Jump to content

Random Thoughts Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

what’s the expected life of a water heater

I think they say around 12-14 years, but mine started leaking earlier and at my parents house it leaked after 9 years and destroyed laminate floor.  

If the water heater somewhere where it can do damage if it leaks I would strongly suggest replacing it pre-emptively. 

Personally, I put tankless water heater in my house.

Edited by ykX
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 19.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • balthazar

    3194

  • David

    3064

  • Robert Hall

    1790

  • ocnblu

    1736

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2021 GMC Sierra Elevation crew cab / 6.5' bed. 3.0L DuraMax / 10-spd.   It's only money.

Been away for a while.. summer stuff.. figured I'd get out an live while the weather was warm. Decided to get back into riding bikes.. had given it up back in '05 after my then wife (now ex) had issue

This whole crossover craze has gone a bit too far....

Posted Images

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

There's some sort of homeowner study entity that has done studies- the average life expectancy of just about any major home appliance is only 12-14 years.

I've been in my house 28 years. Did water heater #2 at 14 years (it started leaking), did water heater #3 last year- it would randomly only provide lukewarm water. Mine's in the basement, which is unfinished... tho the sump pit is in the opposite corner from the heater. Yes; you can certainly do a pre-emptive.

I remember when my grandfather replaced his water heater- I am going to say it was around 2010. That unit was a '57, but it had a copper tank. The industry realized they were lasting too long and engineered limited lifespan glass tanks. I have his '58 GE Combination refrigerator - still works great tho I only use it Thanksgiving week. Old appliances lasted forever- their lifespans are shorter now than any other time.

 

2 hours ago, ykX said:

I think they say around 12-14 years, but mine started leaking earlier and at my parents house it leaked after 9 years and destroyed laminate floor.  

If the water heater somewhere where it can do damage if it leaks I would strongly suggest replacing it pre-emptively. 

Personally, I put tankless water heater in my house.

When I was assembling the snow blower the other night, I looked up and was eye height with the installer's label on the water tank.  It was installed in 1994.... hence the question.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to have to check the vintage on my water heater..it's working fine currently.  I've replaced the furnace, washer and dryer since I've been here almost 4 years now.  A/C was still working fine this summer, but it is a 1991 vintage unit. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to get a tankless one next time.  No need to keep a whole big tank of water hot over time, plus it saves space.  It would require discipline when taking a shower though, and my water is hard, so I understand it would need yearly flushing or whatev.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Ok, for my tech question:

Is ViewSonic for a basic, no frills desktop monitor a decent enough brand?

ViewSonic has been a hit and miss for me both home and at work. They tend to pick up the surplus parts / stuff that needs to be dumped and so I say buyer beware. They have some good deals, but you need to read reviews and see how the life is on the specific model. Be careful!

I tend to stay with NEC and DELL monitors as they just last, at least for me they have.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

@balthazar and @A Horse With No Name

what’s the expected life of a water heater and should it be proactively replaced if it is well over that age but otherwise functioning normally?

Here, water heaters seem to run in 5, 10 and 15 year warranties. A test to see if the water heater needs replacement is to take a clear bowl or plastic container, fill it up with hot water. If it looks rusty colored, then the water tank is starting to wear out and needs replacement.

I usually flush mine once a year. I have been lucky to have 5 year water tanks last about 15 years this way.

4 hours ago, ykX said:

I think they say around 12-14 years, but mine started leaking earlier and at my parents house it leaked after 9 years and destroyed laminate floor.  

If the water heater somewhere where it can do damage if it leaks I would strongly suggest replacing it pre-emptively. 

Personally, I put tankless water heater in my house.

Not a fan of Tankless water heaters, they can fail far easier than a water tank and flood a house. My sisters house was built with one and the first one lasted 4 years, second is at 6 but leaking so they have it scheduled to replace it. 

Plus if you loose power, a gas hot water tank at least gives you 30 to 50 gallons to use depending on size where a tankless unit is not able too till power is restored.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, David said:

ViewSonic has been a hit and miss for me both home and at work. They tend to pick up the surplus parts / stuff that needs to be dumped and so I say buyer beware. They have some good deals, but you need to read reviews and see how the life is on the specific model. Be careful!

I tend to stay with NEC and DELL monitors as they just last, at least for me they have.

The particular ViewSonic model gets high customer rankings.  I've seen some of theirs that didn't on the same site.

I know I mentioned this here before.  I bought an HP monitor.  It went out in a year or two.  Thankfully, I kept the old monitor, also HP and ancient but super reliable, and that's what I have hooked up now. 

I tried hooking up the failed newer one again but I can't even get the blue light to show up.  Does this mean it's toast or are there other tests?  Too bad, because I like both the brand and the design of the monitor.  There was a power outage, and I have a new(er) surge protector, but the monitor seems to have failed while everything else thankfully "lived."

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Recent statements by Toyota's CEO (and GM's CEO) have me changing my mind about buying a Toyota product in the future.  Maybe a RAV4 Adventure?

Edited by ocnblu
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, David said:

Not a fan of Tankless water heaters, they can fail far easier than a water tank and flood a house.

As I said before, my parents house water tank lasted  9 years and than leaked and destroyed the floor.  I haven't heard about tankless leaking.  They do require yearly maintenance and they are way more efficient than regular ones.  Seems the early models weren't very reliable but i heard they got better now.  Mine is two years old and i have friends with 3-5 year old tanks.  If they break they simply stop heating, not leak.  Regular water tanks do keep working without power but i have generator now in case i loose power so I am not worried.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

@balthazar and @A Horse With No Name

what’s the expected life of a water heater and should it be proactively replaced if it is well over that age but otherwise functioning normally?

Around here we have insanely hard water...so they generally last 8 to 10 years.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

The particular ViewSonic model gets high customer rankings.  I've seen some of theirs that didn't on the same site.

I know I mentioned this here before.  I bought an HP monitor.  It went out in a year or two.  Thankfully, I kept the old monitor, also HP and ancient but super reliable, and that's what I have hooked up now. 

I tried hooking up the failed newer one again but I can't even get the blue light to show up.  Does this mean it's toast or are there other tests?  Too bad, because I like both the brand and the design of the monitor.  There was a power outage, and I have a new(er) surge protector, but the monitor seems to have failed while everything else thankfully "lived."

Possible the power supply got fried. You could take apart the monitor and see what type of power supply it uses. Then check online for pricing, a possible cheap way to see if a new power supply would bring the monitor back to life.

I use UPS in my home on all computer gear to protect it against outages/brownouts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bronco Sport is getting excellent reviews, whether 3- or 4-cylinder powered.  While I haven't seen/felt up an example in the flesh yet, they look like a daggone nice little CUV.  One feature that makes me swoon:  the separate liftglass in the gate.  I just don't understand why everyone doesn't do that.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ The '11 Jeep Liberty Sport here has that, but frankly it's almost never used. The un-framed glass kinda makes me nervous slinging items thru. Still, it might be handy when moving long items. But I'd prefer a retractable glass in a hatch.

Ah, so you're getting a 4Runner?  Because I believe Toyota 4Runner is the only SUV/wagon that still has a retractable back glass.

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

makes me nervous slinging items thru

Well, ya gotta open the glass first.  :smilewide:

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2020 at 7:44 AM, balthazar said:

All junk. 

Name one SUV made in the last forty years that is more reliable long term (sorry but recalls do not mean "unreliable") while having killer resale like the 4Runner (go ahead and sprinkle in the Land Cruiser while you're at it).

Edited by surreal1272
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

toyoters in general are junk. They used to be very good, then Corporate dropped the ball. 4-runner is probably the best of them. Of course; it's 11 years old currently; last 10 years has had 1 engine, 1 transmission, 1 wheelbase. If an OEM can't get that right after a decade...

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sylvania; inventor of the fluorescent tube light (and the fixtures) - first shown at the '39 World's Fair.  2nd largest radio tube manufacturer, 3rd largest light bulb manufacturer.  Emporium, Pennsylvania.

Now a label belonging to a Chinese consortium.

  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Sylvania; inventor of the fluorescent tube light (and the fixtures) - first shown at the '39 World's Fair.  2nd largest radio tube manufacturer, 3rd largest light bulb manufacturer.  Emporium, Pennsylvania.

Now a label belonging to a Chinese consortium.

Sadly the fate of many brands now.....

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...