TaurusSHO

Random Thoughts Thread

I found this photo you might enjoy.  It was taken in 2013.  The subject is a 1977 vehicle, hence it was 36 years old at that time.

Confidently holding its own on a rural stretch of interstate, this Cutlass Supreme (Brougham) sedan was in damn fine shape, with whitewalls, base wheel covers, and most likely an Olds 350 V8 engine under the hood.  If it was pampered like that, it has seen at least 40 years of motoring by now.

IMG_5297.JPG.41a9f109a184c896da11ed3dabcbfd87.JPG

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I found this photo you might enjoy.  It was taken in 2013.  The subject is a 1977 vehicle, hence it was 36 years old at that time.

Confidently holding its own on a rural stretch of interstate, this Cutlass Supreme (Brougham) sedan was in damn fine shape, with whitewalls, base wheel covers, and most likely an Olds 350 V8 engine under the hood.  If it was pampered like that, it has seen at least 40 years of motoring by now.

IMG_5297.JPG.41a9f109a184c896da11ed3dabcbfd87.JPG

Just saw one in that color last week...a lot of classics are out now it seems even with everything going on....

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Just saw one in that color last week...a lot of classics are out now it seems even with everything going on....

Not who can afford a new auto, but who wants to take on payments during this Pandemic when an Old Classic debt free is just fine for rolling along. :D 

• Like 1

Here is one Chrysler performance car I really liked even though it is a sister to the Mitsubishi version. Only 55K miles on it and the current bid price is $12,100 on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143606587133

image.png

image.png

Chrysler Conquest TSi.

To me this was a Hot Turbo Muscle car that I liked from the 80's. Course was in college and could barely fit in then, now, forget it. Still a cool car.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, dfelt said:

Here is one Chrysler performance car I really liked even though it is a sister to the Mitsubishi version. Only 55K miles on it and the current bid price is $12,100 on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143606587133

image.png

image.png

Chrysler Conquest TSi.

To me this was a Hot Turbo Muscle car that I liked from the 80's. Course was in college and could barely fit in then, now, forget it. Still a cool car.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Always thought those were cool....must be an 80s thing.. 🙂 

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Aftermarket convertible conversion on the Tesla Model 3.
For $30K, you get this manually-folding top. For another $10K, they'll electrify it.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.31.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.31.35 PM.png

HANDS DOWN, the WORST convertible conversion I have ever seen. I struggle to recall a more pointless / less dignified automotive alteration. Makes the Murano convertible look swanky.
All that stupid money and they couldn't even re-engineer the rear door glass to roll all the way down.

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 4

It's like taking a sharp knife and slicing a cross section off a turd that's been cooked in the sun.

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

Aftermarket convertible conversion on the Tesla Model 3.
For $30K, you get this manually-folding top. For another $10K, they'll electrify it.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.31.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.31.35 PM.png

HANDS DOWN, the WORST convertible conversion I have ever seen. I struggle to recall a more pointless / less dignified automotive alteration. Makes the Murano convertible look swanky.
All that stupid money and they couldn't even re-engineer the rear door glass to roll all the way down.

It looks like they turned it from car to Dustbuster.........

100508705_3509885905706738_4748501218093957120_n.jpg

• Haha 4

When Datsun was independent, they were infinitely more fun and engaging.  This Franco-Nippon relationship has not panned out well.  I have nothing against Renault, or Nissan, but some things are better left unmixed.  If the Kicks were available in the USA with a stick, it would be much more fun and in line with Datsun heritage.  Now look at the state of them...

Here's a funky little flying wedge from the days of fun, spirited Datsun vehicles:

Classic_1983_Datsun_Pulsar_42k_orig_MILES__1419480353.jpg

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

You learn something new every day, so they say.

In reading tidbits about auto care - here, on other forums, and in magazines, I read that it's a good idea to run a tank of the high octane Top Tier fuel (93 octane) every 3,000 miles or so (along with a bottle of fuel system cleaner, though probably not at the exact same time) if your car runs on regular unleaded.

For the first time ever, I put the 93 octane in my car, which runs on regular 87 octane.  Am I supposed to feel a difference?  You tell me.  It seems to run, start, and idle great.   The premium fuel doesn't come by cheap, so I only plan to do this intermittently.

Edited by trinacriabob

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

In reading tidbits about auto care - here, on other forums, and in magazines, I read that it's a good idea to run a tank of the high octane Top Tier fuel (93 octane) every 3,000 miles or so (along with a bottle of fuel system cleaner, though probably not at the exact same time) if your car runs on regular unleaded.

For the first time ever, I put the 93 octane in my car, which runs on regular 87 octane.  Am I supposed to feel a difference?  You tell me.  It seems to run, start, and idle great.   The premium fuel doesn't come by cheap, so I only plan to do this intermittently.

Stick with the fuel system cleaner.  Much cheaper and more effective.  I recommend Lucas fuel system cleaner.

https://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-treatments/lucas-fuel-treatment

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Octane is required to avoid detonation. If you engine is rated for 87, putting 93 in it won't have a discernible difference. Maybe if you went to 110, you'd notice it, but that likely has other chemical differences which may contribute.
Putting 93 in an 87-rated car is a waste of money from all I've read.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2014/04/11/tech-101-octane-the-facts-and-the-fiction-behind-those-higher-priced-fuels

Injector cleaner has an actual benefit, tho I still question if it does all that much. I've had a subtle stumble in my truck and put injector cleaner (Lucas) thru every other tank for a long while- to the total tune of 1.5 gal, but it never went away or ran any different/showed a MPG change.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

Stick with the fuel system cleaner.  Much cheaper and more effective.  I recommend Lucas fuel system cleaner.

I've done well with Chevron's Techron.  I didn't know about Lucas until they had a stadium named after them!  I know that I have an aversion to the name Seafoam,  based on visualizing sea foam (great at the beach, but for my engine?) and some guys at the parts stores counters seem to love Seafoam.

59 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Octane is required to avoid detonation. If you engine is rated for 87, putting 93 in it won't have a discernible difference. Maybe if you went to 110, you'd notice it, but that likely has other chemical differences which may contribute. Putting 93 in an 87-rated car is a waste of money from all I've read.

Injector cleaner has an actual benefit, tho I still question if it does all that much. I've had a subtle stumble in my truck and put injector cleaner (Lucas) thru every other tank for a long while- to the total tune of 1.5 gal, but it never went away or ran any different/showed a MPG change.

I will most definitely not be making a habit out of this.  If I plan to continue with this regimen, I'll do it once every 2,500 or 3,000 miles.  The "problem" is that I have a car that hasn't yet been tuned that still idles quietly and runs smoothly.  My perception is that it running slightly better.  If it's $ 1 a gallon more and the tank holds 17 gallons, that's $ 17 I am paying every 3 months for this cheap thrill.  I'm barely into this new full tank with Shell 93 octane.  Let me ride out this tank to see if it keeps feeling different.

7 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I used to run my first car on quite a bit of amoco silver. (89). In the 10 years i owned it it ran and idled great. Something i might need to go back to.

And using only top tier fuel again......

Top tier fuel like Shell and Chevron among others is the only way to go. I never run anything but Top Tier in my vehicles. It does make a difference running a quality fuel and having the detergents to clean as gasoline by itself can carbon up the valves and combustion chamber pretty fast. Not to mention the money you will end up saving on repairs of a gummed up fuel system and filters running cheap gas like Costco or (insert name) grocery store gas station. Makes me cringe every time I see the long line of cars at Costco gas pumps, don't get me wrong I love Costco, but would never pump their gas in my rides.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, daves87rs said:

I used to run my first car on quite a bit of amoco silver. (89). In the 10 years i owned it it ran and idled great. Something i might need to go back to.

And using only top tier fuel again......

Is Amoco like Sunoco? We don't have either over here in the West.

19 hours ago, ocnblu said:

100508705_3509885905706738_4748501218093957120_n.jpg

Hey, I think that's smk's ride!

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Is Amoco like Sunoco? We don't have either over here in the West.

Hey, I think that's smk's ride!

Amoco I think was more of a east coast thing..they were also part of Standard stations, and a few others I know I am missing...

Amaco was bought by BP in 1997, and pretty much got rid of Amaco. Funny part is that they are bringing back the name again....we just got our first few back in Michigan again...

but Yep- like Sunoco , BP/Amoco is top tier and good gas... 🙂 

8 hours ago, USA-1 said:

Top tier fuel like Shell and Chevron among others is the only way to go. I never run anything but Top Tier in my vehicles. It does make a difference running a quality fuel and having the detergents to clean as gasoline by itself can carbon up the valves and combustion chamber pretty fast. Not to mention the money you will end up saving on repairs of a gummed up fuel system and filters running cheap gas like Costco or (insert name) grocery store gas station. Makes me cringe every time I see the long line of cars at Costco gas pumps, don't get me wrong I love Costco, but would never pump their gas in my rides.

33B83A73-CCBA-47EF-A75B-88C82DFB9799.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

@balthazar and others

Take note, though, that, for some reason, Sunoco has fallen off the Top Tier list, possibly due to sourcing during the pandemic.  They're supposed to be the fuel endorsed by NASCAR* or some other major automotive event.

* oh yeah, baby, I'm all about NASCAR ... surely I jest ... my 200 hp can get me in trouble if I wanted it to ...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, balthazar said:

'mountain folk' walking into town, Hazard KY 1940 :

HazardKY40 MT folk.png

My folks were in that area then...my Mom was from nearby Hindman and was 9 then, and my Dad was from Prestonsburg and 19..  he would join the Army Air Corps in 1941, then they met after the war.

In present day NE Ohio,

I've been enjoying great weather this weekend...spending time in the backyard and grilling/cooking..grilled some bacon-wrapped filets yesterday, and today made chicken habanero tamales and margaritas.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 2

Imma gonna do some American pop culture references to Hazzard and Kentucky as only a Greek boy from French territory Canada would know about a certain Hazzard County and the beautiful state of Kentucky.  

Blue Moon of Kentucky keep on shining...

And of course, Hazzard County.  This particular Hazzard  is of course,  fictional...

I do realize that Hazard, KY is spelled with one "z" and is of course, a real place. 

Oh...and I happen to love the tune, Red River Valley.      

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

@oldshurst442

Monsieur du Quebec, j'ai trouve' un YouTube situe' dans ton ville, sur une des rues principales

First, can you understand what those French people talking smack in the background are saying?

I had seen this about a month ago and thought you'd enjoy it.

This is one sweet Cutlass Supreme.  It's obviously been kept shielded from the elements. A few things: 

- it needs its hood ornament back ... it would look better

- it would look better with the alloy wheels instead of the wire wheel covers ... and the optional all aluminum alloys were even nicer than the much used body colored rally wheels

- I'm not crazy about the two-tone paint - they could have thrown on a white landau vinyl top instead ... I remembered this video since we were recently discussing the Seafoam fuel system product ... this might be considered a metallic sea foam green, but Olds called it metallic Jadestone 

- check out at about 2:25 into the video - this car has NO air conditioning and it's the top of the line Brougham!

- I like everything else about it ... I wonder which engine it had ... there would have only been 2 gasoline options that year:  the 3.8 V6 or the small Olds V8

Tres belle ... beautiful!

• Upvote 1