Jump to content

Random Thoughts Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • balthazar

    2867

  • David

    2793

  • Robert Hall

    1625

  • ocnblu

    1575

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been away for a while.. summer stuff.. figured I'd get out an live while the weather was warm. Decided to get back into riding bikes.. had given it up back in '05 after my then wife (now ex) had issue

This whole crossover craze has gone a bit too far....

I defected back to the Germans this Christmas... got myself an Audi A8L 4.0T. The car sold new for 109. But at 4 years and 40K miles as a Certified Pre-Owned, it is $31.6K making it an exceptional val

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I believe you are correct.  I know someone in the Sunbelt who bought a simplistic RWD big Chevy or GMC truck 2 or 3 years ago (new, for a great price) and he told me he had a six under the hood.  This is a person who builds and repairs things, yet he couldn't tell me which engine was under the hood.  I asked him if I could raise the hood and look around.  It was a 4.3 or 4300 V6.  How would he not know that?  

The truck is probably just an appliance to them...most drivers don't know what is under the hood---just a power unit for their appliance. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, David said:

Over all not bad, but the rear reminds me of the funky Infinity CUV that was shaped like this. Not a big fan. wait and see but from the C to D pillar is just weird to me and then the Jelly Bean back end. Meh

The Infiniti FX?  I liked those...distinctive styling, not the usual SUV box.  

2009-Infiniti-FX-RearSide_IQFX35092_505x375.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, balthazar said:

Proposed 1960 Olds '55' :

60 Olds 55.png

There were Pontiac and Buick versions as well at this stage.  Early foray into "badge engineering".

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The Infiniti FX?  I liked those...distinctive styling, not the usual SUV box.  

2009-Infiniti-FX-RearSide_IQFX35092_505x375.jpg

Yes, the FX is what the rear on this reminds me of. Piss poor interior cargo space, could not even get a bag of golf clubs in them. Also interior space for humans sucked too. I know lots of people liked the style, but for me, the style cost in interior room. 

That is why I love the Hummer EV, it has the box design with style and what looks like plenty of interior space especially for us big people.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Speaking of Jeep...

 

Been a while since I saw one!

 

That said- I saw a line of Mustang E Machs today testing....didn’t realize my Equinox was bigger than one.... 🙂 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Exxon Mobil has stated that as they transition to a change of what powers auto's around the world and work to get to a net zero equality for the climate by 2035, that changes are in order and with the Pandemic, Exxon Mobil cust 1,600 positions in Europe and 1,900 position in the US today. They also announced that they will be reducing their head count globally by 15% or 14,000 by the end of 2021.

https://electrek.co/2020/10/30/egeb-exxon-layoffs-wartsila-us-net-zero-electricity/

Link to post
Share on other sites

LOT of people worldwide working from home now or out of work. Tourism, hotel and entertainment industries have been decimated. Fuel demand is way down.

Exxon-Mobil reported in June that fuel consumption in ‘20 was down... 11%.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, balthazar said:

LOT of people worldwide working from home now or out of work. Tourism, hotel and entertainment industries have been decimated. Fuel demand is way down.

Exxon-Mobil reported in June that fuel consumption in ‘20 was down... 11%.

Right, the leisure and discretionary sectors have probably been the hardest hit.  People need that stuff to keep their heads screwed on straight. 

It's weird to be inside an airplane or public transit with so many seats blocked off.  The airlines have to fly planes that are, more or less, mostly full to be profitable.  I have a feeling that, if normalcy comes, there will be a huge surge in travel and it might be difficult to find airplane seats and hotel rooms at times.  Pent up demand can work in strange ways.

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, David said:

R.I.P. Sir Sean Connery who passed in his sleep overnight at age 90.

The best James Bond 007 we ever had.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54761824

I read that 5 minutes ago.  It almost seems surreal ... Sean Connery was a larger than life persona.  He appears to have gone peacefully and may he R.I.P.

It has been an incredible thing to grow up with and mature alongside the timeless franchise of so many great 007 films.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why in this age of 6, 8, 10, 12 megapixel cameras abounding, do so many dealerships still photograph their cars to 600 and 800 pixel photo sizes, on shit cameras from 2009?  Or maybe they just post the photos at that reduced size for space reasons.....when monitors these days are 1900+ pixels....

Those crappy photos on the dealer website do not make me want to go look at your 50,000 dollar car.

Even worse, many don't even photo their cars anymore.  They leave up those stock animation quality rendered images of the manufacturer.

Many photograph their vehicles in a weird space with completely heinous and unflattering fluorescent lighting as well.  Vroom's photos are like the vaseline on lens images of penthouse from the 70's and 80's.

I realize prepping cars for sale takes work and cost is involved (i have worked at a dealership); but take some more time and care to photograph your inventory well, it makes it more presentable.  You don't need 80 pictures.....20-40 will work if they are high quality photos and capture each image to show relevant things.

Edited by regfootball
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, regfootball said:

Why in this age of 6, 8, 10, 12 megapixel cameras abounding, do so many dealerships still photograph their cars to 600 and 800 pixel photo sizes, on shit cameras from 2009?  Or maybe they just post the photos at that reduced size for space reasons.....when monitors these days are 1900+ pixels....

Those crappy photos on the dealer website do not make me want to go look at your 50,000 dollar car.

Even worse, many don't even photo their cars anymore.  They leave up those stock animation quality rendered images of the manufacturer.

Many photograph their vehicles in a weird space with completely heinous and unflattering fluorescent lighting as well.  Vroom's photos are like the vaseline on lens images of penthouse from the 70's and 80's.

I realize prepping cars for sale takes work and cost is involved (i have worked at a dealership); but take some more time and care to photograph your inventory well, it makes it more presentable.  You don't need 80 pictures.....20-40 will work if they are high quality photos and capture each image to show relevant things.

As one with a photo degree, I have wondered many times about that and in thinking, it is about the bottom line of having an employee take pictures cost hourly wages and honestly, I think many dealerships are still stuck in the 70's on how to sell auto's.

That is why Tesla, Rivian, etc. scare the dealerships. They are ignorant about changing with the 21st century.

Your right, a little time to make a basic template of how to take photo's and which ones to show off the auto you could easily reduce it to 10 to 20 photo's at most of high quality that would show off the auto and then post it to the web.

I expect over the next decade a number of dealerships to disappear as shopping via Costco, online or direct from manufacture to you with quality pictures will change the way people shop and what they expect. Waste time just staying old school of attacking and pressuring every person who comes on the lot will fail for those dealerships. 

With the Pandemic, many are shopping online and only when truly ready to look at the auto in person will they go shop.

I talked with my sales rep at the Cadillac dealership via Zoom to see how he was doing. He said over all sales are down about 1/3rd of what they normally have been at this time of year. He also said far less looky loos and as such greatly reduced test drives of people just looking which has made the average auto sale of the purchased auto be under 15 miles when sold on the odometer. 

Interesting.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...