Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

It was a battery-ONLY unit; power grid fluctuations are irrelevant.

Okay. That clarifies that. My last one was hard wired with a lithium battery backup. Ran for six years before I moved back to NC. One thing to consider is the maker of said smoke detector and who sources their batteries. Thing is that all of that irrelevant because EV batteries will have a unified standard applied (if not already) unlike smoke detector batteries. There will be more reliable and consistent references and guides for this. Smoke detector batteries will not be subject to the same standards. Your one example doesn't mean there is a widespread issue either without more research.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• balthazar

• David

• Robert Hall

• ocnblu

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

• • • ORDERED A TRUCK TODAY. • • •

This whole crossover craze has gone a bit too far....

Been away for a while.. summer stuff.. figured I'd get out an live while the weather was warm. Decided to get back into riding bikes.. had given it up back in '05 after my then wife (now ex) had issue

Posted Images

I have seen from name brand 9V to generic 9V batteries live a wide range of life. For smoke detectors, habit is every XMAS, Replace the 9V no matter what to insure it is fresh and strong. Cheap insurance I think that way.

Huge difference between a four dollar nine volt battery and a twenty thousand dollar Tesla battery.

Point is made though. Although I bet if you pulled the history of the ten Rangers built right before mine and the ten Rangers built right after mine...and did it in ten years...there would be a wide wide variety of natural life spans for that Ecoboost four cylinder motor.

18 minutes ago, balthazar said:

No 9V replaceable batteries are sold with a claimed 10-yr operating lifespan.

This is why I only use internal combustion smoke detectors in my home. Those extra pipes through my roof aren't vent stacks for plumbing they are exhaust stacks for the detectors.

Getting a little tired of running around the house with a small oil can trying to keep them fueled.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Point is made though. Although I bet if you pulled the history of the ten Rangers built right before mine and the ten Rangers built right after mine...and did it in ten years...there would be a wide wide variety of natural life spans for that Ecoboost four cylinder motor.

Sure, but obviously 20 internal combustion engines operated by 20 operators over 10 years may involve a 1000 variables all affecting those outcomes. I expect all 20 -sans accidents- to still be operating. This, tho the OEM only basically guarantees it to work for 3 years.

I was merely saying that in the most stress-less scenario like I outlined, a L-I battery should be able to perform to it's maximum potential & advertised lifespan. Or at least 90% of that. It's a controlled demonstration cycle.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Sure, but obviously 20 internal combustion engines operated by 20 operators over 10 years may involve a 1000 variables all affecting those outcomes. I expect all 20 -sans accidents- to still be operating. This, tho the OEM only basically guarantees it to work for 3 years.

I was merely saying that in the most stress-less scenario like I outlined, a L-I battery should be able to perform to it's maximum potential & advertised lifespan. Or at least 90% of that. It's a controlled demonstration cycle.

And battery life is a huge concern. Would actually love to own a model 3 but if you ever have to replace a battery pack...yowzers.

And yeah...I have replaced a bunch of those detectors that didn't last ten years 

10 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Kokomo IN, 1952 :

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 7.45.24 PM.png

Love the fastback style of the car on the far left. Awesome old pictures.

On 11/27/2020 at 7:48 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

....and an advanced 4WD system could help you navagate Michigan's notoriously $h!ty roads. I always know when I go from Ohio to Michigan, because the pavement looks like something one would find in a bombed out jungle in Laos or a dirt path one would find in Tibet. 

Apparently Michigan has as much trouble playing football as they do maintaining roads, as Michigan is really having an off year. I say this not to run you or Michigan down, but because I want big ten football to stand up and represent. I normally cheer for any big ten team over any non big ten team, exept for Penn State, because I despise Penn State football. 

We judge/compete with Penn State in debate, and every time I write a win for a pen state debater, I hAve to remind the students that jsut because they won the round....it doesn't mean I like their football team.

Then again an Ox and Cart might be cheaper, and you wouldn't have to put up with the inevitable C and G electric vs. ICE debate. You would have your own alternative fuel powertrain!

Hope you had a Great thanksgiving. 

I did, hope you did as well. 🙂

Yeah, and when I cross into Ohio (either on 75 or 23) the roads become much, much better. Bunch of construction though! I had to get each one of the tires on my Cobalt repaired last winter....that was pretty nuts!

Seems Michigan as no defense at all this year. Can’t stop it in the air or the run. Same issue as the Lions it seems. I get the feeling it will get worse. Also found that our QB is playing hurt....but still.....

• Upvote 2
  •   Reads about Michigan State Football and about the Detroit Lions'

VIDEO: 6 of the best Axel Foley moments · The Daily Edge

• laughs because the Lions have been pathetic as long as I have been watching NFL football. (since the mid-80s)  Laughs even more because as a Cowboy fan, the Lions cant seriously be more pathetic than the Cowboys...can they?
  • Proceeds to google Lions 2020 season

Cotton Fleece Jacket of Axel Foley (Eddie Murphy) in Beverly Hills Cop |  Spotern

• cant believe what Im seeing, Lions season is only marginally better.  WTF???!!!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Been a crazy NFL season...the Broncos don't even have a quarterback today (been a Broncos fan since the late 90s).  Browns have done better than I thought they would this year.  Steelers are great as usual. 

7 hours ago, daves87rs said:

I did, hope you did as well. 🙂

Yeah, and when I cross into Ohio (either on 75 or 23) the roads become much, much better. Bunch of construction though! I had to get each one of the tires on my Cobalt repaired last winter....that was pretty nuts!

Seems Michigan as no defense at all this year. Can’t stop it in the air or the run. Same issue as the Lions it seems. I get the feeling it will get worse. Also found that our QB is playing hurt....but still.....

Ohio--land of orange barrels.   The orange barrel is the (un)official state flower of Ohio. 

Yeah, Michigan has been disappointing for years.   Always had a long running sibling rivalry w/ my brother over Michigan vs Ohio State (I went to Michigan in the 90s for grad school, my brother went to Ohio State in the late 60s-early 70s). 

• Upvote 3

Could you be referring to the Dallas Cowboys as the world's most over-rated sports franchise?

Im afraid...you could be right...

Sad emoticon | Stock Images Page | Everypixel

I gotta turn that frown upside down....

• I keep on reading and I come across Milwaukee and I fondly remember a certain TV show.  

retrowar: “'Happy Days' hotrod ” | Famous vehicles, Hot rods cars, Cars  movie

• Strangely enough...Im HAPPY again (wink wink)

• I also fondly remember questioning the Milwaukee baseball club name when I was a young tike and watching MLB.  I didnt quite understand what a Brewer was.  Heck, being born in Montreal and being a fan of MY city's baseball club, I didnt understand what an Expo was either...  
  • But then, I became of legal drinking age and I understood quite well...   

Old Milwaukee | Beer Xpress

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 3
  • Reads about batteries, 9V batteries, smoke detectors...realizes that I didnt change my smoke detector batteries since last year, remembers that I bought the damned batteries last year...
  • Reads the package of the 9V battery and sees that at least Duracell, guarantees 5 years...in storage...
  • please excuse me for a few moments while I change my batteries in my smoke detectors

DURACELL.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:
  • Reads about batteries, 9V batteries, smoke detectors...realizes that I didnt change my smoke detector batteries since last year, remembers that I bought the damned batteries last year...
  • Reads the package of the 9V battery and sees that at least Duracell, guarantees 5 years...in storage...
  • please excuse me for a few moments while I change my batteries in my smoke detectors

DURACELL.jpg

Just read this morning about a CEO who was quite well liked...and died at 46 due to a house fire.

No political posts...but I hate the Dallas Cowboys. I might change my opinion on other things...not that.

Steelers doing wonderful.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

Could you be referring to the Dallas Cowboys as the world's most over-rated sports franchise?

Im afraid...you could be right...

Sad emoticon | Stock Images Page | Everypixel

I gotta turn that frown upside down....

• I keep on reading and I come across Milwaukee and I fondly remember a certain TV show.  

retrowar: “'Happy Days' hotrod ” | Famous vehicles, Hot rods cars, Cars  movie

• Strangely enough...Im HAPPY again (wink wink)

• I also fondly remember questioning the Milwaukee baseball club name when I was a young tike and watching MLB.  I didnt quite understand what a Brewer was.  Heck, being born in Montreal and being a fan of MY city's baseball club, I didnt understand what an Expo was either...  
  • But then, I became of legal drinking age and I understood quite well...   

Old Milwaukee | Beer Xpress

You would be correct. When you have to blow the dust off of a VHS tape and find a VCR to see their “glory days”, that says all I need to know about that team. 

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

You would be correct. When you have to blow the dust off of a VHS tape and find a VCR to see their “glory days”, that says all I need to know about that team. 

When I become a fan of a team, Im a fan for life for that team.  Only once have I jumped ship. I was once a Montreal Canadiens fan. I got turned off by the that club, became a Bruins fan and that is that.

Regarding the Cowboys...I fell in love with the team when I started watching the NFL in the early to mid '80s for whatever reason.  The lore of the Cowboys from the 1970s I guess. The allure of the Cowboy's cheerleaders...the "America's Team" moniker that was touted from back then...    Tony Dorsett and Herschel Walker.   All the glamour and glitz that was the Cowboys back then.  So...Ill stick with them with all the ups an downs.  Even when they are losing, from the late 1990s all the way to today, you GOT to admit, its entertaining AF!!!!

From Tony Romo fumbling the damned football because his hot Jessica Simpson girlfriend is in the stands, to Terrell Owens pretend mooning the fans and the Cowboys' logo in their own home as an opposing player, to him crying because the fans and media are rough on "his quarterback" when he actually became a Cowboy himself a year or two later after the mooning incident, to well, this year... The Cowboys are FUN to watch!!!   Its awesome when they live up to the famous "America's Team" moniker with the 3 1990s Superbowls to the almost impossible task to live up to that moniker and them imploding the way they do.  Win or lose, the Cowboys are very entertaining.   

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 2
9 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Yet those awful Lions currently have a better record than the most overrated sports franchise in the history of sports. Regardless, Patricia had to go.

It would be better if the Lions were sold to a better owner, then get a real GM and head coach and draft a franchise QB.  Lions have not had a franchise QB in decades.  (Stafford does not qualify.)

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

It would be better if the Lions were sold to a better owner, then get a real GM and head coach and draft a franchise QB.  Lions have not had a franchise QB in decades.  (Stafford does not qualify.)

Could we also stop the stupid over payment of money to these jocks and have the owners pay for their own stadiums rather than dump the millions on the tax payers.

Just saying, stupid over payments to the jocks, stupid dumping of hundreds of millions of debt on the local tax payers, dumping of maintenance cost on the tax payers when the Billionaire owners can afford it themselves.