2007 Pontiac G5 (picture)

GM should just bring over the Wave and call it a day.

Don't be so quick to dismiss that one. I'm afraid some of you are in for a nasty surprise come July. :wink:

General Motors is the world's largest automaker and has 8 divisions. Daimler Chrysler has no where near the volume GM has and has 6 brands.

Somewhere, are avocates of consolidation pleading for DCX to reduce their "way too many divisions"?

'DCX brands are much better differentiated than GM's' is a possible response to the above. And I would reply 'instead of eliminating divisions, why not differentiate them better? You know- like they used to be when GM lead the market?'

You know, you would make a more compelling argument if you'd lay off the melodrama once in a while...this is C&G, not some soap opera.

"I'm a tree....I can bend..."

Croc you should know by now your condescending and childish insults don't affect me....

Sorry you have to resort to THAT way too often.....

The real problem is that the Pontiac dealers must be bullying GM to give them what they want and completely ignoring GM's longterm goal of separating the brands.

Once Pontiac/GMC/Buick finally merge, this problem should be remedied.

Hmm...If I pop off the twin kidney grille, will I find a Chevy crossbar under there?

I can deal with this car if it's just a placeholder until a RWD four or five seat coupe/sedan is ready at arond the turn of the decade. Something tels me tha's wishful thinking, though <_<

General Motors is the world's largest automaker and has 8 divisions. Daimler Chrysler has no where near the volume GM has and has 6 brands.

Somewhere, are avocates of consolidation pleading for DCX to reduce their "way too many divisions"?

'DCX brands are much better differentiated than GM's' is a possible response to the above. And I would reply 'instead of eliminating divisions, why not differentiate them better? You know- like they used to be when GM lead the market?'

I would argue that DCX's brands (Smart, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, M-B, Maybach) are far better differentiated with each other (though Dodge & Chrysler have some overlap) than GM's brands..

The Wave's surfacing in July? Okay! Hang on...I'm all for a fuel-efficient sporty Pontiac-BUT NOT ANOTHER CLONE!

Um yeah... as was mentioned, it's on the US Pontiac site now. Here's a direct link to it: Pontiac G5. It include colors, accessories, pictures, and specs. One of the pics is an interior pic.

Posted Image

The new steering whee, and center stack look pretty good...but it looks to gray, at least in that picture...and if those are supposed to be metallic accents...they don't look very metallic. Could just be GM's bad photography.

The G5 has blacked out headlights they should of did that with the G6 for 2007.

I highly doubt that, if you're looking at the colours page. I think it's more of a photoshopping error when they used the desaturate and hue function to create the multiple colours, and they forgot about the corners.

GM designers aren't the best photoshoppers out there you know...

The new steering whee, and center stack look pretty good...but it looks to gray, at least in that picture...and if those are supposed to be metallic accents...they don't look very metallic. Could just be GM's bad photography.

And the radio is still green... sigh... Edited by ToniCipriani

Wow, that interior looks......exactly like my car's. Though I do like the way the new radio looks in the dash. I could definitely use the AUX jack, so I might try my hand at a swap when the '07s come out.

Wow... this is just the car to express one's individuality in a sea of Corrolla's, Civic's and Mazda3's... :lol2:

*Points finger towards Oshawa* GM Canada started this.

Oh thanks... Blame Canada. I don't think Canada should apologize for this at all...

We already apologize whenever Bryan Adams debuts a new album. We apologize every time Celine Dion open's her mouth, and we apolgize whenever you Yank's step on our feet...

...give us a break...

Edited by Captainbooyah

I highly doubt that, if you're looking at the colours page. I think it's more of a photoshopping error when they used the desaturate and hue function to create the multiple colours, and they forgot about the corners.

Yeah, if you look on the solstice GXP minisite, one of the pictures has blacked-out pillars and smoked headlights, while the others don't.

Oh thanks... Blame Canada. I don't think Canada should apologize for this at all...

We already apologize whenever Bryan Adams debuts a new album. We apologize every time Celine Dion open's her mouth, and we apolgize whenever you Yank's step on our feet...

...give us a break...

Pssst....Toni's from Toronto :canada:

No need to apologize for Bryan Adams, but can you please, please, please take back Avril Lavigne? :P

Again, I can't believe they would glance over the fact that the radio illuminates in blue, when it is completely traditional for everything in a Pontiac to be illuminated red. I guess if I looked past the gauges in the GTO, I can look past this.

Pssst....Toni's from Toronto :canada:

No need to apologize for Bryan Adams, but can you please, please,  please take back Avril Lavigne? :P

:AH-HA_wink:

And I'm serious. They were the ones who started it. The Canadian dealers were whining about needing something to compete with the Cobalt when it came out. That's why we got the Pursuit. This whining spreaded to US dealers and now we have the G5.

Much like the case with the Acura Civic... I mean... CSX...

Wow... this is just the car to express one's individuality in a sea of Corrolla's, Civic's and Mazda3's...  :lol2:

...give us a break...

Hey, I like Bryan Adams...

Wow, the steering wheel and new radio makes such a huge difference. The interior looks 10X better than the old Cobalt's.

and 60X better than the Sunfire or Cavalier..

even though i own a 2004 cavalier.. and that steering wheel looks like the same one that is in my 06 G6 GT..

Well, the one thing I still find truly funny is that.. well... look:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Compared to:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I mean, they could have atleast tried. No matter how much better the car may be, it's still too similar. A pop in grill piece, new taillights, and a steering wheel are pathetic changes. GM's worse at rebadging now than it was previously.

Unfair comparo.

You compared the Sunfire GXP to a Cavalier Z24, one production and one isn't.

You compared the 2003+ Sunfire interior to a 2002 Cavalier interior. They made some changes in 2003, and both of them shared more parts, most noticably the steering wheel.

Posted Image

After all the Cobalt wasn't designed to be two cars in the first place, not like the Cavalier/Sunfire twins. The Pontiac version was unexpected.

Edited by ToniCipriani

Well, I don't think it's such a bad thing. Personally, I'd rather have the G5 than the Cobalt. There's only slight differences; however, I'm more fond of the traditional G5 rear end than the Cobalt's. While the interior doesn't have much for differences, I'm attracted to the G5 more.

Unfair comparo.

You compared the Sunfire GXP to a Cavalier Z24, one production and one isn't.

You compared the 2003+ Sunfire interior to a 2002 Cavalier interior. They made some changes in 2003, and both of them shared more parts, most noticably the steering wheel.

Posted Image

After all the Cobalt wasn't designed to be two cars in the first place, not like the Cavalier/Sunfire twins. The Pontiac version was unexpected.

What does it matter? The regular Sunfire doesn't share anything more with the Cavvy than that GXP. Even the foglights are still different. And it's an LS Sport, not a Z24. As for the interior, I know, but that's the first pic I found. Still... it's just a steering wheel. Wow. Big simularity. Earlier Sunfires and Cavvies had different steering wheels as well. Even more sad.

Still, that's no excuse. They still could have atleast tried to differentiate the two whether it was expected or not. The Aura wasn't designed alside the Malibu, yet look at it. Neither would have been the axed Ion replaced, yet look at it. As it is, it's like a Montana SV6: irrelevant, just like just about every other clone. Just dilutes the messege. I mean, damn... how hard would it have been to give it unique front and rear fascias as well as an interior? I'm not asking for a completely different body, just a few notable changes. Because of it being a clone, it's worse than a Sunfire, regardless of how much better the actual car may be, IMO.

What does it matter? The regular Sunfire doesn't share anything more with the Cavvy than that GXP. Even the foglights are still different. And it's an LS Sport, not a Z24. As for the interior, I know, but that's the first pic I found. Still... it's just a steering wheel. Wow. Big simularity. Earlier Sunfires and Cavvies had different steering wheels as well. Even more sad.

Still, that's no excuse. They still could have atleast tried to differentiate the two whether it was expected or not. The Aura wasn't designed alside the Malibu, yet look at it. Neither would have been the axed Ion replaced, yet look at it. As it is, it's like a Montana SV6: irrelevant, just like just about every other clone. Just dilutes the messege. I mean, damn... how hard would it have been to give it unique front and rear fascias as well as an interior? I'm not asking for a completely different body, just a few notable changes. Because of it being a clone, it's worse than a Sunfire, regardless of how much better the actual car may be, IMO.

We call them Z24s here, which is identical to the LS Sport. I know the earlier ones have different parts. They were cut down before the official death of J-body.

You don't get what I'm saying. Aura wasn't even designed together with the Malibu. Same goes for Ion and Cobalt. They were intended different cars from the start.

The Cobalt and the G5, we were told they are the same car.

We call them Z24s here, which is identical to the LS Sport. I know the earlier ones have different parts. They were cut down before the official death of J-body.

You don't get what I'm saying. Aura wasn't even designed together with the Malibu. Same goes for Ion and Cobalt. They were intended different cars from the start.

The Cobalt and the G5, we were told they are the same car.

The Aura wasn't planned from the start.. That's what I'm saying. Neither was the G5. There's no excuse for it no matter what you come up with. All I'm saying is that they could have tried... they didn't have to put out a nearly identical vehicle. Again, no excuse. I mean, I thought GM was supposed to be over with badge engineering, yet, they've gotton only worse. That's what my comparision shows.

The Aura wasn't planned from the start.. That's what I'm saying. Neither was the G5. There's no excuse for it no matter what you come up with. All I'm saying is that they could have tried... they didn't have to put out a nearly identical vehicle. Again, no excuse. I mean, I thought GM was supposed to be over with badge engineering, yet, they've gotton only worse. That's what my comparision shows.

Go back to "General Motors News" section, and look for the article that talks how Pontiac didn't want a Cobalt clone. Measure the time till they announced the G5.