Jump to content

Random Thoughts Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 21.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • balthazar

    3382

  • David

    3271

  • A Horse With No Name

    2039

  • Robert Hall

    1894

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2021 GMC Sierra Elevation crew cab / 6.5' bed. 3.0L DuraMax / 10-spd.   It's only money.

This whole crossover craze has gone a bit too far....

• • • ORDERED A TRUCK TODAY. • • •

Posted Images

Hit upon some very cool videos:

Gotta say I am loving that 66 Riviera lights!

Course love the front end too!

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2021 at 1:26 PM, ccap41 said:

Not trying to be all political but, that's what your people(west coast) have voted for, more government oversight. 

It's in a balance. As a master electrician, I have worked in areas with lax oversight. I have seen some amazingly stupid things. 

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Ah yes one of my favourite pieces of art from the Middle Ages. Jesus and Satan arguing at the bowling alley. Beautiful. CLASSICAL ART MEMES facebook.com/clssicalartmemes'

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

May be an image of food and text that says 'When you bake a cherry cobbler and end up with the Necronomicon.'

May be an image of outdoors

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

unique way of delivering fire extingushers around a track. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

How I feel about my wife...

 

 

Her cover is kind of slow and soulful, I like it. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a very interesting turn of events 🤔

In 2010, Daimler and Nissan entered a strategic agreement to co R&D for future auto development and this included a substantial investment by each company in each other via stock purchases. They say this will remain in place and yet Nissan has sold their complete stake in Daimler of 16,448,378 shares or 1.54% of Daimlers outstanding shares to a tune of 1,149 Billion Euro's worth or 1,397 Billion US.

Nissan says that at this time, the full proceeds will be used to promote and develop electrification of their auto portfolio. Nissan has stated that the agreement for future collaboration will stay in place between the two companies.

The interesting part is that they make no statement about using Daimlers EV platform, batteries or any other tech from Daimler. Instead it appears Nissan will strike out on their own for their own R&D of electrification.

Nissan sells its entire stake in Daimler (nissannews.com)

🤔 This does make one wonder about the tagline of "The Best or Nothing" when your partner decides to unload a hefty investment in your company and to expand their own R&D to build additional BEV auto's.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Quoted for Truth on Cars!

image.png

And your choice is?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

image.png

Too Funny!!!

image.png

Love this, I would so take a Road Runner any day over the butt ugly Bugatti

image.png

The PERFECET MEME for @balthazar

image.png

The dream of dreams for @oldshurst442

image.png

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

H'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

🤔

Is this a reason to move to Ontario??????????????????????????????????

image.png

This is too funny!!!

image.png

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

At the heart of every red blooded man! :P

image.png

 

A PERFECT GENERIFICATION of Cars!

image.png

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, David said:

H'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

🤔

Is this a reason to move to Ontario??????????????????????????????????

image.png

This is too funny!!!

image.png

Sadly a total loss. Cool and funny though. 

image.png

 

Too funny. 

They had a lot of fun making this. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the August issue of Collectible Automobile in the mail today, was reading an article about the ‘78-80 Grand Prix, and came up this photo—caption says for 1979, the Rally IV wheel option replaced the Rally II wheel option.  First I’ve ever heard of or seen these wheels…

 

4783B7A4-D186-4EB7-A774-A4ED00EE524C.jpeg

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

^ They weren't around long, but I remember seeing them.

EDIT :: Had to check first but apparently my recollection was correct; there was no 'Rallye III' for some reason.

Pontiac was amazingly prolific with the styled rims.

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Googling turns up pics of ‘80 & 81 GPs with those wheels, not sure if they were available on other Pontiac’s then.  The Rally IIs made a comeback in the early 80s, seen many ‘81-87 vintage GPs with them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure the R IV was GP / LeMans only. Not on the full-size lines.

Rallye IIs never went away since they came out in '67, up to probably the last RWD A-Body of '87. Long run for a rim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, balthazar said:

Pretty sure the R IV was GP / LeMans only. Not on the full-size lines.

Rallye IIs never went away since they came out in '67, up to probably the last RWD A-Body of '87. Long run for a rim.

Yes, long run.  Similarly for Buick and their Road Wheels, around well into the 80s.  And Olds with the SS II (?). 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, balthazar said:

From an era where so much greatness was created!

 

1 of the 547 built '87 Buick GNX's just sold for $205,000.  Kicker is, that's actually the second-highest price paid for one.

In 1987, only the Porsche 911 Turbo could barely squeeze past a GNX in a 0-60 run, by 1/10th of a second.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/rare-1987-buick-gnx-muscle-car-sold-for-205000 

 

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.21.33 PM.png

Looking Around GIF by 1st Look

Where is the Asian performance auto's at this time of the GNX? 

Where is Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi or VW?

Who says Americans cannot build top performance sedans?

🤔

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, David said:

Where is the Asian performance auto's at this time of the GNX? 

Where is Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi or VW?

Who says Americans cannot build top performance sedans?

Tested: 1987 Buick GNX Exercises Brute Force (caranddriver.com)

"The GNX, with 55 more horses and an additional 25 pounds of mass, rockets to 60 in 4.7 seconds and squirts through the quarter-mile in 13.5 seconds at 102 mph. In zero-to-60 performance, the only car available in the U.S. that matches the Buick is the Callaway Twin-Turbo Corvette, and the only one that beats it is the Porsche 911 Turbo, at 4.6 seconds.

Although the GNX's performance in the drag-race mode is measurably improved, the new suspension pieces do little to help the old sled's handling. At 0.80 g, it has respectable skidpad grip, but no more than the Grand National we tested last year. In the real world, when the road deviates from straight ahead or its surface becomes rougher than a pool table, the GNX rattles and bounces like bolts in a blender. Clearly, the engine and the chassis are in separate leagues. What we have here is a great powerhouse of a motor looking for a nice place to live."

Great straight line muscle car but that's about it.  There were better cars at the day.

BTW converting its 1987 price to today's money, it costs about $70k. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There were better handling cars, but there weren’t better accelerating cars.

While I think the exterior and the powertrain are bad-ass (and you can make this a completely livable 11-sec car for what was $500 in ‘00), I do not like the interior at all and the one ride I had in a GN confirmed that it does rattle like hell... tho that car was then was probably 15 yrs old.

  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ykX said:

Tested: 1987 Buick GNX Exercises Brute Force (caranddriver.com)

"The GNX, with 55 more horses and an additional 25 pounds of mass, rockets to 60 in 4.7 seconds and squirts through the quarter-mile in 13.5 seconds at 102 mph. In zero-to-60 performance, the only car available in the U.S. that matches the Buick is the Callaway Twin-Turbo Corvette, and the only one that beats it is the Porsche 911 Turbo, at 4.6 seconds.

Although the GNX's performance in the drag-race mode is measurably improved, the new suspension pieces do little to help the old sled's handling. At 0.80 g, it has respectable skidpad grip, but no more than the Grand National we tested last year. In the real world, when the road deviates from straight ahead or its surface becomes rougher than a pool table, the GNX rattles and bounces like bolts in a blender. Clearly, the engine and the chassis are in separate leagues. What we have here is a great powerhouse of a motor looking for a nice place to live."

Great straight line muscle car but that's about it.  There were better cars at the day.

BTW converting its 1987 price to today's money, it costs about $70k. 

And not one person who wants or has a GNX gives two s**** about the handling and not for nothing, but outside of true sports cars like the Vette and 911, there wasn’t another sedan (which is clearly what David was referring to) that could touch it. The Germans and Japanese didn’t have a damn thing that compared with the GNX. It was the rare bright spot in an otherwise horrible decade for cars, especially domestics. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, surreal1272 said:

there wasn’t another sedan (which is clearly what David was referring to) that could touch it in a straight line.

Here I fixed for you.

David was talking about German and Asian performance auto.  He didn't specify straight line or handling or whatever, so I interpreter this as a package.  There were plenty of performance cars at the era that while were slower in a straight line were better in every other way. 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, ykX said:

Here I fixed for you.

David was talking about German and Asian performance auto.  He didn't specify straight line or handling or whatever, so I interpreter this as a package.  There were plenty of performance cars at the era that while were slower in a straight line were better in every other way. 

You didn’t fix anything. Common sense would tell you that by “performance auto”, he was referring to sedans. Name the sedans (in the same class and provide range as the GNX) from the companies HE mentioned that were so much better overall that it diminishes what he was saying about the GNX. I know you have lofty standards and love to point that out but it is ridiculous to take something he said (as a generalization) and just post some instant defensiveness that has nothing to do with anything.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...