Motorweek: 2001 Lincoln Blackwood roadtest

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

That truck really launched the luxury truck segment, imho.

Ford missed an opportunity to capitalize on it.

I am glad they kept the pickups under the Ford brand, and instead put premium trim on them.  I prefer that to seeing a lightly rebadged F-150 in a Lincoln showroom.

Lincoln made two grave, yet absurd mistakes with the Blackwood - The "trunk" bed that couldn't be used as a real truck bed... and no option of 4wd.

Had they done it right, there might be a very different conversation happening about Lincoln these days. 

• Upvote 1

True on both, who wants a RWD only truck, and the trunk was dumb.  Basically they made a truck version of the Town Car.  The Navigator interior wasn't very good either, these early luxury SUVs basically had a pick up truck interior with a leather/wood steering wheel and heated leather seats.

Lincoln made two grave, yet absurd mistakes with the Blackwood - The "trunk" bed that couldn't be used as a real truck bed... and no option of 4wd.

Had they done it right, there might be a very different conversation happening about Lincoln these days. 

You could add a 3rd mistake...the bed...In place of paint, the exterior of the bed was covered in a vinyl decal which was meant to look like burled black wood with artificial aluminum pinstripes over it.  Cheap is what message it sent...not luxury.

Oh...there is a 4rth grave mistake 

The Blackwood no matter what Lincoln would do to the Blackwood for it to succeed, the Blackwood was dead on arrival...because...Ford has had a huge success selling Platinum trimmed trucks...all the luxury and image of luxury necessary for FoMoCo trucks already was sold through F150s and F-250s with  Platinum trims...

Lincoln continues to be plagued by this as Ford continues to be wildly successful with Platinum and Titanium trim on the Ford models versus Lincoln.

The trunk bed was the coolest thing to me.. when I was 11 or 12. I can see now why it was bad.

You could say that about the LS sedans and Mark VIII as well, to say nothing of the original Navigator. So many lost opportunities for Lincoln over the decades.

You could add a 3rd mistake...the bed...In place of paint, the exterior of the bed was covered in a vinyl decal which was meant to look like burled black wood with artificial aluminum pinstripes over it.  Cheap is what message it sent...not luxury.

The Blackwood no matter what Lincoln would do to the Blackwood for it to succeed, the Blackwood was dead on arrival...because...Ford has had a huge success selling Platinum trimmed trucks...all the luxury and image of luxury necessary for FoMoCo trucks already was sold through F150s and F-250s with  Platinum trims...

Lincoln continues to be plagued by this as Ford continues to be wildly successful with Platinum and Titanium trim on the Ford models versus Lincoln.

Ford did not offer Platinum and Titanium models when Blackwood was available.

And Ford wisely, imho, eliminates the need for costly redundant lessor luxury brands by offering them all in one brand.

I made the mistake by looking at the response as a guest....

However...I think the answer someone is looking for is in this link:

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/news/plat_f250.html

Oh...and this:

Ford-SVT-Lightning-silver-frost-2001-01E

If someone wanted a truck from FoMoCo that did not care about how useful the bed was for hauling crap. This ride just plainly hauled ass...and that was another death knell for the Blackwood.

Cadillac did the Luxury truck thing RIGHT and they should still be selling them.

One thing I loved on the Blackwood and wish they had it as an option as I suspect many people would love the ease of access is the tailgate!

post-12-0-85619400-1433353043_thumb.jpg

I wish GM would bring back the swing up rear glass and Mini stagecoach doors for the full size SUV line. I think this would be a hit on Suburban, Yukon and Escalade.

And Ford wisely, imho, eliminates the need for costly redundant lessor luxury brands by offering them all in one brand.

You're right. The just had other upper trim versions, like the King Ranch edition, that were far better than their "luxury" version of a pick up. 

You're right. The just had other upper trim versions, like the King Ranch edition, that were far better than their "luxury" version of a pick up. 

I saw his post when I accidentally viewed this thread as a guest...and that is why I answered back...because there is a nice feature in these forums that I use...

But I did post a link to where what I said...well...I was right...

Here it is again...

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/news/plat_f250.html

From the link:

"Louisville, KY, September 20, 2000

Source: Ford Motor Company

Ford Motor Company rolled a new, limited edition Super Duty F-Series pickup off the line today at its Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville. The "Platinum Edition" Super Duty F-250 will commemorate the company's milestone of producing its one millionth Super Duty F-Series since the truck's major redesign for the 1999 model year.

"Producing one million trucks in this segment in just two model years - and sustaining the customer demand for them - is quite an accomplishment," said Bill"