TaurusSHO

Random Thoughts Thread

Found some pics of racing at Put-in-Bay in the early 1960s..they are having a vintage sports car race event next month, may go to that.

preview-2.jpeg

preview.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The lower photo, aren't the oldest cars Holdens?

69241586_2457634080949003_5128052726491512832_o.jpg

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

The lower photo, aren't the oldest cars Holdens?

I think so.  The two sedans towards the back.   No idea why they would be in Ohio in the 60s though.  

Edit: That pic came from a website about the PIB races, but I suspect they grabbed a pic from a later Australian race—the Valiant appears RHD.  And there is a 65 Mustang in there, and the last PIB race was 63.   

When I was out there yesterday, I saw several markers that indicated the route of the original races, and I remembered a Road & Track article I’d read about it years ago.  A neat footnote in the history of racing in Ohio.  

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Question : in looking at vintage press photos, it was common (up into the '50s) to take photos of auto accident victims while the bodies were still on scene/in the pic. No gore or blood, you understand. Of course, it's never done in the press today.

Does this sort of thing offend you?  1952 :

52 3fatal.png

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Question : in looking at vintage press photos, it was common (up into the '50s) to take photos of auto accident victims while the bodies were still on scene/in the pic. No gore or blood, you understand. Of course, it's never done in the press today.

Does this sort of thing offend you?  1952 :

52 3fatal.png

Nope, just life. appreciate you posting our history so we can observe, learn and make the future better.

Thank you,

Posted (edited)

Sometimes, the past holds the key to making things better, because it WAS better in the past. :) 

57 FC.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/22/2019 at 4:02 PM, dfelt said:

The Drive is saying that Lexus has confirmed they will not build a car to compete with Tesla but instead go the route of a small Urban Hatchback for inner city owners / drivers. I get a total Smart Car vibe on this 2 door 2 person auto and think it will be a FAIL for them.

image.png

I do not like Lexus.  Not my thing.  However, this is, at the very least, interesting ...  Lexus's equivalent of the Smart Car.  Hopefully, there's a nifty low price to match its size.

I have driven Smart Cars about 5 or 6 times ... as rentals in Europe.  Twice they were a "For Four" (better) and the remainder of the time they were the two-seaters.  Let me tell you, if you have one small suitcase and a small backpack or personal item, there is nothing finer for tooling around Sicily or making your way through the small streets of Lisbon, and all the better with a (nevertheless sh!tty) automatic trans.  While the Smart's trans is dismal, the ride is surprisingly okay for being so damn small.  They feel like slightly bigger cars, until a truck goes whizzing by you in the adjacent lane on the highway! To own one would be a NO.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Hopefully, there's a nifty low price to match its size.

And I hope true tailfins come back. Let's bet on who's dream comes true first. ;)

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, balthazar said:

'70 Gen 3 Corvair proposal ~ 

70 Corvair.png

The side window treatment and front fender remind me a lot of the early 70s Holden Monaro coupe. 

v8-holden-hq-gts-monaro-aussie-car-2400x1350-wallpaper.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 3

^ No doubt a direct influence.
- - - - -

Amazing to see the pictures of America before the EPA was formed and regulated trash/ dumping.

Hand-in-hand with the EPA's efforts was the vast erosion of manufacturing in the U.S. over that time period. 

Posted (edited)

A stellar example of the present F'ing up what the past offered :

46 Hud 2.png

46 Hud 3.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, balthazar said:

A stellar example of the present F'ing up what the past offered :

46 Hud 2.png

46 Hud 3.png

Not sure what your really meaning, Hudson went out of business, the owner of the property got a different business to go in to keep making money. 

Every business has different needs for the property, so how did the present fuck up what the past offered? 🤔

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Architecturally / aesthetically. One is clean & presentable, the other is an eyesore.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Architecturally / aesthetically. One is clean & presentable, the other is an eyesore.

Got It! 👍

The Hudson Minimalist building design versus the Maximalist overkill design of the Mattress business.

Yea, also does not help that the Mattress business clearly has not taken car of the outside as the ugly colors plus the falling down awning covers, your right, it looks very trashy.

Very cool tool to see what your state top auto's are:

https://autoalliance.org/economy/consumer-choice/

You can pick the state you want to look at, default is the whole state or you can select the district you are in and default is light trucks, but then you just have to click on any of the other choices below light trucks and see where you align compared to the rest of the country.

Washington state is #1 in the country for Hybrid auto sales and #2 behind California for EVs. Amazing was that Vermont is #1 in the country for the youngest average age of auto's in the state at 9.7 years compared to Montana which has the oldest average age of 16.3 years old. Guess if you want a project auto, look to Montana to find some old Iron. :P 

image.png

Some very cool auto news stories came out today.

This was done by Ford earlier in the year but now written up about the major retooling that took 11,000 people and 30 days to gut their oldest assembly plant and install over 600 robots, 500 new machines plus upgrade cafeteria, etc. in preparation for building the new Ford Explorer and Aviator.

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/ford-explorer-launch-required-major-redo-aging-plant

1CAP-MAIN_i.jpg

1DEMO-03_i.jpg

Here is the latest update in regards to which Auto Companies are going to feel it more at the bottom line from the Trade war with China.

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/bmw-mercedes-ford-most-risk-new-tariffs

Ford, BMW and Mercedes will be hurt the most by the newest increase in Tariffs. OUCH!

BMW Leads with 12% of their sales in China coming from the US. This is the X3, X5 and X6 plus a few other crossovers and cars that from from the Charleston S.C. assembly plant.

BMW and Daimler corporation, Mercedes Benz has 57% of the auto's they sell in China coming from the US assembly plants.

VW is now exploring buying ownership in China suppliers with a focus on buying up as much battery suppliers as they can along with other material suppliers such as Carbon Fiber and Aluminum.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-23/vw-is-said-to-explore-buying-stakes-in-chinese-auto-suppliers

• Like 1

Loving this project auto as the Germans cannot beat the pure heart of a quality small block American V8. 1973 Porsche 914 has the air cooled engine dropped out and some customization work done as the owner moves a GM small block to motivate the 914 to new highs. https://www.thedrive.com/news/29561/widebody-1973-porsche-914-with-chevrolet-v-8-will-make-purists-weep

image.png

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ No doubt a direct influence.
- - - - -

Hand-in-hand with the EPA's efforts was the vast erosion of manufacturing in the U.S. over that time period. 

And this is a really complex situation and not nearly as simple as it is made out to be.

Image may contain: sky, train and outdoor
  • Upvote 1