Top Posters In This Topic

• balthazar

• David

• Robert Hall

• ocnblu

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

• • • ORDERED A TRUCK TODAY. • • •

Been away for a while.. summer stuff.. figured I'd get out an live while the weather was warm. Decided to get back into riding bikes.. had given it up back in '05 after my then wife (now ex) had issue

2021 GMC Sierra Elevation crew cab / 6.5' bed. 3.0L DuraMax / 10-spd.   It's only money.

Posted Images

On 6/15/2020 at 8:31 AM, ykX said:

Leonard Nimroy on set of Star Trek with his 1964 Buick Riviera

FB_IMG_1592224122642.jpg

Wow.  When CA had 6 digit license plates and when Lauesen Buick (per plate frames), a single brand dealership that was located on Sepulveda Blvd. immediately north of Santa Monica Blvd, existed.  Single brand GM dealerships ... those were the days!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
40 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Wow.  When CA had 6 digit license plates and when Lauesen Buick (per plate frames), a single brand dealership that was located on Sepulveda Blvd. immediately north of Santa Monica Blvd, existed.  Single brand GM dealerships ... those were the days!

I forgot to mention, the Vette behind him supposedly belonged to William Shatner :)

52 minutes ago, ykX said:

I forgot to mention, the Vette behind him supposedly belonged to William Shatner :)

I've read that...supposedly Shatner had a GTO then a Corvette or the other way around...

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Single brand GM dealerships ... those were the days!

I realize there's basically 'none' today, but they were far from the norm in the '60s, too (tho there were more). The '60s was the decade that saw a lot of pairing up. You'd probably have to hit the '40s for single-liners to be common / the norm.

Very interesting 2020 report by JD Powers and Associates. I know many love Mazda, but the Mazda is not well rated and in fact the CX-5 is rated at the bottom as the One CUV to avoid due to poor quality.

QUOTE of the key findings in their report:

Following are key findings of the 2020 study:

• Vehicle dependability improves—but at a slower rate: The industry average in 2020 is 134 PP100, which is an improvement of just 2 PP100 from 2019. (However, in 2019, there was an improvement of 6 PP100 from 2018.) Despite the slowing rate of improvement, 2020 marks automakers’ best performance in the history of the study.

• Dependability gains driven by crossovers and SUVs: Crossovers and SUVs still have slightly more problems than cars, but the gap is narrowing. On average, owners of crossovers/SUVs experience 134 PP100, compared with 127 PP100 by car owners. This 7 PP100 gap has narrowed considerably from 2019. With crossovers/SUVs now accounting for more than 50% of new vehicle sales annually, it is critical that automakers achieve the same level of quality and dependability as for cars.

• In-vehicle technology shows greatest improvement: Audio/Communication/Entertainment/ Navigation (ACEN) is the most improved category (by 2.3 PP100), but still accounts for more problems than any other category in the study. Owners continue to cite problems with voice recognition, Bluetooth® connectivity and navigation systems. “Many owners complain about these systems early in the ownership experience and, three years later, they’re still frustrated with them,” Sargent said. “We’re seeing improvement, but automakers still have a long way to go to before they can declare victory in this area.”

• Most Dependable Model: The Lexus ES is the highest-ranked model in the 2020 study. Its score of 52 PP100 is the best ever recorded in the 31-year history of the study.

• First all-electric model receives an award: The Nissan LEAF is the first all-electric model to receive a segment-level award, for compact car.

Highest-Ranked Brands

Genesis ranks highest in overall vehicle dependability among all brands, with a score of 89 PP100. This is the first year Genesis has been included in the study. Lexus ranks second with a score of 100 PP100 (an improvement of 6 PP100 year over year). Buick (103 PP100) ranks third, Porsche (104 PP100) ranks fourth and Toyota (113 PP100) ranks fifth.

Cadillac shows considerable improvement with a reduction of 35 PP100 from 2019. Other above-average brands with strong improvement include Mazda (reduction of 29 PP100), Lincoln (by 28 PP100), Ford (by 20 PP100), Buick (by 15 PP100) and Volkswagen (by 15 PP100).

Toyota Motor Corporation receives six segment awards for the Lexus ES, Lexus GX, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Avalon, Toyota Sienna and Toyota Tundra. The Toyota brand receives the highest number of segment awards in the study.

General Motors Company receives five segment awards: for the Buick Encore and Buick Regal, and for the Chevrolet Equinox, Chevrolet Silverado HD and Chevrolet Tahoe.

The 2020 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from 36,555 original owners of 2017 model-year vehicles after three years of ownership. The study was fielded from July through November 2019.

To learn more about the U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study, visit http://www.jdpower.com/resource/us-vehicle-dependability-study.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2020-us-vehicle-dependability-study

Worth downloading and looking at the details.

J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, balthazar said:

I realize there's basically 'none' today, but they were far from the norm in the '60s, too (tho there were more). The '60s was the decade that saw a lot of pairing up. You'd probably have to hit the '40s for single-liners to be common / the norm.

Single brand GM dealerships were the norm in SoCal in the '70s, though there was already some pairing up.  Perhaps because domestic cars were still popular enough and because of the population density.  

Frank Sanders Oldsmobile - mid-Wilshire - that image with the spotlights is what you got inside your temporary license plate

sanders-oldsmobile-la-brea-and-wilshire-

Albertson Oldsmobile - Culver City (home of the famous red rocket) - it was stand alone Olds into the '80s - it was just a car lot behind the rocket

Fullscreen%252520capture%252520112016%25

Stan Chazen Pontiac - West L.A.

Bay Buick - Torrance (enormous with huge L.A. TImes ads with loss leaders ... i.e. the token Regal with crank windows and no A/C)

Majestic Pontiac on Imperial Highway in Inglewood-Hawthorne (they ordered their cars in a weird way) 

Livingston Pontiac and Guy Martin Olds right next to each other on Topanga Canyon Blvd. in Woodland Hills (in the Valley), selling lots of Firebirds and Cutlass Supremes, respectively. Buick-GMC (per sign) was added later and the Olds dealer was to the right ... and, yep, there was curbside free parking on the boulevard!

2014-11-04_22h03_41.jpg

And the list goes on and on ...

Bonus:

6728d-6a0133f3b4d1c3970b0133f3b4e870970b

Most of us should know whose Firebird this was!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I do remember single brand Pontiac and Buick dealers in the 70s in Steubenville, Ohio..Montgomery Pontiac and Brandt Buick. I went to school with the kids of the owners of those dealerships.  Don't recall the Chevy dealer.  But over in Tuscarawas County where the family farm is, there was a Pontiac-Oldsmobile dealer and a Chevy-Buick dealer in one little town.  IIRC, there was a standalone Chevy dealer in the largest town.  

One of the more interesting dealers I remember was in the 80s was a GM dealer in Key West, Florida that had Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, Buick, Cadillac and GMC all in one showroom and lot. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, dfelt said:

Very interesting 2020 report by JD Powers and Associates. I know many love Mazda, but the Mazda is not well rated and in fact the CX-5 is rated at the bottom as the One CUV to avoid due to poor quality.

But the report has Mazda being above average in the dependability survey.. I see no mention of the CX5 individually on the link.  Somewhere else perhaps?  I find JD Power's rankings pretty odd.. Buick and Chevy being so much higher rated than GMC currently.  Even twenty years ago when Buick was just a lightly disguised Chevy/Pontiac/Oldsmobile with a softer suspension  and slightly changed body panels from the same production facility it was so much higher rated.

Of course there were stand-alones in the '70s. But here's an example of the first 60 or so numerically-coded San Fransisco Zone Pontiac dealers:
Pontiac only : ||||| ||||| ||||| :: 15
Pontiac plus 1 or more other brands : ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| | : 26
Unknown (name only) :
||||| ||||| |
|||| ||||| ||||| || : 27

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

One of the more interesting dealers I remember was in the 80s was a GM dealer in Key West, Florida that had Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, Buick, Cadillac and GMC all in one showroom and lot. 

Sounds like a definite (un)planned stop.  Probably thin in terms of inventory depth since they are spread across all the brands.

Edited by trinacriabob
20 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Sounds like a definite (un)planned stop.  Probably thin in terms of inventory depth since they are spread across all the brands.

Was the only GM dealer in the Keys, 130 miles from the mainland.   Still there, Niles Chevy Buick GMC Cadillac.  

Edited by Robert Hall

Growing up we had Cadillac, Buick, GMC and Pontiac in one dealership and showroom and Chevrolet, Oldsmobile (Geo added in the 90's) in the other dealership across town in the 70's and 80's. Same setup today minus Olds, Pontiac and Geo of course. Cadillac has always worked to separate itself from the other divisions and has been pushing it for the past decade. I'm told by my Cadillac dealer buddy that any new Cadillac dealership built is required by GM to be a stand alone dealership that meets or exceeds their build quality and/or GM Corp. high-end standards for Cadillac to further differentiate the luxury marque from it's sibling divisions. It's pretty obvious with the new or remodeled Cadillac dealerships now.

This reminds me of a Summer job during college in the late 90's when in my early 20's at a large dealership in the East SF Bay Area Crown Cadillac, Chevrolet and Isuzu known by many as "Crown Dublin" in Dublin, CA, where the Cadillac dealership was of course a separate building and showroom from the Chevrolet, Isuzu. You had to get certified with GM to sell Cadillac's even back then. An older salesman (like mid 70's) Don, was the Big Kahuna Cadillac guy and used to say, "If you can fog a mirror you can sell a Chevrolet", basically saying they sell themselves and you don't have to be certified. Pretty funny none-the-less! Fun Summer job, and I'll never forget when Don took me for a ride in a new loaded '99 Seville STS. I'll tell you what that thing was quick for a FWD 300hp V8, then he showed me how good the brakes were. We took an off-ramp off the 680 Interstate he checked behind us and said you ready? Gripping the Oh sh!t handle good I said yep, when he anchored the brakes and the auto seat belt tensioners simultaneously activated and the girl just stayed straight as an arrow, literally squatted down (no reared up back end) sunroof shade slammed shut and I swear we stopped on a dime with 9 cents change from at least 60mph, pretty damn good for late 90's ABS tech. Then he stood on it and the electronic traction control took over squealed the fronts a bit, but it launched pretty hard with almost zero torque steer with equal length drive shafts that the Caddy's had and she was off. It was a blast! Never had a salesman "test drive" a new car like that with me and probably never will again! :D  

Edited by USA-1
  • Upvote 1

I always say...on July 4rth:

Happy Birthday USA!  

But now, Im saying it 2 weeks earlier and saying it to an actual person.  

Happy Birthday @USA-1

My gift to you. A visual delight!

Hulk Hogan because of the "you are a real American" intro he had.

Image tagged in hulk hogan 1 - Imgflip

F-4 Phantom II because it was such a great kick-ass plane. This one is the Bicentennial one.  You know...Happy 200th America. Not that Im implying that you are a 200 year old geezer...just that its a kick-ass plane...and you know...birthday.. 

Happy Independence Day USA! – Aces Flying High

Corvette. You own a C5. This C3 is AMERICA baby!  (and...your name up front) 

All American 'Vette | Tv cars, Corvette, Austin powers

And a couple of USA-1 (your name) Chevys in action.  

Photo: Bruce Larson 70 Camaro 1 | 2nd Generation Camaro Funny Cars ...

Kyosho USA-1 Nitro Crusher 4WD | Classic and Vintage RC Cars ...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

But now, I'm saying it 2 weeks earlier and saying it to an actual person.

Happy Birthday @USA-1

Thanks olds!!! Very awesome!!! America's Bi-Centennial is my birth year '76!! tommy wiseau flag GIF by The Room

Edited by USA-1
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

"C2 Corvette"  NOT C3...

I knew you knew that :D👍🏼 C2 is one of my favorite Vettes. The '67 with 427 and stinger hood running the 4 spd Muncie is one of my dream cars!