TaurusSHO

Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Another Big 80s GM biggie I've always liked since seeing them back in the day was the Electra Park Avenue...love the crisp lines of the C- bodies of that era.

An Aunt had a blue one, tried to talk my Dad into test driving Buicks or Cadillacs, but he was a Lincoln Town Car man...

69730e370efa45a326b6559e48f8fce2.jpg

752fed5cda3b7a303d454a4b582fcff9.jpg

My dad was the opposite.  Ford-Lincoln-Mercury or Chrysler?  No way.  For him, Buick was his first choice, with Olds being a close second.  Cadillac was not in his price point and would not have worked well with the crustier aspects of his personality.

That "deuce and a quarter" in coupe form looks surprisingly nice and the vinyl top appears to be a full one.  What a beauty!

46 minutes ago, balthazar said:

i LOATHE velour upholstery (and tweed). I'd rather sit on a beach towel over bare springs.

I'm taking that to mean just velour and tweed, but that other types of cloth seats are acceptable to you.

Once a person has burned their legs on vinyl/leather seating while wearing shorts and driving in a desert climate, vinyl/leather are no longer an option ... for me.

Edited by trinacriabob

It is funny, but usually I don't like white cars, but love white Cadillacs w/ red interiors...as an impressionable teenager i loved the '86 Fleetwood Brougham in 'Color of Money'...

I love this burgundy cloth interior...

1991-brougham-delegance-16.jpg

Plush Red Velvet! :D

• Haha 1

Yeah- standard upholstery is fine. So is vinyl if its good stuff.
Going to do the B-59's interior in something period; '56-59 seems to be my sweet spot for some wild/cool upholstery patterns.

seat B-58 1 •••.jpg

seat M-56.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

My dad was the opposite.  Ford-Lincoln-Mercury or Chrysler?  No way.  For him, Buick was his first choice, with Olds being a close second.  Cadillac was not in his price point and would not have worked well with the crustier aspects of his personality.

Yeah, my Dad pretty much only bought Ford-Lincoln-Mercury products for nearly 50 years.   Exceptions included a Hino Contessa when they lived in Saipan in the 60s, a '79 Dodge Power Wagon pickup, and an '81 Chevette as a dinghy for the RV. 

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Once a person has burned their legs on vinyl/leather seating while wearing shorts and driving in a desert climate, vinyl/leather are no longer an option ... for me.

Problem is leather is about all that is available anymore in anything remotely 'premium'.    I used sheepskin seat covers in Arizona. 

• Upvote 1

My father's father had a string of new Pontiacs from their peak years: '55, '57, '63, '66, '69, '72, '75 [then Olds; '82, '89 and Cadillac; '78, '97, '03]. Always new. He passed away in '16.

My father got the '63 because he hated his '62 Biscayne, so his father traded it on the '66 instead of the '63. Then dad got a '70 and a '77 [then moved to Buicks; '89, '98, '06]. He & mom have a '12 Cruze now (sold the '06 last year), looking to replace it in the spring. Considering a small CUV. I should see if he likes the Tour-X.

The ones from above that I personally knew were the '70 & '77, because dad always ran his cars a long time [the '70 until '80, the '77 until '95]. I can dimly remember grandpa's '72 & '75 [the '75 got totaled in '78], but it's the ones after that I knew well from his cars.

The Pontiacs I've had were '64, '64, '65, '64, '65, '66, '65, '60. The first '64 is the only one I still own. But despite the above lists, I gravitated to Pontiacs on my own; my father has never been a 'car guy' and his 2 Pontiacs weren't particularly aspirational ('70 Catalina 4-dr sedan, '77 Catalina Safari wagon).

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, dfelt said:

Seems the T-Roc from VW has entered production finally.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/04/volkswagen-t-roc-cabriolet-production/

BMW seems to not get many to pay for Apple auto play on a recurring bases, as such all 2019 and 2020 models moving forward will now have it as normal free feature.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/04/bmw-free-apple-carplay/

Convertible crossovers... The only class of vehicle that i dislike more than coupe crossovers. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Convertible crossovers... The only class of vehicle that i dislike more than coupe crossovers. 

I kind of like them because they are so unique and that they take away the practical use of crossovers.   It would be even cooler if they did a folding hard roof version---that could work as a 2dr hardtop crossover.    I'd love to see a full size luxury SUV in such a bodystyle--a Lincoln Navigator or Escalade 2dr hardtop/cabriolet, for example...   something different from the usual predictable 5dr CUV or SUV...

Edited by Robert Hall

16 hours ago, dfelt said:

Seems the T-Roc from VW has entered production finally.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/04/volkswagen-t-roc-cabriolet-production/

BMW seems to not get many to pay for Apple auto play on a recurring bases, as such all 2019 and 2020 models moving forward will now have it as normal free feature.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/04/bmw-free-apple-carplay/

“I’m giving you a Convertible CUV”

Or they could just serve me a bowl of vomit and skip a step.

• Haha 2

I kind of like them because they are so unique and that they take away the practical use of crossovers.   It would be even cooler if they did a folding hard roof version---that could work as a 2dr hardtop crossover.    I'd love to see a full size luxury SUV in such a bodystyle--a Lincoln Navigator or Escalade 2dr hardtop/cabriolet, for example...   something different from the usual predictable 5dr CUV or SUV...

I would love a two door Escalade at my point in life, no need for 4 doors as I do not carry anyone other than the wife pretty much now.

Something like this would do:

But smaller rims as I hate these runflat rims/tires that ride like shit.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I prefer to not pay tens-of-thousands of dollars for my bowls of vomit. 

But its a convertible vomit!! Blows right out the back of the car lol!

Edited by surreal1272
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

I would love a two door Escalade at my point in life, no need for 4 doors as I do not carry anyone other than the wife pretty much now.

Something like this would do

But smaller rims as I hate these runflat rims/tires that ride like shit.

Heh-heh... I'd like to see a shop that is creative w/ the cut and paste build a 2dr retractable roof Escalade coupe, using the roof and decklid from an XLR.   It's too bad they didn't build a 2dr retractable roof coupe version of the ATS or CTS...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, USA-1 said:

Plush Red Velvet! :D

Most likely a 100% polyester-nylon blend to make the velour go the long haul.  The burgundy cloth bucket seats in my last car held up unscathed over a dozen years, including the driver's seat.  Either way, you have a rolling bordello.

What I like is the "craftsmanship" and detail in those "old schoolz," the cool street name for those sorts of sleds. If you've experienced them at some point in your life, you'll never forget them.  If you're a millennial or born even later, this whole discussion might be meaningless.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Most likely a 100% polyester-nylon blend to make the velour go the long haul.  The burgundy cloth bucket seats in my last car held up unscathed over a dozen years, including the driver's seat.  Either way, you have a rolling bordello.

What I like is the "craftsmanship" and detail in those "old schoolz," the cool street name for those sorts of sleds. If you've experienced them at some point in your life, you'll never forget them.  If you're a millennial or born even later, this whole discussion might be meaningless.

One thing I like a lot about the older cars are the colorful interiors and horizontal dash designs...more interesting than the lumpy 50-shades-of-gray plastic interiors that became so common in the 90s...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/27/2015 at 11:09 AM, SalesmanSean said:

I find it fascinating how two people who grew up in the same household, with the same kinds of influences around them can develop to have such drastically different ways of doing things.How on earth did my siblings and I (one in particular) manage to take such vastly different lessons from the way we were raised?  Or did the problems come from something after moving away from home?

Impossible to tell.  I think that birth order and gender order among a brood of kids, which are not pop psychology topics, have something to do with it.  There are the classic expectations of the first born.  There is the lengthened leash given to the last born.  There is also how closely spaced apart kids are and whether or not there are jealousies as older kids are confronted with younger siblings they have to share with.  Then, there is the parenting style and whether the parents were functional, dysfunctional, or a little of both. And it goes on and on and on.  I think I'll stop now.

• Upvote 1

On 12/5/2019 at 12:59 PM, trinacriabob said:

Yep, kids now days don't get it. Build quality and the plush seats in Cadillac's of yore were like hanging out on a comfy velour couch at great grandma's house.

• Upvote 3

Figured something had to come to replace the Golf.  This looks like a very good entry into the segment.  The Golf was really good too the last few generations but did not catch on here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, regfootball said:

Now VW is getting into the Trailblazer Encore class.....

https://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/tarek

The name is cracking me up...a good friend from grad school is named Tarek... I'll have to ask him what he thinks of this...

7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The name is cracking me up...a good friend from grad school is named Tarek... I'll have to ask him what he thinks of this...

They stole their name, they should sue! :P