Jump to content
TaurusSHO

Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Got them here also last night...the evening was great, up to 72 in Cleveland yesterday..sat on the patio until 11 enjoying the weather, some adult beverages and music.   Then went to bed and heavy thunderstorms and wind...some branches down in the yard this morning.  Read there are tornado sightings to the south and west of here.. 

Got worried here for a while.....it went from rain to hail fast! Caught me off guard! Freaked me out, even though it was only pea sized...been a while since I saw a storm change so quickly....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I read the book before I saw the movie.  True, in "The Exorcist," the younger priest's surname was Karras.  And, when they showed his elderly mother in NYC, she was sitting in her apartment listening to a Greek language radio station.  However, why was he hanging out at Georgetown?  Could it be that a very small percentage of Greeks are Roman Catholic?  There were always Greek Orthodox kids and Middle Eastern Christian (Coptic, etc.) kids in my schools but that's because they didn't have enough critical mass to have their own grade schools and high schools and their parents had no intention of sending them to public schools.

Yes. There is a small minority of Greeks whose religious background is Roman Catholic.  I do not know why the author chose to have a Priest of Greek origin in the movie.  You taught me a something. I always thought he was a Greek Orthodox Priest. (The overwhelming religious majority for Greeks is Greek Orthodox. The remaining 10% is divided between Catholic, Muslim and even Jewish. So you could see as to why I assumed wrongly) I googled and wiki states that William Blatty wrote him as a Jesuit Priest.  

I was too young and maybe I did not care enough to realize his frocks are not Greek Orthodox and yes indeed,  Catholic.

Maybe the author thought that having Greek in the book and in the movie was more (because if I remember correctly, he talks to his mother in Greek at one point too)  original than hearing Italian as the Italian culture was more visible at that point in time.  Spaghetti Westerns and the Godfather.     Maybe he chose Greek because the word Exorcist  originates from the Greek language and he saw a connection there.  I dunno.

All I know, this is the only movie that still creeps me out.  The last time I saw the movie, I was 25 years old and I rented it. 25 years old. I said then that Im a grown ass man and I will defeat this movie. (I saw it when I was younger 2 times prior and I had nightmares)  Well, I wasnt afraid after viewing it...but.  It happened to be a windy night that night and every time I heard a tree branch move outside my bedroom window, I woke up...   I aint gonna see this movie again, in fear that I will be a sissy once again.  

I aint afraid of God, or the Devil.   I have faith in God. 

The reason why I aint afraid of God is because I am a child of His. He made me. He made me in His own image. He says in His words that He is always there for me.  My saviour, His son, died for all of our sins.  And as it were, Easter is right around the corner. Jesus' words say for us to be as good as Christians as we could be. And well, I might not be perfect, and He (The Holy Trinity) knows Im not perfect and well...I do try my best to be a good Christian. And that is all He has ever asked of us. And THAT is why I aint afraid of God.  Nor the Devil for that matter for that very same reason.   

But THAT movie...creeps me the phoque out. 

 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Random thoughts could include mulling over current events:

- Bernie Sanders has dropped out of the race, and

- Linda Tripp died a day or two ago, at age 70.  The cause has not been revealed.  When I thought of the word bureaucrat, I thought of employees in European government posts who pushed paper and took forever to do so, probably giving priority to their smoke and coffee breaks.  We definitely have these same types over here.  At any rate, Linda Tripp, a previously obscure federal employee, became the American face of the term "bureaucrat" some 20 years ago ... and this is the face most likely to be etched into people's brains:

3438009_linda-tripp_1.jpeg

 

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I believe she died of cancer.   I wonder if she ever furthered her career...

I think slick Willy probably ignored her sexual advances on him and she was just bitter and she sought revenge. After all, slick Willy is known to be promiscuous. Not a wholesome fella he is. Down right rapey I think... 

Imagine how nasty she must have been for slick Willy to refuse her advances?   (Random Thought right there...) 

Another food for thought

1. what is more sinful? 

a) Slick Willy being unfaithful to his wife. A holy (monogamous) bond he made with her and God.  

b) Slick Willy engaging in "non-sexual" sexual acts with a CONSENTING ADULT.

c) A "non sexual" sexual act that was clearly made out of the bonds of holy matrimony.  Remember folk, sex is not a sin. "Depraved" acts are not a sin as long as they are done with your partner within the bonds of holy matrimony.

d) backstabbing "friends" and other humans in order to gain monetary and career benefits.  (This applies EQUALLY to Tripp AND to Lewinsky.

e) Being home wrecker. Because in essence, Lewinski is a home wrecker even though Hillary decided to "stand by her man".  (If I was Hillary, Id leave that SOB. Id leave that SOB a loooong time  waaaaaaay before he held office. He was accused of rape and had allegations of cheating on her early on in their marriage.) 

And lastly...

2. Was this ever our business?  Engaging in gossip last I heard, was also a sin...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Random thoughts could include mulling over current events:

- Bernie Sanders has dropped out of the race, and

- Linda Tripp died a day or two ago, at age 70.  The cause has not been revealed.  When I thought of the word bureaucrat, I thought of employees in European government posts who pushed paper and took forever to do so, probably giving priority to their smoke and coffee breaks.  We definitely have these same types over here.  At any rate, Linda Tripp, a previously obscure federal employee, became the American face of the term "bureaucrat" some 20 years ago ... and this is the face most likely to be etched into people's brains:

3438009_linda-tripp_1.jpeg

 

HARD PASS on that nasty woman. I would for sure take what Slick Willy did enjoy over Linda.

See the source image

23 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I believe she died of cancer.   I wonder if she ever furthered her career...

I think slick Willy probably ignored her sexual advances on him and she was just bitter and she sought revenge. After all, slick Willy is known to be promiscuous. Not a wholesome fella he is. Down right rapey I think... 

Imagine how nasty she must have been for slick Willy to refuse her advances?   (Random Thought right there...) 

Another food for thought

1. what is more sinful? 

a) Slick Willy being unfaithful to his wife. A holy (monogamous) bond he made with her and God.  

b) Slick Willy engaging in "non-sexual" sexual acts with a CONSENTING ADULT.

c) A "non sexual" sexual act that was clearly made out of the bonds of holy matrimony.  Remember folk, sex is not a sin. "Depraved" acts are not a sin as long as they are done with your partner within the bonds of holy matrimony.

d) backstabbing "friends" and other humans in order to gain monetary and career benefits.  (This applies EQUALLY to Tripp AND to Lewinsky.

e) Being home wrecker. Because in essence, Lewinski is a home wrecker even though Hillary decided to "stand by her man".  (If I was Hillary, Id leave that SOB. Id leave that SOB a loooong time  waaaaaaay before he held office. He was accused of rape and had allegations of cheating on her early on in their marriage.) 

And lastly...

2. Was this ever our business?  Engaging in gossip last I heard, was also a sin...

Yet, if one does not believe in god, then is it really a sin? Who is to say that nasty Hillary was not involved in this and it was all setup to deflect her own plans to run for president which failed. 🤔 After all being in politics is a chess game one now has to play well or have others behind the curtain to manipulate the system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yet, if one does not believe in god, then is it really a sin?

True dat.  But if there is a God. I said if...there is God, even if you dont believe in His Holiness, you might find yourself in a pickle come Judgement Day at them Pearly Gates.  But if there isnt God...I say, have yourself a blast dude!  

YOLO!  (do kids even say that anymore?)

15 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Who is to say that nasty Hillary was not involved in this and it was all setup to deflect her own plans to run for president which failed. 🤔 After all being in politics is a chess game one now has to play well or have others behind the curtain to manipulate the system.

Sounds kinky.  You think she was watching them engage in those non-sexual sexual acts and when Lewinsky cleaned herself up and left the premises,  Slick Willy and Hillary had hot sex ON the Oval Office desk?   THAT might explain as to why she stood by her man...

This song IMMEDIATELY rushed to my mind

 

I love Janet. I miss her.  I may like her music more than Michael's. And I LOVE Michael's music. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda sad Bernie dropped out.....Joe is going to have his “azz” handed to him...

I almost forgot about Linda Tripp! 😮 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@daves87rs I'm not sad about Bernie dropping out.  At all.  I'm hoping that Joe picks your state governor as his running mate.

@oldshurst442  She could have died of cancer.  The article mentioned that she has battled it before.  If she was weakened by that battle, it would have been harder to overcome COVID-19.  Some famous people, as we see on the news, have succumbed to it.  We don't know if it was the issue here.  A few days prior, Honor Blackman, who played the Bond girl with the  character name that has gone unforgotten in "Goldfinger," died at 94, and it was entirely due to other health issues.

I have heard that theory that Linda Tripp was a case of being scorned and being jealous of Monica.  If Linda Tripp was jealous or thought she had a chance, she was delusional.

As for gossip and sinfulness, imagine this.  Try to spend an hour with someone, such as a friend, and not talk about anyone.  It's not possible to operate in a vacuum.  Possibly, there are two options - just talking about someone in a "shoot the breeze" way and gossip of the "nasty" variety.  If you want to talk sin, the first one would not be while the second one could be.  I don't want to digress into a spiritual discussion.

Regardless, all this talk about Linda Tripp and company got me thinking about this classic tune (better here than in the music thread):

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I always assumed your McGill was private because of its WASPy sounding name and because it didn't have the Univ. of (insert place) names given to most other major public Canadian universities.

Not private. But Ivy League-ish nonetheless.  In many ways...

Visit McGill | Women in the Faculty of Engineering - McGill University

McGill University recognized as one of Montreal's Top Employers ...

McGill University | LinkedIn

Where to Eat and Drink Cheaply Around McGill University - Eater ...

  •  McGill University is a public research university in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Founded in 1821 by royal charter granted by King George IV,[8] the university bears the name of James McGill, a Scottish merchant whose bequest in 1813 formed the university's precursor, University of McGill College (or simply, McGill College); the name was officially changed to McGill University in 1885.
  • Part of the Association of American Universities of which Harvard, Princeton, Yale are apart of which are indeed private and Ivy League
  • Offers degrees in 300 fields of study including engineering, science, medecine and arts. 
  • highest admissions requirements of any Canadian University
  • Basketball, Ice Hockey and gridiron Football all started at McGill as organized sports 
  • the student body is the most international diverse of any medical-doctoral research university in Canada

 

Edited by oldshurst442

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*sigh*

Going to get some snow tonight.....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crazy weather today... sunny at 46 at one point, rain, sleet, freezing rain, snow, high winds..

Been chillin' this afternoon and evening, ,after finding out tomorrow is a work holiday...didn't realize it. Had a couple Svedka vodka and pomengranate/oj martinis, a few glasses of chardonnay.. streaming music on You Tube...

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Crazy weather today... sunny at 46 at one point, rain, sleet, freezing rain, snow, high winds..

Been chillin' this afternoon and evening, ,after finding out tomorrow is a work holiday...didn't realize it. Had a couple Svedka vodka and pomengranate/oj martinis, a few glasses of chardonnay.. streaming music on You Tube...

Sounds like a good way to go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

True dat.  But if there is a God. I said if...there is God, even if you dont believe in His Holiness, you might find yourself in a pickle come Judgement Day at them Pearly Gates.  But if there isnt God...I say, have yourself a blast dude!  

YOLO!  (do kids even say that anymore?)

Sounds kinky.  You think she was watching them engage in those non-sexual sexual acts and when Lewinsky cleaned herself up and left the premises,  Slick Willy and Hillary had hot sex ON the Oval Office desk?   THAT might explain as to why she stood by her man...

This song IMMEDIATELY rushed to my mind

 

I love Janet. I miss her.  I may like her music more than Michael's. And I LOVE Michael's music. 

If God exists, he has allot of explaining to do and accountability for his incompetence. Like I said, If he exists. Currently history is on the side that religions exist to manipulate and control humanity for the few in power.

Yes, I also wondered about Hilly and her craziness with Slick Willy. Still take his presidential work over the craziness of stupidity we have now. At least Everyone worked together to have a balanced budget, pay down our national debt. The One and Only time any presidential administration has done that.

Love Janet also, her Rhythm Nation is my favorite album from her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Like I said, If he exists. Currently history is on the side that religions exist to manipulate and control humanity for the few in power.

Yes, I also wondered about Hilly and her craziness with Slick Willy. Still take his presidential work over the craziness of stupidity we have now. At least Everyone worked together to have a balanced budget, pay down our national debt. The One and Only time any presidential administration has done that.

I will not opine too much on this but agree that guilt has been used as a control mechanism by organized religion.

There's something to think about here - Slick Willie slotted in right after the Bush 41 1991 recession and right before the dot-com bust.  His timing in the business cycle couldn't have been more fortuitous.  Not talking about politics and ability, the first time I heard him open his mouth, I didn't like him.  He's too much like a car salesman, but with a very impressive IQ and educational background.

Talking business, there's one business that's not doing too shabby around here:  Starbucks.  If you've got a Starbucks in a suburb and it has a drive-through, you may see the "addicts" lining up through the drive-through.  They're the ones who don't wear down the seats and tables, use the restrooms, or use the wi-fi.  What they've "lost" is their in-store clientele, but some of those customers, myself included, can be cheap - order a cup of coffee or tea ... and sit there for a long time.  I usually leave their nice employees a tip, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gov't does the same thing as religion; asks you to follow it's leader ('pope' / president), leverages persuasion (guilt / laws), instigates strife with dissidents (preaching / warfare) and continually asks for money (contributions / taxes). Neither is all bad, neither goes away, but you can only walk away from one of them.

Whether it's laws, 'commandments' or social customs, the human animal generally benefits from some behavior control.
 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with just about all of that.  Said another way, most things are better in moderation: being mentally, spiritually, and physically "incarcerated" is one extreme.  A "free for all" would be the other.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Said @balthazar @trinacriabob

I will back up the statement about Starbucks. Here many Burger Kings went out over the last 20 to 30 years where as McDonalds, Wendy's and now Five Guys and The Habit Burger Grill are still growing and strong.

The Burger King locations seem to have been snapped up by Starbucks and the drive through are crazy busy.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it might be time for a nice vacation from Facebook...people are going to drive me nuts.......

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohio backroad in fall...about an hour from me.. I miss going out to explore.. 

92386783_10223831485352084_7835607492938694656_n.jpg

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, daves87rs said:

I think it might be time for a nice vacation from Facebook...people are going to drive me nuts.......

I went on it.  And went off it.  It keeps people in high school type dynamics.  No bueno.

- - - - -

In it's heyday:

3726633689_b1babd1718_z.jpg?zz=1

It went out with a bang ... literally ... what a send off ...

When they do show you their marquee, it says "No Vacancy."  Duh.

There was a lot of fire once the implosion got started.  The Kingdome stadium was imploded -  the only one I've actually seen - but you only saw the flares and some smoke when it got started; nothing like this.

The Dunes went down to make room for the Bellagio.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

red leather seats available on the Pacifica now,

But wife doesn't want another minivan........after they add red leather and all wheel drive to the options list,.....😩

 

image.png

image.png

Edited by regfootball
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...