Wings4Life(BANNED)

Ford F-150 gains new tech-rich Limited flagship for 2016

http://www.cnet.com/news/ford-f-150-gains-tech-rich-top-end-limited-model-for-2016/

The world of pickup trucks has come a long way since the days of bare-bones workhorses, and even today's most basic examples offer a surprising amount of refinement. And while demand for full-size trucks is robust, it's the sales of so-called Cowboy Cadillac premium pickups that are really going bananas. It's a luxury arms race that shows no signs of stopping. The latest salvo? Ford's reborn F-150 Limited. Like other existing models in the segment, this new-for-2016 trim is an "all-boxes-checked" assault on luxury-truck supremacy.

As with the 2013-2014 model-year Limited trim on the last-generation F-150, this top-shelf truck features an expected phalanx of brighter-is-better touches. For 2016, the model-exclusive 22-inch polished alloys, a unique grille finish, bumpers with chrome and body-color elements, and the requisite amount of showy Limited badging. In fact, there's enough flash on display to satisfy your average Cadillac Escalade buyer.

But it's not just a lather of chrome frosting that Ford has chosen to set the Limited apart from lesser F-150s. Indeed, it's not even the interior's unique Mojave premium leather, real fiddleback eucalyptus wood trim (the sort of timber usually reserved for models from Bentley), unique gauge faces or the model's serialized badging. It's the tech.

Ford has consistently positioned its new aluminum-bodied F-150 as an advanced showcase, and this new Limited incorporates just about every bit of tech wizardry the Blue Oval has in its arsenal, including class-exclusives like massaging seats, panoramic moonroof, adaptive cruise control and LED headlamps. An available technology package includes Ford's recently announced dynamic trailer hitch assistant, 360-degree camera system, and lane-keep assist.

The automaker has also confirmed that the F-150 Limited will be among the first models to receive its long-awaited Sync 3, a new BlackBerry QNX-based infotainment architecture designed to supplant its much-maligned MyFordTouch system developed with Microsoft.

635726785472616758-2016-F-150-Limited-Su

2016-ford-f-150-limited-interior-view.jp

635726788060238519-2016-Ford-F-150-Limit

Edited by Wings4Life
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All those premium features are nice, but it's the little things that I find useful, like the tailgate step and tailgate keyfob.  I love the idea of just locking the most commonly stolen item (tailgate) from inside my house/office, without having to go out and check/lock.  The step just makes sense, after all, most who buy a premium truck like this are no longer youthful 25 year old's that can just jump in and out repeatedly. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

From Ford:

NEW TOP-OF-THE-LINE FORD F-150 LIMITED IS MOST ADVANCED, LUXURIOUS F-150 EVER

New Ford F-150 Limited meets the growing needs of discerning truck customers interested in exclusivity, capability and craftsmanship – those looking to differentiate themselves from buyers of other high-series trucks

· Innovation comes standard with new F-150 Limited – including SYNC® 3 with AppLink™, and class exclusive features such as a 360-degree camera system, adaptive cruise control, quad-beam LED headlamps, remote tailgate release and multicontour massaging front seats

· Exclusive exterior and interior design elements include raised LIMITED lettering on the hood, unique custom satin-chrome grille and tailgate, 22-inch wheels, genuine fiddleback eucalyptus, Mojave leather seating surfaces, unique instrument cluster face and laser-engraved VIN plate with production number NEWPORT BEACH, Calif.,

The Limited, a 2016 model, goes on sale this winter.

F-150 Limited surpasses the well-appointed Lariat, the Western-themed King Ranch and contemporary Platinum edition models.  In 1999, the company introduced the special-edition 2000 Harley-Davidson F-150. In 2001, the first King Ranch F-150 arrived. The 2009 F-150 took truck luxury to new heights with the Platinum model, and the first-generation Limited was added with the 2013 model year. Exterior refinements The 2016 Ford F-150 Limited stands out with exclusive 22-inch polished aluminum wheels and raised dimensional LIMITED lettering on the hood, unique grille and satin-finished chrome badge on the tailgate. The chrome front bumper has body-color end caps while the rear bumper is body color; bright belt moldings visually tie the two together. The exterior is further accented by satin-chrome door handles and chrome exhaust tip. Available colors include Shadow Black, Magnetic, Blue Jeans and White Platinum Metallic tri-coat.

Top-tier equipment :

The standard equipment list is a showcase of the best F-150 Limited has to offer to make getting work done easier and with greater comfort. BLIS® with cross-traffic alert, chrome front tow hooks (4x4 only), panoramic vista roof, power-deployable running boards, quad-beam LED headlamps, remote start and tailgate release, as well as an integrated trailer brake controller come standard.

A technology package includes a lane-keeping system, 360-degree camera system and dynamic trailer hitch assist. Interior equipment includes heated and cooled black and Mojave leather front seats that are unique in design and feature Limited badging, 10-way power adjustment and class-exclusive multi-contour massaging. Heated rear seats and SYNC® 3 with AppLink™ are also included.

SYNC 3 is Ford’s newest communications and entertainment system that features enhanced voice recognition, high-speed performance, capacitive touch screen and easier-to-understand graphical interface.3 F-150 Limited also includes a Sony® 10-speaker sound system with HD Radio™, subwoofer and single CD player paired with a five-year subscription to SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link to complete the package. The interior is further differentiated from other F-150 models with a laser-engraved VIN plate on the center console lid including production number. Unique front and rear floor mats, unique instrument cluster face, genuine fiddleback eucalyptus, and aluminum interior accents and unique scuff plates with ice blue backlighting further distinguish the Limited model.

All-new, segment -first Pro Trailer Backup Assist is available that makes it easier for drivers of all skill levels to back a trailer up to launch a boat or park in a driveway. The technology allows customers to steer a trailer instinctively by turning a knob left or right to indicate direction; the truck controls its steering and limits vehicle speed.

If Ford is still using that rickety, damage-prone pull-out tailgate step, they are behind the times.  And just look at that wavy aluminum body in the photo.  LOL

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Is that a trim level, or a description of its sales?

But on a serious note: it's a trim level on a pickup truck. Frankly, it should have debuted with the new model, because there's now a distinct whiff of desperation about the whole business.

Edited by El Kabong
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Interior is cleanly laid out but looks very plasticy to me and the exterior I am not a fan of. The whole limited / Platinum trims on what is just a truck makes me shake my head. They should have done a limited version under the Lincoln name plate with a far better interior. 

Not Impressed at all.

• Upvote 1

If you really want to get all splitting hairs about it, all top-tier tricks share switchgear and some plastics with their more basic cousins. Even my Limited has some trim that has a distinct whiff of cheapness. But it's a small cross to bear.

Based on what your demands are only Cadillac could deliver a true luxury pickup truck. And even then I'd argue for air suspension from the Ram because it's so versatile.

I just think when trucks are pushing 70K, then they need to be in the luxury name plate segment. Lincoln in this case for this truck. I understand the air suspension of the RAM is excellent, but I will take the Magneride Hydraulic suspension in the Escalade and EXT trucks as my choice.

"Yawn"  they can keep it.....  The interior does look plasticy and kind of cheap.  Give me the steps intergrated into the bumpers of GM trucks anyday over that gimmicky step on the Ford. 

• Upvote 1

I just think when trucks are pushing 70K, then they need to be in the luxury name plate segment. Lincoln in this case for this truck. 

I'd disagree.

Many truck buyers want luxury but don't want the ostentatiousness associated with a luxury nameplate. A fully loaded Chevy Avalanche LTZ wasn't much cheaper than an Escalade EXT, yet I've met owners who purposely opted for the Avalanche because they didn't want the 'Escalade image.' 

I just think when trucks are pushing 70K, then they need to be in the luxury name plate segment. Lincoln in this case for this truck. 

I'd disagree.

Many truck buyers want luxury but don't want the ostentatiousness associated with a luxury nameplate. A fully loaded Chevy Avalanche LTZ wasn't much cheaper than an Escalade EXT, yet I've met owners who purposely opted for the Avalanche because they didn't want the 'Escalade image.' 

I can agree with that. I have friends that are basically "opposite badge snobs". They look at the luxury brands and instantly look at them like they know nothing about cars and are just pricks. Having a truck like this while still keeping the true truck name of Ford plays a little middle ground.

I can also see offering it as a Lincoln.. Because luxury.

I think Lincoln should not be selling pickups, period.  Ford is managing premium trucks through high trim names pretty well.  I hated the look of a Lincoln truck, except maybe for the blackwood.  But this Limited is quite the luxury vehicle.

All those premium features are nice, but it's the little things that I find useful, like the tailgate step and tailgate keyfob.  I love the idea of just locking the most commonly stolen item (tailgate) from inside my house/office, without having to go out and check/lock.  The step just makes sense, after all, most who buy a premium truck like this are no longer youthful 25 year old's that can just jump in and out repeatedly. 

Tailgate step - 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche

Tailgate keyfob - 2008 Chevrolet Avalanche (possibly other GM truck models before that year)

• Upvote 1

Tailgate keyfob - 2008 Chevrolet Avalanche (possibly other GM truck models before that year)

Try using one of those tiny little bumper steps with a size 12 boot with ice/snow on bumper.  Not optimal.

And Ford keyfob does not just lock, but lowers as well.....real nice when you have hands full.

Try using one of those tiny little bumper steps with a size 12 boot with ice/snow on bumper.  Not optimal.

And Ford keyfob does not just lock, but lowers as well.....real nice when you have hands full.

Size 11" will have to do... but it works... and it doesn't break.

• Upvote 1

The more I think about my bad back that I have to nurture from time to time, I think I would enjoy those massaging seats for long drives.  Heck, on my way to work even.  360 camara is another class exclusive.  Lots of luxury there for the price, for sure.

Interesting features of the new F150 truck bed, I wonder just how many of them will really last under heavy use. Throw load of dirt, rocks and other garbage in the bed and see how fast they break.

• Upvote 1

Interesting features of the new F150 truck bed, I wonder just how many of them will really last under heavy use. Throw load of dirt, rocks and other garbage in the bed and see how fast they break.

Come on man, not a cool thing to say.

BTW, the Ford truck bed has a much higher load rating.

Edited by Wings4Life

How is it not a cool thing to say, I have found that many features that are added to Truck beds tend to break fast. GM with their hybrid truck while a cool system was stupid to put 110 outlets in the bed. These broke fast for many users who did not pay attention to using the covers to protect them. I can see this with the LED lights in the bed as well as the multi use tie down points and those removable cleats. I am only pointing out that many people see a truck as a tool and tend to be much harder on them in the real world. I will always question features like this in any truck bed.

• Upvote 2

How is it not a cool thing to say, I have found that many features that are added to Truck beds tend to break fast. GM with their hybrid truck while a cool system was stupid to put 110 outlets in the bed. These broke fast for many users who did not pay attention to using the covers to protect them. I can see this with the LED lights in the bed as well as the multi use tie down points and those removable cleats. I am only pointing out that many people see a truck as a tool and tend to be much harder on them in the real world. I will always question features like this in any truck bed.

My bad, I thought you were talking about the bed itself and it’s ability to hold up with loads.

But the step itself is very durable, and if I recall correctly, has a 350lb rating for repeated use.

Carry on

Edited by Wings4Life

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook