Disappointing car colors - your take on this

Folks:

We've already seen the ordering guides and the new color lists. Surfacing on the horizon for larger cars is a color called Midnight Amethyst Metallic. In reality, it's already here -- on Cobalt, as a minimum. It's interesting, but possibly trendy. It can look somewhat grape-like. It reminds me of the mid-90s Thunderbird color that's purple and reads differently under different light.

I guess I'm pissed because they shortchange us on variants of standard colors or fail to find a good shade of them and then insert trandier colors (this year Amethyst and 2 years ago Fusion Orange Metallic - I have seen NEW 04 and 05 GPs in that color still sitting on lots). Resale is an issue when you have a color that alienates buyers unless you plan to run the car into the ground and that's a moot issue.

Any colors that irk you?

Dear automakers,

Posted Image

This car is not Metallic Shale, Dusk Breeze, Platinum Mist, Medium Granite, Effervescent Steel, Wild Darkstone, Opel Slate, Byzantine Moon, Mountain Night, Evening Twilight, Slatestone Harmony, or any other esoteric euphamism you can come up with.

Its GRAY!!!!!!!

Thank you.

Dear automakers,

Posted Image

This car is not Metallic Shale, Dusk Breeze, Platinum Mist, Medium Granite, Effervescent Steel, Wild Darkstone, Opel Slate, Byzantine Moon, Mountain Night, Evening Twilight, Slatestone Harmony, or any other esoteric euphamism you can come up with.

Its GRAY!!!!!!!

Thank you.

:CG_all: , :lol::ohyeah::thumbsup::yes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I HATE those blah, flat neutral grayish tannish kinda sorta sandy beige colors.

Give me deep, bold, vibrant, prismatic colors that make a statement.

Thanks.

Whatever that offwhite color the Volvo retract has, its not that attractive. Convertibles need to be vibrant, not blase.

I actually appreciate the impact of Fusion Orange Metallic, though. I think the CTS and Grand Prix are a little too 'big' for the color, but GPs don't look that bad with them. Perhaps its 'exciting'.

Dear automakers,

Posted Image

Its GRAY!!!!!!!

Thank you.

It's kinda hard when you've got cars like the 5-series: Silver Gray, Amethyst Gray, Titanium Gray, and Sterling Gray.

The Phaeton has the best, though, like Nocture Aubergine and Waterworld.

The Phaeton has the best, though, like Nocture Aubergine and Waterworld.

Hmmm...the last one is an appropriate color - both were grandiose, expensive failures.

I've seen VW's color chips for the Phaeton. Hillarious. Apassionata. Coucou gray. I guess its tailored for their target audience. Good idea. I want to see a new Jetta in "Like, Green", "Tur...koyse (sp?)??" and "OMG BLUE!"

Whatever that offwhite color the Volvo retract has, its not that attractive. Convertibles need to be vibrant, not blase.

Personally when I drive a convertible, I don't want people pointing and shouting...

And, plus, offwhite is teh roxx0rs!!!~

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hate those light, mixed, and uniquely named colors... Ugh, I prefer bold or deep colors that is clearly a certain color, not being able to be confused with other colors.

Heh. I figured you of all people would be more comfortable with ambiguity.

Oooo... the Harvest Beige Bug looks good, I haven't seen any hardtops that color yet. They have a new green on the Bugs this year, a little more silvery. I like it better than the old green.

The Harvest Beige is most certainly a throwback to the 60's... who hasn't seen an old bug in that color? There were also a lot of red ones similar to the dusky red on the '06s as well, and baby blue... when we gonna see that color on the new Bug? "Vapor" was just too pale, does anyone remember that special edition color? It was the palest blue... everrr. I actually saw a C5 'Vette that color once in Ocean City, MD.

I would like a more upscale, vibrant color palette from GM. Colorado/Canyon comes in some pretty pathetic colors. I still prefer my green to any current color, except maybe Superior Blue, and that's gone for '07, I guess.

Edited by ocnblu

I would like a more upscale, vibrant color palette from GM.

Agreed... if I'm not mistaken, the XLR-V has TWO colors available; the 'Vette has like six. Benz probably has more versions of black than that.

XLR should certainly have a similar "custom color" program to Porsche and BMW, where your car can be custom ordered in any color the customer chooses. It certainly would lend an air of exclusivity to the car.

XLR should certainly have a similar "custom color" program to Porsche and BMW, where your car can be custom ordered in any color the customer chooses.  It certainly would lend an air of exclusivity to the car.

GM probably figures that all XLR-V buyers take their cars to WHIPS or DUB or whatever. :unsure:

Phoenix Yellow exclusive on an M3. It doesn't match the car and looks like duck sh*t, yet people pay extra for it.

Posted Image

vs.

Posted Image

As for others... I guess it really depends on cars. Some cars, smaller ones like Beetles, Aveo hatchbacks and so, should have bright colors. Others, e.g. midsize/large sedans and sport coupes, should have darker and bolder colors.

Edited by ToniCipriani

*chuckles*

I remember one day at work (while I was still at Sears), after a meeting was over, I happened to glance out the window at the parking lot below ... and noticed how "bland" it was ... with various shades of silver, gray, tan, dark blue, dark maroon, etc. ... all colors that "blended" into each other, with only a few standout yellows and deep blues.... That was a sad view, imho :(.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"I wanna drive" ... Trace Adkins ... '(Her Favorite Color Is) Chrome'

Phoenix Yellow exclusive on an M3. It doesn't match the car and looks like duck sh*t, yet people pay extra for it.

Posted Image

I opened this thread knowing someone was going to post Phoenix Yellow... :P

A lot of people hate on Phoenix Yellow. I for one love that color...the same goes for Laguna Seca Blue which a lot of people also seem to hate on as well...

Posted Image

Every automaker always seems to have at least one tint or shade of this tan color. If you spend all that money on a new car, is the first thing you want to scream to the world "I aimed for average and I hit the mark!"???????

Posted Image

I don't have a problem with that tan. This chick I knew growing up described it as "mink." Either way, I think it is subtle and fairly tasteful. I don't think I would opt for it. The tans/golds I don't like are the ones that look like urine samples!

What about grays? Chevrolet had an Impala/MC color about 3 years ago called Cappuccino Frost Metallic that I really liked. I think Mitsubishi has a similar color. I'd own that.

I recently saw an example of one of the worst colors ever: early Neon "M&M" purple (you know, the color that peeled off of most of the cars it was sprayed on).

Damn, but that is an ugly sight. I had taken the Hawk out for a little cruise and stopped for gas when I hear a horn being honked. I looked up to see a couple of young guys giving me the thumbs up for the hawk and they were riding in one of these little purple beasts.

Otherwise:

Tan,gold,champagne...

White

Light blue or green metallic

Yellow

just about any purple: metallic or solid

most light solid colors (M&M) :puke:

Don't you think cappuccino is a little more toward the brown side?  That color reminded me of the frothy head on cocoa or cappuccino, white with a cream/brown cast to it.

No. Not at all. It was clearly in the gray family. It was a warm gray as opposed to a cool gray. In fact, I wondered why the color charts called for it to be blended with the natural interior. It looked terrible. When they teamed it with the gray interior, it looked great. BTW, that color is no longer around. It would have looked good on an MC.

Dear automakers,

Posted Image

Its GRAY!!!!!!!

Thank you.

Okay... good point.

But fair is fair, that makes your "Silver Teal Metallic "

& "Galaxy Silver Metallic" just plain GRAY too. :wink:

Okay... good point.

But fair is fair, that makes your "Silver Teal Metallic "

& "Galaxy Silver Metallic" just plain GRAY too. :wink:

Nice!!! :pokeowned:

On the subject of grays, the Dark Shadow Gray Ford offered on Mustangs was icky, but the Mineral Gray (which was more brown) is absolutely gorgeous. Not all grays are created equal. And yes, I can tell the difference between the two on the road.

Well, I disagree on which family Cappuccino Frost belongs in. The drink is brown, not gray... but ANYHOO... GM has done this beige-to-gray thing before... Pewter was the same way, and the new Silver Birch is another.

i hate the mint greenish color on the new mustangs... it looks awful...

i do hafta agree that certain cars have their colors... for instance... monte carlos should come in nothing but black, white, that new burguny color, and red

my moms cadillac has some weird color on it... forget what its called... its supposed to look white/gold/silver in different light... but alot of times it looks lime green in certain spots...

There's a lot of dislike of minty greens and steel blues. Personally, the right shade of light metallic blue is my favorite color for a car, bar none. Oldsmobile has pulled off some good renditions of these. There was a light metallic green in the 80s, again by Olds, called Light Jadestone Metallic that I loved. It looked great on the Supreme coupe with non-body color alloy wheels.

i hate the mint greenish color on the new mustangs... it looks awful...

i do hafta agree that certain cars have their colors... for instance... monte carlos should come in nothing but black, white, that new burguny color, and red

my moms cadillac has some weird color on it... forget what its called... its supposed to look white/gold/silver in different light... but alot of times it looks lime green in certain spots...

i saw a navy blue monte the other day with silver trim along to bottom and it was hot....i've always been a sucker for blue though