MY thinking:

EV Bus :local kid pick up

Big D : Will do the more rural and farther routes

• Like 1

Does anyone remember service stations?

68703040_10211167478342684_1388564928251559936_o.jpg

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, regfootball said:

Sitting at a buick dealer. Why are buick gmc stores always such dead sad yucky places. Go to a Honda shop it’s hopping GM needs to figure out that their dealerships and sales strategies might be a big reason folks don’t go

I don't know about you, but I don't go there to hang out. That said, my Buick dealers have fully staffed cafes and nice lounge areas.

It was always a treat as a young boy, when Fall arrived, my uncle would drive me around to all the car dealers.  I would go in and gather up all the sales brochures for the new model year (and read them cover to cover) and we would drive around the back to try to catch a glimpse of the new cars before they were due to go on sale.  Sigh.  Completely different now.

Canadian street racers, 1960's.  Valiant.  Datsun.

69334495_10216022752594215_57073642848124928_n.jpg

Posted (edited)

^ You used 'datsun' and 'racer' in the same sentence! LOL!!!
- - - - - 

46 fire 2.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 11.06.15 AM.png

Edited by balthazar

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Wagons = BEVs :: 2% market penetration. 

Sadly wagons represent far less than that when it comes market penetration. (At least in the US anyway).

Edited by surreal1272
  • Sad 1

A couple random observations whilst watching a good British police drama (Line of Duty) this past week.... the Brits do seem to love their estates (wagons)...the Ford Mondeo and Vauxhall Insignia wagons have sharp, striking shapes..   

And the trope about M-B taxis even pops up in a TV drama...one character (a lawyer) was driving a black late model Mercedes E-class sedan while spying on his wife, and there is a line about a random person walking up to it thinking it's a 'minicab' (British for private taxi/black car service).  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't know about you, but I don't go there to hang out. That said, my Buick dealers have fully staffed cafes and nice lounge areas.

no one goes to hang out but so many of the newer dealerships are honda, nissan, vw, import name places, and they have really nice areas to sit with fancy coffee machines and those areas generally are really nice spaces to be in.  So if you are getting an oil change, it feels more like a coffee shop or food spot that you like to spend time at.  

my ultimate point was that there were no SHOPPERS there at the dealership either.  Some Buick spots are way better than others, i just think 50% of the Buick GMC dealerships maybe get it, and the other 50% are probably in business until dad the owner dies...its like they haven't a clue about how people shop for vehicles these days.  You gotta have a place people like to go to, and market enough so shoppers are drawn to the business....that is my parting shot at non best price dealerships.  

I don’t drink coffee and the only time I can recall waiting for service vs. leaving is for tires in a stand-alone tire shop. I have far too busy a schedule to sit for hours and finger chair upholstery.

• Upvote 1

My local FCA dealer remodeled their waiting room in the last year..it's pretty decent now, adjacent to the showroom w/ a nice coffee machine and tvs.   The previous one looked like it was left over from the 70s--was right next to the service bays and service counter and very loud w/ grubby carpeting. 

When I went in for an oil change, mirror replacement and other maintenance in June I camped out a few hours w/ my laptop and worked and it was fine. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

It was always a treat as a young boy, when Fall arrived, my uncle would drive me around to all the car dealers.  I would go in and gather up all the sales brochures for the new model year (and read them cover to cover) and we would drive around the back to try to catch a glimpse of the new cars before they were due to go on sale.  Sigh.  Completely different now.

Thank goodness for the Internet, you can now save all that time looking online, download any PDF file you want on a specific product line all from the comfort of your bed. 

Decide what is of interest to go look at, then get up, shower, get styling and go check out the ones of interest. So much more efficient in the 21st century.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I do kind of miss some aspects of the pre-internet era as far as cars in that new cars were released usually around the same time every year... and the magazines would always have their new car issues which were full of surprises..always looked forward to Car & Driver's annual 'Charting the Changes' issue.    Today with new car announcements year round and online it's all pretty predicable and nothing is a surprise... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I do kind of miss some aspects of the pre-internet era as far as cars in that new cars were released usually around the same time every year... and the magazines would always have their new car issues which were full of surprises..always looked forward to Car & Driver's annual 'Charting the Changes' issue.    Today with new car announcements year round and online it's all pretty predicable and nothing is a surprise... 

So true and it made the Auto Shows more relevant as you actually would go to see the new releases and check them out. Now it is just a single stop sales athon mess. I will say having the autos on hand to test drive is much better than in the past.

One thing I have never gotten is those that refuse to even go to a dealership to test drive and check out the auto, do 100% online even the purchase and wait for the dealership to come to them to drop off the auto and then they bitch about the auto when they could have saved buyers remorse by getting off their ass and into the dealership. I DO NOT feel sorry for such lazy people.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

One thing I have never gotten is those that refuse to even go to a dealership to test drive and check out the auto, do 100% online even the purchase and wait for the dealership to come to them to drop off the auto and then they bitch about the auto when they could have saved buyers remorse by getting off their ass and into the dealership. I DO NOT feel sorry for such lazy people.

Yeah,  I couldn't imagine buying a vehicle without actually seeing it in person or test driving it.  

When I bought my CPO JGC in 2017,  I did a bunch of research online and checked the inventories of the various dealers around Phoenix and zeroed in on a specific vehicle that had the right equipment/mileage/price combo that I was looking for.  Didn't seriously consider any other brands.   Then I went to the dealer on a Friday afternoon and asked to see and test drive that specific vehicle.      I was time bound in some sense in that I was in the midst of moving to Ohio and my old Jeep was dying, so I moved pretty quickly. 

A lot of people buy used cars on eBay and other sites and have them shipped to them, haven't tried that yet, not sure if I would.  

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Thank goodness for the Internet, you can now save all that time looking online, download any PDF file you want on a specific product line all from the comfort of your bed. 

Decide what is of interest to go look at, then get up, shower, get styling and go check out the ones of interest. So much more efficient in the 21st century.

Really?  You just don't get it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ You used 'datsun' and 'racer' in the same sentence! LOL!!!

Most likely the Valiant was equipped with a leaning tower of power.  Maybe it was a close race. 

36 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Really?  You just don't get it.

26 years in the biz yet it is you who doesn’t get it. More and more folks are using the internet to do just that so enjoy being left behind if you seriously think that he doesn’t get it. 

• Upvote 2

Undergrowth - Vincent Van Gogh, 1887

69111742_2550304445035349_4770964412448112640_o.jpg

• Upvote 3

Quality over Quantity is a thing some people do not get when they cling to hard to a static past as being the best life could ever offer.

It is also why various society's have perished. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

26 years in the biz yet it is you who doesn’t get it. More and more folks are using the internet to do just that so enjoy being left behind if you seriously think that he doesn’t get it. 

I was 12 years old in 1976.  What is this internet you speak of.  My post was about being a young, car crazy kid.  It was the age of innocence.  When things were simple and true.  Injecting the internet into a nostalgic post is clueless.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I was 12 years old in 1976.  What is this internet you speak of.  My post was about being a young, car crazy kid.  It was the age of innocence.  When things were simple and true.  Injecting the internet into a nostalgic post is clueless.

Disagree as the point is that that was then and now we have better moving forward and pointing to the past without pointing out the better in the current and how we will get even better in the future is what the end point is about.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Disagree as the point is that that was then and now we have better moving forward and pointing to the past without pointing out the better in the current and how we will get even better in the future is what the end point is about.

What language is this?

14 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Quality over Quantity is a thing some people do not get when they cling to hard to a static past as being the best life could ever offer.

It is also why various society's have perished. 

• Downvote 1