Random Thoughts Thread

4 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

More Montreal Botanical Guarden...I love this...

Image may contain: 1 person, plant, outdoor and nature

Thank you.  I love the Montreal Botanical Garden ... the whole city and area, actually.  Easily my favorite city in Canada.  Even before it became cool and the hipsters and counterculture idiots descended on the Plateau neighborhood.  I have only seen the botanical garden in the fall.  They indicate with signage that the visitor's experience will differ depending on the month and season in which they are visiting.  I'm sure that spring and summer might have more ideal conditions in the botanical garden while, in fall, there's a tradeoff because you get peak autumn color instead.  

17 minutes ago, David said:

Same here, freezing weather this weekend with the start of Snow in the Mountains Saturday Night and then snow moving into the low lands for Seattle by monday.

That's one of the nicer things about the Seattle area.  It gets dusted infrequently, lightly, and it melts quickly but, while it lasts, it's downright glorious.  The best view is driving across the floating bridges westward into the city and seeing the snow capped Olympics in the distance on a cold, clear day.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• balthazar

• David

• Robert Hall

• ocnblu

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2021 GMC Sierra Elevation crew cab / 6.5' bed. 3.0L DuraMax / 10-spd.   It's only money.

Been away for a while.. summer stuff.. figured I'd get out an live while the weather was warm. Decided to get back into riding bikes.. had given it up back in '05 after my then wife (now ex) had issue

This whole crossover craze has gone a bit too far....

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Even before it became cool and the hipsters and counterculture idiots descended on the Plateau neighborhood.

Many Montrealers feel the same way about that neighborhood.  

It started getting that way in the mid-1990s. 

Ill tell you one thing though about Le Plateau IN the 1990s...I dated some really freaky chicks that lived in the neighborhood at the time.

When this song came out...I immediately had some flashbacks.  

• Upvote 1

Crap ton of deer while I was out hiking...I lost count somewhere between 25 and 30

• Haha 2
48 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

One of my favorite players when i was young....

I never got to see him play. He retired before I had a chance. 

But...I got to see Barry Bonds as a Pirate and a Giant at the Olympic Stadium many many times.  I LOVED Barry.  Many folk crapped his way. I found him to be entertaining on and off the field. 

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Crap ton of deer while I was out hiking...I lost count somewhere between 25 and 30

Probably because they travel in groups?  They can be pretty dumb, lazily sauntering across main roads.

In the past, I used to think "ah, deer ... cute."  Now I think fender benders and Lyme disease.

This is my buddy’s dream car, a ‘67 ‘GTO’ (it’s a LeMans with a GTO tail panel welded in).
It’s about ar the same point as my ‘59, so I started trash talking him; saying my car is going to BURY his on the street. They should weigh about the same.
The other day I asked him to remind me what motor is on it. Mine will be a circa 470 CI Buick 455. I had thought he had a Chevy 454 in this, but..... he corrected me. Has a crate 572  with what he claims is 675 HP.
If that’s true, I’m in trouble.

B18049C3-A5CD-48C4-BCAF-9D1220ECAC44.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Sounds like each of you are living your best life.  Now, just to pass the time, I got out my $6 calculator and did a little math.  Seems that at 22 months gestation period, a female elephant could have theoretically brought 46 precocious little bundles of joy into the world in the same period of time it's taken you two to concurrently build your respective projects./CHANGE MY MIND  :smilewide:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 8.37.56 AM.png

I see its for sale.  (Or was? )

Now... would it be a travesty for the new owner to rip the slant 6 out and replace it with a Hellcat powertrain?

Because if I wanted to buy a Charger to restomod and/or and pro-tour it, I wouldnt know and be quite hesitant to do it to this car in particular. 

1. It looks like a PERFECT candidate for such an endeavor. One owner car. Under 30 000 miles. Body and frame look perfect.  No rust etc...

2. BUT...  One owner car with an original engine. Sure its a 6 cylinder, and NOT a Hemi or a 440,  but Im assuming its a very RARE car these days. And the slant 6 was a legendary powerplant in its own right.    I think if it had a 318 under the hood, I wouldnt be asking the same question. 

Im usually one to NOT focus on such things, but sometimes...I do. 

Edited by oldshurst442

I was just talking smack on the Slant Six (I owned one for a bit).
Actually, in this case I would leave it as is; a rare, excellent-shape original. There’s plenty of Chargers out there to build.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Well...way to go to turn the tables on me like that...

But Ill have to agree on leaving that car alone, only to repair and restore it where needed and  continue driving it.

That is why I asked the question to begin with. 

• Upvote 1

So...a little bit of backstory.   Senior high school kids in Quebec go to school every 2nd day. Their off day they do they do the zoom thing. They are also separated by bubbles. (Cue in Seinfeld's Bubble Boy episode RIGHT HERE

I got a call from my daughter yesterday that a kid from her class/bubble got tested positive for Covid. So I had to pick her up from school  because she (and all of her classmates that are in the same bubble)  wasnt allowed on the school bus (and my boy although he was able to take the bus home)

Anyway...long story short.  I got an e-mail letter from le Gouvernement du Québec health département that my daughter and anybody and everybody living in the same house as her gots to get tested for Covid-19.   

So...yippee!!!  I get to get tested for Covidness tomorrow! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Sad 1

I forgot to mention:  My daughter did not hang around that boy because she thinks he is stupid. All of his friends too.  She also said that he had missed the last 2 school days. 

There are several good news to this:

1. Is that she hasnt had any symptoms for at least that many days and even longer...  Could be that she is asymptomatic, but if she has it and now I and the other members of our family have it, well, we havent showed signs of Covid either.

2. Is that she thinks that  boys are stupid. She is 15 and quite smart and quite cute.  I also know that she thinks that most boys are stupid! 

3.  She still finds boys stupid at 15!   I dont have to worry about stupid boys for a tad longer! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Never thought about it before but sure; printed sales brochure for hearses :

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 3.13.21 PM.png

Reminds me of the 007 flick "Diamonds are Forever" where the mortuary company in Las Vegas that was also a front for smuggling diamonds was named Slumber and Company.  As one of the funnier Bond movies, it also had characters the likes of Tiffany Case, Plenty O'Toole, the Whyte House (which would have been the Las Vegas Hilton at the time), and Bambi and Thumper.  

• Upvote 1