'16 Miata Reviews are Coming!!!

Thed

I'm still curious if they're being coy about the power rating. I heard they reworked the 2.0L engine hardware for higher revs specifically for the MX-5, so how can it possibly make the same power as a Mazda 3? Either Scott Evans or Christian over at MT specifically told me they had confirmed engine output, but I'm still incredulous. Simply from a marketing standpoint, 155 hp is really lackluster.

I'm still curious if they're being coy about the power rating. I heard they reworked the 2.0L engine hardware for higher revs specifically for the MX-5, so how can it possibly make the same power as a Mazda 3? Either Scott Evans or Christian over at MT specifically told me they had confirmed engine output, but I'm still incredulous. Simply from a marketing standpoint, 155 hp is really lackluster.

I honestly don't understand why everyone thinks that a 2.0L needs to be ~200 HP. That's 100 HP/L... While I don't think that decreasing power was the wisest move, I still think 155 HP will be fine in this car when you consider its much broader power band (this new 2.0L makes more HP than the old 2.0L MZR did under 6000 RPM) and increasesd torque it will benefit the new Miata, which only weighs 2LBS more than a 1994 Miata, a peppy little car. I do honestly believe that it will accelerate faster than the old Miata. Not by much, but still. 

Other engines with less than 100HP/L:

LS7: 72.1

RoadRunner: 88.8

New LT1: 72.6

Pentastar V6: 80.6

2.0L in the Focus: 80

Honda "EarthDreams" V6: 79.4

Civic Si 2.4L: 85.4

New Miata 2.0L: 77.5

It was harder to think of naturally aspirated modern engines than you think. 

Both the GM engines you threw in there are pushrods, not power dense per liter but more compact in size and lower weight than equivalent DOHC. The new LGX V6 is over 92 hp/L without revving to 7000 rpm. The old Civic Si 2.0L was 98 hp/L. Even the newer 2.4L model shows how limp 155 hp would be in the Miata.

But that's all beside the point, which is that it doesn't makes sense that they reworked the engine the way they did and only wound up with the same hp rating. That's strange. If I spend a couple grand doing a top-end rebuild of my engine to hit 7500+ rpm and came away with the same horsepower I'd be really confused and disappointed.

Both the GM engines you threw in there are pushrods, not power dense per liter but more compact in size and lower weight than equivalent DOHC. The new LGX V6 is over 92 hp/L without revving to 7000 rpm. The old Civic Si 2.0L was 98 hp/L. Even the newer 2.4L model shows how limp 155 hp would be in the Miata.

But that's all beside the point, which is that it doesn't makes sense that they reworked the engine the way they did and only wound up with the same hp rating. That's strange. If I spend a couple grand doing a top-end rebuild of my engine to hit 7500+ rpm and came away with the same horsepower I'd be really confused and disappointed.

Honestly, it's in the cam. More specifically the intake cam. Ever wonder how Mazda's latest offerings have been getting awesome real-world MPG? 

Simple. SkyActive = Atkinson cycle + DI + high compression. They chose better MPG over more power just by using the Atkinson cycle alone. It's how the Ford's and Toyota's, among others, hybrid engines run. Basically on the compression stroke the intake valve will open again to bleed off some of the compressed air. This sacrifices power, but makes the engine more efficient. 

I quoted the pushrod engines for a reason. A liter is a liter in my eyes. The combustion chamber is the same size, the only difference is how much air can be packed ito it via that valve train. Being a pushrod engine should not be an excuse. By the way, the Coyote is over 20 LBS lighter than the LT1, dressed.

LT1 weight: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/chevrolet-introduces-the-all-new-lt1-v8-engine-for-the-c7-corvette-ar136830.html

Coyote Weight: http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/tech-qa/1503-whats-the-weight-difference-between-a-5-0l-and-aluminator-coyote/

Except for the Mazdaspeed version from a few years back Miatas have never been about straight-line speed. If they keep the price comfortably in the 20s and the 0-60 in the sixes all will be well. Except for the headlights and taillights.

Honestly, it's in the cam. More specifically the intake cam. Ever wonder how Mazda's latest offerings have been getting awesome real-world MPG? 

Simple. SkyActive = Atkinson cycle + DI + high compression. They chose better MPG over more power just by using the Atkinson cycle alone. It's how the Ford's and Toyota's, among others, hybrid engines run. Basically on the compression stroke the intake valve will open again to bleed off some of the compressed air. This sacrifices power, but makes the engine more efficient. 

I quoted the pushrod engines for a reason. A liter is a liter in my eyes. The combustion chamber is the same size, the only difference is how much air can be packed ito it via that valve train. Being a pushrod engine should not be an excuse. By the way, the Coyote is over 20 LBS lighter than the LT1, dressed.

LT1 weight: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/chevrolet-introduces-the-all-new-lt1-v8-engine-for-the-c7-corvette-ar136830.html

Coyote Weight: http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/tech-qa/1503-whats-the-weight-difference-between-a-5-0l-and-aluminator-coyote/

An LS3 is more equivalent to a 5.0L in technology, power, and fuel economy. It's 30-40 lbs lighter than a Coyote. The LT1 gained weight primarily due to direct injection and cylinder deactivation hardware, neither of which are used in the Ford V8. Of course, then there's the fact that the LT1 is significantly more powerful than the 5.0L and more efficient too.

Power per Liter is only relevant when the engines are of similar design.

Power per Liter is only relevant when the engines are of similar design.

Agree to disagree. This is a discussion for a different thread.

In other news, I called it!!! New Miata was faster than the old one! I honestly wasn't expecting it to be sub six seconds, though!

Holy crap C&D, the worst magazine for "real-world" MPG, got 32 MPG average while they were testing it. 

That is impressive. 0-60 in under six seconds, in one of the best driver's cars ever, and managges to get over 30 MPG. How can this little bugger get any better? 

Edited by Thed

Italian styling, maybe-but that's about it. I'm extremely impressed by the test results I've read. They got the price right, then overachieved on the performance. The mileage... well, it's nice to see, and while it is impressive Mazda has no need to shove it down the public's collective throats. The car is strong enough to stand on it's own merits.