• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

New Cadillac XT5 Spotted Completely Undisguised

Damnit. It looks too Traverse to me from the front. The back looks fine but I don't like the front.. Something about it looks very bulky.

I assume it is FWD?

Not a vehicle for me, but I kinda like the looks of it.....

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"You never know all the riches you own 'till someone takes them away" __ John Schneider __ 'Take The Long Way Home'

I knew something was familiar about the back, at first I thought Range Rover Evoque, but then I thought this with similar 3/4 window, thick D-pillar, roof spoiler, sloped rear window, etc

2016-Ford-Edge-ATC-winter-r-598.jpg

I knew something was familiar about the back, at first I thought Range Rover Evoque, but then I thought this with similar 3/4 window, thick D-pillar, roof spoiler, sloped rear window, etc

Lets see, they have totally different taillights and tailgate shape and even that D pillar is vastly different. Translation? No resemblance other than having four doors and a hatch.

Are you kidding me? The SRX already has that shape, it's an evolution of the current design. Get out of here with that copying off Ford BS.

2013_cadillac_srx_4dr-suv_premium_rq_oem

• Upvote 1

Well you have to consider the time line intelligently when looking at this vehicle.

#1 it was started at least 6 years ago under the original Cadillac rebuild era.

#2 they did not want to stray too far as the present model has sold many units and has made GM a lot of money.

#3 GM has changed Cadillac's mission 10 months ago so there would not be major change here.

#4 the FWD CUV segment is hot so they still need a model like this. We will see another larger SUV with RWD too so they will have both covered as well as a smaller FWD CUV.

The simple fact is a lot has changed since this vehicle was approved and a lot more is yet to change. This is truly just another transitional model in a transitional era. But even with that said it will provide strong sales and strong profits for Cadillac as it already has with the present model.

The fact too is it is no where near the same as the Nox. It will be much more upscale and have many more features than the Chevy model. The reality is the Lincoln has shared so much more with the Ford already than the Chevy with the Cadillac. GM even took the effort to lengthen the wheel base something Ford forgot to do on the Lincoln.

Well you have to consider the time line intelligently when looking at this vehicle.

#2 they did not want to stray too far as the present model has sold many units and has made GM a lot of money.

#3 GM has changed Cadillac's mission 10 months ago so there would not be major change here.

#4 the FWD CUV segment is hot so they still need a model like this. We will see another larger SUV with RWD too so they will have both covered as well as a smaller FWD CUV.

The simple fact is a lot has changed since this vehicle was approved and a lot more is yet to change. This is truly just another transitional model in a transitional era. But even with that said it will provide strong sales and strong profits for Cadillac as it already has with the present model.

The fact too is it is no where near the same as the Nox. It will be much more upscale and have many more features than the Chevy model. The reality is the Lincoln has shared so much more with the Ford already than the Chevy with the Cadillac. GM even took the effort to lengthen the wheel base something Ford forgot to do on the Lincoln.

The CT6 took less time than this..? Because that is the design theme I thought they would have went. This, to me, looks no more modern than what it is replacing. Unlike the ATS/CTS/CT6 which look brand new.

The CT6 took less time than this..? Because that is the design theme I thought they would have went. This, to me, looks no more modern than what it is replacing. Unlike the ATS/CTS/CT6 which look brand new.

It does have the CT6's "crying" headlights. In general, I'm not a fan of this design from front to back. The face looks generic with Cadillac parts bin thrown in.

However, is it too similar to the Equinox?? I don't see that at all. Every sheetmetal panel is different, all the glass is different, the doors are different, the profile is very different from behind. Besides both looking a bit puffy (the Cadillac is especially bloated looking) you'd never know these cars shared most of a platform (theta vs theta premium). Hell they probably don't even share that anymore, because GM is switching to newer, lighter FWD platforms.

Edited by cp-the-nerd

It does have the CT6's "crying" headlights. In general, I'm not a fan of this design from front to back. The face looks generic with Cadillac parts bin thrown in.

However, is it too similar to the Equinox?? I don't see that at all. Every sheetmetal panel is different, all the glass is different, the doors are different, the profile is very different from behind. Besides both looking a bit puffy (the Cadillac is especially bloated looking) you'd never know these cars shared most of a platform (theta vs theta premium). Hell they probably don't even share that anymore, because GM is switching to newer, lighter FWD platforms.

That is what bugs me the most about it. ^

• Upvote 1

That is what bugs me the most about it. ^

Yeah, like I said, I'm not a fan. I was floored by the new CTS, the ATS coupe has grown into pure lust, but the CT6 left me wanting, and this XT5 is a true let down. The thing has no character. When the SRX debuted, it was very dramatic and sleek for the class. This, like you said, barely looks like a new car among the segment.

Way more similar than I expected from modern Cadillac.

D3750CE5-EC8D-40AB-8385-DF533C023EC8_zps

7564ED12-A920-4C12-A1B0-5D58B945A56B_zps

Again, not even close and they are not even built on the same platform ccap.

I don't care if they are on the exact same platform or completely different platforms, that doesn't make one look less like the other to me. The hood and forward..looks the exact same shape, to me.  Again, to me, it looks like they took off the front clip and replaced it with the Cadillac one.

It's disappointing nonetheless.

I don't care if they are on the exact same platform or completely different platforms, that doesn't make one look less like the other to me. The hood and forward..looks the exact same shape, to me.  Again, to me, it looks like they took off the front clip and replaced it with the Cadillac one.

Don't know how you can see that when not one piece of sheetmetal is shared between them but again, agree to disagree.

Don't know how you can see that when not one piece of sheetmetal is shared between them but again, agree to disagree.

SHAPE. The SHAPE of the front end.

Edited by ccap41

The fact is this vehicle was delayed about two years and that is also in the time line I said one has to intelligently consider. This seal was started long ago and just now is getting here. The many changes within GM and Cadillac have slowed down the intro of the vehicle. In the end they were able to invest in more refinement and not rush it to market as the old one sold well till this year. Sales have dropped off because most folks anticipate the new ones arrival.

You want disappointing Ford Edge and the Lincoln MKX represent one of the biggest cons on the planet. The folks they fool with these two models. Not even a wheel base change to add a little more something for the money. This is why Lincoln is the king of fleet sale luxury.

Design-wise, Cadillac appears to be making the right call. The SRX is an RX 350 competitor with just a smidge more spice than the Lexus and slightly lower price. 

The upcoming RX's design is a little risky and that may be off-putting to its traditionally conservative buyers. One reason why the RX is a benchemark is because of its 'new but familiar' appearance, which does appeal to a lot of people in this market.  The XT5 can be able to capitalize on this, and earn a few conquest sales. 

My beef with the XT5 is the name. Cadillac has earned a track-record and goodwill with the SRX name. A number of people who buy these vehicles aren't what I'd call 'internet savvy.' They'll head to Google, search 'Cadillac XT5' and won't see reviews from past years that establish the SRX as a sales success and a good vehicle. Whereas they know what an RX is, they know it's been on the road for ages and that it'll be reliable. 

• Upvote 3

I agree, Mr. Killington, but I've been completely against the naming scheme change for that reason all along. I think it's a huge mistake, and I'm really confused by the logic behind it (if you can call it that).

Edited by cp-the-nerd
  • Upvote 1

The SHAPE doesn't match either other than being forward facing like every other CUV out there.

The SHAPE doesn't match either other than being forward facing like every other CUV out there.

lol whatever man, you like it. I don't. That's fine. I think it looks like an Equinox, you don't.

lol whatever man, you like it. I don't. That's fine. I think it looks like an Equinox, you don't.

Don't confuse me and don't get your shorts in a knot over it. Never said I liked it. As matter of fact I just stated earlier that I don't care for CUVs at all. I just don't see the resemblance you do. "lol" indeed. 

Alright guys, let the semantics go.

I'm not the one arguing over semantics. Only one person here is getting hung up on the "shape" of things. I merely stated my opinion.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.