Cadillac News: Cadillac Announces XT5 Crossover To Debut At Dubai

William Maley

Cadillac announced today that the XT5 - replacement for the SRX crossover - will be making its worldwide debut at the Dubai Motor Show in November. Following this, the new Cadillac crossover will head to the LA Auto Show for its North American debut.

"The XT5 will be the cornerstone of a series of crossovers bearing the 'XT' designation," the automaker said in a statement.

The XT5 has some big shoes to fill as the SRX was Cadillac's most popular model sold worldwide. Previous reports has the SRX using a 2.0T four-cylinder and 3.6L V6 for power, and being available with front or all-wheel drive.

Source: Cadillac

View full article

The sub-compact GLA is front wheel drive, and obviously the least Mercedes of all the Mercedes is that makes any sense.  The GLC, GLE, GLS, and G-wagen are rear wheel drive.  80% of their crossover line still powers the correct wheels.  Lexus has zero performance credibility.

If the XT5 is front drive, you know a Cruze based XT3 is coming, and will Cadillac want a Gamma platform XT1 to compete with the X1 and Q3 and GLA?  Probably, now you have 3 front drive crossovers at Cadillac, which would likely be most of the brand's volume, which sort of goes against Johan's claim of Rear Drive being the future of Cadillac.

The sub-compact GLA is front wheel drive, and obviously the least Mercedes of all the Mercedes is that makes any sense.  The GLC, GLE, GLS, and G-wagen are rear wheel drive.  80% of their crossover line still powers the correct wheels.  Lexus has zero performance credibility.

If the XT5 is front drive, you know a Cruze based XT3 is coming, and will Cadillac want a Gamma platform XT1 to compete with the X1 and Q3 and GLA?  Probably, now you have 3 front drive crossovers at Cadillac, which would likely be most of the brand's volume, which sort of goes against Johan's claim of Rear Drive being the future of Cadillac.

Its still a Mercedes with FWD, making your post just pure trolling. Think it will be the last FWD Mercedes? Not likely in this day and age. Mark my words.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Its still a Mercedes with FWD, making your post just pure trolling. Think it will be the last FWD Mercedes? Not likely in this day and age. Mark my words.

Mercedes only has one FWD platform, and it only fits small vehicles.  So only A or B segment cars will be front drive, and they pretty much have the hatchback, sedan, crossover and boxy people mover body styles covered already.  

They have the MRA platform for C-class, 2017 E-class/CLS, and GLC, the S-class platform, the roadster platform, the GLE/GLS suv platform.  That is 4 rear drive platforms, not counting G-wagen.  So again over 80% of the platforms are rear drive, and they are moving to an inline six that won't fit in a front wheel drive car, so I would say Mercedes is pretty committed to rear drive.  The MFA platforms cars are a necessary evil in a sense to capture younger buyers and to meet fuel economy and emission requirements.

Who says other than you always that the rear wheels are the correct wheels for driving an auto? As your halo brand moves to become more like Chevy and Toyota, you will find more and more FWD appliances in America mark my words. It will happen. Plus most people do not know or care about fwd or rwd.

Only us auto nuts care and that is personal preference based on the type of auto.

• Agree 2

I'm sure Lexus thinks long and hard about that when it deposits checks for RX350 payments.  

• Agree 1

I'm sure Lexus thinks long and hard about that when it deposits checks for RX350 payments.  

Well they are cashing in on the sheeple that think Toyota product lasts 300k miles without maintenance, and those soccer moms have no idea what drive wheels do what.  Cadillac is an underdog that is trying to climb up, "good enough" isn't going to get them to where they want to be.  Plus the RX sells at a much lower price than the X5 or GLE.   Which makes me think XT5 will be about $40k, so an XT3 has to be about $33k, if they follow the Lexus NX and RX or Lincoln MKC-MKX pricing models.

Are SUV's in this segment selling well? Yes.

Are the companies selling them making a great profit? Yes.

Is there anything that Anyone with a sound mind should be bitching about? No

People like them and people buy them and usually load them up and make them a very high transaction price model. This is about making money isn't it?

• Agree 2

For the record, I much prefer my vehicle's engines to send their power out back. But in the case of compact SUVs the ship appears to have sailed.

But to see Benz and Bimmer throwing out FWD and transverse-engined CARS?...

Wow. Maybe I should start calling them Acura-fighters.

Edited by El Kabong

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

One problem with small and RWD, is horrible traction in rain and snow.  

That's a simple function of less mass over the drive wheels, contributing to less friction for that traction.

And considering how the majority of small CUV's sell minus the AWD option, that would then preclude many vehicles like these, purchased primarily for their utility rather than sport, to be saddled with the adverse effects and little benefit.

Edited by Wings4Life

That's a simple function of less mass over the drive wheels, contributing to less friction for that traction.

And considering how the majority of small CUV's sell minus the AWD option, that would then preclude many vehicles like these, purchased primarily for their utility rather than sport, to be saddled with the adverse effects and little benefit.

I know, right?!  It's almost like most crossover buyers don't care about how quickly they can carve through the 'Ring on their way to work. 

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

I know, right?!  It's almost like most crossover buyers don't care about how quickly they can carve through the 'Ring on their way to work. 

Agreed, although....

i'm trying to recall if the higher CG helps in that carving, or hinders?

Car and Driver once wrote "power is sent to the rear wheels, just as God intended."

Of course a car enthusiast publication would say that. That does not change the fact that MB will have more FWD vehicles down the pipeline and that your average buyer doesn't care about the FWD vs. RWD, unless you live in snow country of course. Guess which one sells more there? Hint, it's not RWD cars. 

Edited by surreal1272

For the record, I much prefer my vehicle's engines to send their power out back. But in the case of compact SUVs the ship appears to have sailed.

But to see Benz and Bimmer throwing out FWD and transverse-engined CARS?...

Wow. Maybe I should start calling them Acura-fighters.

It is all about the future. They all know they will have to cut weight and this is how they will do it. While not all of their cars will be FWD they have had to enter the segment to make sure they have their footing in 10 years from now.

Also add to this while enthusiast are not FWD fans the fact is most people in the market want them. Too many believe that they can not get around in the winter or even heavy rain with out FWD. I think many forget how many decades we did fine in RWD even with out all the electronic controls. Marketing of the need of FWD in the 80's and ingrained the lie and today many still believe heart and soul.

The automakers can remove a lot of weight with a FWD transaxle and it makes for more room in a smaller car too. This is what they are interested in not winter traction.

Snowbelt is a non-issue, every BMW and Mercedes sedan or coupe is available with all wheel drive.  I don't see where this proliferation of FWD thought the Mercedes lineup will come from either.  That is the hopes and dreams of Cadillac fans because Cadillac has the XTS, ELR, XT5, and coming XT3, maybe and XT1, etc all front drive.   And they don't have rear drive crossovers or a V-series crossover, while there are AMG, M, SRT, Audi S-models, hi-performance Porsche crossovers, soon to be Jaguar, Maserati and Bentley crossovers.

So when all the others have performance crossovers, Cadillac won't be able to do one.  And you might think it doesn't matter then why did Cadillac race to make a CTS-V after the BMW M5 set the standard.  So how does the XT5 compete with the X5 M or GLE63?  They can't put a 600 hp V8 in an XT5 because it is on the wrong platform with wrong wheel drive.

• Disagree 2

It's the rest of the lineup needs help. With the exception of the Escalade ESV being up a smidgen, the SRX was the only Cadillac to post any resemblance to meaningful gains for August 2015.

ATS was down 12.66 percent to 2,449 units

CTS was down 33.26 percent to 1,730 units

ELR was down 77 percent to 45 units

Escalade was down 22.27 percent to 1,770 units and Escalade ESV was up 4.22 percent to 1,310 units

SRX was up 51.88 percent to 6,903 units

XTS was down 48.59 percent to 1,531 units.

• Disagree 2

Meh. Could be worse. And in the meantime, Cadillac has apparently been busy with other SUVs. Check out my new thread.

Say what you will. If sales keep sliding, there'll be more layoffs at other plants to go with the ones let go, and have yet to come back, at Lansing Grand River - so it seems it has gotten worse for some.

• Disagree 3

It's the rest of the lineup needs help. With the exception of the Escalade ESV being up a smidgen, the SRX was the only Cadillac to post any resemblance to meaningful gains for August 2015.

Escalade was down 22.27 percent to 1,770 units and Escalade ESV was up 4.22 percent to 1,310 units

Could it be.. in some weird and crazy act of fate that the fact that it is their sole CUV for sale have anything to do with it? 

• Agree 1

30lcmqa.jpg

My point was that there is a higher percentage of potential CUV buyers, thus if one's desire for buying a Cadillac is going to manifest upon going car shopping.. the highest growth market would certainly attract the most (40%) sales within the brand. The 10 Year rebuild hit a few hiccups. One was huge in fact. The other thing is the 2 RWD vehicles will be sharing a platform with a Chevy. The multi-CUV issue at Cadillac is evident in its sales drop. I admit that Cadillac is negligent in this. What more do U want. 

Cadillac realizes their issue.. they just have failed thus far to address this glaring deficiency. That is their true failure. The bolstering of the car line-up with class leading vehicles is not. It is a necessity no matter the automotive environment. Otherwise they are Range Rover, or GMC. As I pointed out in another thread last month.. the easy thing to do would be to rebrand platforms ala Toyota/Lexus (Prado/GX) using existing Global CUVs for the time being. The GMT31XX (Colorado/Trailblazer) for one.. Lambda ( Acadia) for another.

Let's be CLEAR.. I would prefer to wait for dedicated platforms and new vehicles thereafter, but your constant beating on this drum never ever brings a solution from the Gods, so I pose the only immediate one.

ATPs up. Seems like a celebratory thing in the luxury segment. It leads to better things like the brand cachet that U guys have been crying about since I joined in 2007. If Cadillac can get an ATP of $50K overall for the CTS, it bodes well for the CT6. If Cadillac can get get $52K ATP overall for the brand and the SRX is selling 40% of the volume... that would suggest a positive too.

• Agree 1

Snowbelt is a non-issue, every BMW and Mercedes sedan or coupe is available with all wheel drive.  I don't see where this proliferation of FWD thought the Mercedes lineup will come from either.  That is the hopes and dreams of Cadillac fans because Cadillac has the XTS, ELR, XT5, and coming XT3, maybe and XT1, etc all front drive.   And they don't have rear drive crossovers or a V-series crossover, while there are AMG, M, SRT, Audi S-models, hi-performance Porsche crossovers, soon to be Jaguar, Maserati and Bentley crossovers.

So when all the others have performance crossovers, Cadillac won't be able to do one.  And you might think it doesn't matter then why did Cadillac race to make a CTS-V after the BMW M5 set the standard.  So how does the XT5 compete with the X5 M or GLE63?  They can't put a 600 hp V8 in an XT5 because it is on the wrong platform with wrong wheel drive.

Correction the M5 never set the standard, it is a FAT PIG under powered and underwhelming. The M3 set the standard that Cadillac used to bench what became the CTS-V.

Interesting chart a few posts above. With all the hyperbole about 'OMG- turn everything into a CUV!!', it shows the body style breakdown is pretty much flat over the last 5 years; CUVs up 5%, big whoop. Here I was sitting, wondering if all the outcry over Cadillac only having 1 CUV and mercedes having 23 was really a Major Problem, and the way I'm reading it, it isn't. 

In hindsight, I would advocate the XT5 and an XT3 (as long as it's notably larger than the Buick Encore), plus the Escalade, and call it 'done'. Absolutely zero need for an 'XT1'.

Could it be.. in some weird and crazy act of fate that the fact that it is their sole CUV for sale have anything to do with it?

Dood. That's HEAVY :P

I don't understand how some folks can be so down on a brand for no rational reason.

• Disagree 1

Interesting chart a few posts above. With all the hyperbole about 'OMG- turn everything into a CUV!!', it shows the body style breakdown is pretty much flat over the last 5 years; CUVs up 5%, big whoop. Here I was sitting, wondering if all the outcry over Cadillac only having 1 CUV and mercedes having 23 was really a Major Problem, and the way I'm reading it, it isn't. 

In hindsight, I would advocate the XT5 and an XT3 (as long as it's notably larger than the Buick Encore), plus the Escalade, and call it 'done'. Absolutely zero need for an 'XT1'.

I think a lot of this microniche stuff is just a spite competition between Benz and BMW to be honest. I'm on board with your thinking: two or maybe three different sizes, and let the other two punch themselves out on each other.

Insert keyword "available", end of discussion. 

Oh and Cadillac is planning on a V series Escalade, so there goes another asinine assumption of yours out the window. 

Edited by surreal1272

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

I don't understand how some folks can be so down on a brand for no rational reason.

The irony in your last sentence, is mind bottling. :explode:

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

If anyone is interested, Cadillac just posted a picture of the XT5 on their Facebook page last night.

11998904_10153683999674923_8787370470199

That looks pretty good, with a softened look to the currently over-creased design.

Correction the M5 never set the standard, it is a FAT PIG under powered and underwhelming. The M3 set the standard that Cadillac used to bench what became the CTS-V.
Back in 1987 or when ever the M5 came out as the first sports sedan it did set the standard and I was thinking more of the E39 M5 which was the gold standard of sports sedans. The current M5 is too big and fat. In fact the current M3 is nearly as big as an E39.

(Is "mind bottling" a thing?)

I clearly said "rational."

You clearly missed it.

Quelle surprise.

Anyways... It is a spiffy SUV Cadillac has here.

Edited by El Kabong
  • Agree 1

Back in 1987 or when ever the M5 came out as the first sports sedan it did set the standard and I was thinking more of the E39 M5 which was the gold standard of sports sedans. The current M5 is too big and fat. In fact the current M3 is nearly as big as an E39.

OK, so yes it came out in the 80's but all pictures show the terrible quality of fit n finish and the reliability of the M5 was terrible so while it did start the sports sedan segment, it was a standard that was quickly left in the dust by others. AMG passed them long ago.

If anyone is interested, Cadillac just posted a picture of the XT5 on their Facebook page last night.

11998904_10153683999674923_8787370470199

This is Freakin Lovely, I expect this to be a HUGE HOME RUN for Cadillac. I am excited to see more of this as well as the Escalade ESV-V edition. I hope they show off both at both shows.

Amazing what has popped up on the internet now of the XT5 pictures.

post-12-0-81636500-1441906618_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-47033600-1441906622_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-99327600-1441906623_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-64768400-1441906625_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-27954800-1441906630_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-43291800-1441906632_thumb.jpg

(Is "mind bottling" a thing?)

I clearly said "rational."

You clearly missed it.

Quelle surprise.

Anyways... It is a spiffy SUV Cadillac has here.

"Chazz: Mind-bottling, isn't it?

Jimmy: Did you just say mind-bottling?"

Chazz: Yeah, mind-bottling. You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle?"

-Blades of Glory

Stacy's mom has got it goin' on.

The problem is that Stacy's mom is actually driving a Mercedes-Benz in the original music video...

It dont matter if Cadillac paid money to feature a dark haired Stacy's mom to drive a SRX...

The ORIGINAL Stacy's mom is Rachel Hunter driving a Mercedes Benz...possible in Beverly Hills...where else?

But she belongs to this guy though...