood, but in 20+ years of using Amazon, I've never had an account issue.  I use Prime for shopping every week, along w/ subscribing to several Prime streaming channels. 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

@ocnblu you might want to consider changing your email password too.

I would suggest all your accounts change the password and make sure you use the upper and lower letters, with symbols and numbers. That makes it much harder to hack.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Beefy ~

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 1.05.14 PM.png

Creepy ~

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 1.03.41 PM.png

Creepy makes me think someone loves their insect world! :P