Poll: Up votes/Down Votes

Opinion on Up votes / Down Votes  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want voting to remain anonymous as it currently is, who see who voted as you can with Facebook's "Like" system?

• Remain Anonymous
    • See who voted
  2. 2. If we change it so everyone can see who voted, would you care that it would show all voting results ever cast?

• Yes
    • No

The complaint is not about the vote system. The complaint is that regardless of how its tweaked/modified you still have two guys who clearly lag behind everyone else in reputation because they are trolls. Disabling/tweaking the system won't change that. Banning them will.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)
Olds,

I have to disagree about posting a follow up explaining why someone down voted.

Why?  Because it is too disruptive to the forum.  It would probably do more bad than good.  

If you guys have a problem being disagreed with or "spited", you shouldn't be on a forum. Personally, if I riled someone's feathers enough to be down-voted on a whim, I'd feel accomplished.

I WANT disagreement.

Problem is....there are some people that just downvote...WITHOUT explanation...

Personally, if that person just does NOT agree with what I have to say enough to downvote me...I expect a reason as to why he would waste enough energy reading my post and then downvoting it...

There is an ignore feature in the forums, right?

Just ignore what I have to say if what I have to say bothers you that you have to not like it...seems stupid to me in today's society where we  dont like an opinion because its different only to downvote it because we dont like it...

So as to downvote in spite...is kinda stupid...therefore THAT does not belong in an internet forum...n'est ce pas?

We don't all need to agree with each other

We DONT need to agree with each other. But that also means we should also DISCUSS...

Personally, if I riled someone's feathers enough to be down-voted on a whim, I'd feel accomplished.

That is also called trolling...something that is not wanted by me on ANY forum...

That would be from whatever angle...

One angle is when someone says preposterous thngs JUST to rile someone...just to feel accomplished...

The other angle would be the person just downvoting JUST to rile someone's feathers...

Both angles are TROLLING...

Both angles dont add much to ANY conversation...so what is the point in having a discussion then?

I am happy with the downvoting system...it keeps trolls at bay.

What I dont like is when an honest to goodness opinion gets downvoted...and THAT is fine too...but when an honest to goodness opinion gets downvoted...explanations are in order...because at the end of the day...we are ALL entitled to an opinion...

How effin pretentious is it when I offer an opinion and it gets downvoted because the person downvoting does not like what I have to say?

Add insult to injury...no reason is given...

You dont see how effed up THAT is?

Let it go? Why is it that important to you whether you get up or down-voted? There's no consequence. You don't lose posting privileges, you don't get banned, you are still able to use the forum in the same manner as everyone else. It's a non-issue and you're just allowing it to get under your skin. Opinions are fine and dandy, but you can't expect everyone to agree with yours as everyone is entitled to their own. And guess what, they don't have be vocal about it, nor should they be required to give you an explanation for your satisfaction. I don't remember this system ever being a problem until our recent influx of members from another forum. We've had this system for far longer than that, without complaints. Now, a select few of you are making a fuss about nothing. If you don't like the system and how things work, there are thousands of other forums for you to choose from. 

• Agree 2

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

This is a thing? Seriously? We're not in a popularity contest. If you guys have a problem being disagreed with or "spited", you shouldn't be on a forum. Personally, if I riled someone's feathers enough to be down-voted on a whim, I'd feel accomplished. We don't all need to agree with each other as long as we're not continuously flinging our $h! back and forth like monkeys... and that's when Drew steps in to hand out virtual spankings. Pretty simple, I'd say. ;)

..there are three people who get super riled up over this and it doesn't make any sense to me either.. Apparently it bothers them enough to ask for it to either go away or be changed, more than once.

Agreed.

Let it go? Why is it that important to you whether you get up or down-voted? There's no consequence. You don't lose posting privileges, you don't get banned, you are still able to use the forum in the same manner as everyone else. It's a non-issue and you're just allowing it to get under your skin. Opinions are fine and dandy, but you can't expect everyone to agree with yours as everyone is entitled to their own. And guess what, they don't have be vocal about it, nor should they be required to give you an explanation for your satisfaction. I don't remember this system ever being a problem until our recent influx of members from another forum. We've had this system for far longer than that, without complaints. Now, a select few of you are making a fuss about nothing. If you don't like the system and how things work, there are thousands of other forums for you to choose from. 

HA!

And I got downvoted for that as well...

Like...we all want to behave like adults...yet we downvote yet another valid opinion...like babies...

I mean...who did not like my point of view?

Like...I mean..we downvote like children just because an opinion was expressed?

Yes that bothers me...

I was NOT trolling...

I did not like what YOU had to say...did I downvote you?

Even when you kindly told me to leave your forum...

This makes 2-3 people that told me to leave this forum...even when I post MY opinions...sure with a certain style that is kinda in your face sometimes...but sometimes with flamboyant pics...

OK...I got the message...

Have a nice life guys...

I leave...

So seriously, what is being done here? For some reason, it only lets me vote one way or the other each day but it's really longer than that. Up until today, I wasn't able to either for days. Meanwhile certain posters just sit on their votes until certain other posters say something they take a slight to. Again, the system is broken. Just my two cents.

About a week ago, I changed the system so that everyone in the "members" group gets just one down vote per 24 hours and ten up votes in 24 hours. 

So seriously, what is being done here? For some reason, it only lets me vote one way or the other each day but it's really longer than that. Up until today, I wasn't able to either for days. Meanwhile certain posters just sit on their votes until certain other posters say something they take a slight to. Again, the system is broken. Just my two cents.

About a week ago, I changed the system so that everyone in the "members" group gets just one down vote per 24 hours and ten up votes in 24 hours. 

Makes sense although up until today I could not vote one way or the other for days. Thanks for the explanation Drew.

Olds,
I have to disagree about posting a follow up explaining why someone down voted.

Why?  Because it is too disruptive to the forum.  It would probably do more bad than good.  

Then dont downvote if you think the downvote is NOT warranted...

Its only disruptive if both sides are going at it with trolling each other...

How does someone cancel his account here?

You don't.  Then the terrorists win. 

According to some...I may be a terrorist.

BTW...thanx Drew...I could read between the lines.

Shameful that the troll is allowed to ruin his fourth forum.

And not just THE troll....many around from both forums that have clashed in here and the battleground where the war is being fought it seems is over the downvoting system...

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

My beef is NOT like the others....mine is actually the idea of downvoting very valid opinions that are even fact related...

Which is cool....like I keep on saying...however...its mind blowing that even an expression of an opinion gets downvoted...

Again...like with my post on top...its just MY opinion....someone has to downvote it?

Just read it. Either respond to it  or move the phoque on!!!  Downvote it...but respond to it at least...

Why dont someone want to respond to it but just downvote it?

The fear of being exposed?

That is the thing...the person that has been downvoted ACTUALLY EXPOSED HIMSELF TO CRITICISM...and a guy like me...IS OPEN AND ACCEPTS CRITICISM...AND MORE TO IT THAN THAT...EXPECTS CRITICISM!!!

On top of all that...

Well...I dont like that person's action....why can't I downvote his actions? His actions are obviously just as an equal amount of disapproval as his disapproval of my opinion he does not like...

And THAT is just CHILDISH behaviour...the downvoting of opinions without explanations...

Its one thing to downvote a BLATANT stupid remark...its another to downvote an opinion just because you dont agree with it...and THAT gets my goat...

And no...I dont feel like I accomplished something just by riling somebody...

If any of you have actually read what I write...I ALWAYS post either links or pics or videos on my facts and how I get to the conclusions to base my opinions on...

You ALWAYS know or get the feel of how my thought process works...

Right or wrong or indifferent...my thought process is always shown to you by me...and if my thought process irritates you...cool...downvote away...

But at least give me and SHOW me YOUR thought process so I could at least criticize and scrutinze you...and maybe have the opportunity  to downvote you...but then again...the people that downvote and DONT expose themsleves are the ones that cherish their reputations the most...

Which is why I get mad even more...

Because I ACTUALLY SHOW YOU HOW I THINK...with FACTS...and the last couple of days...FACTS that I gathered even got downvoted...FACTS...

When people are close minded or just plain trolls, THAT is what ruins the forums and/or the voting system...

• Agree 2

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

olds,

I down vote when necessary only.

Especially when someone continues to focus on individuals instead of the topic.  I do believe mods would have my back on this one.

olds,

Especially when someone continues to focus on individuals instead of the topic.  I do believe mods would have my back on this one.

Well...then my beef aint with you then, so if I made it seem like Im poitning this rant at you...sorry...it aint you, babe.

It aint you that Im looking for.

Edited by oldshurst442

olds,

Especially when someone continues to focus on individuals instead of the topic. I do believe mods would have my back on this one.

Funny story:

I approached certain admins via PM some time ago regarding how I should approach trolls in here. I was told that they were perfectly fine with me picking holes wherever I saw fit in troll posts, as long as I avoided personal attacks.

And that's where I knew there would be problems, because I know through experience that trolls are unable to counter rational posting with rational thought. In other words, they only know how to break the rules to suit their own agenda, and they don't care about the consequences.

Bottom line: stupid behaviour, if tolerated or protected, will inevitably ruin whatever it sees fit to infest.

Edited by El Kabong