Wings4Life(BANNED)

Reasons for Ford Truck Incentives Overblown

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2015/07/reasons-for-ford-truck-incentives-overblown/

I thought this worthy of it's own thread.

The scrutiny over Ford’s new aluminum-intensive F-150 hit a fever pitch this week over incentive offerings reaching as high as $10,000 per truck: a frenzy upon further reflection with no real substance.

Reports chronicling discounts on the much-hyped truck were tied to sales figures that saw the country’s best-selling vehicle were down 2.4% for the first half of the year, including 8.9% in June, causing many to wonder if Ford was facing it’s nightmare scenario: truck buyers had no faith in an aluminum truck.

Smelling blood in the water, Chevrolet did its level best gain sales with a series of web-based ads, including one with former NFL lineman Howie Long, highlighting some of the potential problems that come with using aluminum.

In the ad, the former Pro Bowl defensive tackle speaks with a GM engineer about some of the problems aluminum use presents, including that repairs cost more and take longer, meaning owners who rely on that truck to make their living will have costs beyond the repairs because they will be without the vehicle longer than if they had a conventional steel-laden truck, like the Silverado.

Chevy officials downplayed antagonistic nature of the ads, saying they were simply a way to get out the brand’s “story.” Silverado and Ram truck sales have benefitted from F-150 problems. Silverado sales jumped 18% last month, and Ram sales rose 0.6% and 4.3% in the first half.

However, a look behind the curtain reveals that things are not nearly as bad as it may seem. The discounts were on Ford’s website, and vary by region. The highest discounts were found in places like Washington, D.C., which is not a big truck market. However, other places like California saw discounts as high as $7,000, although they were tied to Ford’s high-end pickups.

The packages also include rebates that are available to any new Ford buyer, such as $750 off for financing through Ford Credit, or $2,500 back in bonus cash, according to Ford officials. The average F-Series incentive was $3,100 per truck, Ford said, which lower than the industry average and about $600 less than what Ford offered this time last year on the previous-generation truck.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Ten grand on the hood in DC... not the end of the world. But seven grand off the highest-profit margin ones in California?

Sorry man-not good.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

The average F-Series incentive was $3,100 per truck, Ford said, which lower than the industry average and about $600 less than what Ford offered this time last year on the previous-generation truck.

Not so bad after all.

But hey, a little manufactured drama for headlines (and other reasons) is nothing new.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

You can throw up as many threads on the same subject as you want. If you present it as PR fluff, I will gleefully poke holes in it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You can throw up as many threads on the same subject as you want. If you present it as PR fluff, I will gleefully poke holes in it.

It is manufactured drama though.  The click-bait headline is based on incentive stacking that it is unlikely anyone can qualify for....

• Upvote 4

The average F-Series incentive was $3,100 per truck, Ford said, which lower than the industry average and about $600 less than what Ford offered this time last year on the previous-generation truck.

Not so bad after all.

But hey, a little manufactured drama for headlines (and other reasons) is nothing new.

Says the person who started the drama by posting said click bait article a few days ago. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Not so bad after all.

Says the person who started the drama by posting said click bait article a few days ago. 

When headlines like that come out.. it is worthy of us to discuss them in a civilized manner.  We're here to discuss the news and headlines of the day.... there is nothing wrong with posting stuff like that.

• Upvote 2

Not so bad after all.

When headlines like that come out.. it is worthy of us to discuss them in a civilized manner.  We're here to discuss the news and headlines of the day.... there is nothing wrong with posting stuff like that.

Thank you drew.

It's such a refreshing change of pace to have mods with an objective viewpoint on ALL news and articles, ready to discuss, instead of condemn as too much of a certain brand by certain folk only.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I agree with Drew, these stories need to be discussed and reviewed in a civil manner which allows us to better understand what is  going on in the auto industry that we all have passion for.

I am wondering since a portion of these rebates are on the high end trucks, One must ask how much of the poor MPG of their EcoBoost Turbo engines is playing a roll compared to naturally aspirated engines? The forums seem to have many a Ford Turbo Truck owner unhappy over the lack of hitting the stated MPG when driven normally compared to driving conservatively and it makes one wonder if this could be why the lots of highly featured trucks are not selling. After all a platinum fully loaded truck with a Turbo V6 not getting any better gas mileage than a traditional V8 can hurt perception.

Just wondering what the various possible real reasons are that the lots are sitting with so many highly featured trucks.

• Upvote 2

Not so bad after all.

Wasn't trying to say otherwise. Just stating the fact that the OP has posted both of the articles in question, so that should come with a certain level of scrutiny, nothing more nothing less.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I agree with Drew, these stories need to be discussed and reviewed in a civil manner which allows us to better understand what is  going on in the auto industry that we all have passion for.

I am wondering since a portion of these rebates are on the high end trucks, One must ask how much of the poor MPG of their EcoBoost Turbo engines is playing a roll compared to naturally aspirated engines? The forums seem to have many a Ford Turbo Truck owner unhappy over the lack of hitting the stated MPG when driven normally compared to driving conservatively and it makes one wonder if this could be why the lots of highly featured trucks are not selling. After all a platinum fully loaded truck with a Turbo V6 not getting any better gas mileage than a traditional V8 can hurt perception.

Just wondering what the various possible real reasons are that the lots are sitting with so many highly featured trucks.

The high end Ford trucks are coming with the out-going 3.5L, which is about same ALL NEW 6.2L in terms of ability, performance and fuel economy, and actually capable of better fuel economy.  I doubt that is a factor.  The primary factor here is the competitions similar incentive spending on high end.  

Not so bad after all.

Wasn't trying to say otherwise. Just stating the fact that the OP has posted both of the articles in question, so that should come with a certain level of scrutiny, nothing more nothing less.

I posted the original story, and then after much debate there was another story from detroitbureau that sided with one side of that debate (the one I happen to be on), so I posted that as well.....and for some reason now, you think my actions here should be scrutinized?  Really????  

What are you smoking?

Edited by Wings4Life
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What are you smoking (as you attempt to insult my intelligence)? You see the word "scrutiny" and think it is all about you. What it is about is claiming that this is "manufactured drama" when your first article helped contribute to the "drama", hence needing a certain level of objective scrutiny. Not sure how much clearer that it can be made for you.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

What are you smoking (as you attempt to insult my intelligence)? You see the word "scrutiny" and think it is all about you. What it is about is claiming that this is "manufactured drama" when your first article helped contribute to the "drama", hence needing a certain level of objective scrutiny. Not sure how much clearer that it can be made for you.

surreal, you are off your meds again.

You posted this that I replied to:

"Just stating the fact that the OP has posted both of the articles in question, so that should come with a certain level of scrutiny,"

....So how on Earth is that not about me?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

surreal, you are off your meds again.

You posted this that I replied to:

"Just stating the fact that the OP has posted both of the articles in question, so that should come with a certain level of scrutiny,"

....So how on Earth is that not about me?

If you want to continue with the insults, that's on you but it was clearly laid out for you and anyone else willing to discuss it. 

Nice job of getting one of your buddies to help you with down voting btw.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

11K on the hood here...not over blown but fact. Sorry wings your trolling powers suck.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Stop with the personal back and forth.

The scrutiny can be talking about the validity of such articles.  Again, that's what we're here for.  Don't attack the poster, but questioning the articles is fair game.

BOTH of these articles were worth discussion because the incentive headline has been floating around in the past week as well as the headline debunking the original one.

There is NOTHING to get personal about here.

• Upvote 1

^

Agreed.

Question the article, not the poster.

The scrutiny applies regardless of the poster, i.e. why one source says one thing and another says something else. It was not personal then and it is not personal now. Sorry for any confusion.

For the record though, telling someone that they are off their meds or smoking something IS personal.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Stop with the personal back and forth.

The scrutiny can be talking about the validity of such articles.  Again, that's what we're here for.  Don't attack the poster, but questioning the articles is fair game.

BOTH of these articles were worth discussion because the incentive headline has been floating around in the past week as well as the headline debunking the original one.

There is NOTHING to get personal about here.

"The scrutiny can be talking about the validity of such articles." is what I am referring to for the record. Again, sorry for any confusion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think the incentive wars and brand chest thumping is getting a little silly. Though Ford's been a bit mum on the deets still. One thing to think of, is there higher ATPs making up for lost volume? Some one here could analyze their quaterly results, and I would be the one to do it too; but then again I have NO time...

• Upvote 1

I think the incentive wars and brand chest thumping is getting a little silly. Though Ford's been a bit mum on the deets still. One thing to think of, is there higher ATPs making up for lost volume? Some one here could analyze their quaterly results, and I would be the one to do it too; but then again I have NO time...

Given that sales volume is flat year-over-year on higher overhead, I doubt profits are as robust as Ford would have hoped, especially given that they were already anticipating blunted profits to begin with.

The fact that the steepest discounts apply to he highest-end trucks also suggest that ATP aren't higher than previously.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not so bad after all.

It's usually easy to pick holes in.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Thank you drew.

It's such a refreshing change of pace to have mods with an objective viewpoint on ALL news and articles, ready to discuss, instead of condemn as too much of a certain brand by certain folk only.

If by that you mean "why isn't Dequindre here to bail me out of my trolling?" then, yes :D :D :D

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

STOP THE PERSONAL!

Be Professional and let the past go please, TAKE THE HIGH ROAD and Discuss the articles and reasons behind why they are what they are. 

Focus Please as you ALL have so much to offer the forum and yes state your personal belief, take, etc on the article, leave the personal at home.

BACK ON TOPIC:

Ford I fear is up to some very creative accounting and since they did not take help from the GOV to clear their debt load is now hurting more than usual and I think the numbers they are reporting are a bit inflated. As Suaviloquent stated, if you review it in depth, I am sure you could punch holes in how the rebates are being applied, costs, marketing etc. Sadily, this will take more time than I have but I do think something is rotten in Denmark as they idiom says.

• Upvote 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.