TaurusSHO

Random Thoughts Thread

Just now, dfelt said:

They stole their name, they should sue! :P

Heh-heh..I have no idea what the name means, but he's from Egypt..have to ask him. 

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Heh-heh..I have no idea what the name means, but he's from Egypt..have to ask him. 

Depending on the web you read, evening caller or Morning Star, seems to have many meanings. Be interested to hear what he thinks his name means.

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Depending on the web you read, evening caller or Morning Star, seems to have many meanings. Be interested to hear what he thinks his name means.

Be interesting to see what VW says it means...this CUV is called 'Tharu' in other markets.

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

Another bland generic FWD/4-banger appliance CUV boredom pod.

Yet your boredom Potato is others Hot Tomato. :P 

After all VW has been serving the peoples auto from the beginning. LOL

38 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Hope people love the smell of Coffee. :P  

One of the best smells in the world...that fuel that starts my day, every day...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nations Largest Trucking Firm Celadon to Declare bankruptcy by Dec 11th and strand as many as 3,200 truckers across the nation. In 2019 640 trucking firms have declared Bankruptcy among one of the largest turn downs in Freight industry as only 175 firms declared bankruptcy in 2018 due to a reduction freight in the country for the last 11 months.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/an-american-trucking-giant-is-slated-to-declare-bankruptcy-—-and-it-may-leave-more-than-3200-truck-drivers-stranded-and-jobless/ar-BBXXdx6?li=BBnb7Kz

ROFLMAO, Canada sure likes their Snow, Columbian Snow for Xmas! :roflmao:

image.png

20 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Better than the original!  :smilewide:

Check the date ::

On 11/22/2019 at 12:18 AM, balthazar said:

It looks like it was built with cardboard and a few cans of spray paint.

No; it doesn't look better. The problem is; it doesn't look worse.

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1

Crap modern design : wonky front overhangs, poor greenhouse-to-body proportions, janky fascia profiles, poor cohesiveness front-to-back, arbitrary surface treatments, too many body seams.

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 8.51.53 PM.png

Edited by balthazar

Well I can't understand a word he's saying, but here it is, an exclusive preview of the 2021 Dodge Neon!  😉

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Crap modern design : wonky front overhangs, poor greenhouse-to-body proportions, janky fascia profiles, poor cohesiveness front-to-back, arbitrary surface treatments, too many body seams.

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 8.51.53 PM.png

Way to go comparing RWD platform to FWD, comparing coupe to sedan.  How about comparing apples to apples?

2019-bmw-4-series-coupe-side-view-carbuz

• Upvote 1

I'll give you the FWD aspect- tho the majority of cars on the road by volume today are FWD; most have this proportion.
The 2-dr aspect is immaterial tho; the BMW and the lexus have identical greenhouses. In fact the B-Pillar barely moves:

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 8.16.24 AM.png

Funny for the old you chose a '49-50 Merc, a lumpy humpy that looks like a bar of soap...very boring design, IMO.   Not a high point of past design, IMO...

I'm no fan of custom cars, they are usually weird and only of interest to the individual that designed them, but I do find this '61 Olds that popped up on Hemmings today rather appealing...love the skegs...interesting custom taillights that eliminated the round light cutouts in the decklid corners.   But the grille is no improvement over the recessed shaver elements stock grille, IMO. 

dsc-5996jpg.jpg

dsc-5295-v2jpg.jpg

dsc-6116jpg.jpg

I think the beauty and proportions are very individual.  I am not a big fan of cars designed in 60-70, huge land barges.  A lot of them have very awkward proportions, too much chrome.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ykX said:

I think the beauty and proportions are very individual.  I am not a big fan of cars designed in 60-70, huge land barges.  A lot of them have very awkward proportions, too much chrome.

It's definitely individual, depends on one's own reality context.. 50s and before seem like they are from an ancient world before my time.  If I were 75-85, maybe I'd like them more...I can appreciate seeing them in museums or at a car show, but nothing from before the 60s really connects to me--it's from someone else's era.

On the other hand, cars from the 60s through the 80s, are recent enough that I remember seeing them on the road in quantity growing up and rode in/drove some of them...I like the longer, lower wider styling of the mid 60s to the late 70s, with around 1965 and 1971 being sweet spots, IMO.  There is a lot from the 80s I like also... 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

It's definitely individual, depends on one's own reality context.. 50s and before seem like they are from an ancient world before my time.  If I were 75-85, maybe I'd like them more...I can appreciate seeing them in museums or a show, but nothing from before the 60s really connects to me--it's from someone else's era.

On the other hand, cars from the 60s through the 80s, are recent enough that I remember seeing them on the road in quantity growing up and rode in/drove some of them...I like the longer, lower wider styling of the mid 60s to the late 70s, with around 1965 and 1971 being sweet spots, IMO.  There is a lot from the 80s I like also... 

I wish I was more aware of cars as I would have told my Grandma to give me her 71 or 72 2-door Orange Buick Skylark hard top with fake white roof and big block V8. She drove that car like hell on wheels and it was a blast. Would love to have it now.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

...nothing from before the 60s really connects to me--it's from someone else's era.

Isn’t ‘your era’ 70s-80s tho, and not the 60s?

We’re the same age bracket; I’m not 75-85 and I can appreciate design from the 50s & 40s. Good design, commonly done by one artist rather than a committee.

No one in my family or friends or neighbors had 40s-50s vehicles when I was ‘coming of automotive age’. 

Always good to look outside one’s own bubble. Art transcends time.

• Upvote 2

I am actually in my mid-forties now and I like cars from 40s and 50s.  Don't like much from 60s (except Mustang and Camaro), Like very little from 70s and 80s. 90s and up are more to my liking.

13 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Isn’t ‘your era’ 70s-80s tho, and not the 60s?

We’re the same age bracket; I’m not 75-85 and I can appreciate design from the 50s & 40s. Good design, commonly done by one artist rather than a committee.

No one in my family or friends or neighbors had 40s-50s vehicles when I was ‘coming of automotive age’. 

Always good to look outside one’s own bubble. Art transcends time.

60s less so than 70s-80s, certainly..but there were still a lot of '60s cars around when I was growing up and a bunch of them in my family.  Having two Baby Boomer siblings helped also, I'm sure...I like a lot of 60s music as well. 

I can certainly appreciate things from before my time--my house is from the late 60s, I love art deco/streamline moderne/MCM architecture, love classical music and going to the symphony, going to classic rock concerts, going to museums.....I can enjoy looking at older cars at museums or car shows, but would probably find them disappointing to drive. 

• Upvote 1