Toyota News: Revealed: 2016 Toyota Prius

William Maley

Last night in Las Vegas, Toyota introduced everyone to the forth-generation Prius. The new model promises to be more efficient and sportier than the previous model.

The 2016 Prius shares a resemblance to the Mirai hydrogen car in terms of looks. From the overall profile to the shape of the rear taillights, the fourth-generation Prius is very polarizing. Size-wise, the 2016 Prius is 2.4 inches longer, 0.6 inches wider, and 0.8 inches lower than the outgoing model. This is due to the new Prius using Toyota's New Global Architecture (TNGA).

The interior for the Prius retains a number of characteristics from previous models such as the instrument cluster positioned in the middle and the joystick control for the transmission. There is also a fair amount of white plastic around the center stack and console, reminding us of the first-generation Chevrolet Volt.

Unfortunately, Toyota didn't say anything about the Prius' powertrain or fuel economy numbers. What they did say is the new model will bring a 10 percent increase in overall fuel economy, and there will be a new Eco trim which will increase fuel economy numbers more. Toyota promises the 2016 Prius will also be fun to drive.

We'll have more information the next Prius in due time, including when it will go on sale.

Source: Toyota

Press Release is on Page 2

Beyond Possible: The Sky's the Limit for the All-New 2016 Prius at Las Vegas World Premiere Event

• Striking exterior design ushers in new hybrid era
  • New platform and rear double wishbone suspension dial up driving dynamics
  • Ten percent fuel economy improvement on core models; highest MPG without a plug
  • First vehicle based on Toyota’s New Global Architecture
  • Toyota Safety Sense system available among other safety enhancements

LAS VEGAS, Sept. 8, 2015 - - The same vehicle that pioneered the hybrid category just disrupted the status quo again. The all-new, fourth-generation Prius starred in a spectacular evening production of music, food and special effects to celebrate an industry icon in a way that was anything but expected.

More than 350 journalists, social influencers and Toyota guests watched the all-new 2016 Prius elevate into the Las Vegas night sky. After almost twenty years of shaping the world view on alternative energy vehicles, and more than 3.5 million global sales, Prius is setting out to change the world again.

Today’s consumers expect environmental credentials, and the new Prius delivers. Smaller, lighter hybrid system components, higher-energy density in the batteries, and an internal combustion engine touting ground-breaking thermal efficiency (more than forty percent), contribute to a significant advancement in fuel economy. With an expected ten percent improvement in EPA estimated MPG on core models, Prius will offer best-in-class fuel economy among vehicles without a plug. A soon-to-be unveiled Eco model will achieve an even greater improvement, strengthening Toyota’s leadership in hybrid fuel efficiency.

But it’s not just about MPG anymore. Today’s customers want all the traditional benefits of a hybrid, but don’t want to compromise on looks and performance. So Toyota upgraded the Prius inside and out to deliver the complete package - emotional styling, smarter technology and impressive MPG, in a vehicle that’s more fun to drive than ever.

“Prius set the global benchmark for hybrids, but now is breaking its own boundaries with more engaging style and fun-to-drive dynamics,” said Bill Fay, group vice president and general manager, Toyota Division. “What was once a rational purchase that for many customers focused on fuel economy, is now so much more. This Prius will invite new drivers into the category by delivering an impressive look and feel, built on the foundation of safety and eco-consciousness that define the vehicle’s heritage.”

Easy on the Eyes
The Prius’ exterior has been completely reimagined. From the side, it is longer and sleeker with the overall outline evoking an athletic shape. Inspired by a runner in the starting blocks, the sporty design conveys a feeling of forward motion.

The hood is lower and the distinctive roof peak has been moved forward. Bold character lines run along the side from the front fenders – one just above the sill that sweeps up towards the rear fender, while the upper crease morphs into the rear spoiler, which has been lowered.

The use of new standard LED headlamps minimizes the Prius’ front fascia and, at the same time, provides an arresting lighting display which helps define the vehicle’s character. The unique and striking rear combination lamps express the distinctive lines of the Prius from the rear spoiler to the trailing edges of the sides.

A palette of seven exterior colors includes an all-new Toyota hue, “Hypersonic Red.” This new color utilizes a newly developed treatment process, which results in a deep and vibrant luster highlighting the external forms.

Need a Hug?
The Prius’ new, premium interior adopts advanced technology complemented by features that are functional, fun and have high visual impact. The wrap-around dash design, form-hugging seats, ease of controls and improved visibility put the driver in complete control.

Once inside, drivers will feel immediately comfortable and impressed by styling cues that are unique in the industry. The wide instrument panel, seamlessly designed to be both functional and beautiful, gives a sense of comfort and spaciousness. Available premium white ornamentation in the lower sections of the cabin is reminiscent of fine bone china.

Efficient Development from the Start
The 2016 Prius is the first global vehicle to implement Toyota’s New Global Architecture (TNGA). TNGA aims to greatly improve core vehicle performance and enhance product appeal through an integrated development program for powertrain components and vehicle platforms. Development of vehicles is being grouped to promote strategic sharing of components with the goal of improving resource efficiency by better than twenty percent. Resources will be directed into developing advanced technologies, and most importantly even further strengthening product appeal.

A Fun-to-Drive Hybrid? A “Wish” Come True
Engineered from the ground up, the new Prius is 2.4 inches longer, 0.6 inches wider and 0.8 inches lower than the model it replaces, providing a planted on-road presence while delivering more occupant and cargo room.

Hallmarks of TNGA, a lower center of gravity and a more responsive suspension package, dial up the driving excitement. In fact, the height of the Prius’ front badge is exactly the same as that of Scion’s FR-S sports car – a remarkable achievement in height and mass reduction.

The all-new rear double wishbone suspension produces a better connection to the road, providing greater control and feedback in all driving conditions. A more rigid body helps improve responsiveness while cornering. From winding mountain roads to the wide boulevards downtown, the new Prius stays connected to the road, without sacrificing ride quality and occupant comfort.

Safety First
TNGA also provides a more rigid structural framework to help enhance occupant protection in the event of a collision. The high strength upper body is designed to distribute frontal collision impact energy. Plus, the Prius will be among the first U.S. models to offer Toyota Safety Sense (TSS), a new multi-feature advanced safety package anchored by automated pre-collision braking. TSS bundles cutting edge safety technologies including:

• Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection
  • Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist
  • Full-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
  • Automatic High Beams

Available on the new Prius, Toyota aims to make Toyota Safety Sense available across nearly the entire vehicle lineup by the end of 2017.

View full article

FAIL!!!!!  :Toyota:

Could you not make it any uglier and what is up with the cheap ass dash. They are too cheap to build proper left and right hand dashes so they have gone to the ultimate cheap center dash. Toyota truly has gone to a lower level than any other name plate.

Ugly, but not surprising. The Prius' aura has been usurped by electric cars and without that aura, it's just a bland Uber/Taxi runabout.

If they kept a sedate appearance, it'd slowly lose sales to better designed hybrid rivals from Hyundai/KIA or hyper-efficient gas offerings from the likes of Mazda or Ford. 

This thing's appearance even got coverage in tech news, which is pretty impressive given that everyone in the tech sphere was focused on the Apple announcements. That has to count for something. 

• Agree 1

Honestly.. I think it looks pretty sharp, for what it is. It is ugly but in a unique sort of way where it doesn't necessarily look 100% function over form but it still is. They gave something SUPER BLAND a little style, albeit ugly stying, but it is still way above the last gen. I'd take the unique ugly over the bland bland bland.

• 1 month later...

You know what, since it's obviously horrendous, more to this stipulation: it reminds me of a South Park episode where everyone starting driving hybrids.

Moral of the story: the smugness created by new Prius is equivalent to a collective fart from Toyota.

But aside from that... I kind of want to see this thing in person and size it up. 

• 3 months later...

The Prius Super Bowl ad is hilarious and stupid....'badass Prius'..'heck on wheels'..

https://youtu.be/KxIIi6SVuII

<iframe width="671" height="377" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KxIIi6SVuII" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

A coworker of mine is excited over the new Prius, really wants one to replace his old one...(his wife has one also, the Prius V for the family hauler).  He was going on and on today about the Super Bowl ads..

I actually saw one of the new Prii in person, it was on the campus.

I gotta say, I'm totally reversed on my opinion of it.

It's so ugly and so different that it actually looks really frickin' good.

No, really, I actually like the way it looks. It looks like nothing else, and it projects exactly the kind of person you are. I love it. Seriously.

(Expecting instant permanent colossal reduction in Present Value of Future Upvotes)

• Agree 1

No, really, I actually like the way it looks. It looks like nothing else, and it projects exactly the kind of person you are. I love it. Seriously.

(Expecting instant permanent colossal reduction in Present Value of Future Upvotes)

You OK there? Did someone smack you hard in the head? Did you missing something in your diet recently?

Come on, the Prius in person is still freakin ugly and terrible. They used their Hydrogen body style on the Prius to try and make it look good. Totally failure. Back away from the coolaid and take a deep breath you will be OK. Deep Breath, Deep Breath!

I haven't seen one in person yet but I kind of agree.. It is super ugly and quirky but because there's nothing else like it.. it's kind of neat.. 

Actually the driver was a 25 to like 29 year old, and he had a baby seat in the back as. Well. The car looks kinda long, for a hatchback. And the aside from the surface treatment, the proportions of the car are pretty good.

Like I said, many people think it's ugly...I just it's different. It's like the Jeep Cherokee. Styling that is wayyy out there, and even if it's from their hydrogen car. I like the way it looks. It's nothing else on the road, and it's true to the Prius brand identity.

Before it was staid, but it looks alright. It helped that it was red, and red really works on it. 

Look, if I wanted a hybrid for real fuel economy gains and a proven system...I'd hands down get the Prius. It's the same hybrid technology for 15 years. I mean, I don't buy into reliability claims, but it's already the 4th generation of their hybrid system. It gets 40% thermal efficiency, the most of any ICE car and honestly the base model is thousands of dollars less than a stripper midsize sedan hybrid. So you get fuel savings on top of fuel savings.

Yeah the new Malibu has nice mpg and a good silhouette, styling which if not original, just a follow-up to design trend started by Hyundai of all makes.

The front end of the new Malibu just doesn't jive with the rest of the car's clean look, IMO.

It's a cheaper car, gets better mileage if driven like a hybrid should be driven, and really what more do Prius owners want? It's finally a daily livable car as proven by the new MotorTrend Test.

Mostly it's just that I don't like to really put domestic car company blinders on when evaluating a car from what the auto journalists have to say about it. 

I noticed on the way to work yesterday morning that the neighborhood Toyota store has two of the new Priuses on the front row..a white one and a dark red one (like in the Super Bowl ads)...looking pretty badass lined up w/ the candy colored Scions and Yarises (I didn't realize they still offered a 3dr verison of teh Yaris).. ;)

. There was nothing quite like the Aztek either. Doesn't mean it didnt make Edward James Olmos look like a swimsuit model.

In all seriousness, I saw the new Prius the other day as well. Still hideous.