Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Car Shopping

So the wife and I began to do some car shopping, basically test driving the cars she's interested it to see what she thinks.  Here's the list of cars she's test driven in the past two weeks:

1. Buick LaCrosse FWD Leather (her favorite so far)

2. Buick Regal FWD (she's not a fan, I like it!  The 2.0L turbo 4 cyl is a rocket engine in this car)

3. Buick Verano Leather (too small for both of us, nice car, just not her cup of tea)

4. Buick Encore FWD Leather (surprisingly, she's no longer interested in the Encore, likes the exterior look but not the interior styling)

5. Chevy Impala 2LT (her second favorite, was quite impressed with the amount of features for the price)

Unfortunately we did not get to test drive a Malibu, the dealership was closing at 8:00 and the salesman was in a hurry to leave (older gentleman who had doctor's appointments the next day).  He knew we were only test driving, invited us back (and wanted to see her trade-in) this weekend.  She was impressed with the Malibu 3LT that she sat in, would like to test drive it to see what she thinks (she already stated that she likes it better than the Regal).

So, any food for thought on the Malibu 3LT model?  Another nearby dealer has a 2LTZ that caught my eye a little more.  Any info on the Malibu would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Here's the 2015 Regal we had for the 24-hour Buick test drive:

post-418-0-41357500-1439418675_thumb.jpg

post-418-0-96443300-1439418469_thumb.jpg

post-418-0-91897800-1439418530_thumb.jpg

post-418-0-38237000-1439418542_thumb.jpg

This car stickered for $31,440, equipped very well for this price.  I did not take a picture of the silver Verano nor of the carbon black Encore, and my wife has the picture of the white frost LaCrosse.  I thought I had a picture of the rain forest green Impala, but can't find it on the phone right now.

I have not seen a green Impala, I bet it looks great in that color.  I would go with the Impala, personally, with the LaCrosse my second choice.  Your kids are either grown or growing, a roomy car seems the best bet. 

And it is nice to see a familiar face around here, GMTG74!

I have not liked the Malibu since it went to the new short wheelbase model.  I do not like the 2.5 engine, it's torque feels very soft at the low end compared to the old 2.4. 

I would get her first choice and then go to the Impala only if you can't make the deal work on the Lacrosse. 

Distant 3rd would be a 2.0T Malibu. 

I've been around, ocnblu... more viewing than posting, but I could never not come to this site ;)  Work has been consistently busy this year, so my daytime visits have slowed a bit (more like lunch time now)... I use the iPad at home at night to keep up with the happenings.

Thanks for the feedback on the Malibu, Drew.  It would have to be the 2.0T engine, if we went with the Malibu (remember, she onlt sat in it and didn't drive it yet).  One dealer has a loaded 3LT, another dealer has a loaded 2LTZ - both in that great new color, Butte Red Metallic with Neutral Leather (it's a great combination on the Malibu).  My hunch is that she won't like it at all :D

Friends of ours stopped over last night to visit my step-son, who's home from North Carolina (USMC - stationed at New River).  We got to talking cars and I mentioned that we've been shopping.  The husband is more of a "saver" and does not think it's financially wise to buy new cars due to their high prices.  He suggested we look at certified, pre-owned cars to which my wife was open to the idea.  Seeing as how her #1 choice is the Buick LaCrosse, I searched 2013-2014 models and found the following two GM Certified Pre-Owned and one CarSense dealer as they have a store right in my town less than a mile away (though the one they have is at another store, I believe they will bring it to my preferred location):

1) 2013 LaCrosse Leather FWD: http://www.bergeysbuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2013-Buick-LaCrosse-FWD_Leather-Souderton-PA/2579280283

2) 2013 LaCrosse Touring FWD: http://www.jonesgmc.com/lancaster-used-cars/detail/2013-Buick-LaCrosse-4dr-Sdn-Touring-FWD/522/1G4GJ5E34DF310257/~/VehicleTypeID_~Price1_~Make_Buick~Model_LaCrosse/3

3) 2013 LaCrosse Premium I FWD: http://www.carsense.com/used-car/2013-Buick-LaCrosse-PREMIUM-1-A51824/

So maybe we'll see what she thinks of a slightly used car that offers her more options than the 2015's we've been looking at with a lower entry price point.  Any feedback on the three Buicks?

Oooooh I really liked the 2013 Lacrosse 3.6L. I thought the face, headlights, grille were perfect. I'm not as much a fan of the refreshed '14+ Lacrosse, but the new interior is better laid out and more attractive.

I really liked the dynamics of the Malibu LTZ Turbo. Great handling, surprisingly good looking exterior in LTZ trim as well. Interior is very functional, albeit with an odd looking dash. Personally, I'd go for a Buick Regal in a heart beat.

Can you find any of the new body ones?  I think it might be worth spending a little extra on.

However, of those:

The screaming deal seems to be the Premium-1 model.  Low mileage and about the same price and equipment as the Touring.

I'd have to look again at what was available in 2014s, I think there were a lot of dark colors which she is against.  Any particular reason to stay away from the 2013s?  My only concern with the Premium I LaCrosse is that CarSense only gives a 6 month/6,000 mile warranty, where GM Certified Pre-Owned gives the balance of the factory warranty plus an additional 12 months/12,000 miles.  Plus the Touring has the better looking (IMHO) 19" rims and the head's up display options.  However, that one is in Lancaster, PA; not a huge drive but a drive nonetheless.

Can you find any of the new body ones?  I think it might be worth spending a little extra on.

However, of those:

The screaming deal seems to be the Premium-1 model.  Low mileage and about the same price and equipment as the Touring.

Actually, I think I like the looks of the 2013 LaCrosse interior better.  Of course the real test will be sitting in and test driving it.

I think the Malibu will be too similar in size & feel to her current Pontiac G6 Sedan... though she loves her Pontiac, she is looking for something new and bigger.  The Regal does nothing for her, even with the great incentives my dealer has she just feels nothing for it, sadly :(

Oooooh I really liked the 2013 Lacrosse 3.6L. I thought the face, headlights, grille were perfect. I'm not as much a fan of the refreshed '14+ Lacrosse, but the new interior is better laid out and more attractive.

I really liked the dynamics of the Malibu LTZ Turbo. Great handling, surprisingly good looking exterior in LTZ trim as well. Interior is very functional, albeit with an odd looking dash. Personally, I'd go for a Buick Regal in a heart beat.

I'd have to look again at what was available in 2014s, I think there were a lot of dark colors which she is against.  Any particular reason to stay away from the 2013s?  My only concern with the Premium I LaCrosse is that CarSense only gives a 6 month/6,000 mile warranty, where GM Certified Pre-Owned gives the balance of the factory warranty plus an additional 12 months/12,000 miles.  Plus the Touring has the better looking (IMHO) 19" rims and the head's up display options.  However, that one is in Lancaster, PA; not a huge drive but a drive nonetheless.

However, of those:

The CarSense one should still be under factory warranty anyway

So CarSense decided to bring the '13 LaCrosse Premium I to the store near me without me actually asking them to do it. Wife went over and test drove it; she liked the car but isn't thrilled its Summit White and not a white diamond tri-coat like the Touring one is in Lancaster. She nitpicked that it was dirty and had a few noticeable marks in the interior; otherwise it's a decent used car. We're on vacation to Wildwood the next couple of days, but I have an appointment with the Buick-GMC dealer (Jones) in Lancaster Wednesday to see the '13 LaCrosse Touring one ;)

Well personally I don't think you can do better than this 2012 certified E350 4Matic for just under $30k.  Only 22k miles and under warranty.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=17601&endYear=2014&modelCode1=E_CLASS&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=2010&makeCode1=MB&searchRadius=75&maxPrice=30000&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=[MB[][E_CLASS[]]]&listingId=406647478&Log=0

If the choice is limited to Buick and Chevy, and you and your wife want a larger car, then I'd say the pre-owned LaCrosse Premium is the way to go.  If she wants the white diamond, I am sure CarSense will get one in within a month.  Not like the LaCrosse is a hard to find car.

First off, I think you're really doing yourselves a disservice by only looking at GM products. They really only have compelling products in one of the categories you listed, imo- the fullsize sedan class. So my first pick would be Impala, followed by Regal Turbo, and then Lacrosse. I wouldn't even consider buying any of them new, though. They take monster hits in value off the lot.

So the two '13 Buick Lacrosse's - Summit White Premium I and the White Diamond Tri-Coat Touring models - are off the list.  The wife just couldn't accept "refrigerator white" and the car did not have Nav.  The Touring model was perfect, except for the used car manager who wanted to steal my trade in under a song & dance about dead brands, no value, wouldn't sell at the auction well enough, blah, blah, blah.  Another 2013 Premium I popped up at a Buick dealer in the Jersey shore are (Jim Curley, Lakewood: http://www.jimcurley.com/vehicle-details/2013-buick-lacrosse-premium-1-lakewood-nj-id-10593856).  May go see it this weekend, or may wait to see what Buick does Labor Day weekend on new, leftover 2015s.  Still will be higher than we want to pay, but she's been seeing a ton of '14/'15 LaCrosse's on the roads and still see-saws between certified pre-owned and new.

There also happens to be a certified pre-owned 2014 Impala LT in White Diamond Tri-Coat too.. http://www.mallchevy.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2014-Chevrolet-Impala-LT-Cherry_Hill-NJ/2595149493

XTS is on the list; however, she must have heated seats and Nav options which is putting '13 XTS models north of $30k (one I found was $34k but was also AWD).  Neither of us likes the new '14 CTS, but I would consider a '13 CTS as long as it has the Nav display and not the LCD display.

XTS is on the list; however, she must have heated seats and Nav options which is putting '13 XTS models north of $30k (one I found was $34k but was also AWD).  Neither of us likes the new '14 CTS, but I would consider a '13 CTS as long as it has the Nav display and not the LCD display.

Seems to be many options on the XTS with heated seats and nav minimum.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/cars+under+35000/Cadillac/XTS/Mountlake+Terrace+WA-98043?endYear=2016&featureCodes=1156,1316,1066&makeCode1=CAD&maxPrice=35000&mmt=%5BCAD%5BXTS%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=XTS&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=394924193&showcaseOwnerId=987070&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=1981&Log=0

The XTS was around in 2012 too, there have to be some cheap XTS out there.  Or Chrysler 300C, Hyundai Genesis, get cheap used too, Lincoln MKZ as well.  Those bigger cars geared toward the older folks are cheap when they get past 3 years old.  I still think a 2011-2012 E-class will out last any of those cars though.

The XTS was around in 2012 too, there have to be some cheap XTS out there.  Or Chrysler 300C, Hyundai Genesis, get cheap used too, Lincoln MKZ as well.  Those bigger cars geared toward the older folks are cheap when they get past 3 years old.  I still think a 2011-2012 E-class will out last any of those cars though.

I would disagree with you on the E-Class, a manager I work with used to have a BMW 550i and in 2012 traded it in on a MB E-class which she thought would be less maintenance and lower repairs as everyone told her it was more reliable. She found the maintenance and repairs to be on par with the BMW and just a headache with things breaking. She finally dumped it this year and got herself a Lexus which I hope she has better experience with than my Aunt who had two in the last 4 years and has finally given up and bought a new Ford Explorer that she loves. 

She told me the interiors just fell apart and it was too expensive to fix, so she figured she would rather go back to American and lower her cost of repairs. Be interesting to see how the next two years go as she is the type to trade in auto's every 2 years.

In regards to the E-Class, I know some really do last and how you take care of your auto makes a big difference in how they last. All my american Metal last great and I see no problems with doing basic maintenance. Just not lazy like so many when it comes to common sense 30,000 mile tune ups on my 1994 Suburban.

I have an 08 E550 with 83k miles, I got it 2 years ago. Aside from a panoramic roof repair that was 37 days at the dealership (probably best to skip that option), it has had very little go wrong between me and the previous owner. I think the car fax showed one repair for moon roof by the previous owner. I had a check engine light that was a camshaft sensor, there was also a slight oil leak and the dealer fixed both for about $400.

Where a Mercedes can get expensive is routine maintenance. An oil change is about $150 for a V8 at the dealer, although it does last 13,000 miles. Transmission fluid service is $420. So the routine upkeep can be costly but their cars last and run forever. The dealer gives free loaner cars too.

I have an 08 E550 with 83k miles, I got it 2 years ago. Aside from a panoramic roof repair that was 37 days at the dealership (probably best to skip that option), it has had very little go wrong between me and the previous owner. I think the car fax showed one repair for moon roof by the previous owner. I had a check engine light that was a camshaft sensor, there was also a slight oil leak and the dealer fixed both for about $400.

Where a Mercedes can get expensive is routine maintenance. An oil change is about $150 for a V8 at the dealer, although it does last 13,000 miles. Transmission fluid service is $420. So the routine upkeep can be costly but their cars last and run forever. The dealer gives free loaner cars too.

Glad yours has worked out for you. 

I truly believe all auto companies can build auto's that last, depending on how you maintain them.