TaurusSHO

Random Thoughts Thread

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Being high-line Germanic and relying on its storied heritage will get it to be billed that way, though.

Id say those days are over.

Cadillac did that very same thing and it hasnt worked...

Mercedes sells waaaay to many low level, low priced cars in North America that folks will not remember those high line cars that defined Mercedes Benz in the 1990s. 

And even then, in '90s, Mercedes also peddled waaaaay too many, low level cars in North America ...

The Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hatchback Is a Forgotten Weird Mercedes ...

Sold Mercedes - SLK 230 Kompressor - 1999 in Philadelphia - letgo

One could argue this one...but it was not very luxurious... 

It sold...BECAUSE it wasnt that expensive to buy.  And at the start of the SUV/CUV craze...And this is when Mercedes was riding high on its so called luxury image. 

1998 Mercedes-Benz ML320 | EBTH

But not very luxurious... (look at those ugly grey plastic bumpers...)

If Cadillac gets shat on for the 1st gen Escalade (nd for some hardcore GM haters for the 2nd gen) and GM gets shat on for the Hummer H1 and H2 for shoddy builds...then M-B should get shyte for that crap as well...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

When it comes to Mercedes Benz, I actively wonder why they insist on selling the C-class AND the CLA-class to begin with.  Too many badge snobs wanting a subsidized lease I guess.

Yes, the original Escalade was little more than a badge job from a same-year Tahoe. . . . . . in 1999.  In the last 15 years, Escalade has exceeded anything the Yukon Denali provides in amenities galore by comparison.  At least Cadillac has learned to NOT cheapen its brand anymore (unlike the pitiful Cimarron era!) and offer real luxury options for customers.  The MB CLA is little more than a 21st century version of a Cimarron. That is awful.

• Upvote 4

Watching TV reporters brings home this question.
If a remote reporter is covering -say- a train derailment or building fire, it makes sense to be 'on the scene'; there's something to see.

But in a pandemic, if you are doing a story on -say- numbers of hospital patients checked in ... WTF are you doing going to stand on the hospital grounds?
Their talking head fills 85% of the screen and the background has (almost ) zero to do with what they're commonly talking about.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, riviera74 said:

When it comes to Mercedes Benz, I actively wonder why they insist on selling the C-class AND the CLA-class to begin with.  Too many badge snobs wanting a subsidized lease I guess.

The CLA seems redundant with the A-class sedan, since they are essentially the same thing.   The C-class at least is RWD.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Crazy Cool that a Blown LT4 V8 can fit in there. Not sure how many are willing to spend that amount of money on a truck like this but I will say it is a very cool build. Hopefully GM will realize they are missing a segment.

Thanks for posting Blu, That is cool!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/16/2020 at 7:41 PM, dfelt said:

Who knows how this will work out, but Washington State is now at 48 deaths, 904 infected individuals and they have stopped stating how many are in testing or have tested negative.

Over all, weird world to be living in when you do not seem to see anyone.

Was in quarantine for 14 days after getting tested, got wildly ill. Tested negative...but not seeing people is odd. First day back to work, essential personnel so I can work. 

If someone would have told us three moths ago that this was going to happen, few would have believed it. 

17 hours ago, balthazar said:

Watching TV reporters brings home this question.
If a remote reporter is covering -say- a train derailment or building fire, it makes sense to be 'on the scene'; there's something to see.

But in a pandemic, if you are doing a story on -say- numbers of hospital patients checked in ... WTF are you doing going to stand on the hospital grounds?
Their talking head fills 85% of the screen and the background has (almost ) zero to do with what they're commonly talking about.

Agree completely. 

Neat old truck!

• Upvote 4

Saw this photo and thought it was funny.  Don't know why.  It's the central square (more of a rotunda) with Sofia, Bulgaria's Orthodox cathedral in the middle of it.  Don't remember what brand of car that is.  I can almost hear one of those French sounding ambulances somewhere in the background.

7305.jpg

26 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Saw this photo and thought it was funny.  Don't know why.  It's the central square (more of a rotunda) with Sofia, Bulgaria's Orthodox cathedral in the middle of it.  Don't remember what brand of car that is.  I can almost hear one of those French sounding ambulances somewhere in the background.

7305.jpg

I think that's a '60s German Ford Taunus...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

A bit too rusty for a restoration....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

A bit too rusty for a restoration....

At least they are getting it out of the waterway to clean it up. :) 

Any fluids have probably already been disbursed though.

4 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I think that's a '60s German Ford Taunus...

I recall there being a Cortina years ago, most likely a Ford product for the foreign market.  

- - - - -

About the current downer subject, I was looking at the global caseload map ... the shaded one.  The Southern Hemisphere caseload is a lot smaller.  There are cases but, for the numbers of people, they aren't as high as in the Northern Hemisphere.  This makes me wonder if what they say about UV rays and higher temperature (over 30C/86F) is helping the fight.  In Brazil, which has over 200 million people, there are about 12,000 cases ... at this time.  Our April is their October.  It's hard to look away even if you try.

43 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I recall there being a Cortina years ago, most likely a Ford product for the foreign market.  

Yeah, the Cortina was an English Ford.  Later replaced by the Sierra then the Mondeo. 

More Auto Lay offs as Nissan will lay off their 10,000 US workers due to Covid-19 at the Tennessee and Mississippi facilities. This also goes for their 6,000 strong work force in UK and 3,000 in Spain. Global production comes to a halt for Nissan.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/topstocks/nissan-to-lay-off-10000-us-workers-at-tennessee-and-mississippi-facilities-nikkei/ar-BB12gpmO?li=BBnb7Kz

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

More Auto Lay offs as Nissan will lay off their 10,000 US workers due to Covid-19 at the Tennessee and Mississippi facilities. This also goes for their 6,000 strong work force in UK and 3,000 in Spain. Global production comes to a halt for Nissan.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/topstocks/nissan-to-lay-off-10000-us-workers-at-tennessee-and-mississippi-facilities-nikkei/ar-BB12gpmO?li=BBnb7Kz

Sucks...but I’m not expecting sales to even start moving until June or July......

• Upvote 1

FedEx is still delivering efficiently...just got two bags of grass seed and fertilizer from Home Depot along w/ 3 bottles of Patron...got to put the Margarita mix to use. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, daves87rs said:

Sucks...but I’m not expecting sales to even start moving until June or July......

Thinking on this, if they sell what inventory there is now, sales might not pickup till September or later as they have to get the factories going again, then transport and finally on the lot and prepped to sell. Gonna be an interesting year.

The dude that wrecked this Mustang walked away...literally....Built Ford Tough!

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The dude that wrecked this Mustang walked away...literally....Built Ford Tough!

Yikes!!

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

6 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Updated News, we now have Honda and BMW closing down and laying off pretty much everyone that cannot work from home.

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/nissan-honda-bmw-take-rare-step-unpaid-furloughs

OUCH, this is gonna hurt major!

WOW, Crazy when you look at the drop in China Sales for auto's.

image.png

https://tradingeconomics.com/china/total-vehicle-sales

Clearly this is going to hurt everyone big time.

Time to look at stock investing for the recovery period.