Random Thoughts Thread

On 3/18/2024 at 10:12 AM, David said:

So I posted this in my company Slack auto channel and am reposting it here to share my crazy Sunday with the Wife who is now considering retiring the SS for a new auto.

Interesting, my SS that the wife drives has started to have gremlins. As such upon my return on Saturday from my work trip, she complained to me about not feeling she can rely on the auto. I asked her what she would like to do since I picked the SS for her and over all she loves the power, AWD of the 2008 Trailblazer SS AWD, but at approaching 300,000 miles, it is coming time to retire rather than put money into the auto. She responded that she would be open to an EV.

So, Sunday we spent the day driving EVs to check them out. My wife's response to the following EVs we drove: 

BMW - Nice to drive, was fine with the interface, but the exterior was just ugly with the big kidney grill in the front and weird pinched rear end look. Still will consider.

Mercedes - Interface was fine, driving was nice, liked the interior for the most part, but what were they thinking with the Jellybean shape? Hard pass.

Cadillac - Nice to drive, exterior was far better than the Mercedes or BMW, Failure in that they do not support Android Auto / Apple carplay. As such not acceptable. Yes, there is the * that Lyriq has a limited support for Android Auto, no Apple Carplay and the sales rep did say that GM was moving away from it with their Android system that is voice controlled and easier than using your cell phone. Wife was not impressed with the limitations, wants full support of her Ultra S23 in the auto.

Hyundai - Was not wowed with the style exterior, but interior loved it and roomy for me. Loved the full Android Auto/Apple Carplay support. A solid candidate to consider.

Kia - Again the exterior was not bad, but not wowed by it either. Interior was nice and fit her well, but the tight bucket seats of the EV6 were super tight for me and she said it would not work for us due to my size as no one could sit behind me. EV9 was great, anyone can sit behind me and was very spacious for both of us. Liked the style much better exterior and interior was very nice to her. One to consider, only thing was the poor slow charging speed for L1/L2.

Genesis - GV60, she liked exterior was fine, Interior was very nice. It fit us fine though no one could sit behind me. Interface was very easy to use. But she even asked them if there was a bigger version for the GV70 or 80 and they said not yet, it was coming.

Ford - F150 Lighting she liked allot about it exterior and interior wise, just was hoping for a mid-size rather than full size vehicle so would think on the truck. Mach e she liked, we both fit comfortably and clearly anyone could sit behind me, as the lead developer who is 6'2" tall stated, the EV was designed to handle tall people. Major dislike was the salesperson who was very pushy and made comments that told my wife he was a male chauvinistic pig. He actually to me to man up as the wife would drive whatever I decided for her since I was the man. Big mistake, if we go with a Ford, it will be a different salesperson and might even be a different dealership.

Rivian - Exterior and Interior were big wins for her, she loved everything about it and even the test drive was great. Sadly, Rivian is off the list as she asked the counselor about Android Auto/Apple Carplay and no support, no plan for support. FAILURE big time.

Tesla - She wanted to look at the Y. We went in and over all the experience was good, but no one can sit behind me. The counselor went over the interface and then offered for us to take it for a drive. Wife asked if it supported Android Auto/Apple Carplay and the Answer was no, and then they said a major failure. Musk knows how to build a superior interface, and no one needs those old cell phone connections, only Bluetooth to use your phone. With the crazy way to start the EV and lack of cell phone support she passed on even test driving it. 

One thing my wife did tell me was that an all-software app interface is a failure point to her. She wants physical buttons for the basic stuff and then will be happy using the touch screen. 

Not sure what her choice will be, but she is going to think on this.

Ford needs an Electric Ranger. However, they are selling every Bronco they can build and the Bronco and Ranger shar an assembly line. Ergo, they build very few Rangers. Zero incentive to do an electric one in quantity. Good luck with your choice. 

On 3/24/2024 at 11:40 AM, David said:

Musk and his antics would keep me from ever considering one of their products. Which is sad, because from a need and affordability standpoint we are looking Hybrid/EV for the next car. 

On 3/24/2024 at 11:49 AM, David said:

WOW, If Kia did make the EV9 into a pickup truck and give it the style of these images created by Hot Cars, I bet it would sell big time especially over the hideous CyberTruck that is clearly not setting the after market on fire.
Kia’s EV9 Pickup: A Miserable Design or a Future Success? (kangnamtimes.com)

KiaEV9Truck1.jpegKiaEV9Truck2.jpeg

Very cool updated images of the nearly done Hyundai Ioniq9 SUV.

Hyundai’s Ioniq 9: Likes and Dislikes Divided by Unique Blinker Design (kangnamtimes.com)

Kia has some of the best styling right now. Odd, but true. 

On 3/24/2024 at 4:21 PM, trinacriabob said:

Amazing.  Today marks 5 months of not owning a vehicle.  I use a cheap monthly transit pass.  It goes most everywhere I need to go.  I'm saving a lot of coin. 

For one, I'm going to be going back and forth a bit this year.  Then, I really want to do the research before making an auto purchase, especially since I foresee it being a lightly used vehicle in this fairly different context.

I am highly jealous. I have thought about moving into town and onto the bus line. 

On 3/25/2024 at 8:36 PM, riviera74 said:

I find it interesting that the CT6 is no longer sold here in NA.  The CT4 and the CT5 are still sold here, but Cadillac is (from a sales perspective) mostly a crossover/SUV shop.

As is everyone else. I have never owned an SUV (other than a junker 69 Bronco) and am considering one. Everyone can flame me, but if I buy one it will be a RAV 4. Probably a hybrid. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2024 at 9:30 AM, ccap41 said:

The 3 OR Y outsell all of Cadillac. Selling nearly 2 million a year is pretty much a sht ton when you can't get in one for under 50k. If your ONLY comparison to attempt to bring Tesla down is a cheap Chinese company, it's safe to say Tesla's are selling very well, better than any other electric vehicle. 

Also, just because BYD surpassed them in one quarter, doesn't mean Teslas aren't selling well. 

Again, just because you don't like Elon, doesn't mean people don't love his products. 

This sums me up. Love his products, think Elon is bat$h!. 

On 3/30/2024 at 6:42 PM, trinacriabob said:

To those who celebrate it, Happy Easter.*

To those who don't, have a great weekend.

* I always struggle with the after-the-event deeply discounted chocolate in the stores. However, I've read more than one source that says some dark chocolate is actually good for one's heart ... I'll run with that one.

Don't celebrate it, had a fantastic weekend. Thanks. 

On 3/5/2024 at 8:25 PM, David said:

That's interesting about the school buses. Probably an ideal EV platform. Big, heavy, slow, limited actual range needed. 

On 3/7/2024 at 12:53 PM, trinacriabob said:

A random thought that sometimes goes through my head:

Does TikTok often come across as a low budget, low skill, white trash alternative to YouTube?

Absolutely. 

On 2/12/2024 at 1:30 PM, David said:

Agree, I am seeing some quality Photoshops that would be awesome to have here in the U.S.

I love this guys work, as this would sell now if they had it I believe.

cadillac-ct5-luxury-wagon.jpg

This is killer. What we should see on the streets. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 3:04 PM, surreal1272 said:

Dear Tesla fan(s): Tell us more about that superior Cybertruck...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cybertruck-owners-theyre-already-rusting-154649229.html

It will sell big time. Starting to see them around. 

On 1/5/2024 at 5:54 AM, trinacriabob said:

This was shocking.

The Airplanes sub-forum is intended to be a celebration of airplanes and aviation.  The following does not qualify, so it's here in Random Thoughts.

You know how when you sometimes get a snippet of a piece of the news and the gravity doesn't sink in?  Well, it sounded like 2 planes in Tokyo bumped into each other while taxiing or maneuvering and would need to be repaired. 

Far from it.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-67879308

This was an actual crash as a newer JAL A350 had landed at Tokyo Haneda and clipped a smaller aircraft with 6 people in it while moving on the runway at high speed.  Five of the six people in the small craft died (the pilot is in serious condition) and everyone on the Airbus 350 - 379 people - made it out in time as they plane was starting to catch fire.  They filed out to the different slides and listened NOT to reach for their carry-ons.  The hull is a complete loss.  They are investigating the situation and Airbus experts have gone to Tokyo to assist, but people have some general ideas about what happened.

This hearkens back to the weirdness of Air France 358 from Paris to Toronto where the A340 overshot the runway (there was no other plane involved), went into an embankment on the side of the big 401 expressway, broke up, caught fire, and yet everyone was able to exit the aircraft and survive the crash.  

I wrote an aviation short story based on both of those accidents. Decided to destroy a 737 MAX as part of the process. 

• Great Idea! 1

On 12/6/2023 at 2:04 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Eh, that article makes some statements without data to back it up. It's a puff piece for EVs.

That said, for EVs that have heat pump HVAC, the difference in range is negligible.  Certainly less than the drop in fuel economy I see with cold weather in the truck.  The EPA says that cold weather of 20 degrees (fairly common where I live) can drop your fuel economy 15%.

If you properly precondition your EV in the cold before you leave, the range drop won't even be noticeable.  All modern EVs (even not modern ones like the original Volt) have the ability to set a departure time and can heat up both the cabin and the batteries before you drive away.  Of course this is best if you're on wall power at the time, but it helps even if not. Roughly the same as remote starting your ICE.

Winter gas formulations suck also. My Ranger loses about 2 MPG with the winter formulations. Had to believe I am at 86,000 miles and looking at replacing my (other car). My ancient Chevy Aveo we only use to run to the store on weekends and such. 

On 12/16/2023 at 7:40 AM, surreal1272 said:

"GM has a plan"-Every pro GM post I have seen over the last three or four years

And that plan, apparently, is to continue to shoot themselves in the foot after three or four years of hype over the Ultium platform, low entry prices, and sales projections for EVs. Just cannot believe how bad they and Ford are screwing this up right now, yet at the same time I should have half expected it. History does not lie but it does have a nasty habit of repeating itself.

I was hearing this from GM fanbois from the early 1970's onward. 50 years of the same narrative is enough. 

On 12/1/2023 at 11:12 AM, NINETY EIGHT REGENCY said:

Please check the Tesla section out.  I posted videos about the cybertruck this morning. 

Thank you!

On 11/21/2023 at 4:33 PM, surreal1272 said:

I have to say that the mobile version of this site has become more unusable due to the pop up ads and videos. I get the reason for the ads but the execution of them takes away from the usability. 

This site usually has a problem with the stability of the folks that post on it, not the stability of adverts. Odd. 

On 11/22/2023 at 3:13 AM, David said:

As expected Toyota grabbed headlines about a breakthrough solid state batteries, but clearly they have not invented them yet and even if they can actually deliver, it will be limited to 10,000 EVs globally by 2030.

Guess they still think hydrogen is the way to go. 😆

https://electrek.co/2023/11/21/toyotas-long-range-solid-state-ev-batteries-limited/

Toyota will fall way behind. Does not mean I won't be considering a Prius or RAV 4 for next vehicle. Want a hybrid. Not ready for full electric yet. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

There will be initial bump, sure but long term it will be niche at best (as far as full size pick ups go). All the pros being an EV (although they, once again, lied about the range and price) are being killed by the fact that it is half baked (at best) as an actual pick up. Countless reviews all say the same thing about it. 

Oh and haven't seen one here yet but plenty of Model Ys and 3s.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

On 11/16/2023 at 12:41 PM, ccap41 said:

Oh yeah, I just wasn't about to look that stuff up. I knew it's been 20+ years and that was good enough for me, Hahaha. 

Chevy's been running the old-@ss 5.3 for decades while Toyota has a brand new boosted 3.4 AND a boosted hybrid in their full-size truck. Obviously, it won't sell worth a sht, for whatever reasons, but it's about as technologically advanced of a truck powertrain as there gets right now. 

And the Tacoma now has a nice Turbo 4. Lots of selection in midsize trucks right now, which is the only market segment I personally find interesting at the moment. 

On 5/25/2015 at 1:40 PM, TaurusSHO said:

Every forum needs one of these.

Like GM and Ford full size trucks, This forum would not survive without this thread. 

On 8/29/2023 at 1:28 PM, David said:

For those that like all black, Ford has a Platinum Black Edition of the Ford F150 Lightning pickup in Matte Black.

F-150 Lightning Platinum Black Edition (shorthandstories.com)

Snag_29ac98e3.png

I like it, just not 85 thousand dollars worth. 

On 9/6/2023 at 11:48 AM, David said:

Very interesting story and some interesting name plates on the top 20 list like the S class car and the Miata.

Domestic Vehicles Among The Slowest-Selling In America, Whether They’re New Or Used | Carscoops

image.png

With the Camaro gone, one wonders how long the Mustang will continue. 

On 9/12/2023 at 8:07 AM, trinacriabob said:

Join me in wishing @A Horse With No Name, our long-time member and friend who knows how to mix up insightful observations and zany humor, a happy birthday!  Enjoy your special day ... and cheers.

Thank you!

• Oh Yeah! 1

On 11/1/2023 at 1:13 PM, ccap41 said:

Perfect for another 5k increase! 

Everything is up. I thought about buying a new Ranger since my Ranger is at 86k. Keeping my Ranger. 

New Ranger starts mid thirties rather than mid twenties. 

Religion continues to go the way of the DODO bird...

Interesting take on things. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

There will be initial bump, sure but long term it will be niche at best (as far as full size pick ups go). All the pros being an EV (although they, once again, lied about the range and price) are being killed by the fact that it is half baked (at best) as an actual pick up. Countless reviews all say the same thing about it. 

Oh and haven't seen one here yet but plenty of Model Ys and 3s.

I can't imagine owning one as anything other than a novelty. Or winning it as part of a contest. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Ford needs an Electric Ranger. However, they are selling every Bronco they can build and the Bronco and Ranger shar an assembly line. Ergo, they build very few Rangers. Zero incentive to do an electric one in quantity. Good luck with your choice. 

Musk and his antics would keep me from ever considering one of their products. Which is sad, because from a need and affordability standpoint we are looking Hybrid/EV for the next car. 

Kia has some of the best styling right now. Odd, but true. 

I am highly jealous. I have thought about moving into town and onto the bus line. 

As is everyone else. I have never owned an SUV (other than a junker 69 Bronco) and am considering one. Everyone can flame me, but if I buy one it will be a RAV 4. Probably a hybrid. 

Very bizzar is that the Ford Bronco and Ranger are pilling up here on Dealership lots. I see tons of them and the amount on the road seems to have dropped off. This could be a PNW oddity as many have moved onto EVs with Tesla leading of course, but Hyundai/Kia/Genesis nipping at their heels along with Ford Mach-e and Lighting. I see tons of these EVs everywhere.

Musk needs to go and get a real CEO in there to run the company, even the loyal are realizing his time is over.

Agree, Kia has some banging style, so much better than other companies especially Buick.

City life will never appeal to me, but I do get it that if you have mass transit that is solid and reliable that being close where you no longer need an auto makes sense. The Seattle greater lite rail system has taken this into account as each lite rail stop has around 10,000 apartments that have been built for folks that need to get into Seattle or the airports and get around without the use of an auto. Crazy dense living.

In regards to the RAV4 comment, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND you Test drive the Kia Sportage Hybrid, Far SUPERIOR over RAV4 IMHO. Daughter owns one and plenty of coworkers. the 2024 Sportage Hybrid Rocks.

https://fourwheeltrends.com/toyota-rav4-most-common-problems-explained/#:~:text=Common Toyota RAV4 issues include oil consumption%2C transmission,suspension%2Fsteering issues%2C water pump failure%2C and electrical problems.

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/articles/rav4-years-to-avoid-an-excellent-cuv-with-a-few-problem-years

RAV4 is far from the reliable SUV Hybrid they have marketed it as. Yes the last few years seem to have worked out the bugs for the most part, but it does have a weirdness that they are either right from the start or a lemon from the start. Seems to be the two types they have come in as they use some of the oldest tech now and are not class leading IMHO.

https://www.caranddriver.com/kia/sportage-hybrid

https://www.edmunds.com/kia/sportage-hybrid/

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/hybrid-suvs

A little more luxury is the Hyundai Tucson Hybrid as an option.

Consumer Reviews to look at:

https://www.edmunds.com/kia/sportage-hybrid/2024/consumer-reviews/

https://www.edmunds.com/kia/sportage-hybrid/2025/

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

As a huge Tesla market, it has been interesting that not a single cybertruck has been seen here. They are like Unicorns I think.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Very bizzar is that the Ford Bronco and Ranger are pilling up here on Dealership lots. I see tons of them and the amount on the road seems to have dropped off. This could be a PNW oddity as many have moved onto EVs with Tesla leading of course, but Hyundai/Kia/Genesis nipping at their heels along with Ford Mach-e and Lighting. I see tons of these EVs everywhere.

Musk needs to go and get a real CEO in there to run the company, even the loyal are realizing his time is over.

Agree, Kia has some banging style, so much better than other companies especially Buick.

City life will never appeal to me, but I do get it that if you have mass transit that is solid and reliable that being close where you no longer need an auto makes sense. The Seattle greater lite rail system has taken this into account as each lite rail stop has around 10,000 apartments that have been built for folks that need to get into Seattle or the airports and get around without the use of an auto. Crazy dense living.

In regards to the RAV4 comment, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND you Test drive the Kia Sportage Hybrid, Far SUPERIOR over RAV4 IMHO. Daughter owns one and plenty of coworkers. the 2024 Sportage Hybrid Rocks.

https://fourwheeltrends.com/toyota-rav4-most-common-problems-explained/#:~:text=Common Toyota RAV4 issues include oil consumption%2C transmission,suspension%2Fsteering issues%2C water pump failure%2C and electrical problems.

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/articles/rav4-years-to-avoid-an-excellent-cuv-with-a-few-problem-years

RAV4 is far from the reliable SUV Hybrid they have marketed it as. Yes the last few years seem to have worked out the bugs for the most part, but it does have a weirdness that they are either right from the start or a lemon from the start. Seems to be the two types they have come in as they use some of the oldest tech now and are not class leading IMHO.

https://www.caranddriver.com/kia/sportage-hybrid

https://www.edmunds.com/kia/sportage-hybrid/

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/hybrid-suvs

A little more luxury is the Hyundai Tucson Hybrid as an option.

Consumer Reviews to look at:

https://www.edmunds.com/kia/sportage-hybrid/2024/consumer-reviews/

https://www.edmunds.com/kia/sportage-hybrid/2025/

Will have a look

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Everything is up. I thought about buying a new Ranger since my Ranger is at 86k. Keeping my Ranger. 

New Ranger starts mid thirties rather than mid twenties. 

Totally agree with these videos which is so true to me.

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Although I like Kia products I find myself really not wanting to own one. Not sure why. 

I would suggest test driving one as well as the RAV4 on the same day to compare. One of my daughters friends has a Rav4 and has had a few little things that warranty took care of, but other wise solid. Yet after driving Amy's Sportage, she wishes she had checked out others. Mi actually likes the Hyundai Tucson Hybrid better and while her Rav4 is a 2023 model, she uses it for work and so it tends to get high miles, after two years she is knocking on 50K miles now and so is thinking of trading it in on a 2025 Tuscon Hybrid.

Review the Hybrid list above, test drive to compare and go with what you feel is right for you.

27 minutes ago, David said:

Totally agree with these videos which is so true to me.

I would suggest test driving one as well as the RAV4 on the same day to compare. One of my daughters friends has a Rav4 and has had a few little things that warranty took care of, but other wise solid. Yet after driving Amy's Sportage, she wishes she had checked out others. Mi actually likes the Hyundai Tucson Hybrid better and while her Rav4 is a 2023 model, she uses it for work and so it tends to get high miles, after two years she is knocking on 50K miles now and so is thinking of trading it in on a 2025 Tuscon Hybrid.

Review the Hybrid list above, test drive to compare and go with what you feel is right for you.

Cool. Resale also plays a part. at least here in Ohio, Toyotas hold their value way better than Kias. 

• Agree 1

Interesting that the EQS looses 50% of its value in the first year.
EV Price Shock: Mercedes EQS Loses Almost Half Its Value In A Year | Carscoops

Interesting review of luxury versus mid level.
How Does The Genesis GV60 Compare To A High-Spec Hyundai Ioniq 5? | Carscoops

It is interesting and makes one wonder if you could take the Genesis software and update the Ioniq 5 to have the same HP/Torque.

I ideally would like something I could amp in the back of. 

Far easier than towing a teardrop trailer behind the Ranger which would be the other option. 

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Cool. Resale also plays a part. at least here in Ohio, Toyotas hold their value way better than Kias. 

You will be surprised as the Kia Sportage and Rav4 are pretty much neck to neck in retaining resale value.
image.png

2 minutes ago, David said:

You will be surprised as the Kia Sportage and Rav4 are pretty much neck to neck in retaining resale value.
image.png

I have also thought HARD about the Maverik

• Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Although I like Kia products I find myself really not wanting to own one. Not sure why. 

I agree. There's just something in me still that would make it really difficult to buy any Hyundai/Kia. I would rock a Genesis though. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Interesting that the EQS looses 50% of its value in the first year.

We were recently at a Porsche dealership looking at a used Range Rover Sport SVR they had. I asked the salesman a few questions about the Taycan. He said they lose a ton of value right up front but when people do trade them in and they're listed at 70-90k used, they sell within a week. He said they're a tough sell brand new at 120-150k (or whatever they're listed at) but used they sell super quick. So, what it seems like, that's quite obvious here, they're just priced too high brand new. Porsche (and all OEM's, really) needs to find a way to knock 20k off the starting price and a lot more will sell. 

• Agree 1

I have to say that Mercedes has FAILED in giving the EQS a better look, changing from dots on the 2024 front end to lines does not change the ugly nature of this dated tech EV. Nor does the going from a flat emblem to a traditional stand up version make any difference.

2025 model is top, 2024 model is bottom.

Snag_6fc4ee47.png

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, David said:

I have to say that Mercedes has FAILED in giving the EQS a better look, changing from dots on the 2024 front end to lines does not change the ugly nature of this dated tech EV. Nor does the going from a flat emblem to a traditional stand up version make any difference.

2025 model is top, 2024 model is bottom.

Snag_6fc4ee47.png

Just for the record, those are not dots in the grille. Those are the "tristar" Mercedes logo of different sizes. 

it still looks like @ss. I do believe Mercedes has come out and said they'll eventually make the EQS a more conventional 3 box sedan, but I think that's when the ICE S-Class goes away. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

Jeez, 50% of the most depreciated list are EVs. Doesn't seem like a great time to buy into those yet. 

Edited by ccap41
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Just for the record, those are not dots in the grille. Those are the "tristar" Mercedes logo of different sizes. 

it still looks like @ss. I do believe Mercedes has come out and said they'll eventually make the EQS a more conventional 3 box sedan, but I think that's when the ICE S-Class goes away. 

Jeez, 50% of the most depreciated list are EVs. Doesn't seem like a great time to buy into those yet. 

Hybrid for me next I think. Maybe even Maverick hybrid. 

World is getting nuts. 

2 hours ago, David said:

This design is growing on me. 

This looks interesting

The hiker and woodworker in me loves this next one. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Leasing is best with guaranteed trade in in 2 or 3 years for updated tech.

11 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I'm very mixed on all of this.  I have a  religion - the one I was raised in - but I'm not a religious fanatic.  There's somewhat of a compass that comes with being part of a religious community.

On the other hand, my religion, and others, have been criticized for their inability to stay out of people's bedrooms.  Now they're overreaching for wanting into the polling booth with folks.

People are steamed with all this.

13 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I am somewhat interested in visiting Dubai someday.  It looks sort of like a beachside Las Vegas in a rich Middle Eastern locale.

Just be very careful as they have some crazy laws that western folks who do not become aware of can easily break and end up in their crazy legal system and have one less hand, foot, leg, arm as they seem to like to cut off body parts as punishment.

I have never been there myself, but a couple of my coworkers have been for work related and were forewarned by our team members about certain ways to behave, what to watch what you say, etc. 

It is definitely not a western country, but a Muslim one that is trying to project for tourist dollars a western way, but still very strict.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah, I don't plan on keeping a vehicle for only 2-3 years. You kind of lose the fuel savings over ICE if you're continuing to spend more and more on a new vehicle. 

Have to compare your Fuel costs to electrical costs to see as 2-3 years here is huge difference still making leasing a good deal.

Washington for home charging is 10 cents per kW of power compared to for me with the SS, $5.45 per gallon premium that the SS uses or for average regular unleaded fuel $4.659 per gallon. With the cheap EV leases and very cheap electrical, the $500 a month I am spending on Premium fuel for the SS is easily covered by an EV with home charging.

UPDATE: EV9 that is one of the two EVs my wife is considering has a 99.8 kW battery pack. Cost to charge it 100% which you really do not do is $9.98 per charge up at home on a level 2 charger. Figuring my wife fuels up the SS 5 times per month at least and usually more as she tends to fuel every 4 to 5 days currently, $500 on average for Premium fuel versus same 5 charge ups is less than $50.

6 hours ago, David said:

It is definitely not a western country, but a Muslim one that is trying to project for tourist dollars a western way, but still very strict.

This is definitely true.  That's why I'm interested, but not exactly compelled.

On the other hand, Turkiey is a secular Muslim country.  They actually chose the Latin alphabet over an Arabic (type) alphabet.  Istanbul is also sprouting condo towers, but it conducts itself in mostly western ways.  I don't think being disrespectful of the main religion would be too smart, though.  However, it's not much different from some European capitals or major cities.  A couple of their other big cities are supposed to be okay, but I wouldn't know.  My understanding is that the further east you go into Anatolia, the more backwaters it will be.  Not interested.

- - - - -

What I was really going to say:  the subject matter of "if it does not fit, you must acquit" is gone.  Yesterday.

He got off the hook.  He must have had "survivor's guilt" because he couldn't stay out of trouble and got himself locked up.  They never found the person who committed the crime.  Even though I never cared for Amanda Knox - don't like her vibe - they ultimately found the culprit in that mess.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

If your into battery technology, this is an interesting read and clearly GAC of China is beating Toyota of Japan in the Solid state race of EV batteries.

GAC beating Toyota to solid-state battery EV with 600-mile range thanks to large-capacity cell breakthrough - NotebookCheck.net News

Life happens, about two months behind on doing some pruning, but decided to buy an ego pole saw  for dealing with some big branches over the drive way.

Love that I do not have to wear hearing protection. EGO rocks! 

20240414_144211.jpg20240414_144224.jpg

• Oh Yeah! 1

Very cool info on expanding our power gride and connecting up green energy projects faster.

The 2035 Report: Reconductoring With Advanced Conductors Can Accelerate The Rapid Transmission Expansion Required For A Clean Grid - Energy Innovation: Policy and Technology

Very cool press release of Samsung enhancing Tesla Wall chargers. Weird that I missed this till now.

Samsung Announces Collaboration With Tesla at CES 2024 for SmartThings Energy – Samsung Global Newsroom

Life Happens, I was always planning to convert my 1994 Suburban to electric and drive it.

Grandkids came last year via my son's marriage, great kids and now I have a new Grandson.

As such, time to simplify my life. Sold my suburban and said goodbye over the weekend. Some one else can enjoy the custom 402 V8 making 505hp/551 lb-ft of torque.

Newest Grandson

64980.jpeg

Farwell pictures of my suburban.

20240414_131805.jpg20240414_131504.jpg

Remember when Ashtrays were common in autos?

20240414_133845.jpg

• Oh Yeah! 1