William Maley

BMW News: Debut: 2016 BMW 7-Series

Today, BMW pulled the wraps off the sixth-generation 7-Series. The new version of BMW's flagship includes new tech and less weight.

To our eyes, the 2016 7-Series looks like a larger 3-Series. The front boasts a larger kidney grille and narrow headlights, while towards the back has a short overhang and chrome tailpipes. The U.S. will only get the long-wheelbase version of the 7-Series. Under the skin lies one of the biggest changes to the 7-Series. Like the i3 and i8, the 7-Series uses a new internal structure called Carbon Core. The structure is comprised of carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic and ultra-high-tensile steel. Along with aluminum doors and trunk lid, BMW has been able to cut 190 pounds and maintain a near 50/50 weight balance.

Inside is filled with loads of technology such as the next-generation of BMW's iDrive. The new version includes a touchscreen and a number of 3D sensors that respond to hand motions to provide gesture controls. There is a new heads-up display system and a available tablet-based control system for rear-seat passengers. The 7-Series also gets a number of chauffeur equipment such as reclining rear seat with foot rest via the optional Rear Executive Lounge Seating Package.

The 7-Series will also have the option of BMW's display key. The company doesn't explain much about the key, but judging by the name, we expect it to show information about the vehicle.

For the U.S., the 7-Series will have two engines at launch. The 740i comes with turbocharged 3.0L inline-six with 320 horsepower and 330 pound-feet of torque. The 750i xDrive gets a twin-turbo 4.4L V8 with 445 horsepower and 480 pound-feet of torque. Both models get an eight-speed automatic.

Following those models will be the 740e xDrive. This is a plug-in hybrid model which pairs a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder and electric motor. No output numbers are listed, but there BMW does say the model should travel up to 23 miles on electric power alone.

The 7-Series will be hitting dealers in the summer with pricing starting at $81,400.

Source: BMW

2016 BMW 740e 1
Album: 2016 BMW 7-Series
17 images
0 comments

Press Release is on Page 2

Click here to view the article

The Sky Lounge LED Roof feature sounds cool.  They copied the S-class' cabin fragrance idea, so now everyone will follow.

Overall it looks more aggressive and meaner, looks sportier.  It is improved on the outside, but the old car was boring.  The interior looks the same.  I see they did a lot a leather, nice stitching, the LED ambient lighting (another S-class trait), looks well made, but looks boring.

Where is the V12?  The I-6 and V8 make the same power as before, that 4 cylinder hybrid will be weak.  I think they are optimistic on their 4.3 second 0-60 run for the V8 model because the S550 is more powerful and does it in 4.8.  Unless the gearing is ridiculously tight on the 750i, because they didn't lose that much weight.

It does have a standard panoramic roof, those are heavier than a normal roof.

I hate when they say things like cut 190 lbs.  Tell me what the car weighs now in actual numbers.   There are so many variables that could go into play.  A car company could replace a V6 with a 4 cylinder and claim weight savings without really doing anything.

The Sky Lounge LED Roof feature sounds cool.  They copied the S-class' cabin fragrance idea, so now everyone will follow.

Overall it looks more aggressive and meaner, looks sportier.  It is improved on the outside, but the old car was boring.  The interior looks the same.  I see they did a lot a leather, nice stitching, the LED ambient lighting (another S-class trait), looks well made, but looks boring.

Where is the V12?  The I-6 and V8 make the same power as before, that 4 cylinder hybrid will be weak.  I think they are optimistic on their 4.3 second 0-60 run for the V8 model because the S550 is more powerful and does it in 4.8.  Unless the gearing is ridiculously tight on the 750i, because they didn't lose that much weight.

I assume the V12 will come at a later date or there is no V12.

Well it does tell me that they aren't going to beat the CT6 in weight... not by a longshot. 

I think the only people who care about that aspect are Cadillac fans.. because whoever buys a 7 Series wants the car for what it is.. not for how much it weighs.

Well it does tell me that they aren't going to beat the CT6 in weight... not by a longshot. 

I think the only people who care about that aspect are Cadillac fans.. because whoever buys a 7 Series wants the car for what it is.. not for how much it weighs.

What it weighs has a direct effect on how it performs.   The CT6 has a 600+ lb advantage over the 740i.  That means all of the various engines Cadillac will be putting in the CT6 will have that much less work to perform to move the car. That means better cornering and handling. 

I like it.  I think the details make i the best looking 7 in a long time.

What it weighs has a direct effect on how it performs.   The CT6 has a 600+ lb advantage over the 740i.  That means all of the various engines Cadillac will be putting in the CT6 will have that much less work to perform to move the car. That means better cornering and handling. 

While you are correct. I think I said it in a different thread it all comes down to how well they tune the suspension. It could weigh 2000lbs and still drive like crap, it would weigh 6000lbs and drive like crap. And that is why I don't think weight matters much "In this class" of cars. They are large cars.. the vast majority will not be taking them to their nearest road course or canon but they will want a superb ride for sure.  No argument whatsoever on the acceleration advantages, and with that comes mpg as well. I completely understand that part for the manufacturer..again most people buying a 70k car aren't the most concerned over 1mpg.  But they will want it to accelerate hard when they demand it.

While you are correct. I think I said it in a different thread it all comes down to how well they tune the suspension. It could weigh 2000lbs and still drive like crap, it would weigh 6000lbs and drive like crap. And that is why I don't think weight matters much "In this class" of cars. They are large cars.. the vast majority will not be taking them to their nearest road course or canon but they will want a superb ride for sure.  No argument whatsoever on the acceleration advantages, and with that comes mpg as well. I completely understand that part for the manufacturer..again most people buying a 70k car aren't the most concerned over 1mpg.  But they will want it to accelerate hard when they demand it.

It just means that Cadillac can tune a softer ride and not have the car lean over in corners.  It means that 400 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque go a lot further, faster, in the CT6.  It means a 500ish horsepower TTV8 will go even further still.   It means a few more miles of electric propulsion on the plug-in models. It means longer driving ranges on the diesel models (and I'd argue the diesel buyers would be concerned, otherwise they'd buy a gasser).

Cadillac has been really good at tuning their suspensions for a few years now, that's not one of the areas where they get complaints... so I'm not too concerned there.

And it looks like.....every other car on the road.  This is why I have never cared for BMW or MB, no personality in their cars looks-wise.  I'm sure some will like the new interior and tech features, and I don't see anything wrong with them, there just isn't anything there that I would ever use.  These are definitely not the cars for me, but they have their audience and I'm sure they will continue to sell.  I think they tend to sell well above the amounts and prices that the vehicles themselves might justify, but the name pushes those sales right up anyway.  If I was shopping in this market I would look towards Cadillac, Audi, even Lexus or Acura long before I'd look at this car.

It's an improvement. *sound of crickets* ...Yeah, that's probably the nicest thing I can say.

It's just a bit uninspired. Okay, more than a bit... It's very uninspiring. The weight savings is meager. The carry-over power-train isn't terrible, but still re-used. The interior is boring, though, at least it seems to pack a fair bit of tech and a bunch of Mercedes-esque details, for better or worse. And the styling, much like CT6, is a bigger, watered down version of the same design on the rest of their line-up. One thing Mercedes seems to get is the trickle-down styling whereas you style your lower-rung models after the flagship. BMW (and Cadillac, Audi) seem to style their flagship after their price-leaders. Why? I guess, at the end of the day, they all look the same regardless... Though, it still bugs me. 

it may seem strange, but i see hints of the Lincoln MKs in the greenhouse and flow into the rear quarter and trunk.  Then, from other angles i see a hint of last gen Hyundai Genesis or one of those molten Infinitis that no one buys.  Then from the rear at some pics just a hint of Accord.  

It actually looks better than I expected, but it still is not stunning.  I think the CT6 will hold up pretty well in the exterior styling standoff.  Overall I think the CT6 looks leaner.  Its less expensive too.

The badge shoppers will like this enough, I don't see Caddy stealing sales from the new 7, but overall the interest in the class of car should draw some new attention Caddy's way, and i think it will represent itself well.

I didn't read anything in the press release about autonomous drive capability.  Hard for them to claim they are high tech without that.

Actually, the people who care are about this are enthusiasts. The people who will be wowed by the difference in weight of a 3600 lb 204 inch luxo barge are the actual people that Cadillac is able to give drives in their CT6 vs the 7series. 

As always I love how U assume that U kno the minds of luxury buyers without being a luxury buyer. 

That being said... 

the engine line up is a 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 producing 445 hp and 480 lb-ft for the 750i xDrive, while the 740i uses a 320-hp, 3.0-liter turbocharged I6. The CT6 will employ a 400 hp (most likely more by time of production) 400 lb-ft for the Platinum and a 335HP 3.6L NA V6 for the base model. Considering the minimum 4100-4900lbs the 7series will now lug around I think if physics and truth gave anything to do with it the Cadillac will be on top. 

The luxury of it is where the proof will be with either. I've driven and ridden in the current 7series always feeling like they were nice, but easily conquered. The look of the car is bland.. still.. and while the CT6 looks like a beefed up version of the CTS.. which IMO is gorgeous.. this new 7series looks like a beefed up version of a car further down the ladder. Not the 5 series.. but the 3. Interior??? That remains to be seen. We got a look at a pre-production interior for the CT6.. I was impressed. 

I think McKayla is mosly unimpressed by the look of the new 7 Series rather than 0-60 times of a  BASE Cadillac.

She may be a gymnist.. but.I have a feeling she is not of the fast car crowd. I could be wrong. She is a gymnist and maybe an adrenaline junky....Id like to think that she is like any other human being though...viewing cars on how they look instead of how fast they drive.  With that being said...this new 7 Series is rather boring...and like Casa said...it looks like Rick Moranis blew up the 3 Series...

Honey_I_blew_up_the_kid_film_poster.jpg

I was just googling the 7 Series....in another thread I said the E38 7 Series has no personality...I was NOT kidding.

Actually...every single 7 Series ever made has no personality. Including this new one.

The only one that had some sort of charisma...well...it had a big 'ol Bangle butt. One that many a car manufacturer copied...so that would be the ONLY positive that BMW has had with their history of the 7 Series.

Same for the Audi A8... pretty bland personality... I do prefer the Audi A8 over the 7 Series by a long shot...but Ronin might have something to do with that.

The champion for me in this category would be the Mercedes S Class...for now. Cadillac is a-coming. And I cant wait. However...this new S-Class is just sublime.  Fit for a king. Or a dictator.

2014-mercedes-benz-s-class-456x300.jpg

Edited by oldshurst442