Jump to content
TaurusSHO

Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Let's hope they stay true to the roots and keep it a RWD SUV rather than a FWD CUV based. If they do that I think it will still sell but loose some off road creds for a FWD/AWD CUV.

It's already common knowledge the Bronco will be based on the Ranger, so it will be RWD/BOF.  

Now the baby Bronco (rumored to be Bronco Scout) will be FWD CUV since it's based on the Escape. 

  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Happy Birthday @dwightlooi!!

:sign0072:

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Birthday @dwightlooi It has been great having you share your auto engine knowledge.

Thank you!

happy birthday GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In other news, seems a number of key states have officially fallen into a recession from mid-west to east coast. 

Pennsylvania alone shed 8,000 manufacturing jobs this year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-09-09/a-manufacturing-recession-could-cost-trump-a-second-term

Seems a wide diverse group of manufactures from auto company suppliers to farm equipment manifactures are in contraction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ A number of manufacturers have seen contractions, not their state. Business is cyclical for a wide range of reasons, it has always been this way.
Buick sold 737K in '55 and 404K in '57. In the same period, Plymouth sold 401K and 762K.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turn down the sound as it is a political advertisement....but liked seeing a Camaro in this clip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, balthazar said:

^ A number of manufacturers have seen contractions, not their state. Business is cyclical for a wide range of reasons, it has always been this way.
Buick sold 737K in '55 and 404K in '57. In the same period, Plymouth sold 401K and 762K.

And by '58, the country was in a recession. In your example, a luxury make drops significantly while a budget brand goes up. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 2:42 PM, Robert Hall said:

Speaking of the Gladiator, got a fold out Gladiator mini-brochure (top edge shaped like a mountain range) in the mail along w/ a card from my CDJR dealer inviting me in to test drive the Gladiator...

unnamed-8.jpg

The clutter around that desk gives me anxiety. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

And by '58, the country was in a recession. In your example, a luxury make drops significantly while a budget brand goes up. 

True, but the recession didn't hit until ‘58. And while things improved for ‘59-60, Buick still went lower than ‘57 in those 2 years. Point was: “a wide range of factors” contributes to business health. Looking at a single business as support for a national health is disingenuous, even if that singular example supports the national trend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The clutter around that desk gives me anxiety. 

Yeah, I'm definitely not a clean-desk type of worker...I have no fear of clutter. 

7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

True, but the recession didn't hit until ‘58. And while things improved for ‘59-60, Buick still went lower than ‘57 in those 2 years. Point was: “a wide range of factors” contributes to business health. Looking at a single business as support for a national health is disingenuous, even if that singular example supports the national trend.

That's data from over 60 years ago, though...how is relevant to today?   The job market and the nature of the economy is very different today.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, I'm definitely not a clean-desk type of worker...I have no fear of clutter. 

My desk isn't spotless but I can't let it get cluttered with useless stuff like THE PREVIOUS DAY(S) CALENDAR DATES! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

My desk isn't spotless but I can't let it get cluttered with useless stuff like THE PREVIOUS DAY(S) CALENDAR DATES! 

Sometimes I get busy and get behind a week or so on the calendar.   When the weather is nice, I tend to not work at that desk and instead sit out on the patio most of the day w/ my laptop. 

 

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2518.HEIC

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Robert Hall said:

Sometimes I get busy and get behind a week or so on the calendar.

I get that, I've done that before. I don't/won't understand leaving them on the desk and not throwing them away though... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

That's data from over 60 years ago, though...how is relevant to today?   The job market and the nature of the economy is very different today.

How often to you think principles of commerce & economics are reinvented?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, balthazar said:

How often to you think principles of commerce & economics are reinvented?

The higher level stuff? Every 20 years or so.

 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 7:01 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

I will loose my Ford hater card for posting this, but i am interested in the Bronco when it comes out. I think it will be an interesting little buggy.... 

depends on what you want....the cost of cars seems to have gone up really substantially. 

 

I actually find it attractive. 

I’m excited to see it as well.....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Built on bus bodies and road terribly according to reports.

More of a publicity stunt than an actual train, but cool looking none the less. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

A real train from the era....

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Built on bus bodies and road terribly according to reports.

Wasnt it a functional concept; or was it put into production?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a guy that for 13yrs has been tuning regular auto's to sound like F1 race cars. 

While cool skill, not really sure I am a fan of a high pitch sound on a big block motor.

 

https://jalopnik.com/meet-the-quiet-japanese-tuner-who-makes-your-old-merced-1831320490 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Wasnt it a functional concept; or was it put into production?

The Aerotrain? There were a few demonstrators built. And several of the railways tried them out for extended runs. 

From Wikipedia:

 It utilized the experimental EMD LWT12 power car (U.S. Patent D177,814), coupled to a set of modified GM Truck & Coach Division 40-seat intercity highway bus bodies (U.S. Patent D179,006). The cars each rode on two axles with an air suspension system, which was intended to give a smooth ride, but had the opposite effect.

GM-Aerotrain-2.jpg

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...