New Corsa Uncovered

Should Saturn sell the new Corsa?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Should Saturn sell the new Corsa?

• No way, Americans don't want cars this small.
    • Not for me, but plenty of other people would.
    • I'd buy it, but I don't know how many other people would.
    • Sweeeet!!! Wipes the floor with Yaris and Fit and throws them in the bin. Do it!!!

Latest spy photos from Lehmann Photo Syndication and Photographe Ewans-Kelly reveal almost all details of the near-to-production X4400 Corsa. Abandoning the Opel Junior-inspired design of the last two generations, the new Corsa looks very much like a smaller Astra in both 3- and 5-door forms, and shares much of its under-skin components and systems with the popular Fiat Grande Punto.

Go to spyshots of the 5-door at German Car Fans

Go to spyshots of the 3-door at cars-prototypes

Substantially bigger than the Yaris and the shoulder-pad–wearing Fit, so much more stylish than the Korean twins (Rio and Accent), the new Corsa has everything it takes to dominate the small-car segment in North America (especially with a probable 180 hp turbo version). Is GM ignoring a potential hit by not bringing the Corsa to the US? Scion xA sales are continuing to rise, Yaris sold over 6000 in April, and even the expensive Aerio is up 50% this year. With the Aveo showing its age against newer entries, does GM need a fresh new entry, or is demand for small compacts not strong enough?

I say bring it here, with a gas-sipper gas engine, a little torque-monster diesel, and the turbo. As the smallest Saturn, and with that range of engines, it stands a good chance of doing well.

It's a great looking car. Just put in an engine that gets great gas mileage and bringing over is a no brainger. The Aveo is GM's only subcompact. That's ridiculous for a company with 8 divisions. Imagine Saturn with this car, the Astra and a new VUE. GM could have a division where all of its cars are actually competitive.

I like it a lot, especially the 3 door.

Even though it is small, it doesn't have the 'roller skate' look that many small cars have with those tiny wheels.

This would fit into GM's portfolio nicely. Yes there is the redesigned Aveo in this category, but the Aveo doesn't traditionally get good gas mileage compared to other cars in it's segment. Also, it appears the Aveo will no longer be offered in a 3 door hatch. Finally, you could give this opel based on to Saturn....it would allow more than one division to have a small, economy, entry level product....that is not a total rebadge.

The Aveo is an honorable first attempt, but it's real world fuel mileage is disappointing. A higher performance subcompact like the Corsa would be a huge seller north of the border and I think would do well in the States.

Does anybody here think America won't be seeing $4.50 gas before long? China is going to need another Saudi Arabia if it achieves HALF the per capita fuel consumption as the U.S.

Where is that oil going to come from?

The Aveo is an honorable first attempt, but it's real world fuel mileage is disappointing.  A higher performance subcompact like the Corsa would be a huge seller north of the border and I think would do well in the States.

Does anybody here think America won't be seeing $4.50 gas before long?  China is going to need another Saudi Arabia if it achieves HALF the per capita fuel consumption as the U.S.

Where is that oil going to come from?

Kazakhstan

I like the looks of that, a lot. It's really piss-poor cammo though, you can still read "Corsa" underneath the tape.

I think It'd do very well in the NA market if the Yaris and Fit sell well. I would wait a while though to see what their reception would be.

What platform is that based on? It looks kind of Delta-ish to me.

This would be the perfect entry-level Saturn. Saturn would greatly benefit by having this, the next Astra, and then the Aura above them. It looks good, is economical, and would give Saturn something to sell before the ION replacement arrives.

Bring it over GM!

Ravenfreak... how old are you, sir? "Corsica" certainly never entered my mind in connection with this car... but, Corvair Corsa certainly did, and that was a much cooler car than this little guy.

I wonder if a convertible is in the works... it could be a Corsa Spyder. :)

Except for being too tall and ugly, I think it should definitely come here! In other words, it'll fit right in with the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, and the less-ugly Toyota Yaris (in other words, its small but really not that small). I'm not wild about it, mostly the styling and the probably-cheap Opel/Vauxhall standard-fare interior, but GM should send it here as say, the Saturn Signal?

Kazakhstan

Somebody's been reading the A-section again. Four high Bush administration officials (Cheney's the most recent) have visited Kazakhstan this year. I wish they'd put this type of attention/focus on domestic policies. Anyways, back to the Corsa:

Bring it. Fast. Having it under the Saturn umbrella would give GM a more 'relevent' entry to the small-car market & in a way that could legitimately pull customers from an import brand. I don't think it would pull sales from the Chevy-value Aveo market.. I think they could co-exist just fine. Let's not forget that CAFE standards rising and that another small car certainly wouldn't hurt GM's CAFE numbers. Let's see: improved image, some conquest sales, better CAFE numbers, on a vehicle whose engineering and assembly build-out costs you've already absorbed.

Yes the 3 door is the winner and it clud compete with the mini if equiped to the hilt. I think the name should be kept. This will aid in the quality perception and give the auto mag guys something to write about that they understand. I wonder if Saturn should pass on the Astra and go with the smaller corsa only? The dealerships are going to be crowded iwth all these different entries and more importantly a car this small may seem more aspirational than an ION replacement sized vehicle. Compacts have mostlyu been low cost transportation alternatives. Comments?

Compacts have mostlyu been low cost transportation alternatives

True, but people are beginning to demand more. Look at that new Nissan Versa. It offers Bluetooth, Leather Interior... even though only a couple years ago compacts still had manual roll up windows...

The small car class was also basic, but it grew up too. Now you can get Mazda3's with Navigation...

With gas prices, while still cheap, rising, the "premium" compact category can only go up. There are plenty of people looking for a car that is miserly on fuel, but also has options comparable to some luxury cars.

remindes me of an Xa, but smaller...?    could be an aveo alternative if they're close.

Bigger, substantially bigger.

A/B-segment        wheelbase  length      width      height     front and rear track
Toyota Vitz        2460 96.9  3750 147.6  1695 66.7  1520 59.8  1480 58.3  1470 57.9
Toyota Yaris       2460 96.9  3810 150.0  1695 66.7  1525 60.0  1480 58.3  1470 57.9
B/C-segment
Honda Fit          2450 96.5  3845 151.4  1675 65.9  1525 60.0  1455 57.3  1445 56.9
Chevrolet Aveo     2480 97.6  3880 152.8  1670 65.7  1495 58.9  1450 57.1  1410 55.5
Scion xA           2370 93.3  3915 154.1  1695 66.7  1530 60.2  1455 57.3  1430 56.3
Kia Rio            2500 98.4  3990 157.1  1695 66.7  1470 57.9  1470 57.9  1460 57.5
Honda Fit (US)     2450 96.5  3998 157.4  1681 66.2  1525 60.0  1455 57.3  1450 57.1
Fiat Grande Punto  2510 98.8  4030 158.7  1687 66.4  1490 58.7  1473 58.0  1466 57.7
Hyundai Accent 3dr 2500 98.4  4045 159.3  1695 66.7  1470 57.9  1470 57.9  1460 57.5
E10 Toyota Corolla 2465 97.0  4095 161.2  1685 66.3  1380 54.3  1460 57.5  1450 57.1
Suzuki SX4 (wagon) 2500 98.4  4100 161.4  1730 68.1  1565 61.6  1495 58.9  1495 58.9
C/D-segment
VW Golf            2578 101.5 4204 165.5  1759 69.3  1479 58.2  1540 60.6  1518 59.8
Nissan Tiida       2600 102.4 4205 165.6  1695 66.7  1535 60.4  1480 58.3  1485 58.5
Opel Astra         2614 102.9 4249 167.3  1753 69.0  1460 57.5  1488 58.6  1488 58.6
Opel Astra GTC     2614 102.9 4290 168.9  1753 69.0  1435 56.5  1488 58.6  1488 58.6
Suzuki Reno        2600 102.4 4295 169.1  1725 67.9  1445 56.9  1480 58.3  1480 58.3
Nissan Versa       2600 102.4 4295 169.1  1695 66.7  1535 60.4  1480 58.3  1485 58.5

Note that the Versa, Yaris and the US Fit simply have the equivalent of a bodykit to meet US crash standards, they aren't really any bigger than the equivalent Vitz, Tiida and Japanese Fit. For completeness I've included the SX4 even though it is somewhere between a wagon and a standard hatch. The Scion xA has cosmetic changes that put it between the standard Toyota ist and the bodykitted ist S in overall size. The E10 Corolla is the '92 model, the 3rd generation with fwd (the current is the E12/E13). The upcoming Corsa will be similar in size to the Fiat Grande Punto, although official specs aren't yet available.

Edited by thegriffon

I guess I am the only person who does not want this brought over? It is either too bland in regards to the direction Saturn wants to go, even though the Aura is, also, or the styling some how does not fit. The back end looks like a Chinese Versa ripoff. At least this yields more clues as to the next-gen VUE's rear end styling.

I guess I am the only person who does not want this brought over?  It is either too bland in regards to the direction Saturn wants to go, even though the Aura is, also, or the styling some how does not fit.  The back end looks like a Chinese Versa ripoff.  At least this yields more clues as to the next-gen VUE's rear end styling.

Maybe 'cause it's white on wheelcovers without any trim.

The Punto on which the new Corsa is based got a 5-star E-NCAP rating, btw, and ESP is available:

http://www.euroncap.com/images/results/sup...tasheet%202.pdf

62.8 mpg (even if it is Imperial gallons) is impressive and needed!

Expect about 60 mpg (US) in the highway cycle. You can expect a lot more variation in the urban cycle. Curiously the 90 hp 1.25 L uses less fuel than the 75 hp. The new Corsa is much bigger than the old model and uses completely different gasoline engines, so further comparisons are difficult. I would probably go with the 1.4 with Easytronic manual for economy, the 1.6 as standard volume model and two performance models, the 140 hp 1.8 as top trim model, and the 180 hp turbo as a Redline in the 3-door.

It would be the perfect Saturn to help GM improve it's gas mileage image (not reality mind you, just image).

yes, yes, yes!!! :pbjtime: the ad copy would show it sipping at the fuel pump as would a hummingbird at a flower. :ohyeah:

Expect about 60 mpg (US) in the highway cycle. You can expect a lot more variation in the urban cycle. Curiously the 90 hp 1.25 L uses less fuel than the 75 hp. The new Corsa is much bigger than the old model and uses completely different gasoline engines, so further comparisons are difficult. I would probably go with the 1.4 with Easytronic manual for economy, the 1.6 as standard volume model and two performance models, the 140 hp 1.8 as top trim model, and the 180 hp turbo as a Redline in the 3-door.

Sounds good to me. Personally I would rather have an Astra, but I could see the Corsa being a big seller. It will be GMs first cheap car that doesn't look cheap, in the US.

The 1.25 L TDCi gets 60 mpg hwy, the 1.4 gasoline would get maybe 45 mpg hwy with the 5-speed manual. Personally with the older less efficient 1.4 I have gotten at least 34 mpg combined, with quite aggressive driving.

Any idea on what the weight would be? It sounds like it would be a very fun car with the 180hp turbo engine.

I wouldn't be averse to a car in this segment from Saturn, but something about this particular design just looks a little off. If only I could put my finger on it . . .

it looks kinda like a small mercedes...

By George, that's it! It looks Opel just squished an Astra and replaced all the design cues that made it look like an Opel with rejects from the Mercedes parts bin.

I think it looks good. It would allow GMNA to have a legitimate sub-compact vehicle other then the Aveo. Of course, it would sell in limited numbers but if it were built as is in the states, I'm sure people would buy it. Especially those who are looking for excellent fuel-economy and good looks. Something that the sub-compact category is lacking in North America.