• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Wings4Life(BANNED)

Xcar gets the scoop on Ford's strategy for the GT at Le Mans in 2016

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/02/ford-gt-le-mans-race-car-xcar-video/

Ford's plan to return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2016 with the latest GT might have been one of the worst kept secrets in motorsports in recently memory. Even before the road car debuted at the 2015Detroit Auto Showrumors were flying about the Blue Oval's strategy. The wait for the official announcement just before this year's race was certainly a long one, but it was probably worthwhile just to see the competition version's spectacular looks. Xcar recently got the chance to interview Ford about the company's objectives for the new racer's development.

Both the GT racing and street programs are meant as ways to advance cutting-edge technology and potentially let it trickle down to less-expensive models in the future. This is especially the case when it comes to finding ways to make carbon fiber cheaper and better. Of course, the supercar is also a showcase of what Ford can do competitively, and apparently there are patent-pending suspension parts the company isn't even talking about yet.

Ford would love to score a class victory at Le Mans next year, and is pretty clear here and in its earlier promo video that it sees Ferrari as a major rival in the race. While that makes sense historically, the cross-town competitors at Corvette could be an even bigger challenger. That squad has a more recent legacy of success in the 24-hour challenge, including a victory in the GTE-Pro class this year.

Designed for the track first and then adjusted for street.

Not too many production cars on the road today can say that. Awesome

I fearlessly predict that it's success will 100% depend on its depreciation rate versus the Lamborghini Aventador.

:D :D :D

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

We all know what's what on that score.

Be that as it may, Ford is entering a very tough class of racing, and a long lead up to the big race would be a prudent strategy. Corvette's victory was hard-earned this year, but GM fans are glad for the result.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We all know what's what on that score.

Be that as it may, Ford is entering a very tough class of racing, and a long lead up to the big race would be a prudent strategy. Corvette's victory was hard-earned this year, but GM fans are glad for the result.

Here's my thing that I'm sure some will not agree with. Ever since the GT was announced I have always stated that I love the design. I am not sold on the V6 option to be honest but I understand that is where it is heading. My problem is that $400K price tag. They are trying to play in some very rare territory against cars with far more prestige (and more cylinders) and history and brand cachet on their side, hence the "yikes". Just not 100% sold on it at all.

The only thing I dislike about the GT is the engine, which I consider to be breathtakingly stupid. The rest of the car?... pretty nice.

But ya-at 400 large, an EcoBoost V6 is a non-starter.

Too bad they are only entering 2 GT cars at Le Mans, because it would be something if they repeated a 1-2-3 win again.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.