Wings4Life(BANNED)

2015 Ford F-150 2.7L EcoBoost vs Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Strict fuel economy regulations are forcing automakers to make big changes, and some of the biggest have come to pickup trucks.

These typically thirsty workhorses are being taught to be more efficient and each automaker is taking a different approach at addressing the problem.

Ram went the diesel route, opting for a 3.0-liter unit, hooked up to an eight-speed transmission, the latter of which is available with all of this truck’s engines. With four-wheel drive, the 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is rated to return a combined average of 22 mpg while getting 19 mpg city and 27 on the highway.

Ford, on the other hand, answered the fuel economy question with EcoBoost, which has been Ford’s answer for just about every question in the past few years. The 2015 F-150 now sports a 2.7-liter turbocharged V6 to help it save gas. And as you’ve probably heard, it also has an all-aluminum body, helping it shed weight to cut down on fuel used.

That brings the official rating to 20 mpg combined for this rig, breaking down to 18 mpg city and 23 mpg highway.

The trucks take two very different approaches and drive very differently, but which one delivers the most savings while still being a hard worker?

Heavy vs. Light

The first and most staunch difference you’ll notice is that the Ram drives heavy and the F-150 drives light. The Ram is a whopping 750 lbs heavier than the F-150, with a curb weight of 5,611 lbs compared to the F-150’s 4,806 lbs. But I’m not just talking about the actual pounds here. The steering is heavy, the steering wheel is big and thick, and the hood bulges and makes the nose feel like it’s far away from the low driving position.

If the sensation of driving a big rig is what you’re looking for, then the Ram 1500 will deliver.

And that diesel power only adds to the feeling. As expected, you’ve got good torque down low, while the eight smooth-shifting forward speeds help keep you in the power band when the rpms climb.

Diesel rumble is definitely pronounced in this truck, but it sounds good and isn’t so loud as to be grating, at least to me, a guy who loves a good ol’ diesel rumble.

On the opposite end of the driving spectrum, we have the new F-150. Steering inputs take no effort at all, thanks to a light setup, complemented by suspension that makes this truck fairly nimble in the corners. Unlike the Ram that likes to push wide through every corner, the F-150 actually feels like it tucks in nicely and wants you to turn it further into the apex.

Ford’s new 2.7-liter EcoBoost is a great little motor for this truck, too. Off the line, the truck takes off and pulls right through to 6,000 rpm, feeling way more powerful than its numbers suggest.

How Do They Tow?

I hitched just under 5,000 lbs worth of trailer to the back of each truck after cruising empty, just to make sure these machines knew what an honest day’s work was like.

While this didn’t have either truck flinching, some of the differences became a little more pronounced.

The heavy-set nature of the Ram keeps the truck rooted to the ground like an oak tree, while the F-150’s light nature makes it feel more like a sapling in the wind. The Ford’s steering is easy to use and isn’t so bad as to make the truck feel dangerous, but the Ram’s more direct, heavy setup feels better when hauling weight. It communicates more to the driver, while the F-150’s wheel keeps you fairly isolated.

Ride quality is also better in the Ram, most of which can probably be attributed to the four-corner air suspension that also acts as an equalizing hitch because it is self leveling. When the back end lifts up, it helps to spread the weight around all four wheels.

Let me reiterate that neither truck felt sketchy, as each was well below its posted towing limit. The F-150, however, was definitely more unsettled than the Ram and the Ram made me feel more confident.

Trucks Built to Work

While I am an unabashed fan of the Ram’s interior, and its overall look, I have to give credit to Ford for coming up with a very functional layout. While I still think the Ram has more style, the F-150 definitely packs in the features.

It’s these small features that make the F-150 such a great truck to work with, day in and day out, because each one saves you time and effort, important aspects of working with your truck every day. This is especially true if you’re in business for yourself, where time really is money.

The trailer light check system makes towing a breeze, the spotlights on the mirrors come in handy in the dark, and the bed step on the back is still the best in the business. It has been made even easier to use on the 2015 truck, too. Ram hasn’t caught on to this trend yet, offering no step whatsoever.

Out back, Ford’s new BoxLink system is a genius way to allow bed customization, offering a number of accessories that can be easily slotted into the open receptacles once the tie-down cleat is removed. In-bed LED lights are also available on the truck, controlled by a rubber button mounted in the box, another simple solution that makes this truck a working man’s best friend — you save time by not having to go back to the cabin to find the light switch.

A massive flat loading floor in the F-150 also makes things incredibly convenient. Ram came up with a solution to this problem by installing flat panels that fold out to create a flat floor, but they don’t feel very sturdy. It also adds an extra obstacle to deal with if you’re loading things into the back seat.

More than any other half-ton truck, this F-150 will save you time and hassle thanks to its very smart, work-oriented features.

Eco vs Eco

Let’s get to the most important part of the story: fuel economy. I took both trucks on an identical drive loop, with and without the trailer to figure out their real-world fuel economy.

When running empty over a roughly 40-mile loop that consisted of country roads with plenty of stop signs, I managed an 18 mpg average in the F-150, while getting a pretty impressive 26 mpg in the EcoDiesel.

Those numbers by themselves tell you a big part of the story, but it’s also worth mentioning that the EcoDiesel returns stellar fuel numbers without even trying, while the F-150 needs some coaxing and babying to make sure it doesn’t consume too much gas.

Cruising on the highway, we saw the EcoBoost deliver up to 24 mpg, while the Ram would sit around ...

More at...

http://www.autoguide.com/car-comparisons/2015-ford-f-150-2-7l-ecoboost-vs-ram-1500-ecodiesel

My takeaway,

Both great trucks doing work, but for daily usefulness and features that make your life easier, Ford wins of course.  And it is more deft on it’s feet.

EcoDiesel wins the mpg metric award, which may or may not pay dividends, depending on how long you keep it.

Me, I would take the D35 with 150% of the capability and about 90% of the frugality.

My EcoDiesel weighs 6220lbs fully tanked up with an aftermarket tonneau.

I still cannot get it to average worse than 10.8L/100km (21.8mpg) in stop and go traffic. Give it a bit of running on expressways and it dips to as low as 9.3 (25.3mpg). And yes, those are US gallons. Factor in the odd extended highway driving and diesel's current price advantage of about 15% and even with the added mass I'm grinning.

• Upvote 1

So if you're looking for a truck, get the Ram. If you're looking for a car that looks like a truck, get the Ford. Got it.

• Upvote 2

My takeaway,

Both great trucks doing work, but for daily usefulness and features that make your life easier, Ford wins of course.  And it is more deft on it’s feet.

EcoDiesel wins the mpg metric award, which may or may not pay dividends, depending on how long you keep it.

Me, I would take the D35 with 150% of the capability and about 90% of the frugality.

Lmao, this guy. SMH

• Upvote 1

So if you're looking for a truck, get the Ram. If you're looking for a car that looks like a truck, get the Ford. Got it.

I keep hearing about the F-Series' choppy ride. Might not be such a good car either. Did I mention I'm riding on air springs?

I keep hearing about the F-Series' choppy ride. Might not be such a good car either. Did I mention I'm riding on air springs?

hahaha

• Upvote 1

In all seriousness, it was a pretty good read.

I wish they would have concluded with where they were going with the costs to get a break even number whether it be time or costs.

I know it isn't either of these trucks but I'll fill in my first real experience with a diesel truck. This past weekend we had our anual "Bro Float" and we rent one big-ass van and then somebody else usually takes a truck for extra storage. Well my buddy recently bought a 2010 Ram 2500 with the Cummins 6.6 and a 6spd(he works on farms and actually uses the truck for what it's made for - the day before he was towing 20,000lbs). That engine was an absolute monster at any speed. My friend is a very conservative driver like myself and our 200 mile(one way) trip on the interstate and through mountains we got 19.2mpg - round trip. I don't know what the tow package had but that thing was geared super low. 70mph on the interstate was turning nearly 2500rpm in 6th. He actually would start in 3rd 90% of the time because 1st is for those 20,000lb loads and second was just as short. 3rd gear ever bogged it down once nor was he slipping the clutch for an hour. Also where we filled up at diesel was only $2.25/gallon!!

Okay, sorry for the off topic-ness. I guess I should put this in the ole Random Thoughts, shouldn't I?

How much does the Ram's car like suspension limit it's towing/hauling ability, I wonder.

You talking about at the limit? Because they said it felt a little more secured and glued down than the F150.

• Upvote 3

Well wings, I believe mine is rated for a bit shy of four tons. Which is enough for most, myself included.

Maybe if you had an eight-speed transmission and a bit more displacement to match my three whole litres (Yeesh) you'd have a better PR blurb.

Edited by El Kabong

In all seriousness, it was a pretty good read.

I wish they would have concluded with where they were going with the costs to get a break even number whether it be time or costs.

I know it isn't either of these trucks but I'll fill in my first real experience with a diesel truck. This past weekend we had our anual "Bro Float" and we rent one big-ass van and then somebody else usually takes a truck for extra storage. Well my buddy recently bought a 2010 Ram 2500 with the Cummins 6.6 and a 6spd(he works on farms and actually uses the truck for what it's made for - the day before he was towing 20,000lbs). That engine was an absolute monster at any speed. My friend is a very conservative driver like myself and our 200 mile(one way) trip on the interstate and through mountains we got 19.2mpg - round trip. I don't know what the tow package had but that thing was geared super low. 70mph on the interstate was turning nearly 2500rpm in 6th. He actually would start in 3rd 90% of the time because 1st is for those 20,000lb loads and second was just as short. 3rd gear ever bogged it down once nor was he slipping the clutch for an hour. Also where we filled up at diesel was only $2.25/gallon!!

Okay, sorry for the off topic-ness. I guess I should put this in the ole Random Thoughts, shouldn't I?

How much does the Ram's car like suspension limit it's towing/hauling ability, I wonder.

You talking about at the limit? Because they said it felt a little more secured and glued down than the F150.

750 additional lbs will give you a bit more of a planted feel when towing.

So much for "F150 weiging same as competition " though.

And yeah, Rosanne Barr would probably give me a bit less guilt when I strap that farm plow on her at the end of every season.

Of course, I am no so sure I want her riding shot-gun the rest of the time :(

Edited by Wings4Life

Uh... The Ford does weigh as much as the competition. In case you haven't forgotten, GM is who they're trying to catch.

I'm sorry your truck isn't selling well. Perhaps if the engineers had been on the ball it would have weighed less and gotten better mileage. Course, if they're not bright enough to tune rear leaf springs then it's probably for the best they set their sights low.

Edited by El Kabong

Uh... The Ford does weigh as much as the competition. In case you haven't forgotten, GM is who they're trying to catch.

I'm sorry your truck isn't selling well. Perhaps if the engineers had been on the ball it would have weighed less and gotten better mileage. Course, if they're not bright enough to tune rear leaf springs then it's probably for the best they set their sights low.

I'm pretty sure any comparison I've read the Ford has weighed less than the competition. Whether by a pound or a ton, it weighs less. And it still held it's own in all of the performance metrics with its older driveline. I don't see how that is a failure, but I'm sure you'll find a way to make it sound like one.

Regardless, I REALLY want to drive both of these engines. I've heard fantasatic things about the 2.7 and fantastic things about the 3.0. I'd love to be able to spend a day driving each just to see what they're really like.

Edited by ccap41
  • Upvote 1

Ram can't keep up with diesel sales, yet Ford has been offering rebates specifically on 2.7 EB trucks for months now (and those rebates have expanded to scary levels for a such a new truck).  The lots are overrun with F-150s, along with those rebates, yet Ford and Wings still try to feed us that load of BS about productions still not being at full capacity and frame shortages.  Maybe the recycle the frames of the 10s of thousands setting on dealer's lots to build a truck people want?  Yes, the F-10is still super popular, but I wonder how much is to fleets where Ford has certainly piled on the cash to an even greater extent than the rebates available to regular consumers. 

• Upvote 1

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that I would never get the EcoDiesel. I'm not really swayed by either "Eco" engines. 

Either 3.6 PentaStar (capable and affordable enough), Coyote 5.0 (Proven, simple, perhaps old, but in a good way) or EcoTec3 5.3 (the best middle ground engine option).

In terms of the test, I think it was pretty fair. I can have myself experienced why the F150 is a better work implement, but Ram definitely makes a truck that's a better all rounder.

I'd get the F150 Lariat Sport appearance package with actually the 3.5 EcoBoost (if I'm spending over $50k on a personal truck I might as well forget about FE and just get the boost)

or if I wanted a value filled option barebones RAM Outdoorsman with PentaStar.

It would be hard for me to forgo the Hemi because I like that engine so much.... but if I did, I would go with the EcoDiesel.   The Ford trucks don't attract me visually at all and haven't for a while.  I've only been "eh" about the GM twins (prefer the GMC) till the very recent refresh pictures got released.  Now I really like both of them... but the Ram is still my favorite. 

To clarify: I didn't buy the EcoDiesel for the "Eco" part. I bought it as a calculated risk/science experiment/long-term ownership experience. Which is a roundabout way of saying that I regard it as an Alberta grocery getter/highway Cadillac that gets sweet fuel economy regardless. I DON'T need it to burn away from stoplights, I don't need it for extreme towing (although it may well be hauling a twin-axle camper someday). Your needs may vary. But for me? It's been perfect so far.

The Verdict: 2015 Ford F-150 2.7L EcoBoost vs Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

The new F-150 has many helpful, usable features that make it an ideal work partner. But when it comes to the big stuff, namely driving dynamics and fuel economy, it can’t match up to the 2015 Ram EcoDiesel.

The new F-150 has many helpful, usable features that make it an ideal work partner. But when it comes to the big stuff, namely driving dynamics and fuel economy, it can’t match up to the 2015 Ram EcoDiesel.

I think the driving dynamics (quicker accel, better handling, quicker turn-in, braking, etc.) goes to the Ford.

I think the driving dynamics (quicker accel, better handling, quicker turn-in, braking, etc.) goes to the Ford.

That is a direct copy and paste from the article you posted here.  happen to read over that did we?

• Upvote 2

In terms of driving dynamics it's hard to see where air springs or coil-overs aren't as good as rear leafs as well.

I made my choice...2015 Ram Sport. The HEMI is well worth it.

Oh. Up here they still have six-speeds on some trim levels. Good stuff! I just saw my first '16 Ram on the road yesterday. Turns out the fish grille IS that ugly :(

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook