Wings4Life(BANNED)

Ford F-150 Performance Enhanced By New Sport Mode

http://fordforums.org/ford-magazine/ford-f-150-performance-enhanced-by-new-sport-mode/

DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 5, 2015 – Crazy-smart Ford engineers have struck again – this time blending the sport mode feature borrowed from the all-new Mustang with the reduced weight of the all-new F-150 to deliver an engaged, dynamic driving experience with any of the four high-output, fuel-efficient powertrains available to truck customers.

Since the all-new 2015 Mustang and F-150 were developed on a similar time line and share certain automatic transmission technology, powertrain engineers often drove both vehicles on the same trips used for testing.

“Our team realized how well the new Ford F-150 handled and responded to acceleration due to its reduced weight,” said Karl Jungbluth, Ford transmission calibration engineer. “So we decided we could adapt the sport mode capabilities of the six-speed automatic transmission from Mustang to F-150 to enhance the overall driving experience for truck customers.”

Sport mode on F-150 is activated by pushing the tow/haul mode button twice. An amber S appears in the lower-right portion of the tachometer indicating sport mode is active.

The feature works by changing the frequency of gearshifts, so the truck stays in the “sweet” spot of the powerband and holds lower gears longer to make driving more fun. That means less shifting on engaging drives, such as twisty roads with rolling hills. Instead of shifting gears up and down for peak efficiency, the transmission holds a specific gear longer to make driving more responsive and spirited

They had me at "Crazy-Smart Ford Engineers"

LOL

But seriously, as I have repeated many times, the benefits of using aluminum body weight reductions, is so much more than just mpgs.

While a nice idea in the Mustang, I'm unsure how needed it would be in a full-size truck no matter what it weighs unless it were something like the Raptor or Power Wagon.   Standard F-150, I just can't see a use for it. 

Better braking, acceleration, towing, handling, lower CG, better ....for starters.

But, you can't have a lightweight raptor or Lightening, or whatever....without the base truck being light too.

DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 5, 2015 – Crazy-smart Ford engineers have struck again...

-and just like that, I realized that this "news article" was PR. And as Drew pointed out, PR about a feature of dubious value.

• Upvote 1

Better braking, acceleration, towing, handling, lower CG, better ....for starters.

But, you can't have a lightweight raptor or Lightening, or whatever....without the base truck being light too.

No reply drew?

I'm referring specifically to the Sport mode, which from the article merely changes shifting calibration to feel sportier.   That's what I don't see the point of in a full-size truck. 

and it's not like adding sport shift points to transmission programming is "crazy smart".  Lots of cars have them.

• Upvote 1

It strikes me as a little gimmicky -- I'd imagine the minority of truck drivers really wanting to toss their vehicle around would already use whatever 'tap shift' or triggers on their steering wheel or shift column.

Now, if it were something that was specific to a sport model, like an FX4, and firmed up the suspension or something along those lines, it'd probably be a little more worthwhile.

Meh. 

• Upvote 1

It prob costs more to calibrate and carry several transmission shift modes, so it would make little sense to exclude it for any one particular model.

It strikes me as a little gimmicky -- I'd imagine the minority of truck drivers really wanting to toss their vehicle around would already use whatever 'tap shift' or triggers on their steering wheel or shift column.

Now, if it were something that was specific to a sport model, like an FX4, and firmed up the suspension or something along those lines, it'd probably be a little more worthwhile.

Meh. 

Tap shift would make great sense in a Lightening.

And the FX4 model is more label then it is specialty.

It prob costs more to calibrate and carry several transmission shift modes, so it would make little sense to exclude it for any one particular model.

Not if 90% of the work is already done for another model. The "hold gear" mode seems like it is already in the programming so no need to duplicate the work there, the only thing that would need to be adjusted from the Mustang would be the shift points. 

Perhaps.

But OK then, you suggest not offering it at all on some models, because some don't think it is beneficial.

Free country I guess.

Perhaps.

But OK then, you suggest not offering it at all on some models, because some don't think it is beneficial.

Free country I guess.

It's not that.... I agree that if they are doing it for the Raptor or a Lightning or some such thing, then it is just easier to include the same programming on the regular F-150 also.

I just don't think it is something to crow about on Pappy's F-150 XLT... at least talk about it in terms of a sports model...... and it's not like it isn't available on many other vehicles.

I guess what I'm saying is.... This warranted a press release?

Discussion of whether a feature on a vehicle is worthwhile or not is one of the many types of discussions we have here.

The Ford PR fluff of "crazy smart transmission engineers" was a bit over the top... and yes a few of us mocked that part of the PR piece.

“So we decided we could adapt the sport mode capabilities of the six-speed automatic transmission from Mustang to F-150 to enhance the overall driving experience for truck customers.”

To be fair, Ford trucks and SUVs do have independent rear suspensions...unlike the Cadillac Escalade SUV...so...I could totally see this as an enhancement for overall driving experience.

This way...folk that drive these pick-up trucks...could be out-enhancing driving experiences from the drivers of AMG Mercedes S Class cars....

Those wild and wooly Ford engineers....

They are a bunch of crazy guys....yes they are!!!

y4enyty3.jpg

Edited by oldshurst442

But seriously...

If M-B could peddle AMG S Classes and tout them as sporty....and Porsche could peddle Cayennes and tout them as sporty...and BMW peddle X5s and X6s...and make "M" versions of those SAVs...I dont see a problem with Ford giving their F-150 owners something to feel more sporty also. I welcome this feature.

Discussion of whether a feature on a vehicle is worthwhile or not is one of the many types of discussions we have here.

The Ford PR fluff of "crazy smart transmission engineers" was a bit over the top... and yes a few of us mocked that part of the PR piece.

I too had fun with it, as one could easily see. But, if one truly believes it is heavy on the PR fluff and is annoyed by it, then ignoring it seems like a better course of action. No?  Because as an engineer, I was rather intrigued by the story, and actually believed others might get a kick out of it too.  Looking past the PR of course.

Edited by Wings4Life

Picking on overly fluffy PR is fair game. We used to have a laugh every month at the Toyota sales numbers releases because every single one contained the phrase "Best Ever!"

Honestly, I don't find a PR piece about sport mode in a transmission to be that compelling from a technology point of view. Manufacturers, including Ford, have been putting this type of transmission programming in transmissions for years. My 2004 Cadillac CTS had it.

What makes it different in this case and worthy of discussion is its inclusion in a vehicle class that normally doesn't get a sport mode option in the mainstream models.

Is sport mode in an F-150 XLT a meaningful addition? Yes/No? That is the framework for this debate..... along with poking some fun at the Ford PR department.

From the Ford release:

Sport mode is similar to F-150's tow/haul mode, which also changes shift points under acceleration, keeping the truck at a higher rpm and further up in the power range while driving over rolling terrain for an improved towing experience. The technology limits the transmission from shifting up when the vehicle crests a hill, and provides downhill brake support that allows engine-compression braking to slow the vehicle and maintain a steady speed.

So yeah, nothing new int tech, but creative nonetheless.  

Is it beneficial?

I don't know. I would drive an XLT the same exact way as a Limited, so to me, yes.

Edited by Wings4Life

First off, a sport button in a pickup truck is pointless.  They are heavy, large, and poor handling.  Even if the F150 lost 700 lbs, it is still like a 5,000 lb truck and I am pretty sure they didn't calibrate the suspension at the Nurburgring.   That "sport mode" is there for redneck pickup drivers to put it in "sport" and pretend they are in NASCAR and yell "yeee haw!"

Secondly, Ford is still using a 6-speed automatic?  Why didn't the crazy, smart engineers get an 8 or 9 speed by now?

First off, a sport button in a pickup truck is pointless.  They are heavy, large, and poor handling.  Even if the F150 lost 700 lbs, it is still like a 5,000 lb truck and I am pretty sure they didn't calibrate the suspension at the Nurburgring.   That "sport mode" is there for redneck pickup drivers to put it in "sport" and pretend they are in NASCAR and yell "yeee haw!"

Secondly, Ford is still using a 6-speed automatic?  Why didn't the crazy, smart engineers get an 8 or 9 speed by now?

First off, it is not a unique sport button.

Second off, they already did design and build a 10 speed that will be out next year.

But I can't promised that I will not repeatedly beat up the competition for using only 8 speeds when it does -- like soooo many do so often here about 6 speeds.

Edited by Wings4Life

I took this picture of the center console in my car, top left is the Comfort/Sport button, which makes more sense on a sports sedan, I don't see the point of it on a truck.  Bottom left is the feature that would make sense on the F150, which is the adjustable ride height button to raise or lower the vehicle.  I could see use for that on a pickup or SUV.

IMG 20150805 223409 097

They should give the F150 paddle shifters and launch control.  Perhaps an F150 GT3 with cargo box delete to save weight, they could charge more for this, just as Porsche charges you more to take out the back seat, carpets, radio, etc.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook