NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1984 Ford LTD promotional video( not Crown Victoria)

I love how they always show these cars outside of a large house.  As if someone living in a mansion is looking at a Ford or Chevy or Dodge, because they all did it in these 80s videos.

I love the advanced technology like door map pockets and column mounted turn signal and windshield wiper controls, wow!

I love how they always show these cars outside of a large house.  As if someone living in a mansion is looking at a Ford or Chevy or Dodge, because they all did it in these 80s videos.

I love the advanced technology like door map pockets and column mounted turn signal and windshield wiper controls, wow!

Actually a lot of those people in Big houses are buying Fords, Chevies, and Dodges..............

Were they in the 80s?  A common theme of the 80s promotional vehicle films is showing the luxury lifestyle, big houses, fancy clothes, 80s excess at its finest, and then a Chevy Celebrity Eurosport or something like that parked on the governor's driveway. 

Were they in the 80s?  A common theme of the 80s promotional vehicle films is showing the luxury lifestyle, big houses, fancy clothes, 80s excess at its finest, and then a Chevy Celebrity Eurosport or something like that parked on the governor's driveway. 

"Come on kids! Pile into the Chevette! We're going yachting!"

"Come on kids! Pile into the Reliant! We're meeting Muffy for Polo"

"Billy! Did you get your Fencing gear out of the back of the Eagle?"

As you can see here, Monte Carlo drivers have large yachts to tow.  While Celebrity drivers have boat trailers with two axles, and whatever that Ford/Mercury coupe is for lower class rich people that only have single axle boat trailers.

1984-chevrolet-celebrity5.jpg

These were interesting derivatives of the Fairmont, although they were only about as roomy as a new Dodge Dart. A good placeholder until the Taurus was ready, and there was a V8 version - LTD LX. Had Panther sales not started to increase around 1982, these would have replaced the Panthers. 

As you can see here, Monte Carlo drivers have large yachts to tow. While Celebrity drivers have boat trailers with two axles, and whatever that Ford/Mercury coupe is for lower class rich people that only have single axle boat trailers.

1984-chevrolet-celebrity5.jpg

Lol @ any of those cars getting the boat up the ramp.

I wonder if the front wheel drive traction that manufacturers bragged about in the 80s is compromised when a 5,000 lb boat is pushing the rear end down.

I wonder if the front wheel drive traction that manufacturers bragged about in the 80s is compromised when a 5,000 lb boat is pushing the rear end down.

Just a smidgen. 

But I can't imagine pulling all of that boat with a 2.8 liter V6 with 170 lb-ft of torque.

Clearly yacht towing is high on the priority list of compact and family sedan buyers of the 80s.   This looks like a promising operation. 

i198111.jpg

Just a smidgen. 

But I can't imagine pulling all of that boat with a 2.8 liter V6 with 170 lb-ft of torque.

The traction of front wheel drive makes it possible, this proves it:

citation8145.jpg

Just a smidgen.

The traction of front wheel drive makes it possible, this proves it:

citation8145.jpg

Actually, in that situation FWD may help because the wheels won't be under water. The key is to have a low tongue weight and there are trailer designs that can achieve that.

If that Citation tried to pull a boat out of the water, either the chassis will split in half or the engine will overheat and explode.  The question is just which one happens first.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.