Drew Dowdell

GMC News: GMC Refreshes the Sierra for 2016

Following the debut of the 2016 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC's released pictures of the new look for its bread and butter Sierra series for 2016.

The update consists of new "C" Shape tail lights and front running lights, along with a new front fascia. As in the Silverado, GMC's Intelilink system will also be updated with Apple CarPlay and AndroidAuto.

Technical updates and pricing will be released at a later date.

Source: GM Media

2016 GMC Sierra
Album: 2016 GMC Sierra
9 images
0 comments

Click here to view the article

what a waste. this could have waited another 2 years, while the terrain that actually needs work was jokingly "refreshed".

Uh, first off, both are merely refreshes, and secondly, the existing Terrain is still RAKING in cash for GM. So what's the problem?

The Terrain's platform is at the end of its life and can't use many of GM's latest advances or engines, however, they're far along in the process of engineering its successor (see the Buick Envision). GM's plans for the Terrain nameplate specifically are unknown.

Glad U read that poster his rights. The Terrain is fine.. sells absolutely splendid and is literally getting a  complete redo for 2017.

GM doing refreshes on both the Silvy and Sierra so soon, while they both on the uptick, make me nostalgic for my younger days when cars never looked the same from one year to the next. There was always something different each year. This last 20 years of a car looking the same for 5+ years is absolutely insulting to enthusiasts.. and a change here or there pulls in new buyers

Yes the Terrain sales are as high as ever and the new one will be here next year as a 2017.

The refresh it has this year will carry it to fleet sales.

I love the new front end here.

It looks tough while not trying to be a semi.

looks good but really the interior needs an upgrade too.

The interior is actually pretty nice. It's mostly a question of what your personal tastes are.

• Upvote 3

I like...its just that I do prefer a rectangle for a grill rather than that hexagon....but it is nice. I still prefer the GMC version over the Chevy in 2016.

I wonder if a regular hexagon would have looked nicer in my eyes....or an octagon...leaving the lower angles the same while the top sides being shorter than the lower ones...

(just thinking out loud with the last paragraph)

Uh... I think you roughly described a Taurus grille.

Uh....I think you are right....maybe that previous post deserves a down vote...

In my defense. I was pitcher for my son's baseball team this afternoon. I was and still am dehydrated it seems. That must explain the delusional thinking process. :dizzy:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Contrary to my rep, I don't hate Ford. I just laugh at many fordies. I actually recommended an SHO to my buddy a month ago.

He bought a Charger instead, but that's neither here nor there :D

• Downvote 1

It's a little busy looking up front, but it's an improvement in that it no longer looks like an old Ford SuperDuty.  New taillights should help bring some distinction from the Silverado.

It was better before. MOAR GRILL doesn't equate to better design.

The only way they can add more grill at this point is to ship it with a gas powered grill, a charcoal grill, and a George Foreman grill.

• Upvote 3

I was neither offended not thrilled by the design of these trucks in the first place. Their genius lies in GM's refinement of proven tech and styling. I suppose that could also be considered a weakness, but if so there are far worse weaknesses to have. FWIW, I bought my Ram because the styling appealed to me and it had tech that I consider both innovative AND effective in the real world (small diesel, air suspension).

In any event, these trucks will doubtless continue to sell and perform well in the segment. Thrilling they ain't. But they're number one for a reason.

WINNER: MOTOR TREND'S 2025 GRILL OF THE YEAR AWARD. (FORMERLY KNOWN AS TRUCK OF THE YEAR)

Future_Of_Trucks.jpg

post-1376-0-06025500-1437031088_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

Meh, current one is cleaner.

• Upvote 1

yes the Terrain is selling well, but to say that is why it doesnt need a refresh is the same as my argument that the Sierra doesnt need a refresh. I know the Terrain will be new in 17, so why wait until 16 for any changes? They should have come in 13-14. The last Sierra went 7 model years without any refresh, does GM think the current one is so bad looking that it needs help? These are some of the thoughts going through my head.

It was better before. MOAR GRILL doesn't equate to better design.

The only way they can add more grill at this point is to ship it with a gas powered grill, a charcoal grill, and a George Foreman grill.

Yeah, agree that the grills are kinda overkill at this point.

I like the light treatments though....almost gives a bit of retro look to it......

yes the Terrain is selling well, but to say that is why it doesnt need a refresh is the same as my argument that the Sierra doesnt need a refresh. I know the Terrain will be new in 17, so why wait until 16 for any changes? They should have come in 13-14. The last Sierra went 7 model years without any refresh, does GM think the current one is so bad looking that it needs help? These are some of the thoughts going through my head.

What are you talking about, the Terrain IS REFRESHED for 2016! It has a new face and tail lights, as well as some interior changes. It also received the 3.6L V6 powertrain back in 2013 to make it more competitive. GM is not sitting on the Equinox/Terrain as much as you think.

2016-GMC-Terrain-0.jpg

2016-GMC-Terrain-7.jpg

Edited by cp-the-nerd

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. Lloyd-TX
      Lloyd-TX
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Three-peat: Chevrolet’s Retail Share Grows for Third Consecutive Year – up 1 point since 2015
      Buick and GMC Buck the Industry to Post Double-digit Retail Sales Gains in December GM December retail sales up 2 percent; retail share tops 18 percent Best Commercial and Government deliveries since 2008 and largest 2017 share gain of any automaker DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) delivered 3,002,241 vehicles in the United States in 2017, including more than 1.3 million trucks and 965,090 crossovers. In the process, GM set new annual sales records for pickup and crossover deliveries, electric vehicles sales, average transaction prices and more. GM also reduced year-end inventories more than its target. Inventories were 752,554 units, down 90,000 from a year ago. Days supply was 63 days.
      Chevrolet Momentum
      Chevrolet has been GM’s most powerful growth engine. The brand delivered year-over-year retail market share increases in 2015, 2016 and 2017. Since the end of 2014, Chevrolet’s retail share has grown from 10.2 percent, according to Polk registration data, to an estimated 11.2 percent. The Fastest Growing Crossover Company
      GM crossover deliveries were up 17 percent year over year, driven by record sales of the Chevrolet Equinox, Traverse and Trax, as well as the Buick Envision, Buick Encore and GMC Acadia. GM grew its retail share of the crossover market more than any other automaker, according to the latest J.D. Power PIN estimates. GM’s retail share grew 1.6 percentage points to 13.1 percent. The only other major automaker to gain retail share was up less than one point. Chevrolet became the industry’s fastest-growing crossover brand in 2017 based on retail market share, with the all-new Equinox and Traverse gaining more than one point of share in their respective segments. Equinox retail deliveries were up 21 percent and Traverse was up 31 percent. The Trax was up 5 percent. Crossovers helped Buick deliver its best calendar year sales since 2004. The Buick Encore delivered its best year ever. It has been Buick’s volume leader for three straight years. Crossovers now account for more than 80 percent of Buick’s retail deliveries, compared with about two-thirds last year. Retail crossover sales for the brand were up 26 percent year over year, with the Enclave up 14 percent, the Encore up 8 percent and Envision up 167 percent. Cadillac’s retail crossover deliveries were up 9 percent, driven by the new XT5. The Industry’s Best-selling Trucks
      GM sold more pickup trucks in the United States than any other automaker for the fourth year in a row – a record 948,909 units – thanks to its unique three-truck strategy. Since 2014, Chevrolet and GMC have been the only brands to offer mid-size, light- and heavy-duty pickups. GM sold 239,719 full-size SUVs and has led the segment since the launch of the Chevrolet Suburban in 1935. Combined, the Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban, and the GMC Yukon and Yukon XL, have earned more than 75 percent retail market share for the fourth consecutive year. At GMC, more than half of Sierra HD customers and more than 70 percent of Yukon customers purchase premium Denali models. The Cadillac Escalade has earned at least 30 percent of the retail market for large luxury SUVs for four consecutive years, with ATPs that are more than $20,000 above its closest domestic competitor. The Leader in Affordable, Long-range EVs
      Chevrolet delivered more than 43,669 electric vehicles in 2017, including 23,297 Bolt EV crossovers and 20,349 Volt sedans. In December, the Bolt EV had its best month since launch. Record ATPs
      GM’s average transaction prices (ATPs), which are net of incentive spending estimates, were more than $35,400 for the year and they surpassed $38,000 in December. Both are records, and significantly above the industry average of $31,600 for the calendar year. Best Commercial and Government Deliveries Since 2008
      Total Commercial and Government deliveries were more than 296,000 units, the most since 2008. Commercial and Government deliveries are now the largest component of GM’s fleet deliveries, following a cumulative reduction of 170,000 rental deliveries since 2014. 2017 marked the first year that GM Commercial and Government deliveries have been greater than daily rental deliveries in the last quarter century. Based on Polk registration data through October, GM has gained more Commercial and Government market share in 2017 than any other automaker. Total and Retail Sales
      GM’s total sales in 2017 were down 1 percent year over year, outperforming the industry, which is expected to be down 2 percent. GM’s retail deliveries, which are more than 80 percent of total sales, were down 1 percent year over year, in line with the industry’s expected performance.  December Highlights (vs. a year ago)
      Corporate
      Industry sales and retail sales are all expected to be down about 4 percent. Fleet sales are expected to be down 5 percent. There was one less selling day. GM’s retail market share is expected to surpass 18 percent, up one percentage point for the company’s best month of the year. Retail sales totaled 254,449 units, up 2 percent.   GM’s Commercial and Government deliveries were up a combined 7 percent and daily rental deliveries were down 40 percent. Total fleet sales were down 22 percent. GM’s incentives as a percentage of ATP in the fourth quarter of 2017 averaged 13.3 percent, in line with the fourth quarter of 2016, according to J.D. Power PIN estimates. GM incentives during the month of December averaged 14.8 percent. Chevrolet
      Chevrolet’s retail market share increased 0.2 percentage points to an estimated 11.5 percent and ATPs for the month were the best-ever at more than $34,000. The Equinox and Traverse had their best December total sales ever with increases of 21 percent and 19 percent, respectively. Silverado total sales were up 25 percent. The Silverado light-duty crew cab had its best month ever. Buick
      Buick total sales were up 5 percent and retail deliveries were up 15 percent. On a retail basis, the Enclave was up 46 percent, the Envision up 93 percent and the Encore was up 2 percent. Retail market share increased an estimated 0.2 percentage points to 1.6 percent. GMC
      GMC total sales were up 1 percent for the brand’s best sales month in more than 12 years. Retail deliveries were up 14 percent and share increased an estimated 0.6 percentage points to 4.1 percent. December ATPs were the highest on record at approximately $47,500. Calendar year ATPs of $43,700 also set a new record. Retail deliveries of the Sierra were up 18 percent, the Yukon was up 54 percent, and the Yukon XL was up 51 percent. The Acadia was up 1 percent. Denali deliveries set a monthly and full-year record, with penetration approaching 40 percent in December and 30 percent for the year. Full-year Denali deliveries were approximately 140,000 units. Denali ATPs are about 25 percent higher than overall GMC ATPs. Cadillac
      Cadillac ATPs set a new monthly record of $58,300. 2018 Outlook 
      Mustafa Mohatarem, GM’s chief economist, forecasts 2018 total vehicle sales (including medium and heavy trucks) to exceed 17 million units for the fourth year in a row. Light vehicle sales are forecasted to be in the high 16 million-unit range.
      “In 2017, we had solid GDP growth and good news on employment, wages and consumer sentiment, which helped deliver very strong retail sales for the auto industry,” he said. “This year, many consumers will see their take-home pay rise because of tax reform. That will keep the broad economy growing, and help keep sales at very healthy levels even as the Fed increases interest rates.” 

GM is well positioned heading into the new year because of its low inventories and multi-year strategy to redesign and expand its truck and crossover portfolio. On a retail basis, 78 percent of GM sales are now trucks and crossovers, compared with an industry average of 65 percent.
      “We are winning customers in the fastest-growing parts of the market, and our momentum continues to grow because we have strengthened our brands, grown our Commercial and Government business, sharply reduced rental sales and successfully transitioned to a crossover- and truck-focused business,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “We are starting 2018 with very lean inventories for such a strong industry, and we see more room to grow because Chevrolet, Buick and GMC will have a full year of sales of their all-new crossovers, and we are going to launch the industry’s best full-size pickups.”

• By William Maley
      Chevrolet’s Retail Sales Outperform the Industry
      Retail Crossover Sales Soar at Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC; Commercial and Government deliveries up sharply DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today reported 245,387 deliveries in the United States in November, with large year-over-year increases in sales of Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC crossovers to individual “retail” customers.
      Chevrolet crossovers were up 16 percent, driven by a 59 percent increase for the Traverse, which had its best November retail and total sales ever. The Bolt EV had its best month yet. The Cadillac XT5 was up 11 percent. Buick crossovers were up 20 percent after Enclave deliveries more than doubled. Envision deliveries were up 2 percent. Buick’s new Avenir premium sub-brand is off to a strong start. About 30 percent of 2018 Enclave deliveries are Avenir models. GMC crossovers were up 11 percent, driven by a 4 percent increase for the Acadia and a 20 percent increase for the Terrain, which gained a full point of segment share month over month as availability grew. Overall retail sales were essentially equal to last November. Commercial and government deliveries were up a combined 7 percent, driven by a 30 percent increase in full-size pickup sales and a 35 percent increase for the Chevrolet Tahoe PPV (Police Pursuit Vehicle). Total fleet sales were down 13 percent after a 24 percent reduction in daily rental deliveries. Total sales were down 3 percent.
      Crossovers, strong SUV sales and a record November for GMC Denali sales helped the company’s average transaction prices (ATPs) surpass $37,000 for the first time ever. GM’s ATPs were about $4,500 above the industry average and nearly $2,000 higher than any domestic competitor.
      Chevrolet Momentum
      Retail sales for Chevrolet were up 2 percent year over year, while the retail industry is expected to be up about 1 percent. It was Chevrolet’s best retail November performance since 2004.
      The brand’s strong year-over-year retail performance extended to passenger cars, SUVs and pickups, which helped the brand outperform the industry: 
      Colorado deliveries were up 18 percent for its best November ever. The Tahoe and Suburban were up a combined 12 percent. Chevrolet passenger cars were up 1 percent, with the Corvette, SS, Impala, Sonic and Spark all posting sharply higher sales.   Strong Economic and Sales Outlook
      “More vehicles are sold in December than any other month and we are very well positioned because we have momentum in so many segments, but especially in crossovers,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “When we close the books on 2017, GM will show very healthy inventory levels, significantly lower daily rental sales for the third year in row, and the best year in our history for crossover deliveries by far.”
      “U.S. economic growth has stepped up and we expect the momentum will carry over to 2018,” added GM Chief Economist Mustafa Mohatarem. “Employment continues to grow at a solid pace, wage growth will accelerate and consumer confidence just hit a 17-year high, so industry sales should remain strong.”
      Other November Highlights
      GM’s ATPs were up more than $650 from October and more than $1,400 from a year ago. GM is on track to close 2017 with significantly fewer vehicles in stock than it had in December 2016. GM’s November incentive spending was an estimated 12.9 percent of ATP, per JD Power PIN, which is in line with the industry average. Spending was down 0.3 percentage points from October and 0.8 points year over year.
    • By Anthony Fongaro
      When I was looking for a new vehicle last year, there was one option I wanted to have: Apple CarPlay. Being able to integrate the screen from my iPhone to my Volkswagen’s infotainment system sounded like a brilliant idea! Now living with both my car and Apple CarPlay on a daily basis, I can give some of my opinions on how it has been.
      Initiating CarPlay is quite easy. All you have to do is plug in your iPhone into your USB and it will show you the standard screen. Once you see the screen, you’ll have some useful features at your fingertips. Choosing your music and interacting with both text messaging and phone calls all go through Siri. You can manually choose your songs, choose the person you want to send a phone call or message to or respond to a phone call or message. This makes the vehicle a true hands-free car. Text messages are read to you via Siri and when you respond to a text message, she checks what you said is what you want to send before you send the text message. This all sounds good, right? Well, it’s not a bad piece of software. But there is one massive problem.
      Siri. There have been times when someone would text me and Siri would decide not to have a connection when I would try to respond. Although I had full connection with my phone, CarPlay would think there was no connection available. Clicking on the text message a few times would finally let me listen and respond to the text message. Other times, I would connect my iPhone with my designated Apple cable and CarPlay would not initiate at all. At one point, I had to pull over and turn off the car to have it work again. One word of advice when you are using CarPlay and texting: keep Siri to American English. I had her in Australian English when I first bought my car and she would constantly send out a text message with the wrong words. Certain words and phrases also can’t get picked up with the speech-to-text so I would redo my entire sentence.
      Going back to apps, there are a few that you can get outside of Maps, Phone, Message, and Music. If you have subscriptions or downloaded apps such as Audible, Pandora, and Amazon Music, you can listen to various podcasts and music. The downside about the stock apps you have is there is no way of using third-party apps for maps, so you have to use Apple's Maps. For Maps, I found that typing in the destination in my phone then letting CarPlay launch Maps to start route guidance. For a list of all the apps you can download, visit the official Apple CarPlay page here: https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/.
      So is Apple CarPlay what I was expecting? In terms of reliability, no. Even if I’m driving through a location with good signal, Siri may not work. The design is sleek and familiar to anyone that uses an iPhone. I do recommend anyone to at least try Apple CarPlay before deciding if they want to have it in their vehicle.

View full article
    • By Anthony Fongaro
      When I was looking for a new vehicle last year, there was one option I wanted to have: Apple CarPlay. Being able to integrate the screen from my iPhone to my Volkswagen’s infotainment system sounded like a brilliant idea! Now living with both my car and Apple CarPlay on a daily basis, I can give some of my opinions on how it has been.
      Initiating CarPlay is quite easy. All you have to do is plug in your iPhone into your USB and it will show you the standard screen. Once you see the screen, you’ll have some useful features at your fingertips. Choosing your music and interacting with both text messaging and phone calls all go through Siri. You can manually choose your songs, choose the person you want to send a phone call or message to or respond to a phone call or message. This makes the vehicle a true hands-free car. Text messages are read to you via Siri and when you respond to a text message, she checks what you said is what you want to send before you send the text message. This all sounds good, right? Well, it’s not a bad piece of software. But there is one massive problem.
      Siri. There have been times when someone would text me and Siri would decide not to have a connection when I would try to respond. Although I had full connection with my phone, CarPlay would think there was no connection available. Clicking on the text message a few times would finally let me listen and respond to the text message. Other times, I would connect my iPhone with my designated Apple cable and CarPlay would not initiate at all. At one point, I had to pull over and turn off the car to have it work again. One word of advice when you are using CarPlay and texting: keep Siri to American English. I had her in Australian English when I first bought my car and she would constantly send out a text message with the wrong words. Certain words and phrases also can’t get picked up with the speech-to-text so I would redo my entire sentence.
      Going back to apps, there are a few that you can get outside of Maps, Phone, Message, and Music. If you have subscriptions or downloaded apps such as Audible, Pandora, and Amazon Music, you can listen to various podcasts and music. The downside about the stock apps you have is there is no way of using third-party apps for maps, so you have to use Apple's Maps. For Maps, I found that typing in the destination in my phone then letting CarPlay launch Maps to start route guidance. For a list of all the apps you can download, visit the official Apple CarPlay page here: https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/.
      So is Apple CarPlay what I was expecting? In terms of reliability, no. Even if I’m driving through a location with good signal, Siri may not work. The design is sleek and familiar to anyone that uses an iPhone. I do recommend anyone to at least try Apple CarPlay before deciding if they want to have it in their vehicle.

• By William Maley
      GMC had a bit of a surprise for the Dubai International Motor Show with the Desert Fox Middle East truck concept.
      Desert Fox was a special package available on the 1977 GMC C/K 1500 pickup that featured a tan (Buckskin) exterior color with color stripes running along the sides and hood. The package also featured a brush guard, bed mounted sports bar, additional lights, and tan colored wheels. This package was also available for the Jimmy SUV.
      This Sierra 1500-based concept brings this package into the modern era with the same paint color and stripe layout. It also comes outfitted with some off-road goodies such as an off-road bumper with a winch, beadlock wheels wrapped in desert-terrain tires, bed-mounted sports bar with LED lights, skid plates, and a new exhaust system. No mention of a powertrain but we're thinking it could the 5.3L V8.
      Source: Car and Driver

• My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook