Random Thoughts Thread

17 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Merry Christmas everyoneCheers-and-Gears-Holiday-Card-2019-2[9204].jpg

Merry Xmas and Happy New Years Drew and to all the amazing members here at Cheers and Gears! :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• balthazar

• David

• Robert Hall

• ocnblu

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

• • • ORDERED A TRUCK TODAY. • • •

2021 GMC Sierra Elevation crew cab / 6.5' bed. 3.0L DuraMax / 10-spd.   It's only money.

Been away for a while.. summer stuff.. figured I'd get out an live while the weather was warm. Decided to get back into riding bikes.. had given it up back in '05 after my then wife (now ex) had issue

Posted Images

Merry Christmas OR Happy Holidays ... and a Happy New Year ... to all of C&G.

May Santa have succeeded in getting down your chimney and being able to fit the car of your dreams into your gift stocking.

• Upvote 3

Had a good Christmas, low key..great weather here, 60 and sunny now...unseasonably mild for Cleveland.   Unfortunately, fighting a cold and sinus infection.   Not fun on a week off... but getting a lot of rest...

• Upvote 3

@surreal1272 Very nice ride, congratulations. If your willing to invest, there are great 20" rim tires you can get that give long life. Bridgestone, Michelin, I have used them on all my auto's and they have always lasted longer than the mileage warranty.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, dfelt said:

@surreal1272 Very nice ride, congratulations. If your willing to invest, there are great 20" rim tires you can get that give long life. Bridgestone, Michelin, I have used them on all my auto's and they have always lasted longer than the mileage warranty.

These tires seem pretty decent (will have to look at the brand again when I have daylight because I don’t recall them right now) but at that seize, they are pricy as hell and mine are about to see a lot fo miles. I’ll look those up though just to compare them out. Thanks.

Edit: They are Nitto Brand tires.

Edited by surreal1272

My ‘14 Grand Cherokee has 20s, and I’ve been happy with the Michelin Defenders I put on it a couple years ago.  Been very good the last 3 winters.  

Beautiful weather today, 65 degrees.  Took a drive up the coast this afternoon to a beach and stopped at several parks along the coast on the way home.  

12619941-6B23-491C-9231-260E88010B3C.jpeg

95B4DBB6-2C0C-45F3-AE51-42FE584350EC.jpeg

9E45799D-8D48-4C81-B12C-48E54FBD53A8.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Never thought I say it- but the Flex has grown on me....love the thing now!  Congrats! Looks good in Silver!

Took one to Chicago with my boss to Chicago.....handled that trip with comfort and class! 🙂

Keep us updated on her!

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Never thought I say it- but the Flex has grown on me....love the thing now!  Congrats! Looks good in Silver!

Took one to Chicago with my boss to Chicago.....handled that trip with comfort and class! 🙂

Keep us updated on her!

It’s getting ready to go on a cross country drive back to NC so I’ll update it’s “performance” once I get situated there. So far, I love how it drives. It really is the hidden gem in a sea of mundane CUVs. 

• Like 1

Sharp Flex @surreal1272.   Always liked them because they are so distinctive looking...kind of a modern traditional station wagon form in a world of CUVs.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Sharp Flex @surreal1272.   Always liked them because they are so distinctive looking...kind of a modern traditional station wagon form in a world of CUVs.

That’s my line of thinking on it. I have been ashamed to admit that I have a thing for wagons. 8 years in a Magnum and now this pretty much confirm it lol. Really, the main draw is the 82 cubic feet of space with all the seats down. Now sure there is another CUV or SUV that can touch that without going up to a Tahoe or Expedition. The box shape absolutely helps here and confirms why I think bean shape CUVs and CUV coupes are a waste of space. Hell, I just like the old school beach cruiser look of it more than anything else. I get that Ford wanted the Explorer back in the fold and that’s one of the reasons why the Flex was left to die but they should have pushed both, in an ideal world of course. 

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

That’s my line of thinking on it. I have been ashamed to admit that I have a thing for wagons. 8 years in a Magnum and now this pretty much confirm it lol. Really, the main draw is the 82 cubic feet of space with all the seats down. Now sure there is another CUV or SUV that can touch that without going up to a Tahoe or Expedition. The box shape absolutely helps here and confirms why I think bean shape CUVs and CUV coupes are a waste of space. Hell, I just like the old school beach cruiser look of it more than anything else. I get that Ford wanted the Explorer back in the fold and that’s one of the reasons why the Flex was left to die but they should have pushed both, in an ideal world of course. 

I should clarify that second sentence. I have NEVER been ashamed to admit that I have a thing for wagons. 

• Thanks 1

Congrats on the new ride! 

I've grown more and more fond of the Flex. When it first came out I absolutely hated it's styling. It always felt awkward but, maybe with my change in lifestyle with age and home ownership, it grew on me to the point where I would have bought one had I been able to find one packaged the way I liked it.. refreshed and AWD but as @surreal1272 mentioned, it was ecoboost only(which I also would have wanted) and then the prices jump pretty quick. Oh and also after having Sync3, it would have had to have been a 2016+.. Not cheap ones. 

I almost never like dark blue vehicles with black wheels/accents but I think this looks great. Maybe I just love the blue that much or maybe it actually works but I'd love this one:

Blue Flex.jpg

• Upvote 4
3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Congrats on the new ride! 

I've grown more and more fond of the Flex. When it first came out I absolutely hated it's styling. It always felt awkward but, maybe with my change in lifestyle with age and home ownership, it grew on me to the point where I would have bought one had I been able to find one packaged the way I liked it.. refreshed and AWD but as @surreal1272 mentioned, it was ecoboost only(which I also would have wanted) and then the prices jump pretty quick. Oh and also after having Sync3, it would have had to have been a 2016+.. Not cheap ones. 

I almost never like dark blue vehicles with black wheels/accents but I think this looks great. Maybe I just love the blue that much or maybe it actually works but I'd love this one:

Blue Flex.jpg

Yeah, Sync 3 would have been nice for me by just having CarPlay but it wasn’t a deal breaker so here I am lol. The two tone color schemes do look best on them too. 

23 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

These tires seem pretty decent (will have to look at the brand again when I have daylight because I don’t recall them right now) but at that seize, they are pricy as hell and mine are about to see a lot fo miles. I’ll look those up though just to compare them out. Thanks.

Edit: They are Nitto Brand tires.

Cool, Nitto have been good to me in the past, but now the Escalade and SS has Michilin Defenders and they have been great, used to have Bridgestone, but changed as Michilin sips down to the 10% level unlike Bridgestone that goes to 50% and so I have gotten very good life and grip in all kinds of weather. Yes they are more expensive, but if your driving road trip miles which I do they seem to last very well. Like I said well past stated mileage life for me, but Mileage will vary per person.

4 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Yeah, Sync 3 would have been nice for me by just having CarPlay but it wasn’t a deal breaker so here I am lol. The two tone color schemes do look best on them too. 

Looks like you could buy a newer head unit and put it in as they did not change the dash from what I can tell.

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Cool, Nitto have been good to me in the past, but now the Escalade and SS has Michilin Defenders and they have been great, used to have Bridgestone, but changed as Michilin sips down to the 10% level unlike Bridgestone that goes to 50% and so I have gotten very good life and grip in all kinds of weather. Yes they are more expensive, but if your driving road trip miles which I do they seem to last very well. Like I said well past stated mileage life for me, but Mileage will vary per person.

Looks like you could buy a newer head unit and put it in as they did not change the dash from what I can tell.

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

The wiring plugs for the Sync 2 systems and the Sync 3 are most likely not the same because of altered controls but I do plan on looking into it. Not 100% sure about it but history would suggest that there may be a compatibility issue. 

@dfelt-Turns out there are swap out upgrades but they are $1500-$2000 which is a deal killer for me. Sucks because I would swap it out myself. 

https://www.infotainment.com/products/2013-2015-ford-flex-myford-touch-sync-2-to-sync-3-with-apple-carplay-and-android-auto-upgrade

Edited by surreal1272