TaurusSHO

Random Thoughts Thread

Seems South Korea has decided to hit VW hard for Diesel gate and ban 80 auto's from sale in South Korea.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/03/business/international/south-korea-volkswagen-emissions.html

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/audi-porsche-vw-emissions-south-korea/

As such, Audi, Porsche and VW are being hit hard for the Emissions cheating.

These stories come from a release from the Korean Herald.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190820000719#cb

Seems Tesla Giga Factory 3 is in debug phase for entering full production soon this coming fall.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-gigafactory-3-model-3-production-debugging-phase-video/

• Upvote 1

Tesla is driving a Diesel free fall in Norway with some models dropping 95% as EV/BEVs take off.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-drives-norway-diesel-freefall/

Is this what could happen as more EV/BEV/Hybrids options come to market?

image.png

Good Review

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Drew, a query:  why do the C&G forums have various sections dedicated to different topics?  It is such a quaint idear to have an organized forum.  Chaos reigns!  I am SHOCKED dfelt hasn't posted something about EVs droning on in the "What Are You Listening To?" thread.  Damn, really?

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Drew, a query:  why do the C&G forums have various sections dedicated to different topics?  It is such a quaint idear to have an organized forum.  Chaos reigns!  I am SHOCKED dfelt hasn't posted something about EVs droning on in the "What Are You Listening To?" thread.  Damn, really?

When you “like” a post about escalating (and not doing it) one day and later post the above on another day.

I am willing to bet that you wouldn’t have a problem with it if this were always about Diesels or basically anything else that doesn’t have the word “electric” in it. Get the F over it.

Edited by surreal1272

9 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Get the F over it.

You obviously haven't seen the forums page, and how it is organized into various headers, and under those headers, there are threads, each pertaining to the topic listed in the header.  Check it out some time!  You'll be surprised.  There's even a long-neglected alternative propulsion section here at C&G.  Have you seent it?

For example, this section of the forums is called "The Lounge".  We are in the "Random Thoughts" thread.  Be my guest... look up the word "random" in the dictionary.  Do you have one?

16 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

(and not doing it)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A very strange looking homemade crew cab Chebby

back%2520to%2520back%2520crew%2520cab.jpg

Another odd crew cab..

1964-Chevy-Crew-Cab-630x395.jpg

I like this one...

k4ewrqoi5du1pl8pgoqp-2.jpg

How about a Jeep FC crew cab? 

oijzlvu6kwjpuminawz4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

You obviously haven't seen the forums page, and how it is organized into various headers, and under those headers, there are threads, each pertaining to the topic listed in the header.  Check it out some time!  You'll be surprised.  There's even a long-neglected alternative propulsion section here at C&G.  Have you seent it?

For example, this section of the forums is called "The Lounge".  We are in the "Random Thoughts" thread.  Be my guest... look up the word "random" in the dictionary.  Do you have one?

Oh stop it drama queen. There was a conservation about the subject you hate prior to your interjection. What qualifies as a “random thought” anyway? I see the same things talked about on this thread all the time and no one has had a problem with it (unless is politics which gets shut down for obvious reasons). Want to solve YOUR problem about seeing anything to do with dfelts preferred subject matter? Add him to your “ignore” list and POOOF! Problem solved and you can stop acting like a baby about it. Again if his were about anything else you didn’t hate, you wouldn’t have a problem with it. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ocnblu said:

EV's are silent, ergo.....he isn't listening to an EV. 

37 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

🇺🇸

68895444_1303334796494351_4618386579726008320_o.jpg

i wanted one of those surplus trucks for the longest time when I was younger. 

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Must've been tough being King ~ 

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 11.12.51 PM copy.png

heck yes!

11 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Or you could just avoid being triggered by other peoples stupidity. It works well for me. You have fabulous automotive content....why don't you post some neat old truck pictures?

I have a rather intense curiosity into the conflict between the Israeli's and Palestinians, If i want to watch people fight, I will check out people who are serious about it. i come here to see cars...MORE of your fantastic vintage truck content, sir. I love it on Facebook, could stand every ounce of it you would bring to these humble pages. 

Warmest regards,

Chris, AKA Horse. 

• Thanks 1

The video is well worth watching, especially where they get the electric record and celebrate...what an accomplishment!

VW was hitting in the low 260s early on, but in the final approach was having difficulty hitting 245- I assume a byproduct of the depleting charge level- and after only a 6+ min run. Also; I realize it's a dedicated race car, but wow is that high-pitched whining annoying!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I think this is a perfect application of EV technology.

There's time to charge between daily uses if 120 miles total isn't enough and obviously overnight is more than enough time to start the day fully charged. 

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/23/blue-bird-school-bus-ev-delivered/

bluebird-electric-bus.jpg.194b04b715caa6de211d3c73fd31a245.jpg

Shhhhn! Be careful. That’s not very “random” of you. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, balthazar said:

😄 buses seem logical for BE power.... as long as $500,000 buses dont bump school taxes as they explode budgets.

Initial investment will be high but operating costs should be much lower year after year. I assume they have the break even point figured out. 

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

I question that... unless we’re talking about a time span far greater than the average life span of school buses (12 years). Many states have age ceilings that halt ‘fleet replacement funding’- one article I glanced at said 10 yrs. If a new bus costs about $75K, a BE version might be expected to sticker around $100-120K. $25K pays for a LOT of IC-specific maintenance...

Edited by balthazar

7 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Love this, the whine of the power train accelerating and deccelerating. Will take this over the ear blasting noise of a Harley bike that is not needed.

Tuned pipe is one thing like the Corvette, Mustang or Camaro, but over all, would rather have less sound and this ev was a blast to watch run. :metal:

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I question that... unless we’re talking about a time span far greater than the average life span of school buses (12 years).

I would assume Blue Bird puts on a presentation to the schools showing them a return on their investments. They aren't just going all willy nilly and throwing cash at something just because it's quieter. Either the school district or the state better have a functioning accounting department. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

At highway speeds the vast majority of noise from a given vehicle is tire & wind noise, not exhaust/engine noise.

I can’t hear my Duramax at 70MPH.

32 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I would assume Blue Bird puts on a presentation to the schools showing them a return on their investments. 

Maybe. School boards are notoriously ignorant/uncaring about costs. I have seen numerous examples of this.

EDIT :: I undershot the cost of an EV bus by a mile

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 4.02.34 PM.png

So now we're talking about $12,000/yr to maintain a diesel bus's IC-specific service points (tires & brakes, for example, are replaced on both). Diesels are amazingly low-maintenance… while of course diesel fuel costs more than electric, buses don't log many miles on average (FHA states the average year miles is only 8,000). 'Cheaper to operate' does NOT address the bottom line cost.

Edited by balthazar