TaurusSHO

Random Thoughts Thread

12 hours ago, dfelt said:

Very true, all the Buffet's here in Washington state are still closed and the note on the Chinese / Mongolian buffet by me in Lynnwood is they are closed permanently. Old Country Buffet's that were here are gone as the franchise owner went bankrupt due to Covid-19.

Worst yet is Airbus has stated it needs to lay off 10's of thousands of workers and the unions are saying no. HELLO IDIOT UNIONS, No one is buying planes, no sales, no profits, no money to pay the workers. Boeing is handing out pink slips as it slows all production.

I suspect the Auto Industry will have a heavy contraction this fall. I believe we could see a 25% reduction in work force.

I am appreciating companies where the CEO and Board are foregoing their salaries this year, have stated no pay raises or bonuses and froze hiring as they have committed to not laying off any employees during this pandemic.

Very happy I have a job right now. I feel for those here and everywhere that have lost jobs. I do believe we are at the start of a global contraction and change in education / job training that will change the way we work and move about.

It is already looking like it too...many of the local suppliers in Detroit metro have been cutting staff since January. Already had a friend lose a job a few days ago.

This whole opening and shutting thing is making it even worse. It has now delayed my return to work. Might even now it could become a permanent job loss. 😞 Even my second job is in danger now. Hoping I don’t lose both and try to job shop in a soon to be very quiet job market. Local Monster and Linkedin positions have dropped nearly 40 percent in the last week or so......

• Thanks 1

As for the economic contraction, I'm not seeing much of an immediate one.  It was really quiet outside from mid-March to mid-May and now the roads seem the same again.  I think the contraction will be delayed.  I have no idea as to how much and how long.  Didn't take enough econ courses for that ... and am glad I did not!

Unbelievable tonight.  Crazy.  I try to support places that are in developments to repurpose previously blighted areas.  I was driving by one of these developments tonight and went in for dinner.  It was almost empty.  It took 1:10 minutes from when I ordered for my meal to arrive.  Before it did, the waitress did tell me it would be free.  It was at a known chain restaurant ... about $ 11 worth of food.  I still gave her $ 3.  The last few times I've gone into this place, and I sit by the windows to keep an eye on my car, the service has been quick and the food has been decent.  Not sure if the free meal was worth the wait while I played with my phone for over an hour.  I think most people would have walked out after eating and not tipped.  I don't think it was her fault.

12 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

As for the economic contraction, I'm not seeing much of an immediate one.  It was really quiet outside from mid-March to mid-May and now the roads seem the same again.  I think the contraction will be delayed.  I have no idea as to how much and how long.  Didn't take enough econ courses for that ... and am glad I did not!

Unbelievable tonight.  Crazy.  I try to support places that are in developments to repurpose previously blighted areas.  I was driving by one of these developments tonight and went in for dinner.  It was almost empty.  It took 1:10 minutes from when I ordered for my meal to arrive.  Before it did, the waitress did tell me it would be free.  It was at a known chain restaurant ... about $ 11 worth of food.  I still gave her $ 3.  The last few times I've gone into this place, and I sit by the windows to keep an eye on my car, the service has been quick and the food has been decent.  Not sure if the free meal was worth the wait while I played with my phone for over an hour.  I think most people would have walked out after eating and not tipped.  I don't think it was her fault.

Lots of places are short handed....for many reasons right now.

So much crazy.....

Yeah it's usually not the wait staff's fault, I guess.

At the dealer for some service today, noticed a bird nest in the ‘e’ on the sign. 

BA8DE0EE-080E-4871-BFFB-F10629E7EB58.jpeg

• Haha 2

Don't be so hasty to throw away old hardware.

I knocked over a cordless pod on my desk, it barely tapped the side of my monitor, but didn't detach any of the wiring.  I then noticed it wasn't working.

At any rate, an HP monitor from 2009 just rescued one that is one or two years old.  I've got a smaller screen and I'll examine the newer one when I have time, but at least I'm back and running.  

Any wonder if I am hanging onto my cast iron block / cast iron block 3800 V6 engine?

• Upvote 2

Man, this is quite a heat wave......well past 90 degrees at noon....  😮 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Don't be so hasty to throw away old hardware.

I knocked over a cordless pod on my desk, it barely tapped the side of my monitor, but didn't detach any of the wiring.  I then noticed it wasn't working.

At any rate, an HP monitor from 2009 just rescued one that is one or two years old.  I've got a smaller screen and I'll examine the newer one when I have time, but at least I'm back and running.  

Any wonder if I am hanging onto my cast iron block / cast iron block 3800 V6 engine?

But the 3800 is GM's best non-V8 engine.  It is no wonder you hung onto it.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, daves87rs said:

It is already looking like it too...many of the local suppliers in Detroit metro have been cutting staff since January. Already had a friend lose a job a few days ago.

This whole opening and shutting thing is making it even worse. It has now delayed my return to work. Might even now it could become a permanent job loss. 😞 Even my second job is in danger now. Hoping I don’t lose both and try to job shop in a soon to be very quiet job market. Local Monster and Linkedin positions have dropped nearly 40 percent in the last week or so......

💪 Fighting, Stay positive and start shopping your resume. Better to be active while having a job than not at all. Some companies like where I work has frozen hiring, raises, bonuses and the executive staff have given up their pay to insure that the global workforce is not laid off. 

I appreciate what they are doing for us, but I know other companies that are more service focused, sales focused are starting to belt tighten as people hold off on spending money.

Stay positive, stay focused, You will come through this OK, I believe!

17 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Based on statistics, we are already in contraction. While the freeways are busy here in the Seattle area, the lay offs by Boeing, Kenworth, Weyerhaeuser, are being felt. Depending on how big their employment rolls are, it will be minimal in many places to heavily noticed in others.

One gauge as we learned in statistic class is tax revenue. Clearly when you look at that figure, you see every state has taken a huge hit. Then look at the Fed tax revenue and it also took a huge hit. Contraction in everything even though many states have opened up and then closed back down but trying to keep employment going, I still believe there is worse to come sadly.

I hope everyone here is not hit as hard by this depression based on the current pandemic.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Based on statistics, we are already in contraction. While the freeways are busy here in the Seattle area, the lay offs by Boeing, Kenworth, Weyerhaeuser, are being felt. Depending on how big their employment rolls are, it will be minimal in many places to heavily noticed in others.

One gauge as we learned in statistic class is tax revenue. Clearly when you look at that figure, you see every state has taken a huge hit. Then look at the Fed tax revenue and it also took a huge hit. Contraction in everything even though many states have opened up and then closed back down but trying to keep employment going, I still believe there is worse to come sadly.

I hope everyone here is not hit as hard by this depression based on the current pandemic.

The impact on housing prices has been negligible.  I'm one of those people who loves looking at the R.E. sites.

Anyway, check out these HIGH gas prices ...

IMG_6576.JPG.b070a09f47c771168a02c6e3c4b4a816.JPG

... and check out that mint Buick Skylark coupe ... for sale ... see sign in rear window!  This was around Christmas 2013 and in Seattle's Ballard neighborhood, which was once mostly Nordic and working class and, in the last few decades, became very in demand and full of new condos, like the complex beyond.  Its balconies and windows would have a view of the either the Ballard Locks or the Ship Canal.

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

💪 Fighting, Stay positive and start shopping your resume. Better to be active while having a job than not at all. Some companies like where I work has frozen hiring, raises, bonuses and the executive staff have given up their pay to insure that the global workforce is not laid off. 

I appreciate what they are doing for us, but I know other companies that are more service focused, sales focused are starting to belt tighten as people hold off on spending money.

Stay positive, stay focused, You will come through this OK, I believe!

Thanks! 🙂  I  have been working the two jobs even after I really no longer had to- as I really wanted to build a good sized emergency fund in case something happened. I’ve been unlucky enough to be in an industry as it was on the way down- from the tech bubble to the decline in car sales. Looks like my gut turned out to be right this time.....

I least I know my job is trying to keep me while working a plan the company back to work. The second job depends on if we have to close things up again. 

The good news in this is that my resume was just updated- and it is gandering some nice attention right now. While I am happy where I am at- I have started the search just in case.

I am hoping everyone here is doing well, and get to enjoy some family and car time....... 🙂 

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Happy Fourth of July, C&G folks ... wherever you may be ...

From Montreal.  Happy Birthday USA!!!

Related image

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2020 at 1:31 PM, balthazar said:

I believe this is the actual C&G HQ building. Imposing structure, to say the least

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 1.24.52 PM.png

Based on a quick glance at the phone, I thought it was the iconic Cathedral of Learning.  Evidently, it isn't.

On 7/4/2020 at 8:49 PM, oldshurst442 said:

From Montreal.  Happy Birthday USA!!!

Related image

Even if Molson wasn't in the photo, that's unmistakably the Pont Jacques-Cartier and Ile Ste.-Helene, two great things about Montreal.  The fireworks look like they're going off from La Ronde.  Thank you, merci, efharisto, and belated Happy Canada Day to you, frogger, and other C&G members from Canada.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Upvote 1

Haven’t seen this kind of heat in a while......

• Sad 1

Asian writing of English cracks me up.

20200706_222605.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Seattle.city council is so stupid. Employee head tax on business just passed to be a range from .7% to 2.4% on high income employees.

Talk about running out big business, this is going to come back to hurt Seattle.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/seattle-city-council-passes-new-jumpstart-tax-on-high-salaries-paid-by-big-businesses/

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

Seattle.city council is so stupid. Employee head tax on business just passed to be a range from .7% to 2.4% on high income employees.

Talk about running out big business, this is going to come back to hurt Seattle.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/seattle-city-council-passes-new-jumpstart-tax-on-high-salaries-paid-by-big-businesses/

WOW. That is sad.  Decisions like these will cause a lot of businesses to relocate . . . . maybe to a low-tax (and no income tax) state like Florida.  Isn't Seattle already expensive to live in?

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

WOW. That is sad.  Decisions like these will cause a lot of businesses to relocate . . . . maybe to a low-tax (and no income tax) state like Florida.  Isn't Seattle already expensive to live in?

Yes, a 400 SQ FT Studio Apartment will cost you $2,900 a month in Seattle.

I just got notified that ALL 1,200 Employees will be brought in over the next 2 weeks at designated times to clean out our Cubicles. We have to take all personal items home and if we want, we can check out our docking station and monitors to take home too. Nothing to be left in the cubicle but the desk and chair.

They say this is for Deep Cleaning and Sterilization to allow those critical employees back onsite. Yet our 7 story building lease is up this fall. I know we have the 7th floor subleased and the 1st floor. We consolidated everyone onto floors 4 to 6 so 3rd was vacated, which is an accounting move for writing off the lease cost for non usable space or so corporate said. The 2nd floor was our Executive sales briefing center. We had it half built out and the rest was supposed to be done 2yrs ago, but put on hold since the merger or the two Legacy companies into what is now Dell Tech. 

My gut tells me based on conversations with facilities folks local and in Austin Texas is we will vacate the bulk of the building and keep maybe on the big size floor 4 where a datacenter exists and 5 & 6 only. But I could honestly see them decommission the datacenter into our huge Durham NC site and do only floors 5 & 6.

Coworker who had bought a 1200 sq ft condo in Seattle for $350,000 3 years ago sold it in January for almost $800,000 and moved to the east side in Bellevue to be closer to family and her boyfriend. Got a 2,400 sq ft town home for $700,000. 

Crazy House Prices. To imagen I got my 2000 sq ft Split Level home on a quarter acre lot for $140,000 in 1999. The old homes around me have since been bought up and torn down with McMansions on them selling for anywhere from $800,000 to $1 million. My tax assessment came in that my house is now worth $550,000. Crazy, crazy crazy

• Upvote 1

Chevy Sonic is DEAD. The assembly line will be used as a second dedicated EV line to build the Bolt EUV. Orion plant while being converted to a 2nd EV assembly line, will still have the option to convert back to building ICE auto's if needed.

https://electrek.co/2020/07/07/gm-kills-chevy-sonic-making-room-for-bolt-euv-at-companys-second-all-ev-plant/

• Sad 2