GM Eyed U.S. From Inception of ‘Whisper Diesel’

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Diesel is typically more, and will rise to it's high water mark in no time.

If you're able to make predictions like that with any sort of accuracy, what are you doing being a power train engineer instead of a commodities trader?

Diesel and gasoline regularly trade places for being the higher price fuel.  Diesel typically costs more than gas in the winter and then they swap in the summer.   There are occasional exceptions to that trend, but it is generally true.

uh, yeah, it does fluctuate, of course.

But plotted out over the last decade, Diesel has been higher on avg....hence my remark.

And of course I could be wrong. it's a prediction.

Regardless, people ignore the thousands of dollars premium for Diesel, especially when there are fuel efficient options that don't condemn you to driving like you have miss daisy in the back seat.

But hey, have fun with that ole bitty.  And no, I'm not talkin bout your better half.  Better, by far I am sure.

Pretty bold prediction there.

I expect that you will be wrong. Again.

If you're able to make predictions like that with any sort of accuracy, what are you doing being a power train engineer instead of a commodities trader?

Diesel and gasoline regularly trade places for being the higher price fuel.  Diesel typically costs more than gas in the winter and then they swap in the summer.   There are occasional exceptions to that trend, but it is generally true.

But plotted out over the last decade, Diesel has been higher on avg....hence my remark.

Diesel also gets better fuel economy, so the higher cost is usually justified. When it costs less, it's just gravy. 

The current Cruze isn't the best example to look at because the diesel is actually a more powerful engine than the gasser and thus doesn't get the far and above increase in fuel economy that it would if it was of more similar output.  The new 1.6T diesel I would expect to have a more compelling fuel economy case. In the Astra, it is rated for 63mpg highway in Europe.  While I think that is probably a tad optimistic, even if they hit the very high 50s, that will be a great success.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Diesel also gets better fuel economy, so the higher cost is usually justified. When it costs less, it's just gravy. 

The current Cruze isn't the best example to look at because the diesel is actually a more powerful engine than the gasser and thus doesn't get the far and above increase in fuel economy that it would if it was of more similar output.  The new 1.6T diesel I would expect to have a more compelling fuel economy case. In the Astra, it is rated for 63mpg highway in Europe.  While I think that is probably a tad optimistic, even if they hit the very high 50s, that will be a great success.

Of course, to all the above.

As was my only point, that Diesel on average has costed more.

...except when it's 10-15% cheaper than gas, regardless of price.

Sheesh :D :D :D

It's (diesel) 20 cents less on average in my neck of the woods. Don't worry Bong. In a decade or so we will hear about Ford finally (following everyone else, mind you) bringing diesel to their cars here and how they will be the best thing since sliced bread. History will not matter at that point. Ford is the leader. Surely they would never be a follower.