William Maley

Chevy Truck News:2016 Chevrolet Colorado Duramax Tows 7,770 Pounds, Starts At $31,715

We have been waiting a long time for numbers to be released on Chevrolet Colorado Duramax Diesel and Chevrolet has released some of those numbers today.

Let us begin with power ratings. The 2.8L Duramax turbodiesel four-cylinder will pack 181 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque. This engine will come with a six-speed automatic and automatic-locking rear differential as standard equipment.

Next is tow ratings. The Colorado Duramax can tow up to 7,770 pounds for the two-wheel drive model, while the four-wheel drive model sees its tow rating drop to around 7,600 pounds. All Duramax equipped models get the Z82 trailering package as standard.

One item that Chevrolet hasn't revealed at this time is fuel economy numbers.

As for pricing, the Duramax option will only be available on the LT and Z71 Crew Cabs and carry a $3,730 premium. That means the base price for the Colorado Duramax will be $31,715.

Source: Chevrolet

Press Release is on Page 2

Click here to view the article
  • Upvote 1

Very cool and a solid package. This should sell like crazy for GM. Bet you see upgrade performance packages from XtremeDiesel, Bullydog and Banks in the next 12-18 months.

Pricing is fantastic! This midsize truck keeps getting better, it's going to be a very attractive truck option for families on a budget with moderate towing needs. With the fuel economy they're going to post, it's just as good as a daily driver too.

Edited by cp-the-nerd

I am surprised the horsepower isn't more like 220-230.  Torque seems about right, although some 3.0 diesels are making 425 lb-ft.

I was quite afraid the price to the diesel club was going to be more significant than that considering the 6.6 adds so much to the price of a 2500. still curious what it would look like on the "build" page by the time you throw some options on it. It definitely puts the colorado out in front of the segment's capability department. of course with all that power comes great responsibility... i've already read comments about how it only tows 700lbs more than the v6... i guess they forget the whole frame rating and all. just cause the powertrain can handle it, doesnt mean the rest of the truck can...

oh yeah and dont forget the engine assisted braking! it would be so much fun to j brake beside someone and scare the crap out of them. im sure the system will be almost undetectable though.

I am surprised the horsepower isn't more like 220-230.  Torque seems about right, although some 3.0 diesels are making 425 lb-ft.

Those 3.0s are V6s too so that is where the difference comes from. This is plenty for this truck and it will sell like hotcakes.

• Upvote 1

GM is just hitting it out of the park in this segment. The diesel pricing is about as good as you can realistically get.

Agreed. I am not diesel fan but this is a real game changer in the mid size game for Chevy, a move they never would have even considered ten years ago.

This is gonna be awesome, with a few caveats...

No extended cab diesel

No base trim diesel (I would think fleets would eat this up!)

No chassis-cab diesel (a little flatbed or dump truck would be adorable.)

After owning a VW TDi before this Colorado, I was very intrigued by the baby Duramax in these trucks.  And although I celebrate this development, I am glad I did not wait.

Now, a WT extended cab 4X4 with appearance and convenience packages, and a stickshift with the diesel?  I would have kicked myself.

As it is, I am routinely getting better mileage than the ratings suggested.  I can buy a good bit of gasoline for $3730, even premium, which I am using.

• Upvote 1

No extended cab diesel

After owning a VW TDi before this Colorado, I was very intrigued by the baby Duramax in these trucks.  And although I celebrate this development, I am glad I did not wait.

Now, a WT extended cab 4X4 with appearance and convenience packages, and a stickshift with the diesel?  I would have kicked myself.

As it is, I am routinely getting better mileage than the ratings suggested.  I can buy a good bit of gasoline for $3730, even premium, which I am using.

Agree this needs to be fleet for businesses as well.....

No extended cab diesel

Think about exceeding the mileage ratings in this when they come out, like most diesels do.. That'd probably be in the..31..mpg highway range? Just trying to compare to the 3/0 from Ram which is rated at 29mpg highway. Maybe this little Duramax can hit 32-33mpg cruising at reasonable speeds.

Agreed that the premium for a diesel make the break even point quite a few miles/years to where it really isn't worth it unless you're putting some serious miles in annually.

A Mercedes 2.1 liter diesel  makes 201 hp and 369 lb-ft.   So I just thought they'd get a big more power out of 2.8 liters.  Although I'd wonder if GM could have got the same power from a 2.4 liter diesel, rather than the 2.8 and maybe gotten a little more in the fuel economy dept.

No extended cab diesel

Think about exceeding the mileage ratings in this when they come out, like most diesels do.. That'd probably be in the..31..mpg highway range? Just trying to compare to the 3/0 from Ram which is rated at 29mpg highway. Maybe this little Duramax can hit 32-33mpg cruising at reasonable speeds.

Agreed that the premium for a diesel make the break even point quite a few miles/years to where it really isn't worth it unless you're putting some serious miles in annually.

I disagree with the break-even logic. You can drive the truck till the wheels fall off and reap tons of benefits of higher lifetime fuel economy...OR you can sell it and get back a chunk of the money because the diesel is worth more. It's not like the $3730 extra just evaporates when you drive the truck off the lot, waiting for gas benefits to cancel it out.

• Upvote 1

I still maintain that you buy to a price limit. Someone getting a $31k Colorado diesel would have spent $31k on something else. The difference is the options they were willing to trade off to get the diesel instead. In that case, you reap the benefits of fuel economy immediately.

Seriously who is car shopping like "Hmm, my budget is $27,000. Unless it's a diesel, then my budget is $31,000 because I'll make back that money."

I dunno man... maybe I'm just really fortunate in my life but if I see something I like that'll only bump my payment 10% I'll usually find a way to make it work. It might mean living with basic cable, or eating the odd bowl of Kraft Dinner... ok, not Kraft Dinner.

Edited by El Kabong

In my area right now diesel is cheaper than premium gas.  It is priced about where 89 octane is, so on that front the diesel fuel pricing is good, so the increased fuel economy will pay back more quickly.

Secondly, diesels hold value.  People know diesels run forever, so I bet 5 years from now a Colorado diesel with 100k miles sells for $4,000 more than a Colorado V6 with 100k miles.

No extended cab diesel

I disagree with the break-even logic. You can drive the truck till the wheels fall off and reap tons of benefits of higher lifetime fuel economy...OR you can sell it and get back a chunk of the money because the diesel is worth more. It's not like the $3730 extra just evaporates when you drive the truck off the lot, waiting for gas benefits to cancel it out.

You are correct in if you own it will the wheels fall off, without a doubt. I guess I was just assuming(which we know what that does..) that most don't keep their vehicles that long.

I just don't like the selling part as part of the investment. I realize that a higher resale value is definitely a part of the equation..I just don't like it.. It "feels" weird. A lot of your return is only when you sell it. Unless you're keeping it forever then it is diesel reliability and fuel economy.

That's kinda the thing: if you pay a premium for a feature, it usually help with trade in, regardless of what it is.

It definitely does and even moreso when it is an engine option.

I still maintain that you buy to a price limit. Someone getting a $31k Colorado diesel would have spent $31k on something else. The difference is the options they were willing to trade off to get the diesel instead. In that case, you reap the benefits of fuel economy immediately.

Seriously who is car shopping like "Hmm, my budget is $27,000. Unless it's a diesel, then my budget is $31,000 because I'll make back that money."

That's a very good point, actually. That's usually my starting point when purchasing a vehicle. And if need be there can be some massaging of numbers..

The $3700 price for the diesel option is a fair amount of options to be giving up.. You can go fro an LT to a Z71, add the 3.6L, and a spray in bedliner..

Or stay with the LT and add the "convenience package" and "luxury package" and then the ped protection thing which gives you a bed liner and tonneu cover.. Just other choices..

That is a much better base price that what C&D was guessing.  If they would offer it in the extended cab Z1, i would find a way lol.

That is only the 2wd price though.. add ~$5200 for a 4wd model.

Jeez. Why is 4wd/awd such an expensive option on vehicles?!?

I built the Colorado Crew Cab 4WD, checking only the Z71 and exterior convenience boxes, and the price was about $36.1K.  There was no Diesel option at the time, which would take the price to about $40K.

I do like the choice GM is offering (and I hear Ford is seriously considering) of a smaller truck, but that makes no value sense to me in the slightest.

I built the Colorado Crew Cab 4WD, checking only the Z71 and exterior convenience boxes, and the price was about $36.1K.  There was no Diesel option at the time, which would take the price to about $40K.

I do like the choice GM is offering (and I hear Ford is seriously considering) of a smaller truck, but that makes no value sense to me in the slightest.

Well that is about fully loaded though.. There isn't a whole lot to add to the Z71, I don't think at least.

Well that is about fully loaded though.. There isn't a whole lot to add to the Z71, I don't think at least.

You can take the Z to over $50K.  There was a gazillion boxes I could check.  It was a base Z71 model.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. K.C.
      K.C.
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      About a month ago, we reported on a California Air Resources Board (CARB) document that revealed the 2019 Camaro could be getting a seven-speed manual for the 6.2L V8. At the time, speculation was that the manual transmission could come from the Corvette. But it appears this dream has been popped.
      Last week, Bozi Tatarevic on Twitter uncovered that the document listing the seven-speed manual for the Camaro was marked as a canceled. A new document uploaded on the same day shows the 'Trans Type' being a six-speed manual and 10-speed automatic. CarBuzz speculates that the seven-speed transmission has been pushed back to 2020. Our guesses as to why GM pulled the seven-speed off the CARB document could either be that GM ran into issues with fitting the Corvette's seven-speed in the Camaro - the transmission mounts on the rear-axle in the Corvette while the Camaro mounts it at the engine. There could also be the issue of transmission being slightly too expensive for the Camaro.
      Source: hoonable on Twitter, (2), CarBuzz

View full article
    • By William Maley
      About a month ago, we reported on a California Air Resources Board (CARB) document that revealed the 2019 Camaro could be getting a seven-speed manual for the 6.2L V8. At the time, speculation was that the manual transmission could come from the Corvette. But it appears this dream has been popped.
      Last week, Bozi Tatarevic on Twitter uncovered that the document listing the seven-speed manual for the Camaro was marked as a canceled. A new document uploaded on the same day shows the 'Trans Type' being a six-speed manual and 10-speed automatic. CarBuzz speculates that the seven-speed transmission has been pushed back to 2020. Our guesses as to why GM pulled the seven-speed off the CARB document could either be that GM ran into issues with fitting the Corvette's seven-speed in the Camaro - the transmission mounts on the rear-axle in the Corvette while the Camaro mounts it at the engine. There could also be the issue of transmission being slightly too expensive for the Camaro.
      Source: hoonable on Twitter, (2), CarBuzz

• By William Maley
      Tesla's production hell seems to be only getting worse than better. Various issues at their Freemont plant has caused the automaker to push back their goal of producing 5,000 Model 3s from late last year to June of this year. This, in turn, has caused some holders of Model 3 reservations to have their order pushed back to 2019.
      “As we work hard to meet demand, we wanted to let you know that your estimated delivery timing has been adjusted to a slightly later window,” Tesla said in an email to customers.
      According to Bloomberg, the new date depends on when the reservation was placed and what model was chosen. Tesla is trying to get the more expensive long-range battery model out first before starting production of the cheaper standard battery model. This has buyers of the latter model worried as they might not get the full $7,500 tax credit. The credit begins to phase out once an automaker has built 200,000, something Tesla expects to hit sometime this year.
      The move has caused some reservation holders to take to various forums and Twitter to complain. Others are deciding to jump ship and buy a Chevrolet Bolt. Reuters reports that Chevrolet dealers in California are seeing a noticeable increase of Tesla shoppers interested in the Bolt.
      “We’re getting the Tesla people who wanted their Model 3. We ask them, ‘What other cars are you interested in?’ They’re mostly Tesla. But they want the car now. They don’t want to wait,” said Yev Kaplinskiy of Stewart Chevrolet.
      Kaplinskiy said they sold 15 Bolts last weekend.
      Chevrolet is taking advantage of the delay by emailing some prospective buyers this week with the message of, “Bolt EV: Now available.”
      Source: Bloomberg, Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Tesla's production hell seems to be only getting worse than better. Various issues at their Freemont plant has caused the automaker to push back their goal of producing 5,000 Model 3s from late last year to June of this year. This, in turn, has caused some holders of Model 3 reservations to have their order pushed back to 2019.
      “As we work hard to meet demand, we wanted to let you know that your estimated delivery timing has been adjusted to a slightly later window,” Tesla said in an email to customers.
      According to Bloomberg, the new date depends on when the reservation was placed and what model was chosen. Tesla is trying to get the more expensive long-range battery model out first before starting production of the cheaper standard battery model. This has buyers of the latter model worried as they might not get the full $7,500 tax credit. The credit begins to phase out once an automaker has built 200,000, something Tesla expects to hit sometime this year.
      The move has caused some reservation holders to take to various forums and Twitter to complain. Others are deciding to jump ship and buy a Chevrolet Bolt. Reuters reports that Chevrolet dealers in California are seeing a noticeable increase of Tesla shoppers interested in the Bolt.
      “We’re getting the Tesla people who wanted their Model 3. We ask them, ‘What other cars are you interested in?’ They’re mostly Tesla. But they want the car now. They don’t want to wait,” said Yev Kaplinskiy of Stewart Chevrolet.
      Kaplinskiy said they sold 15 Bolts last weekend.
      Chevrolet is taking advantage of the delay by emailing some prospective buyers this week with the message of, “Bolt EV: Now available.”
      Source: Bloomberg, Reuters
    • By William Maley
      It has been a long wait for those wanting the high-performance Stelvio Quadrifoglio to arrive at their nearest Alfa Romeo dealer. But they won't be waiting too much longer as Alfa Romeo has revealed that the Stelvio Quadrifoglio will be arriving soon and come with a base price of $81,590 (including $1,595 for destination). Ouch. This is about $6,000 more than the Giulia Quadrifoglio.
      For the large sum of cash, you are getting a lot of performance. Under the hood is a twin-turbo 2.9L V6 with 505 horsepower and 443 pound-feet of torque. Paired with an eight-speed automatic and rear-biased AWD system, the Stelvio Quadrifoglio will hit 60 mph in 3.9 seconds and reach a top speed of 176 mph.
      Standard equipment includes a set of six-piston Brembo brakes, adaptive dampers, torque vectoring differential, leather-wrapped dash and door panels, carbon fiber trim, Alcantara upholstery, and 14-way power seats.
      “We specifically crafted the Stelvio Quadrifoglio to truly set itself apart among high-performance vehicles and it does not disappoint – whether being driven on the Nürburgring or on roads across North America. Equipped with the most powerful Alfa Romeo engine ever and our advanced Q4 all-wheel-drive system, the Stelvio Quadrifoglio roars to life with an exhilarating driving experience,” said Tim Kuniskis, Head of Alfa Romeo.
      Source: Alfa Romeo
      Press Release is on Page 2

Alfa Romeo Announces Pricing for All-new 2018 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
      World’s Fastest Production SUV Starts at $79,995 MSRP Stelvio Quadrifoglio continues to highlight Alfa Romeo’s performance expertise with best-in-class 505 horsepower and segment-leading V-6 torque, powering it from 0-60 mph in an estimated 3.9 seconds with a top speed of 176 mph State-of-the-art technologies, including torque vectoring differential, Alfa DNA Pro drive mode selector with RACE mode, the most direct steering available and all-aluminum column-mounted paddle shifters maximize the driving experience in the all-new Stelvio Quadrifoglio Paired for the first time with Alfa Romeo’s most powerful production engine ever – the innovative Q4 all-wheel-drive (AWD) system in the Stelvio Quadrifoglio takes premium mid-size SUV performance to new heights Stelvio Quadrifoglio lapped Nürburgring in record 7 minutes 51.7 seconds, the fastest time ever posted by a production SUV making it the fastest production SUV in the world February 15, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Alfa Romeo today announced pricing for the highly anticipated 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $79,995.

“We specifically crafted the Stelvio Quadrifoglio to truly set itself apart among high-performance vehicles and it does not disappoint – whether being driven on the Nürburgring or on roads across North America,” said Tim Kuniskis, Head of Alfa Romeo. “Equipped with the most powerful Alfa Romeo engine ever and our advanced Q4 all-wheel-drive system, the Stelvio Quadrifoglio roars to life with an exhilarating driving experience.”

Crafted by Alfa Romeo artisans at the Cassino plant in Italy, the all-new 2018 Stelvio Quadrifoglio is a testament to Alfa Romeo’s perfect balance of engineering and emotion, creating a premium mid-size SUV for driving enthusiasts that stands out in one of the largest and fastest growing segments in the U.S.
      2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio
      MSRP for the 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio is $79,995 (excluding $1,595 destination) Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio features an all-aluminum, direction-injection 2.9-liter twin-turbocharged V-6 engine that generates a class-leading 505 horsepower Designed to optimize the lightweight Alfa Romeo architecture, the all-aluminum 2.9-liter V-6 twin-turbocharged engine features a compact 90-degree layout and was holistically designed for a low center of gravity within the chassis Paired to an eight-speed automatic transmission, Stelvio Quadrifoglio launches from 0-60 mph in an estimated 3.9 seconds with a top speed of 176 mph In addition to best-in-class horsepower, the Stelvio Quadrifoglio features segment-leading V-6 torque (443 lb.-ft.) and the most horsepower per liter in its class Features the iconic hand-painted Quadrifoglio (four-leaf clover) badge that is symbolic of legendary Alfa Romeo race cars and high-performance production vehicles Stelvio Quadrifoglio lapped the Nürburgring in a record time 7 minutes 51.7 seconds, the fastest time ever posted by a production SUV Stelvio Quadrifoglio also features a class-exclusive carbon fiber driveshaft and the most direct steering available Advanced technology features unique to the Stelvio Quadrifoglio include torque vectoring differential, a four-mode Alfa DNA Pro selector with Race mode and a Quadrifoglio-tuned adaptive suspension Includes a Quadrifoglio instrument cluster with 200-mph speedometer and cylinder deactivation system to maximize fuel efficiency Stelvio Quadrifoglio also includes unique exterior styling, rear spoiler and side sill insert, DNA Pro drive mode selector with Race mode and adjustable adaptive damping performance suspension, 20-inch aluminum wheels with massive, 6-piston Brembo front brakes, aggressively bolstered Alcantara leather seating surfaces with 14-way power front seats including 4-way lumbar, leather-wrapped dash and doors with accent stitching, genuine carbon fiber interior trim and much more  Ultra-high-performance options for Stelvio Quadrifoglio include:
      Ultra-lightweight carbon fiber shell Sparco racing seats, providing maximum lateral support during extreme cornering thanks to more aggressive bolstering, and designed to be the lightest in the segment, while providing comfort for long road trips  Ultra-high-performance Brembo carbon-ceramic material (CCM) brake system  The Stelvio Quadrifoglio brings world-class performance, state-of-the-art technologies, seductive Italian style and an exhilarating driving experience to the premium mid-size SUV segment. With the all-new 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio, where other SUVs stop at utility, Alfa Romeo took on the challenge to create the perfect mix of high performance, capability and design.

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook