Make Your Best Truck

ccap41

Hellllllllo ladies and gents(actually not sure if I have run into any ladies here..lol)

Well I've done this one other time somewhere else and I thought it was a fun idea because everybody seems to like to tout their favorite truck as "the best" but that isn't true at all. They all have highs and lows but if put together you could make the perfect truck. What pieces off of what trucks would you put together to make your perfect half ton truck. Which engine, cab, transmission, bed, color, infotainment, interior configuration, etc. would you put together to make your perfect truck? Everybody's situation is different so some may want the GM 6.2 and others may want the Ford 2.7 or Ram 3.0. Some pay prefer a single cab others may want a Suburban with a bed. What would YOU make?

For starters I would go with the Ram's middle cab configuration with the 4 doors. Not the massive 4 door SUV version but the middle sized one. I don't like that Ford doesn't have a "small" 4 door version and both GM and Ram do. Also I think the Ram offers the most luxurious interior(as I'm not really going to use the truck as a full on truck very often..at all.) So give me that interior, cab and I also want the Ram Box bed from Ram as well. I love that idea. Oh, I also like the hood that is on the "express" or even the Rebel with the two "nostrils". I think that looks really sharp as well. But the body in general will be F150. I love the new F150 headlights with the LEDs. I think the biggest question for me is wat driveline would I want. If I'm being realistic keeping costs down I would go with either the 2.7 from Ford or the 5.3 from GM. It would be hard to pass up a V8 if I am making the perfect truck(and attempting to be semi-realistic about it - otherwise I would just go with the 6.0 from GM). I would probably mate that to the Ram's 9spd.because of more gears..I guess..Actually I'd just keep the GM engine/trans together and rock the 8spd. Color.. I would say it would be super easy and I'd get the FX4 package with Guard Green(so I'd get the black grill and trim and wheels) but I do'nt see Guard on their website anymore so I would probably go with "Magnetic" with the FX4 style packaging with the black grill, trim, and wheels. (I think they are actually a dark grey not black but I dig the look either way.)

Well, I think that's about my perfect half ton D3 truck. The only thing I would change would be to add the new 5.0 Cummins when that comes out..but it isn't out yet so I'll stick to the GM 5.3.

Oh yeah, I'd also like the bed steps from the GM trucks in the bumper as well.

Edited by ccap41

I always loved the space in the RAM Mega Cab model, would want the style of the GMC full size pickup with the nice and quiet Duramax Diesel, 4x4 system with the over all size of the GMC 4500 Heavy Duty Pickup Truck. I would love a dually built like this.

I work out of a '04 2500HD Silverado crew cab, so I will just list some mods I would like to make it better

• An open-able rear window, bigger than the common 12-incher… something usefully sized, like 24". You couldn't (still can't?) get a slider on a crew cab.

• Some sort of 'work bench' surface for the tailgate: T-slots in order to clamp things down, a large V groove for round items, etc. I work off my tailgate all the time.

• Suicide crew cab doors. Wow would I love this for access purposes. 

• Bed side gate, like the Cheyanne concept had (that one had a very nice interior, too).

• Lower bedside storage boxes.

I'll be honest, I'd be hard pressed to find something to change on a Sierra Denali or SLT Crew Cab 6.2. It's the best styling, paired with the best powertrain, best interior, and highest refinement levels. For an everyday truck that was seeing light work and truck duties, it'd be it all the way.

For an off-road truck, I'd happily take the Raptor as-is in it's current form. If I had to nitpick, I'd put the GM 6.2 and interior in it. Ditto for the new one, because Idk that I'd prefer the EcoBoost over the 6.2.

For a street/play truck, I'd probably want a new body Ford Single Cab 2WD with the GM 6.2, or supercharged Toyota 5.7.

• Disagree 1

I'll take:

F150 Crewcab with Lariat Sport Appearance Package

- EcoBoost 35 (Same as the upcoming Raptor)

- ZF HP8 

- Ram Air Suspension

- Ford's F150 Limited Interior

- GM's OnStar

- Ford Sync 3

- A Midnight theme appearance adapted for an F150 OR Ford's Special 3 Step 'not-for-production' Blue colour that made an appearance for the Ford         Performance debut along with the Ford GT 

- No vinyl labels on the bed sides

- Cornerstep bumper

for me i've always liked the idea of a bare bones utility burban, something that has long fallen off the map for buyers since the 90's. i would like a burban with just 2 row seating with vinyl front to back in the floor, nice durable cloth seats, big honking 6.6 with a shift yourself transmission, and manual shift 4x4 as well. slap some barn doors on the back and some dana 44's front and rear with at least 9" of ground clearance and call it a day. 

for me i've always liked the idea of a bare bones utility burban, something that has long fallen off the map for buyers since the 90's. i would like a burban with just 2 row seating with vinyl front to back in the floor, nice durable cloth seats, big honking 6.6 with a shift yourself transmission, and manual shift 4x4 as well. slap some barn doors on the back and some dana 44's front and rear with at least 9" of ground clearance and call it a day. 

I like this idea but lets add one thing I think GM should have done long ago, take from their Vans, the Mini Stage Coach Doors with Flip up solid glass window. This way you get maximum vision with the ease of access from the Mini Stage Coach Doors. The Vans had them, why not the Suburban. Dump the solid full size lift gate that most people cannot open without an electric motor.

If we are going strictly by pickups, my Frankenride would be:

-Ram 1500 Laramie Limited body, air suspension,

and interior.

-GM chassis, with the 6.2 and eight-speed auto.

If we were to include full-size SUV stuff here, I would go with something rather different:

-Cadillac Escalade interior and front-end styling on a crew cab GM body.

-Ram HD chassis, optional air-levelling suspension, and a dualie rear axle.

-Allison-Duramax powertrain. Well, maybe the Cummins-Aisin. Flip a coin.

-An extended-range frame-mount tank. I'm sure Titan would offer something.

For extreme opposite of the 2017 Raptor I'll MAKE a street/strip terror.

Use the featherweight reg cab 2015 F-150 ( short box ). Add the upcoming Ford GT killer 3.5L EcoBoost, transmission and a street/strip tuned version of the 2017 Raptor 4WD, keep interior all business ( no nav, roll up windows etc ), keep exterior clear of lane graphics etc and cover this monster in Ingot Silver.

• Disagree 2

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Ok, I will elaborate in detail as well.

-crew cab roominess with sliding glass roof

-LED package throughout, including bed

-mega off road package (tires, shocks, skid plates, suspension travel, differentials, etc.)

-light weight aluminum

-tail bed & side bed deployable steps

-key fob controlled bed

-sync 3

-450hp twin turbo engine that can be easily updated for future use

-10 speed transmission

-tough and cool looking that gets looks

-All available in one year, by Ford

That's what I was hoping to avoid... because it isn't true.

Huh?

How do you know what is perfect for me?

i'll bite. i think the OP's objective here was to have an exercise in creativity with a "lego bucket" of sorts from the major manufacturers... as much blind brand loyalty we choose to exhibit, if we are honest with ourselves, theres always going to be some shoulda coulda woulda thoughts on how it would be better. he may not mean he knows whats perfect for you specifically, just that if you had the option to change something you probably would. 

Spot. On, Brother!

For instance, I guarantee Wings would prefer to have either the 8spd or 9spd from GM or Ram in his F150, at the very least.

If we are going strictly by pickups, my Frankenride would be:

-Ram 1500 Laramie Limited body, air suspension,

and interior.

-GM chassis, with the 6.2 and eight-speed auto.

If we were to include full-size SUV stuff here, I would go with something rather different:

-Cadillac Escalade interior and front-end styling on a crew cab GM body.

-Ram HD chassis, optional air-levelling suspension, and a dualie rear axle.

-Allison-Duramax powertrain. Well, maybe the Cummins-Aisin. Flip a coin.

-An extended-range frame-mount tank. I'm sure Titan would offer something.

Nice Air Suspension call, I totally left that out and with how my truck would be utilized..I would definitely want that kind of ride.

2017 Raptor SuperCab draped in Ingot Silver.

..too bad that isn't available right now.. ;)

This is actually one thing that I wanted to keep in check because future vehicles is kind of endless "modifications". If we could ONLY utilize parts and things from vehicles currently for sale, that'd be great..lol Otherwise I'd probably go with a Raptor with the 6.2 and still most likely the Ram interior but I don't know what the '17 Raptor's interior will be like.

Edited by ccap41
  • Agree 1

(fluff fluff fluff fluff)

Well, if we want to go by what could be available next year then I will spot you all that for an LT4.

Of course, it's always "wait'll next year" with you.

Yeesh

Edited by El Kabong

'Bong, do you have the air suspension on your Ram? If so, is it as good as everybody makes it out to be?

I do. And by and large it is.

The only thing you have to be aware of in my experience is when you enter and exit parking garages and whatnot. Go slow over speed bumps or your already bottomed-out truck will jolt you pretty good. Then manually jack it ASAP rather than wait for the truck to hit the preset speed.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

-crew cab roominess with sliding glass roof

-LED package throughout, including bed

-mega off road package (tires, shocks, skid plates, suspension travel, differentials, etc.)

-light weight aluminum

-tail bed & side bed deployable steps

-key fob controlled bed

-sync 3

-450hp twin turbo engine that can be easily updated for future use

-10 speed transmission

-tough and cool looking that gets looks

....Or, just give me Today's Raptor with EcoBoost upgrade, and I'm good to go.

Edited by Wings4Life

OK...I think I got it...because I dont do trucks...so bare with me...

Take this exact same truck...powertrain and looks...(yes....SRT-10 )

6a00d83451b18a69e20162ff56a195970d-600wi

But we use the Quad Cab

dodge-ram-srt-10-krasnyy-most.jpg

and we make it into an Avalanche...we keep the Ram's V10, hood, front clip, headlights and front fenders, and we mate that unto a Chevy Avalanche GMT 900 body....

Frame? Whatever frame is better suited to accommodate that V10...

163_0802_01z_2007_spl_chevrolet_avalanch

With Ford F150 aluminium panels...for lighter weight...to go even faster...

There...I took traits from all three Domestic trucks...and Im quite happy with the result...

:closedeyes:  (that is me being all smug about it!) 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

'Bong, do you have the air suspension on your Ram? If so, is it as good as everybody makes it out to be?

I do. And by and large it is.

The only thing you have to be aware of in my experience is when you enter and exit parking garages and whatnot. Go slow over speed bumps or your already bottomed-out truck will jolt you pretty good. Then manually jack it ASAP rather than wait for the truck to hit the preset speed.

That's awesome, man.

Yeah that makes sense. That's awesome that you have the ability to lower and raise it basically at will. How fast does it have to go before automatically raising it back up?

You have five heights to work with: Off-Road 2, Off-Road 1, Normal, Aero, and Entry/Exit. The truck will only cycle itself between Normal and Aero, the others you have to do manually. It drops into Aero around 60mph and goes back up to Normal when you drop below 35 or so. It's pretty seamless at speed, I'd guess it takes about five-seven seconds to do its thing. It also self-levels for trailering. Very cool.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a perverse fetish for the black bumper, base model Silverado shortbed regular cab 4X4.  In Rainforest green with 4.3L V6 and six speed manual (if it existed) transmission, and 3.73 rear gears with the excellent G80 locking differential.  I would install Cragar Soft 8 black steelies with beefy BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A tires, black side out.  rubber floors, but power windows/locks/mirrors and keyless entry.  Dark windows.  If that truck existed in the form of a person, I would be all kinds of in love.