Random Thoughts Thread

WOW, If Kia did make the EV9 into a pickup truck and give it the style of these images created by Hot Cars, I bet it would sell big time especially over the hideous CyberTruck that is clearly not setting the after market on fire.
Kia’s EV9 Pickup: A Miserable Design or a Future Success? (kangnamtimes.com)

KiaEV9Truck1.jpegKiaEV9Truck2.jpeg

Very cool updated images of the nearly done Hyundai Ioniq9 SUV.

Hyundai’s Ioniq 9: Likes and Dislikes Divided by Unique Blinker Design (kangnamtimes.com)

Amazing.  Today marks 5 months of not owning a vehicle.  I use a cheap monthly transit pass.  It goes most everywhere I need to go.  I'm saving a lot of coin. 

For one, I'm going to be going back and forth a bit this year.  Then, I really want to do the research before making an auto purchase, especially since I foresee it being a lightly used vehicle in this fairly different context.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Amazing.  Today marks 5 months of not owning a vehicle.  I use a cheap monthly transit pass.  It goes most everywhere I need to go.  I'm saving a lot of coin. 

For one, I'm going to be going back and forth a bit this year.  Then, I really want to do the research before making an auto purchase, especially since I foresee it being a lightly used vehicle in this fairly different context.

Are you thinking ICE, PHEV or EV?

29 minutes ago, David said:

Are you thinking ICE, PHEV or EV?

I.C.E. 

It's going to be slightly used.  I'm thinking Opel, SEAT, VW, and maybe some French models ... mostly ones I've already rented at some point.

There's enough to adjust to across so many realms that this isn't going to be an arena where I want to experiment, especially with so many things on my plate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WOW, Rare 2020 Cadillac CT6 Blackwing edition with only 18,000 miles @ Brotherton Cadillac NW Shoreline. Twin Turbo V8. The only hard part is the $80,519.14 asking price for a 4 year old auto.
https://buy.brothertoncadillacnw.com/shopping/inventory/vehicle/CT6-V/2020?client=T3_CPO_VS[…]ck=DealerStock&vinSlug=1G6KW5RJ9LU103644&zipCode=97201

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David said:

WOW, Rare 2020 Cadillac CT6 Blackwing edition with only 18,000 miles @ Brotherton Cadillac NW Shoreline. Twin Turbo V8. The only hard part is the $80,519.14 asking price for a 4 year old auto.
https://buy.brothertoncadillacnw.com/shopping/inventory/vehicle/CT6-V/2020?client=T3_CPO_VS[…]ck=DealerStock&vinSlug=1G6KW5RJ9LU103644&zipCode=97201

A local dealer has one, white also with like 38k miles for $69k.     I looked at a 2020 CT6 Platinum w/ the 3.6 for $55k w/ 35k miles.   Also looked at a 2019 CT6 Sport (I think that was the trim level?--didn't have the chrome window trim)..,  I didn't realize how low the production numbers for 2019 and 2020 CT6 in all specs were, like 7500 in 2019 and 3600 in 2020...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

A local dealer has one, white also with like 38k miles for $69k.     I looked at a 2020 CT6 Platinum w/ the 3.6 for $55k w/ 35k miles.   Also looked at a 2019 CT6 Sport (I think that was the trim level?--didn't have the chrome window trim)..,  I didn't realize how low the production numbers for 2019 and 2020 CT6 in all specs were, like 7500 in 2019 and 3600 in 2020...

Yes, Production was crazy low for such a popular car.

15 hours ago, David said:

Found out this Blackwing originally sold for $99,490.

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Sorry, wasn't*

I saw every CT6 built and imported here from China sold fast. I think the cost of building and exporting was not what GM wanted for profit level and did the stupid thing of walking away as reviews are all positive on the car. Sales have always been positive, I think GM due to the idiot leadership that moved Cadillac to New York and tried to make it a clone of the Germans was the wrong leader for Cadillac.

29 minutes ago, David said:

I saw every CT6 built and imported here from China sold fast. I think the cost of building and exporting was not what GM wanted for profit level and did the stupid thing of walking away as reviews are all positive on the car. Sales have always been positive, I think GM due to the idiot leadership that moved Cadillac to New York and tried to make it a clone of the Germans was the wrong leader for Cadillac.

There is zero proof you have that every one "sold fast". 

Half the engine options were extremely underwhelming compared to anything this competes with.  a 2.0T and an n/a V6? C'mon Cadillac! 

7 hours ago, ccap41 said:

There is zero proof you have that every one "sold fast". 

Half the engine options were extremely underwhelming compared to anything this competes with.  a 2.0T and an n/a V6? C'mon Cadillac! 

I find it interesting that the CT6 is no longer sold here in NA.  The CT4 and the CT5 are still sold here, but Cadillac is (from a sales perspective) mostly a crossover/SUV shop.

So true and why I feel Tesla has peaked in regard to big growth, they will have continued much slower growth, but the Minimalist interior is the death of any auto and especially Tesla as long as they continue to think people will look at menu's, sub-menus, etc.

Europe's 2026 new rules requiring a set of default buttons/switches to get 5-star safety rating will force Tesla to change or relegate them to a lower tier auto company.

Aston Martin designer says Tesla 'pisses off' its customers with this flaw (msn.com)

15 hours ago, riviera74 said:

I find it interesting that the CT6 is no longer sold here in NA.  The CT4 and the CT5 are still sold here, but Cadillac is (from a sales perspective) mostly a crossover/SUV shop.

Yeah, but they're not the only ones who are almost exclusively an SUV manufacturer. Lincoln has gone ONLY SUV. Most companies sell so many more SUVs than cars that that's where their investments lie. Most people don't want cars anymore. 

32 minutes ago, David said:

So true and why I feel Tesla has peaked in regard to big growth, they will have continued much slower growth, but the Minimalist interior is the death of any auto and especially Tesla as long as they continue to think people will look at menu's, sub-menus, etc.

I know you hate Elon and therefore hate his vehicles, but they sell a sht ton of Model 3's and Y's. Apparently, a lot of people are perfectly fine with the minimalist interiors of them. The 3 has been on sale since 2017 and the minimalist interior has not slowed them down one bit. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah, but they're not the only ones who are almost exclusively an SUV manufacturer. Lincoln has gone ONLY SUV. Most companies sell so many more SUVs than cars that that's where their investments lie. Most people don't want cars anymore. 

I know you hate Elon and therefore hate his vehicles, but they sell a sht ton of Model 3's and Y's. Apparently, a lot of people are perfectly fine with the minimalist interiors of them. The 3 has been on sale since 2017 and the minimalist interior has not slowed them down one bit. 

Yes I hate Elon, but I would not say he is selling a Shit ton of Model 3's and Y's when compared to other auto companies.

Charted: Tesla's Global Sales By Model and Year (2016–2023) (visualcapitalist.com)

From Q2 2016 to Q3 2023 official numbers globally

Model S - 254,283

Model X - 269,136

Model 3 - 2,165,187

Model Y - 2,162,119

302,000 model Y for Q3 2023

117,074 model 3 for Q3 2023

Compared to other auto companies it is not much, yes for pure EV it is allot, but then BYD has surpassed them in Q4 of 2023.

Top All-Electric Car OEMs By Sales In Q4 And 2023: Tesla Vs. BYD (insideevs.com)

Q4 2023 Tesla - 484,507 EVs globally

Q4 2023 BYD - 526,409 EVs globally

2023 (Full Year) International: Worldwide Car Sales - Car Sales Statistics (best-selling-cars.com)

image.png

Would not say Tesla sold a shit ton of autos when they have been surpassed by the Chinese and the Koreans are creeping up on Tesla. 2024 is going to be a very interesting year for auto sales, especially EVs.

10 hours ago, David said:

Yes I hate Elon, but I would not say he is selling a $h! ton of Model 3's and Y's when compared to other auto companies.

Charted: Tesla's Global Sales By Model and Year (2016–2023) (visualcapitalist.com)

From Q2 2016 to Q3 2023 official numbers globally

Model S - 254,283

Model X - 269,136

Model 3 - 2,165,187

Model Y - 2,162,119

302,000 model Y for Q3 2023

117,074 model 3 for Q3 2023

Compared to other auto companies it is not much, yes for pure EV it is allot, but then BYD has surpassed them in Q4 of 2023.

Top All-Electric Car OEMs By Sales In Q4 And 2023: Tesla Vs. BYD (insideevs.com)

Q4 2023 Tesla - 484,507 EVs globally

Q4 2023 BYD - 526,409 EVs globally

2023 (Full Year) International: Worldwide Car Sales - Car Sales Statistics (best-selling-cars.com)

image.png

Would not say Tesla sold a $h! ton of autos when they have been surpassed by the Chinese and the Koreans are creeping up on Tesla. 2024 is going to be a very interesting year for auto sales, especially EVs.

The 3 OR Y outsell all of Cadillac. Selling nearly 2 million a year is pretty much a sht ton when you can't get in one for under 50k. If your ONLY comparison to attempt to bring Tesla down is a cheap Chinese company, it's safe to say Tesla's are selling very well, better than any other electric vehicle. 

Also, just because BYD surpassed them in one quarter, doesn't mean Teslas aren't selling well. 

Again, just because you don't like Elon, doesn't mean people don't love his products. 

Regarding Tesla - it's either love or hate with these vehicles.  A college friend I'll be seeing when in SoCal next month has 2 of them, and I'll probably be riding in both of them - one is his sleeker S model and I forgot which the other one (that his wife drives) is.  In certain places, people have a lot of disposable income and having a Tesla goes with the landscape.

Minimalist(ic) isn't necessarily bad.  We all remember the adage "less is more."  I'll vouch that the workmanship of the interior is good and I can also vouch that the overall look (including the centered everything on one display) is ugly.  I will say that EV motors are supposed to last a long time but the battery replacement is very expensive and the range is currently not that optimal.

I did not like the model Y I had for less than 1 day.  Also, its exterior is mostly ugly.  That's my opinion.

This isn't a discussion I want to get into.  I would much prefer a more user-friendly EV ... and not just yet.

- - - - -

What I was randomly going to say:

I'm not sure whether I'm in shock or still feeling surreal as to what happened in Baltimore.  At first, I thought a ship just hit something on a bridge.  Then I saw the footage and that's the surreal part ... the domino-like collapse of the entire structure and the size of the ship.  I remember having to figure out the forces of either tension or compression on each member of a truss-like structure when I was in school.   A group of us sat there for about 3 or 4 hours one night - with some Mountain Dew - to work that out.

I don't believe I've been on that bridge since it's on the outer beltway, but it's numbered as part of the U.S. interstate system.  From looking at the map, it is the major bridge on the entrance to/exit from Baltimore Harbor.  I hope they find the 6 individuals who were working on it fixing potholes in the middle of the night who fell down with the bridge.  The ship giving a mayday is what allowed them to shut down both approaches to the bridge just in time.  

The weird thing is that it happened on March 26.  IIRC, the deliberate (domino-like) implosion of the reinforced concrete Kingdome in Seattle happened on March 26, 2000 (no rain that day) and people were sitting on slopes overlooking downtown to see that happen.  But that's how it is with planned implosions.  I went there that morning and have photos of the Kingdome's last day somewhere.

https://www.seahawks.com/video/kingdome-implosion-hd

It was indeed March 26, 2000.  I was one of the few who liked the Kingdome.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

The 3 OR Y outsell all of Cadillac. Selling nearly 2 million a year is pretty much a sht ton when you can't get in one for under 50k. If your ONLY comparison to attempt to bring Tesla down is a cheap Chinese company, it's safe to say Tesla's are selling very well, better than any other electric vehicle. 

Also, just because BYD surpassed them in one quarter, doesn't mean Teslas aren't selling well. 

Again, just because you don't like Elon, doesn't mean people don't love his products. 

Considering a planet with 8 Billion and he sold almost 2 million cars, then he is covering .025% of the population compared to other auto companies. I think 2024 going into 2025 we will see other auto companies top Tesla.

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

Regarding Tesla - it's either love or hate with these vehicles.  A college friend I'll be seeing when in SoCal next month has 2 of them, and I'll probably be riding in both of them - one is his sleeker S model and I forgot which the other one (that his wife drives) is.  In certain places, people have a lot of disposable income and having a Tesla goes with the landscape.

Minimalist(ic) isn't necessarily bad.  We all remember the adage "less is more."  I'll vouch that the workmanship of the interior is good and I can also vouch that the overall look (including the centered everything on one display) is ugly.  I will say that EV motors are supposed to last a long time but the battery replacement is very expensive and the range is currently not that optimal.

I did not like the model Y I had for less than 1 day.  Also, its exterior is mostly ugly.  That's my opinion.

This isn't a discussion I want to get into.  I would much prefer a more user-friendly EV ... and not just yet.

- - - - -

What I was randomly going to say:

I'm not sure whether I'm in shock or still feeling surreal as to what happened in Baltimore.  At first, I thought a ship just hit something on a bridge.  Then I saw the footage and that's the surreal part ... the domino-like collapse of the entire structure and the size of the ship.  I remember having to figure out the forces of either tension or compression on each member of a truss-like structure when I was in school.   A group of us sat there for about 3 or 4 hours one night - with some Mountain Dew - to work that out.

I don't believe I've been on that bridge since it's on the outer beltway, but it's numbered as part of the U.S. interstate system.  From looking at the map, it is the major bridge on the entrance to/exit from Baltimore Harbor.  I hope they find the 6 individuals who were working on it fixing potholes in the middle of the night who fell down with the bridge.  The ship giving a mayday is what allowed them to shut down both approaches to the bridge just in time.  

The weird thing is that it happened on March 26.  IIRC, the deliberate (domino-like) implosion of the reinforced concrete Kingdome in Seattle happened on March 26, 2000 (no rain that day) and people were sitting on slopes overlooking downtown to see that happen.  But that's how it is with planned implosions.  I went there that morning and have photos of the Kingdome's last day somewhere.

https://www.seahawks.com/video/kingdome-implosion-hd

It was indeed March 26, 2000.  I was one of the few who liked the Kingdome.

You and I are two peas in a pod as I also was up on a hill watching the implosion and thinking what a waste as it was a great building. I love the Kingdome and hate the new stadium. 

Agree it was surreal to see the ship hit the support pillar and the whole building just collapse. Be interesting to see what replaces it as today bridges built like that are not allowed due to the exact nature of how it collapsed. 

Yes, Tesla is a love or hate and the minimalist approach is not for everyone. I honestly have to agree with the comment @smk4565 I believe made that the touch screen only will be the future of cheap autos and switches and buttons will be the higher end autos.

Interesting times we live in for sure.