Chevrolet News:Rumorpile: Chevrolet Plans A New Crossover Between Equinox and Traverse

Chevrolet is hard at work on a new three-row crossover that will sit in between the Equinox and Traverse according to Automotive News. Speaking with people familiar with the matter, the new crossover will use the short-wheelbase version of the next Chevrolet Traverse's platform. To make room for this model, the Equinox will shrink down and move to a platform that underpins the Chevrolet Cruze.

This move follows the footsteps of other automakers that are expanding to offer four different crossover sizes - ranging from subcompact to full-size.

Now the new Chevrolet crossover will not be the only GM vehicle to use the short-wheelbase Traverse's platform. The upcoming Cadillac XT5 and next-generation GMC Acadia will use this platform as well.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

This is a very smart move on GM's part.

The Equinox is too large and inefficient right now. That combined with the fact that the Traverse is the largest three-row CUV on the market makes this a no-brainer, imo.

Make the Equinox a hair smaller than it is, drop some weight, up the MPG's, and give some modern powerplants, lower the price, and it'd be a good ride. As it stands, idk why the hell so many people buy them.

The only thing I'll say is I think GM is missing a share of the market by not offering a true SUV based on the Colorado's platform.

they'll try to downsize the Equinox and sell it for a higher price.  LOL.   The Equinox sells right now because of the size advantage.  For a lot of folks its the perfect size.  This is money grab by GM. 

And a three row that is smaller than the Traverse?  Again, it sells like it does because of its size.  Maybe GM can find a sweet spot where you get something less of a barge but with the usable third row, but to me what they have now works.    We'll just have to see if they do this right.  I like Ford's setup, the Edge is quite large and the Escape is just enough.

Right now a Trax is $20k, an Equinox $22k, and Traverse $31k.  Downsizing the Equinox I think would make sense, it is bigger than a Rav4 or CR-V.  They could still charge $22k, but that makes the Equinox and Trax really close in rise and price then.  Then you have a 5 seat Equinox at $22k, and a 5 seat short Traverse for $27k?  They are jamming a lot in close together.

I'm sure a new middle crossover will sell well, but will probably cannibalize a lot of sales out of the Equinox and Traverse.

Well first off GM is like most other brands committed to the FWD/RWD. RWD in large volumes would pose a problem for future CAFE and they can make them lighter in FWD based unit body. It has not hurt the Explorer any,

I expect the Nox and Terrain to be smaller but priced about the same in price paid. Lets face it they do offer a $23K model but most are $27-$38 K and the GMC is now just over $40K in Denali trim. The same for the Acadia as it will move to the mid size and hold the price while the new model will be larger and more expensive. I expect the Acadia to be more Explorer sized on a shorter wheel based by just a little. I expect it to be more SUV like in looks vs Minivan like as it is now.

I think we should stop calling them just smaller. The repackaging of the interiors will yield nearly the same room as my Terrain is not packaged well with lots of wasted space. Also the key will be they will be much lighter. I expect at the least 200-300 pounds based on recent weight reductions. the Nox and Terrains are pigs. I know so as I own one. I love the car but it is over 4000 pounds and just flat heavy with an older platform. The new engineering GM is using to cut weight will make a marked difference here with  no risk of losing stiffness. This will open the door to smaller but yet powerful engines and better MPG with similar performance. They are not sports cars so no need for one doing 13's in the quarter mile.

The key will be the increased torque as it will add much to the bottom end and help in MPG. My 2.0 Turbo low end torque makes my HF V6 feel sluggish at take off.

While the mid size model may take from the others it will keep the customers in house. As it is now if you want a model between the Acadia and Terrain now you have to go to Ford or else where.

Same if you want a smaller model as you have to go to Ford , Honda or Nissan.

I think the smaller Nox and Terrain will play well with the market and the mid size will give those still wanting a little larger a place to go with out having to move to the Traverse or Acadia.

This is the money segment and will be moving to the future. GM has a good advantage here as what they have been making has been very popular and profitable. This should increase with options.

It's a large an complicated product portfolio to add new models to, but the platform sharing will definitely pay big dividends. But I don't know if its a good idea to downsize the Equinox. The only thing thats the issue is packaging. The Equinox is larger by a huge amount over others in exterior dimensions, but its total interior volume isn't substantially bigger; in some cases its even smaller than some competitors. 

Though an LTG or LGX and 9 Speed AWD and an Impala level interior in terms of fit and finish could be very exciting for such a mundane yet popular class of vehicle.

RWD doesn't hurt gas mileage or CAFE.  Weight, aerodynamics, gearing, engine efficiency etc. Hurt or help fuel economy.  Case in point by looking at four common 6-cylinders:

RWD BMW 335i gets 21/32 mpg

FWD  Camry gets 21/21 mpg

RWD Charger gets 19/31 mpg

FWD Impala gets  18/28 mpg

I think What GM is planning is a car and crossover off Gamma and Delta, use Epsilon for middle and full size sedan, Lambda for middle and large crossover.  So Chevy gets 8 products out of 4 platforms.

Should be interesting but then does that mean they kill the Trax? Does the Trax become the new SubCompact as the Nox becomes the compact?

Right now a Trax is $20k, an Equinox $22k, and Traverse $31k.  Downsizing the Equinox I think would make sense, it is bigger than a Rav4 or CR-V.  They could still charge $22k, but that makes the Equinox and Trax really close in rise and price then.  Then you have a 5 seat Equinox at $22k, and a 5 seat short Traverse for $27k?  They are jamming a lot in close together.

I'm sure a new middle crossover will sell well, but will probably cannibalize a lot of sales out of the Equinox and Traverse.

An Equinox is NOT 22K. A decent one is 27K. Just like only stripper Traverses are 31K. 36K is about as cheap as you can actually find them, and there's far more 40K+ ones out there.

I like the idea. I'm not sure if it really needs to be three rows because anyting smaller than the Traverse with a third row will be kindof crampy and lose the storage behind the rear seats. When I forst read GM is looking to add an SUV I was expecting something in the middle of the Equinox and Traverse like the Edge is for Ford. Larger, 2 row SUV. A nice middle ground before the 3 row Explorer. But GM is going the other way and a small entry 3 row to bridge the gap to the large 3 row SUV. I like the idea and I'm inrigued as to how it'll look.

Could this also be the next Cadillac SUV that they need?

Edited by ccap41

Should be interesting but then does that mean they kill the Trax? Does the Trax become the new SubCompact as the Nox becomes the compact?

The Trax IS sub-compact, and the Equinox IS compact.

Correct, the only thing muddying up the sizing is that the Equinox is tweener sized. It competes with the CR-V and Escape, but physically is a half-step bigger, that's just the nature of the platform it's built on. That will soon be rectified.

Correct, the only thing muddying up the sizing is that the Equinox is tweener sized. It competes with the CR-V and Escape, but physically is a half-step bigger, that's just the nature of the platform it's built on. That will soon be rectified.

So this new one will also be a tweener most likely? just on the smaler side..

No, the new Equinox will be on a compact platform based on the Cruze, it will be sized directly in line with the class. The new crossover will be midsize like the Edge.

Edited by cp-the-nerd
  • Agree 1

No, the new Equinox will be on a compact platform based on the Cruze, it will be sized directly in line with the class. The new crossover will be midsize like the Edge.

Okay, so what I was originally thinking then. But they will squeeze a third row in there? Or we not really have any information on it and it might just be an option?  

Ps. I love how you can edit out other quotes to keep things cleaner and highlight things to show what you're actually responding to. Okay that was a random thought. I may have to re post this piece. lol

I really so not see where anyone can be unhappy here. They will offer two models that are smaller and will compete head to head in the smaller segments and the two others will compete and fill the gaps for those who want larger and more seats. GM has all the bases covered.

Generally the small vehicles even with two rows are enough. We have never had more than 5 in our Terrain and it is rare you need to carry more than that. If you do generally you own a Tahoe or Traverse.

This third row thing is way over blown. It's like the city busses here. All seats and no passengers.

Wife wouldn't live without the 3rd row, why we have the minivan now, an even bigger 3rd row after the Taurus X..  My logic, the van will get the same or better mpg than some of these smaller crossovers, and it does (albeit without AWD).  We use the third row a lot.  The largeness of it means you can put adults back there too.

I think the Equinox sliding second row is the bomb.  You can haz leg room or return it to the trunk.  You really can use it as a family rig.

You'll see my reader review on the latest Crv in that forum.  My fear is the Equinox is to become that.  A cracker can / POS.  Not that the CRv isn't roomy, it just doesn't feel substantial like the Equinox twins.  

But this new model under the Traverse will probably be a three row Equinox.  Remember the Suzuki XL7?  that was a stretched first gen Equinox (I sold a few of them used).  The third row was optional.  Packaging wise it was not too bad, and it certainly was not as gargantuan as the Traverse.

My Aztek was a Rendezvoux cousin, and the RDV had a third row option.  The packing of those two vehicles were pretty good.

I hope what GM doesn't do here is make a TRIBECA sized 3 row vehicle.........

Trax is a nice size just needs more width / girth.........

I like the idea. I'm not sure if it really needs to be three rows because anyting smaller than the Traverse with a third row will be kindof crampy and lose the storage behind the rear seats. When I forst read GM is looking to add an SUV I was expecting something in the middle of the Equinox and Traverse like the Edge is for Ford. Larger, 2 row SUV. A nice middle ground before the 3 row Explorer. But GM is going the other way and a small entry 3 row to bridge the gap to the large 3 row SUV. I like the idea and I'm inrigued as to how it'll look.

If it is, will it come with a disclamer that if your over 5'8" tall you will not fit? I cannot see a sub-compact or Compact that tall people can fit into that has 3 rows.

Equinox will become Cruze based, share the 1.5 liter turbo as the base, maybe the Malibu's 2.0 turbo optional.  This could be 180 inches long, in line with an Escape and CR-V.

I smell a Trailblazer return for a real mid-size (around 191 inches long) 5-seat crossover.

If it is, will it come with a disclamer that if your over 5'8" tall you will not fit? I cannot see a sub-compact or Compact that tall people can fit into that has 3 rows.
Well in all fairness there aren't many 3rd rows that fit people over 5'8" anyway. But this could still really benefit a young family where they might squeeze extra kids for a few years yet.

Trailblazer name, nice idea.......

the third row thing, is dependent on price, the judgment of it.

The mitsubishi outlander has one and you can buy those for less than 20 grand new.  You are not going to expect it to fit everyone.  A chevy traverse is often north of 40k and at those prices, you damn well better get a third row that fits adults with plenty of room to spare.  Nissan Rogue has a third row, I don't know how useful it is.

I think they could keep the Equinox interior close to the same size, but only shrink the wheelbase 4 inches or so, and the over all length 8 inches or so, better engineering, no v6 and lighter weight more optimized i think they could preserve what makes it so popular.

I saw my first new Pilot this evening (getting dinged up by kids in the school parking lot).  It looks to me they have a nice size for it and Honda has always been able to maximize interior space compared to exterior.  They may have a winner here again finally.  There is a rather large gap in size though between the Pilot and CRv.....

If you want a roomy 3rd row buy this:

transit_retail_1_billboard.jpg

Most of these crossovers never have anybody in the back seat anyway.  They probably could get a small 3rd row into a mid-size SUV, but then who needs a Traverse or Tahoe, when the mid-size SUV has 3 rows.

I really so not see where anyone can be unhappy here. They will offer two models that are smaller and will compete head to head in the smaller segments and the two others will compete and fill the gaps for those who want larger and more seats. GM has all the bases covered.

Generally the small vehicles even with two rows are enough. We have never had more than 5 in our Terrain and it is rare you need to carry more than that. If you do generally you own a Tahoe or Traverse.

This third row thing is way over blown. It's like the city busses here. All seats and no passengers.

Makes me laugh because it's kinda true....reminds of our friends with the mazda 5....

Kinda feel if you really need that 3rd row, you might need a bigger car....

Buick Envision is 183.7 inches long on the D2XX platform, I bet the Equinox moves to that, I think the size could even drop to 180 inches, which is still longer than an Escape or CR-V.

The C1XX platform short wheelbase will be XT5, and new Chevy, and the current Lambda trio moves to long wheelbase C1XX.  Question is does the GMC Terrain move to D2XX or C1XX?  Or does GMC bring back the Envoy as their C1XX, while Terrain goes to D2XX.  Personally I think if Buick is going to have Gamma and D2 crossovers, GMC should get a short wheelbase C1 crossover, while Buick does not, to try to reduce overlap in the showroom.

Most of these crossovers never have anybody in the back seat anyway.  They probably could get a small 3rd row into a mid-size SUV, but then who needs a Traverse or Tahoe, when the mid-size SUV has 3 rows.

haha

actually our taurus X to me had the perfect third row.  Flex / Explorer has the same.  Wife wanted a larger third row, which is why we have the van now.  It gets used and adults can be back there, just as they can in a Traverse.  She had ridden in a coworkers Acadia and said she would have been good with that as well.

I recall folks who had original Honda Pilots saying the third row was good.

I think most families with kids these days want one third row vehicle if they can swing it.  I saw that selling cars.  no third row, no want.  It comes down to how much third row you get for the price.

I wish Ford make an all new Flex.  Not a van, not an SUV.  Flex was just about perfect to me aside from the fact the design is long in the tooth and the interior needs an update badly.  Now that i have had sliding doors and power doors for awhile, they are great for kids and my spouse, but i would be ok with the swing doors on the Flex.  The Flex doors have a piss poor design where the door wraps underneath, subject to corrosion and curb damage.  If ford made a new Flex, something inbetween the size it is now and the size of my van would be perfect.

To be honest, until you check it out the Nissan Quest seems odd and undersize but for people (not cargo) it has a nice three row setup.

Getting back to my point, if a family has one three row vehicle, the Equinox is great as either a first vehicle or a second vehicle because the backseat is commodious and usable, particularly with the sliding feature.  If they lose that from the Equinox its game over.  I would imagine this new crossover will have the sliding second row.

CUVs are becoming the family sedans of the modern era so from that perspective this makes perfect sense. It'll be interesting how they style it-more specifically, if they give it a corporate look, or if they try variations on a styling theme like the new Cruze/Malibu.

Those are as hideous as the MB Vans. Rather have an SUV than a Van but I do acknowledge that they have their place especially in the service industry.

haha

actually our taurus X to me had the perfect third row.  Flex / Explorer has the same.  Wife wanted a larger third row, which is why we have the van now.  It gets used and adults can be back there, just as they can in a Traverse.  She had ridden in a coworkers Acadia and said she would have been good with that as well.

I recall folks who had original Honda Pilots saying the third row was good.

I think most families with kids these days want one third row vehicle if they can swing it.  I saw that selling cars.  no third row, no want.  It comes down to how much third row you get for the price.

I wish Ford make an all new Flex.  Not a van, not an SUV.  Flex was just about perfect to me aside from the fact the design is long in the tooth and the interior needs an update badly.  Now that i have had sliding doors and power doors for awhile, they are great for kids and my spouse, but i would be ok with the swing doors on the Flex.  The Flex doors have a piss poor design where the door wraps underneath, subject to corrosion and curb damage.  If ford made a new Flex, something inbetween the size it is now and the size of my van would be perfect.

To be honest, until you check it out the Nissan Quest seems odd and undersize but for people (not cargo) it has a nice three row setup.

Getting back to my point, if a family has one three row vehicle, the Equinox is great as either a first vehicle or a second vehicle because the backseat is commodious and usable, particularly with the sliding feature.  If they lose that from the Equinox its game over.  I would imagine this new crossover will have the sliding second row.

Flex is a near perfect Station wagon on Steroids. I loved the leg room and ability with the third row. FORD SHOULD keep this model line going and update it. I still see many who want a station wagon on steroids rather than the jelly bean CUVs we see now.

Although I know this will be considered blasphemy in some circles (what with SUVs like the Pathfinder becoming CUVs), it needs the Trailblazer name on it. 

I'd like them to bring back the Trailblazer name as well.

It may seem blasphemy because it will be a FWD/AWD CUV but a body on frame SUV but I think using a name with some recognition behind it will be very beneficial.

Although I know this will be considered blasphemy in some circles (what with SUVs like the Pathfinder becoming CUVs), it needs the Trailblazer name on it. 

It may seem blasphemy because it will be a FWD/AWD CUV but a body on frame SUV but I think using a name with some recognition behind it will be very beneficial.

That it would. I know they weren't much to look at on the inside but my brother still has his '03 and it has been rock solid.

That it would. I know they weren't much to look at on the inside but my brother still has his '03 and it has been rock solid.
My dad had an Envoy(same thing) and the ONLY thing that went was the catalytic converter and I think he got rid of it around 120k. The only thing it didn't do very well at was fuel economy. That wasn't a very good era for SUV fuel economy. His also had the 4.2L I6. I wasn't a huge fan of the engine. It seemed to really need revs to work but that could have also been just the old tech 4spd trans.

My dad had an Envoy(same thing) and the ONLY thing that went was the catalytic converter and I think he got rid of it around 120k. The only thing it didn't do very well at was fuel economy. That wasn't a very good era for SUV fuel economy. His also had the 4.2L I6. I wasn't a huge fan of the engine. It seemed to really need revs to work but that could have also been just the old tech 4spd trans.

It was definitely the tranny on those. My brother's would straight up haul butt with very little gas pedal action. It is a big gas hog though.

It was definitely the tranny on those. My brother's would straight up haul butt with very little gas pedal action. It is a big gas hog though.
Did his have the 4.2 or 5.3? My dad got his the first model year and only offered the 4.2..

The trailblazer was a nice vehicle in Short wheelbase in long it was just silly looking. The I6 was a gas hog and very expensive to build and that is what killed it.

The V8 my neighbors has is not any better on MPG.

I expect the Tahoe will shrink to a model based on the Colorado at some point in the half ton segment. The government is going to hit these hard and they need to lose mass and the smaller size like the Colorado is how they will do it.

The FWD/AWD is what people want today in volume. The Explorer and the GM models have already proven that. While us the enthusiast are not interest so much the general public who are the majority think other wise. You build cars for the market no the whims of the minority of the market. At least if you want money.

No on making a minivan. They are dead horses. We will get a new leaner full size van soon and we will see some smaller vans but they will be like the Fords more tailored for company use.

The moving rear seat in my Terrain sounds like a great idea on paper and in marketing but it is like the paddle shifters on my Malibu. Neat to see at the dealer but you seldom use it. The Terrain seat is set and never moved. Now the reclining rear seat back even though they are airline like in movement is nice and often used.

I agree if you need a third row in a small CUV you really need a bigger vehicle. It is like complaining about the size of a trunk in a Sonic sedan. The issue is the seats in the smaller vehicles fit few people and the ones who do need to be nearly legless. The seat also takes up space for cargo and you have to pull it out to do much with it in most vehicles. the front seats at least fold but many of the rear seats need to be removed.

The Flex for GM.....No. Ford is not really selling a ton and they are not cheap. You can build something that looks like it but make it taller and truck like. People do not want to pay for a truck or the MPG but they want it to look like a truck.

A new Trailblazer would be awesome. I love my AWD SS and while the around town gas mileage sucks, the highway is just fine. Would be nice to have a new trailblazer AWD SS. :P