NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

MotorWeek | Retro Review: '90 Chevy Beretta GTZ

I know this car sold but quality was questionable to some. I have to say this car I actually really liked.

Back when I was in college and driving a burgundy '89 Camry, my parents had a Beretta GT for a while that I drove occasionally. It was way better looking and more fun to drive than my Toyota. The 2.8L V6 had a lot more on-demand torque than the Japanese 4-banger and the steering/handling felt more lively and tactile. Of course the Camry got the nod for interior design and quality, as well as fuel economy, but I'd have traded cars on the spot.

Despite its faults, I'm a fan of the Beretta.

Damn, my first car was a Beretta Z26(1995). I loved that car. Luckily it's still in the family as my brother drives it while he's in college. It's really only had one major issue and it was this past fall. It needed its transmission rebuilt. I believe it has around 160k on the clock at this point. Maybe more.

Oh yeah, mine was purple! ;)

One thing I like about the design is that there isn't a grille.  Much like Oldsmobile did with the Aurora.  I think the no grille look is unique and makes the styling last longer before it looks dated.   You don't really see the no grille look anymore, in fact it is the opposite, where many car makers want as large and obnoxious grille as they can get, i.e. Lexus.

was it really that fast?

I dont remember it being that fast. I remember a 1989 Pontiac Grand Am H.O. Quad 4 being at the most 7.9 seconds...maybe 7.8 seconds and above 16 seconds in the quarter...and if my memory serves me right...he fastest of all Quad 4 H.O engined cars was that 1989 Grand Am.... Next in line was the Olds Calais 442 of the same year...maybe 1990 at just a tick slower than the Grand Am...then if my memory serves me correct...the third and fourth fastest HO Quad 4 recipients were the 1993 Grand Am and Olds Achieva SCX...and again...if my memory serves me correctly...they struggled to get below 8.0 seconds and struggled to get into the low 16 seconds...they were at 16.2-16.3 seconds in the quarter....and finally was the Beretta GTZ....

But it was a long time ago...maybe the Beretta was the fastest???

I highly doubt that as I remember being peeved at Chevy for saying the Beretta was the fastest FWD car they built...its because I KNEW that the 1989 Grand Am HO Quad 4 was fastest....

Its a shame that I recently threw out most of my remaining Car and Driver and Motor Trend magazines....I say that because I had a Car and Driver magazine...it was a 1993...it had the 1993 Pontiac Grand Am GT coupe HO Quad 4 in their tests...It also had a frst drive of the 1993 Bonneville SSEi...

I also had the 1990 Corvette ZR-1 King of the Hill Motor Trend Issue...it talked about the Viper as well...and I remember checking out the 1993 Grand Am GT specs Car and Driver specs with this 1990 issue as at the last pages of Motor Trend magazines back then...they published the results of their past car tests...and I remember comparing the Calais 442, 1989 Grand Am with the 1993 Grand Am...

I also remember comparing those times with my cousin's 1995 Acura Integra...and in 1995....the Integra made those times...7.5 seconds and high 15 seconds in the quarter mile and I remember that the Quad 4 really never came close to that...my cousin laughing at me for the love affair of GM... I remeber that as I ALWAYS hated that Integra...and I remember seeing specs for a 1994 Grand Am GT coupe  V6  at 8.5 seconds and the quarter mile at 16.5 seconds..

But alas...I cant be 100% sure...because I dont have that proof no more...I gotta go with memory.

Maybe a third party can come and resolve our little dilemma.

Edited by oldshurst442

Touché, Mr Drew.

And up until now...I did not realize that Chevy was actually honest and truthful....

I still like Chevy the least of all GM brands though...

Maybe not...

Oldsmobile and Cadillac tied for 1st

Pontiac in 2nd

Chevy in 3rd

Buick in 4rth

Opel in 5th place.

I was a bit surprised by the numbers Motorweek was able to wring outta that old thing. Then again, it was the High Output Quad Four. It was amazingly powerful, and it sounded like... well, it was amazingly powerful.

I don't usually like databases like these because they're not particularly reliable, but this one cited reputable sources for a lot their times. They listed a Beretta GTZ performance test at 7.7 sec 0-60 and a 16.1 1/4 mile. Just 2 ticks slower than this motorweek test. If they were near sealevel with good weather, a 15.9 isn't hard to believe.

http://myquartermile.com/qtrmile.php?make=Chevrolet

I don't usually like databases like these because they're not particularly reliable, but this one cited reputable sources for a lot their times. They listed a Beretta GTZ performance test at 7.7 sec 0-60 and a 16.1 1/4 mile. Just 2 ticks slower than this motorweek test. If they were near sealevel with good weather, a 15.9 isn't hard to believe.

http://myquartermile.com/qtrmile.php?make=Chevrolet

I know what you mean those kinds of websites...

But Ill eat some crow now...

eat-crow_480.jpg

That is proof enough for me...but I refuse to call a Beretta a 'high performance machine'..

These are high performance machines from Chevy...

:iroc-dragster:. :mullet: 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook