• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Drew Dowdell

GMC News: GMC Refreshes the Sierra for 2016

Following the debut of the 2016 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC's released pictures of the new look for its bread and butter Sierra series for 2016.

The update consists of new "C" Shape tail lights and front running lights, along with a new front fascia. As in the Silverado, GMC's Intelilink system will also be updated with Apple CarPlay and AndroidAuto.

Technical updates and pricing will be released at a later date.

Source: GM Media

View full article

What a beastly looking truck! Looks like a damn raptor fighter.

2016-gmc-sierra-allterrain-013-1.jpg

Agreed.  I love the All-Terrain look.

what a waste. this could have waited another 2 years, while the terrain that actually needs work was jokingly "refreshed".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

what a waste. this could have waited another 2 years, while the terrain that actually needs work was jokingly "refreshed".

Uh, first off, both are merely refreshes, and secondly, the existing Terrain is still RAKING in cash for GM. So what's the problem?

The Terrain's platform is at the end of its life and can't use many of GM's latest advances or engines, however, they're far along in the process of engineering its successor (see the Buick Envision). GM's plans for the Terrain nameplate specifically are unknown.

Glad U read that poster his rights. The Terrain is fine.. sells absolutely splendid and is literally getting a  complete redo for 2017.

GM doing refreshes on both the Silvy and Sierra so soon, while they both on the uptick, make me nostalgic for my younger days when cars never looked the same from one year to the next. There was always something different each year. This last 20 years of a car looking the same for 5+ years is absolutely insulting to enthusiasts.. and a change here or there pulls in new buyers

Yes the Terrain sales are as high as ever and the new one will be here next year as a 2017.

The refresh it has this year will carry it to fleet sales.

I love the new front end here.

It looks tough while not trying to be a semi.

looks good but really the interior needs an upgrade too.

The interior is actually pretty nice. It's mostly a question of what your personal tastes are.

• Upvote 3

I like...its just that I do prefer a rectangle for a grill rather than that hexagon....but it is nice. I still prefer the GMC version over the Chevy in 2016.

I wonder if a regular hexagon would have looked nicer in my eyes....or an octagon...leaving the lower angles the same while the top sides being shorter than the lower ones...

(just thinking out loud with the last paragraph)

Uh... I think you roughly described a Taurus grille.

Uh....I think you are right....maybe that previous post deserves a down vote...

In my defense. I was pitcher for my son's baseball team this afternoon. I was and still am dehydrated it seems. That must explain the delusional thinking process. :dizzy:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Contrary to my rep, I don't hate Ford. I just laugh at many fordies. I actually recommended an SHO to my buddy a month ago.

He bought a Charger instead, but that's neither here nor there :D

• Downvote 1

It's a little busy looking up front, but it's an improvement in that it no longer looks like an old Ford SuperDuty.  New taillights should help bring some distinction from the Silverado.

It was better before. MOAR GRILL doesn't equate to better design.

The only way they can add more grill at this point is to ship it with a gas powered grill, a charcoal grill, and a George Foreman grill.

• Upvote 3

I was neither offended not thrilled by the design of these trucks in the first place. Their genius lies in GM's refinement of proven tech and styling. I suppose that could also be considered a weakness, but if so there are far worse weaknesses to have. FWIW, I bought my Ram because the styling appealed to me and it had tech that I consider both innovative AND effective in the real world (small diesel, air suspension).

In any event, these trucks will doubtless continue to sell and perform well in the segment. Thrilling they ain't. But they're number one for a reason.

WINNER: MOTOR TREND'S 2025 GRILL OF THE YEAR AWARD. (FORMERLY KNOWN AS TRUCK OF THE YEAR)

Future_Of_Trucks.jpg

post-1376-0-06025500-1437031088_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

yes the Terrain is selling well, but to say that is why it doesnt need a refresh is the same as my argument that the Sierra doesnt need a refresh. I know the Terrain will be new in 17, so why wait until 16 for any changes? They should have come in 13-14. The last Sierra went 7 model years without any refresh, does GM think the current one is so bad looking that it needs help? These are some of the thoughts going through my head.

Yes, both the Terrain and the Equinox needed to be refreshed sooner, but GM pushed them back to make the refreshes even better. 

It was better before. MOAR GRILL doesn't equate to better design.

The only way they can add more grill at this point is to ship it with a gas powered grill, a charcoal grill, and a George Foreman grill.

Yeah, agree that the grills are kinda overkill at this point.

I like the light treatments though....almost gives a bit of retro look to it......

yes the Terrain is selling well, but to say that is why it doesnt need a refresh is the same as my argument that the Sierra doesnt need a refresh. I know the Terrain will be new in 17, so why wait until 16 for any changes? They should have come in 13-14. The last Sierra went 7 model years without any refresh, does GM think the current one is so bad looking that it needs help? These are some of the thoughts going through my head.

What are you talking about, the Terrain IS REFRESHED for 2016! It has a new face and tail lights, as well as some interior changes. It also received the 3.6L V6 powertrain back in 2013 to make it more competitive. GM is not sitting on the Equinox/Terrain as much as you think.

2016-GMC-Terrain-0.jpg

2016-GMC-Terrain-7.jpg

Edited by cp-the-nerd

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      GMC seems to be following Chevrolet's idea of offering different versions of its trucks to suit different buyers. Case in point is the recently revealed 2019 Sierra 1500 Elevation.
      Starting with the double cab variant, GMC adds a combination of body-color and backed-out accents, along with a set of 20-inch wheels finished in black. Under the hood resides the recently unveiled turbocharged 2.7L four-cylinder producing 310 horsepower and 348 pound-feet of torque. Optional engines include the 5.3L V8 with 355 horsepower and the 3.0L turbodiesel inline-six. You will have the choice of two or four-wheel drive. GMC will also offer the X31 Off Road Package that brings Rancho off-road shock absorbers, locking rear differential, hill descent control, skid plates, a two-speed transfer case, and a heavy-duty air filter.
      The 2019 Sierra Elevation conveys a youthful, athletic presence that demonstrates GMC’s tailored approach. With inherent truck capabilities and functionality, Elevation is able to take you off the beaten path along with your gear while standing out from the pack,” said Rich Latek, GMC marketing director.
      The Elevation will be one of Sierra models available at launch later this fall.
      Source: GMC

GMC Reaches New Heights with Next Gen 2019 Sierra Elevation
      Double-cab model boasts a bold and confident attitude with elevated capability DETROIT — The launch of the next generation Sierra lineup continues with the introduction of the new 2019 GMC Sierra Elevation. Adding to other recently revealed bold, powerful models of the Sierra, the Elevation makes a statement in design, capability and advanced connectivity.
      The Sierra Elevation, along with Denali, AT4 and SLT, is designed to meet the needs and preferences of discerning GMC customers. The next generation Sierras are built upon a prominent foundation of strong bodywork that incorporates chiseled fenders and a tall, powerful hood capped with a bigger and bolder grille than any Sierra prior. Elevation sets itself apart with distinct monochromatic door handles, bumpers and grille surround. The commanding design is amplified by black exterior accents, including the grille insert, tow hooks, side window trim and standard 20-inch aluminum wheels.
      Like other modern GMC designs, advanced lighting technology plays a key role in shaping the 2019 Sierra Elevation. New high-intensity LED headlamps that incorporate C-shaped "light blade" signature lighting elements, LED fog lamps and C-shaped LED elements within the taillights are all standard.
      “The 2019 Sierra Elevation conveys a youthful, athletic presence that demonstrates GMC’s tailored approach,” said Rich Latek, GMC marketing director. “With inherent truck capabilities and functionality, Elevation is able to take you off the beaten path along with your gear while standing out from the pack.”
      The Sierra Elevation is based off the double cab model and is offered with two- or four-wheel-drive configurations. The next generation double cab has nearly 3 inches of additional rear-seat legroom compared to the current model and best-in-class double cab front head- and legroom (max.).
      Elevated Capability
      The Sierra Elevation leverages innovative technology and smart engineering to enhance capability and elevate driver confidence. With the Traction Select System and the twist of a dial, the driver can choose from preset modes designed for distinct purposes or conditions. Selecting one of these modes adjusts Sierra’s transmission shift points, throttle mapping and other systems to optimize performance for the situation at hand. Tour mode, for instance, is ideal for everyday driving, while Terrain mode configures the Sierra for venturing off the beaten path.
      For those who frequently venture off-road, Sierra Elevation is available with the X31 Off Road package, which includes unique suspension tuning with Rancho shocks, locking rear differential, Hill Descent Control, protective underbody skidplates, heavy-duty air filter, dual exhaust system and a two-speed transfer case with low-range gearing topped off with all-terrain tires.
      If trailering a camper or other gear is part of your adventure, the 2019 Sierra Elevation was designed from square one with trailering in mind. The available ProGrade Trailering System incorporates a number of innovative features, including an advanced available Trailering App, designed to help take the guesswork out of connecting and towing a trailer.
      Purposeful Functionality
      The Sierra Elevation was engineered to get you and your gear — be it kayaks, camping, mountain bikes, motorcycles or beyond — where you need to go, building on the foundation of the best-in-class cargo volume standard with every all-new Sierra: 89.1 cubic feet on standard box models. Thanks to more tie-downs, enhanced cargo lighting and larger rear corner steps, the task of loading and securing gear is easier than ever. A 120V outlet in the rear supplies power to equipment needed for a day at the campsite or on the trails.
      Available accessory GearOn rails within the box allow for bike racks, kayak carriers and other accessories to be installed or adjusted quickly and easily. The rails’ integrated position makes cargo more accessible and frees up space in the rest of the box.
      Next Generation Performance
      The Sierra Elevation is available with a number of new engine and transmission configurations that deliver the perfect blend of power and capability.
      Standard on the 2019 Sierra Elevation is an all-new 2.7-liter turbocharged engine paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission that delivers 310 horsepower and 348 lb-ft of torque.
      The next generation 5.3-liter V-8 is also available on the Sierra Elevation, in conjunction with an eight-speed automatic transmission. This improved version of the 5.3-liter V-8 utilizes a new Dynamic Fuel Management system that enables the engine to operate on one to eight cylinders, depending on demand, to optimize power and efficiency.
      Early in 2019, the Sierra Elevation will also be offered with a new 3.0-liter turbo-diesel inline-six-cylinder engine, along with a 10-speed automatic transmission.
      Advanced Connectivity
      An 8-inch diagonal GMC Infotainment System that incorporates Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility* is standard on the Sierra Elevation, along with a six-speaker audio system. A premium GMC Infotainment System that incorporates a higher resolution touchscreen, advanced personalization features, voice recognition functionality and available in-vehicle apps is optional, as is a 7-speaker Bose premium audio system. USB Type A and Type C ports for charging mobile devices are standard.
      The 2019 GMC Sierra Elevation will be available starting in the fall of 2018.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      GMC seems to be following Chevrolet's idea of offering different versions of its trucks to suit different buyers. Case in point is the recently revealed 2019 Sierra 1500 Elevation.
      Starting with the double cab variant, GMC adds a combination of body-color and backed-out accents, along with a set of 20-inch wheels finished in black. Under the hood resides the recently unveiled turbocharged 2.7L four-cylinder producing 310 horsepower and 348 pound-feet of torque. Optional engines include the 5.3L V8 with 355 horsepower and the 3.0L turbodiesel inline-six. You will have the choice of two or four-wheel drive. GMC will also offer the X31 Off Road Package that brings Rancho off-road shock absorbers, locking rear differential, hill descent control, skid plates, a two-speed transfer case, and a heavy-duty air filter.
      The 2019 Sierra Elevation conveys a youthful, athletic presence that demonstrates GMC’s tailored approach. With inherent truck capabilities and functionality, Elevation is able to take you off the beaten path along with your gear while standing out from the pack,” said Rich Latek, GMC marketing director.
      The Elevation will be one of Sierra models available at launch later this fall.
      Source: GMC

GMC Reaches New Heights with Next Gen 2019 Sierra Elevation
      Double-cab model boasts a bold and confident attitude with elevated capability DETROIT — The launch of the next generation Sierra lineup continues with the introduction of the new 2019 GMC Sierra Elevation. Adding to other recently revealed bold, powerful models of the Sierra, the Elevation makes a statement in design, capability and advanced connectivity.
      The Sierra Elevation, along with Denali, AT4 and SLT, is designed to meet the needs and preferences of discerning GMC customers. The next generation Sierras are built upon a prominent foundation of strong bodywork that incorporates chiseled fenders and a tall, powerful hood capped with a bigger and bolder grille than any Sierra prior. Elevation sets itself apart with distinct monochromatic door handles, bumpers and grille surround. The commanding design is amplified by black exterior accents, including the grille insert, tow hooks, side window trim and standard 20-inch aluminum wheels.
      Like other modern GMC designs, advanced lighting technology plays a key role in shaping the 2019 Sierra Elevation. New high-intensity LED headlamps that incorporate C-shaped "light blade" signature lighting elements, LED fog lamps and C-shaped LED elements within the taillights are all standard.
      “The 2019 Sierra Elevation conveys a youthful, athletic presence that demonstrates GMC’s tailored approach,” said Rich Latek, GMC marketing director. “With inherent truck capabilities and functionality, Elevation is able to take you off the beaten path along with your gear while standing out from the pack.”
      The Sierra Elevation is based off the double cab model and is offered with two- or four-wheel-drive configurations. The next generation double cab has nearly 3 inches of additional rear-seat legroom compared to the current model and best-in-class double cab front head- and legroom (max.).
      Elevated Capability
      The Sierra Elevation leverages innovative technology and smart engineering to enhance capability and elevate driver confidence. With the Traction Select System and the twist of a dial, the driver can choose from preset modes designed for distinct purposes or conditions. Selecting one of these modes adjusts Sierra’s transmission shift points, throttle mapping and other systems to optimize performance for the situation at hand. Tour mode, for instance, is ideal for everyday driving, while Terrain mode configures the Sierra for venturing off the beaten path.
      For those who frequently venture off-road, Sierra Elevation is available with the X31 Off Road package, which includes unique suspension tuning with Rancho shocks, locking rear differential, Hill Descent Control, protective underbody skidplates, heavy-duty air filter, dual exhaust system and a two-speed transfer case with low-range gearing topped off with all-terrain tires.
      If trailering a camper or other gear is part of your adventure, the 2019 Sierra Elevation was designed from square one with trailering in mind. The available ProGrade Trailering System incorporates a number of innovative features, including an advanced available Trailering App, designed to help take the guesswork out of connecting and towing a trailer.
      Purposeful Functionality
      The Sierra Elevation was engineered to get you and your gear — be it kayaks, camping, mountain bikes, motorcycles or beyond — where you need to go, building on the foundation of the best-in-class cargo volume standard with every all-new Sierra: 89.1 cubic feet on standard box models. Thanks to more tie-downs, enhanced cargo lighting and larger rear corner steps, the task of loading and securing gear is easier than ever. A 120V outlet in the rear supplies power to equipment needed for a day at the campsite or on the trails.
      Available accessory GearOn rails within the box allow for bike racks, kayak carriers and other accessories to be installed or adjusted quickly and easily. The rails’ integrated position makes cargo more accessible and frees up space in the rest of the box.
      Next Generation Performance
      The Sierra Elevation is available with a number of new engine and transmission configurations that deliver the perfect blend of power and capability.
      Standard on the 2019 Sierra Elevation is an all-new 2.7-liter turbocharged engine paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission that delivers 310 horsepower and 348 lb-ft of torque.
      The next generation 5.3-liter V-8 is also available on the Sierra Elevation, in conjunction with an eight-speed automatic transmission. This improved version of the 5.3-liter V-8 utilizes a new Dynamic Fuel Management system that enables the engine to operate on one to eight cylinders, depending on demand, to optimize power and efficiency.
      Early in 2019, the Sierra Elevation will also be offered with a new 3.0-liter turbo-diesel inline-six-cylinder engine, along with a 10-speed automatic transmission.
      Advanced Connectivity
      An 8-inch diagonal GMC Infotainment System that incorporates Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility* is standard on the Sierra Elevation, along with a six-speaker audio system. A premium GMC Infotainment System that incorporates a higher resolution touchscreen, advanced personalization features, voice recognition functionality and available in-vehicle apps is optional, as is a 7-speaker Bose premium audio system. USB Type A and Type C ports for charging mobile devices are standard.
      The 2019 GMC Sierra Elevation will be available starting in the fall of 2018.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      For the 2018 Model Year, Chevy gave the Tahoe an RST package for some extra sporting pizzazz and more recently introduced the RST Performance package on the Suburban.  The RST removed chrome, blacked out grilles, and added custom wheels.  Upgrading to the performance package brought on the 6.2 liter V8, 10-Speed automatic transmission, and GM's Magnetic Ride Control.  At GMC, the only way to get those performance upgrades was to first check the box on the order form that said "Denali".
      One of our intrepid readers lurking around the GM Fleet Order Guide (Hat-tip: @ocnblu) found that GMC is planning to offer a virtually identical set of packages on the Yukon for 2019. Named Graphite and Graphite Performance Package, these packages should add a bit bolder look to the otherwise conservative Yukon.
      Like the Tahoe/Suburban RST, the GMC Yukon Graphite Edition removes most, if not all, of the bright chrome accents typically found on a Yukon. In their place are a black chrome mesh grille insert, black chrome fog lamp surround, body color grille surround, gloss black belt line moldings, and the Z85 Suspension package with air leveling. Special, package specific 22" bright machined wheels with Carbon Flash Metallic pockets and gloss black side assist steps are added. 
      The Graphite Performance Edition adds to that with the 6.2 liter V8, 10-speed automatic, 3.23 rear axle, Magnetic Ride Control, upgraded 8" driver information center, heads up display, 8" infotainment system with navigation, trailer brake controller, upgraded alternator, unique performance edition 22" 6-spoke wheels, and on four-wheel drive models a 2-speed active transfer case.  Not mentioned in the GMC order guide is the sport suspension calibration mentioned in the Tahoe RST guide, but that could simply be an order guide oversight. 
      Both Graphite Editions will come wearing P285/45R22 tires and will only be available for selection on SLT equipped Yukons. The Yukon Graphite will be available in only three colors - White Frost Tricoat, Onyx Black, or Dark Sky Metallic.
      No official picture or release of the 2019 GMC Yukon Graphite Edition has been made by GMC yet, but expect something in the coming weeks.
      (2016 GMC Yukon SLT Pictured)

View full article
  • My Clubs