Wings4Life(BANNED)

Watch Ford GT at the Track

I watched this the other day. I love this car. The rear diffuser on the race version looks stupid but I understand..100% purpose made.

The car they are running does not have the new 3.5L, because it is not ready yet.  This must be the current 3.5L modifed for IMSA, which is around 600hp.  I wonder what the upgrade will yield with similar upgrades.

Wouldn't the new one weigh something different? I would think even 5-10lbs would matter with a suspension setup designed for track use. Buuuut, they're the engineers. Not me.

Wouldn't the new one weigh something different? I would think even 5-10lbs would matter with a suspension setup designed for track use. Buuuut, they're the engineers. Not me.

New one? You mean, the new engine?  I can't imagine a huge weight change in the major components, like block and heads and crank, etc.  They will have integrated exhaust, so yeah, that is about a 10lb savings per bank.  So 20 lbs lighter, at least.

I know it's gonna be a spectacular race car.

Now I know that flying buttresses aren't options yet for Fusions and Explorers; but with Dave Pericak talking about lessons learned about aerodynamics; I'd wonder if future Ford mass market vehicles will adopt some GT like cues.

Enough to get a little bit more resemblance, notwithstanding the branding for the EcoBoost engines; but not too much to ruin the bespoke nature of the GT.

Arguably a Mustang would make sense on paper for some styling departures; but then again, a Mustang has to look like a Mustang. We're seeing it around the industry. Styling and the way automakers get aero improvements while being within an existing styling philosophy is maturing. Hence few risks being taken.

But perennial best sellers usually do not get a major departure in styling. It's a shame. Sometimes a thorough re-imagining of a vehicle lines up more with the spirit of what a car represents.

In this case, the GT... so much has changed, and yet you can instantly tell what it is. I like it.

Edited by Suaviloquent
  • Upvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook