Random Thoughts Thread

@trinacriabobSomething like this one?

1978-pontiac-bonneville-landau-coupe.jpg

1978 Pontiac Bonneville | Legendary Motors - Classic Cars, Muscle Cars, Hot Rods & Antique Cars - Beverly, MA (legendarymotorsllc.com)

Lovely car, already sold though, a ton of great pics at the link above.

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 20.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• balthazar

• David

• A Horse With No Name

• Robert Hall

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been away for a while.. summer stuff.. figured I'd get out an live while the weather was warm. Decided to get back into riding bikes.. had given it up back in '05 after my then wife (now ex) had issue

This whole crossover craze has gone a bit too far....

• • • ORDERED A TRUCK TODAY. • • •

Posted Images

^ That is hilarious...obviously the product of a warped mind..that 'deck' looks decorative, don't see any ramps or tie downs to actually haul a vehicle...

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, David said:

@trinacriabobSomething like this one?

1978-pontiac-bonneville-landau-coupe.jpg

1978 Pontiac Bonneville | Legendary Motors - Classic Cars, Muscle Cars, Hot Rods & Antique Cars - Beverly, MA (legendarymotorsllc.com)

Lovely car, already sold though, a ton of great pics at the link above.

@David This would be the slightly downsized '77-'78-'79 coupe roofline.

The one I saw at Yosemite was either a '75 or '76.

Yes, similar to the landau roof and interior color.  Those wheels, but not color keyed.  The exterior was a dark metallic green.  Also, being the larger predecessor, there was a crease at the top of the fender, not to mention slight "fins" in the back to wrap the horizontal lamps around.  And, in that fender top crease would rest the lower edge and molding for the landau roof, which looked great, rather than terminating on a more slabby side.

The above has a true blue Pontiac V8 - a 400.  These would have had 403s (by Olds) slotted into them for Calif.  But these downsized ones could, and did, run with 350s, 301s ...

Today, these would be considered "very large" cars.  I think the '75 and '76 would be considered "enormous" cars.

It would be great to get behind the wheel of a large V8 powered RWD American car just to see how different it feels after driving FWD - rack and pinion - McPherson struts for so long.

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Salina KS ~ 

Salina KS.png

Yep, that's a fine looking Pontiac at the left. That would be the body style of the one I saw.

Let's see, going around the semicircle from the left: add Hornet, Cordoba, Monza, Rabbit, Regal (or lower cost Century), Nova, and Elite.

• Upvote 2

Today's birthday directory / announcement says it's Sixty8panther's birthday!  One of the more colorful personalities who is / has been on the C&G forum.  I hope he's doing well.

• Upvote 3
8 minutes ago, balthazar said:

They lost around a foot & a half in length and 1000 lbs; pretty ‘big’ downsize!

They still weighed quite a bit, so they must have weighed a helluva lot before the downsize.

The downsize was obviously enough for 250 inline 6s to pull Impalas, 231 V6s to pull LeSabres, and 260 V8s to pull Eighty-Eights, though maybe not in that initial year. 

I've only ridden in the "post downsize" ones so I don't know if they kept the ride quality of the land yacht GMs that came before them.

When the colonnades got downsized (A-body to G-body, I believe), the ride quality remained, but they felt lighter and more nimble.

A '77 Bonneville 2-dr's listed weight was 3579.
A '76 Bonneville 2-dr's listed weight was 4308.
Not quite 1000 there.
But at Cadillac, the Deville lost 9" and the Brougham lost 12", with an average weight loss of 950 lbs.

In '75, the Catalina, Bonneville & Grand Ville engine choices were either the 455 or the 400.
Prior to that; '70-73, the Catalina base engine was the 355. ( ;) )

22 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

The downsize was obviously enough for 250 inline 6s to pull Impalas

'77 Impala 4-dr listed weight was 3670.
'Obviously enough'... I dunno : 250/auto car did 0-60 in almost 17 secs (350 V8 car did it in 9.8 secs).

18 hours ago, balthazar said:

'77 Impala 4-dr listed weight was 3670.
'Obviously enough'... I dunno : 250/auto car did 0-60 in almost 17 secs (350 V8 car did it in 9.8 secs).

Well, it was to make them loss leaders and to make full-sizes accessible to a broader segment.  For one, I could hardly see the previous '76 Grandville Brougham sedan with a 6, or even a 4.3 V8.  That would be absurd.  I can only imagine where the temperature gauge would go when climbing the Grapevine on I-5, for example.

With the downsize, a 6 cylinder, together with a bench seat, blackwalls, and wheel covers, could put people who needed and wanted the roominess but didn't need the power behind a full size for less coin.  I'm thinking a retired lady in the flat parts of the interior who just needed to shop and go to church.  That is, for the most part, who bought the 6s and the 4.3 V8s in these cars.  The traveling salesman would go Brougham, larger engine, and all the power accessories.

Edit:  I am correcting myself.  Either a 229/231 V6 and a 250 I-6 was in fact available for all BOP + C entry-level grade full-sizes (Impala, Bonneville/Catalina(?), 88, LeSabre) in that initial 1977 model.

@David I forgot to mention the sticker shown for that Bonneville - $ 8,197.  Amazing.  And that's with an upcharge for the 400 V8 and the heavy duty alternator! Had they gone with a small block V8 and skipped the upgraded alternator, it would have come it at $ 7,9##.  Where do I sign ... for that same price?  Stat!

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Upvote 2

As far as full sizers w/ 6 cylinders, I think the only '71-76 GM B-bodies with 6s would be the Chevy Biscayne/Bel Air in '71-73 (a 3spd manual was standard w/ the 6!),  and the '76 Buick Le Sabre had an available Buick V6.   That must have been quite the slug.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

As far as full sizers w/ 6 cylinders, I think the only '71-76 GM B-bodies with 6s would be the Chevy Biscayne/Bel Air in '71-73 (a 3spd manual was standard w/ the 6!),  and the '76 Buick Le Sabre had an available Buick V6.   That must have been quite the slug.

I believe that about the early '70s full-size Chevys.  And, now that I think of it, I vaguely recall V6 front fender badging on a rare few LeSabres from that year - which would mean before being shrunken and while still "odd firing."  Boohoo to that sort of combination.  What were they smoking?  And, if CR commented on how slow the V6 was in the Century of that time, the word "slug" when fitted to the LeSabre would be an understatement!

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 5.55.17 PM.png

I saw this and immediately thought of this, and that I no longer opt to swim in salt water ...

30TB-WHALESHARKS2-videoSixteenByNineJumb

8 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

1964 Pontiac Banshee XP-333 Prototype | HiConsumption

1964_Pontiac_BansheeXP8334 | | CorvSport.com

This '60s Pontiac concept car is being sold by a Kia dealership in  Connecticut | Driving

Big thumbs up here.  I think that Pontiac could have definitely pulled off a great variant of the Corvette.  And that I'd rather we had a Firebird on the market today than a Camaro.  And that Buick should release the Trans Am-alike vehicle that has been mocked up since they won't be doing regular cars anymore.  Lots of "what ifs" here.

• Upvote 2
32 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Big thumbs up here.  I think that Pontiac could have definitely pulled off a great variant of the Corvette.  And that I'd rather we had a Firebird on the market today than a Camaro.  And that Buick should release the Trans Am-alike vehicle that has been mocked up since they won't be doing regular cars anymore.  Lots of "what ifs" here.

I heard a story about how corporate didnt want to jeopardize and cannibalize  Corvette sales and forced Pontiac to use Chevrolet's new F Platform that would house the Camaro.  Having two 2-seater sports cars would be a money losing preposition for both brands.  

And I think they would be right.  Although it would have been awesome to have seen it alive. But then again, the Firebird/Formula/Trans Am was quite the success and quite the exciting sports car itself.   

I would have loved to have seen a 2nd generation Fiero. I would have preferred that corporate would have NOT interfered with the Fiero's original engineering which is rumored that the Fiero was bean counted to extreme.  It would have been quite the machine itself and probably that would have meant the death for the Firebird itself.  But the Fiero had a sexiness (and potential performance) that the death of the Firebird would sting a lot less. Besides, a Fiero Trans Am with a LT1 or LS1 V8 could have been a thing...    Of course THAT could have been the death of the Corvette too, but an affordable mid-engined V8 supercar would have come from GM THAT much earlier...   

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1