Chevrolet News:Chevrolet Takes Aim At F-150's Aluminum In New Ad

Gear dials....

Everything is electronics now....there is no direct linkage...no mechanical direct linkage.

So...Gear dials. Why not? It frees up the console for other stuff instead of having a clunky lever...

Gear dials.... They look more elegant.

Gear dials...they fit in better with the other dials that modern cars use...take a look at Ford's interior and see how outta place that shifter looks...look at GM's interior...its got all kinds of dials...they are in your face...and as much as I LOVE steering wheel shifters...man...that thing is clunky and MORE OUTTA place....and finally...look at the Mopar and see hw clean the interior looks...and more room for other stuff on the console....GM's console is also freed up...because shifter is on the steering wheel...but that is no place for a shifter anymore...not in 2016...and the thing looks like shyte...its fat and...shyte...at least steering wheel column shifters in the 1950s and 1960s were sleek pieces of metal.

I completely agree Olds. If everything is going to be electronic might as well save space and just make it a dial. Aaaaand like 'Bong said with his being nice aluminum it probably doesn't have that cheap feeling to it like some actual shifters do.

I had some time to think about that...but Scott Evans and Christian Seabaugh over at Motor Trend made me over come that status quo fear. Then I realized how stupid and clumsy an automatic gear shifter really looks like...especially when everything is electrics now-a-days...and yeah...like 'Bong saiys about the aluminium trim...

However...as you know...because we feel the same way about it...I dont like push button start...because I like the feel of a V8 engine turning over and roaring to life from the key itself...

You realize that even most twist to start keys are effectively push button also right? The computer controls the starting cycle and won't allow you to overstart or understart the car anymore.

No no no.. Not that kind.. Not like the kind in my(formerly)'06 C350 where it was a key but you turn it an let it go and cycles. We're talking more like my(also formerly)  '03 Mach1 where the engine only turns over while you're actually turning it - old skool like!

You realize that even most twist to start keys are effectively push button also right? The computer controls the starting cycle and won't allow you to overstart or understart the car anymore

Yeah. My wife's 2013 Fusion is that way.

Hahaha I SO AGREE! :thumbsup: Too bad my escape is push button.. pretty lame. I don't understand how real car guys don't et that feeling of actually turning the key and feeling the engine turn over and fire up, as or short as you turn the key, with no electronics to run their own stupid cycle. And because it feels the best with a V8..which tend to have a little exhaust noise to them..and the engine revs a bit over idle..with a tad of cackle..OoOoOoOooooo! :cheers:

And CCAP explained it better than I did....its because we had this conversation before him and I.

I had one of my famous soap box moments :soapbox:  (another emoticon used...)  and we bonded yet another time. :closedeyes:

So yeah, Drew. And I HATE those electronic twist to start keys MORE than I do push button start buttons. I find they are a worse of a tease, because the millisecond you twist, the cycle starts...Its like a fake orgasm....you just go through the motions...it might as well be a button....I prefer the button, there is no need to fake the process...

Gear dials....

Everything is electronics now....there is no direct linkage...no mechanical direct linkage.

So...Gear dials. Why not? It frees up the console for other stuff instead of having a clunky lever...

Gear dials.... They look more elegant.

Gear dials...they fit in better with the other dials that modern cars use...take a look at Ford's interior and see how outta place that shifter looks...look at GM's interior...its got all kinds of dials...they are in your face...and as much as I LOVE steering wheel shifters...man...that thing is clunky and MORE OUTTA place....and finally...look at the Mopar and see hw clean the interior looks...and more room for other stuff on the console....GM's console is also freed up...because shifter is on the steering wheel...but that is no place for a shifter anymore...not in 2016...and the thing looks like shyte...its fat and...shyte...at least steering wheel column shifters in the 1950s and 1960s were sleek pieces of metal.

I completely agree Olds. If everything is going to be electronic might as well save space and just make it a dial. Aaaaand like 'Bong said with his being nice aluminum it probably doesn't have that cheap feeling to it like some actual shifters do.

I had some time to think about that...but Scott Evans and Christian Seabaugh over at Motor Trend made me over come that status quo fear. Then I realized how stupid and clumsy an automatic gear shifter really looks like...especially when everything is electrics now-a-days...and yeah...like 'Bong saiys about the aluminium trim...

However...as you know...because we feel the same way about it...I dont like push button start...because I like the feel of a V8 engine turning over and roaring to life from the key itself...

You realize that even most twist to start keys are effectively push button also right? The computer controls the starting cycle and won't allow you to overstart or understart the car anymore.

No no no.. Not that kind.. Not like the kind in my(formerly)'06 C350 where it was a key but you turn it an let it go and cycles. We're talking more like my(also formerly)  '03 Mach1 where the engine only turns over while you're actually turning it - old skool like!

Yeah...Old skool like....electric bendix motor....that it is!!!

And gas pedals are just rheostats going to servo motors on the throttle bodies, and so are steering wheels mostly, and... :(

EVERYBODY STOP TALKING ABOUT HOW CARS ARE ALL ELECTRONIC AND DISENGAGING NOW!

Mine isn't ;)

[sharedmedia=garage:vehicles:70]

And gas pedals are just rheostats going to servo motors on the throttle bodies, and so are steering wheels mostly, and... :(

EVERYBODY STOP TALKING ABOUT HOW CARS ARE ALL ELECTRONIC AND DISENGAGING NOW!

Yes....stop with the very depressing ELECTRONIC talk and how cars today are...autonomous driving cars are ever so close...

Sounds like they are a bit desperate.  Interesting how aluminum in the Corvette or in Cadillacs is good and they tout weight loss and how it gives them the advantage over the competition.  But when a competitor uses aluminum, all of a sudden it is bad and steel is better.

• Disagree 3

Sounds like they are a bit desperate.  Interesting how aluminum in the Corvette or in Cadillacs is good and they tout weight loss and how it gives them the advantage over the competition.  But when a competitor uses aluminum, all of a sudden it is bad and steel is better.

please tell me youre joking. while i have seen corvettes and cadillacs managing towing duties, lets not kid ourselves here. we are talking about trucks... doing work, getting dirty, getting fixed. when gm starts ragging ford for using aluminum in the new gt's then this statement will have validity. carry on. 

• Agree 1

personally while shopping for a new (to me) "recreational vehicle" with 4x4, manual shift 4wd was a mandatory. electric shift 4wd with all the bells and whistles are nice, but when i decided to go into the wild i dont want a button to be the deciding factor on if i get stuck walking or i make it back to the road. my sisters old 98 s10 is currently 2wd only due to the fact that the push button has malfunctioned or the vacuum actuated diaphragm is gone. apparently its a common problem for that style s10 and s10 blazer. a surgeon here at the hospital had issues with his tahoe recently because of the electronic parking brake. some stuff just doesnt need to be a button to me....

Haul a lot of bricks and stone in your Corvette lately?

• Agree 1