Wings4Life(BANNED)

Ford GT Coming With 630 HP And 539 LB-FT, According To 'Forza Motorsport 6'

At the debut of its new GT supercar back at January’s Detroit Auto Show, the Ford Motor Company [NYSE:F] would only say that the final version due in showrooms next year will have more than 600 horsepower. How much more is a question that’s been bugging fans ever since, though we may finally have an idea via an unlikely source:Forza Motorsport 6.

The new video game has just hit store shelves and the hero car is none other than the GT. Select the car and look up its specs and, according to the game at least, the new Ford supercar is packing 630 horsepower and 539 pound-feet of torque. Other interesting tidbits revealed in the game include a weight of 2,890 lbs and a 43-57 front-rear weight distribution.

We’d take these figures with a grain of salt and all that because it’s more likely Ford will want to announce the GT’s last specs itself. It’s also possible that Ford may dial up the output upon release now that rivals like the Ferrari 488 GTB and McLaren 675LT are both dishing out more than 650 hp.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/ford-gt-coming-630-hp-539-lb-ft-160000517.html

Hypothetical, although not too far from what I have heard.

But it's not about the power, but the power to weight, and I hear this thing will astound at how light it is.

• Upvote 1

Interesting, good find, wish it had better torque, would love to see the final graph on torque to HP. Just have to wait!  :deathwatch:

Torque in a light weight vehicle is not needed.

Although, that's a crap load available and with a flat curve and in a vehicle that will probably weigh little more than a Focus.

It's about high rpm HP in a vehicle like this.

Think F1 levels of HP, although this will have twice the torque of those.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Meh, I prefer the first GT redux from several years back.  This thing is a stinkin' V6, for crying out loud.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Although, that's a crap load available and with a flat curve and in a vehicle that will probably weigh little more than a Focus.

Torque is always needed...

Albeit Ill agree about the high RPM horsepower in this type of vehicle is necessary and welcomed...

The funny thing about it though...if Ford would have gone Voodoo with the GT at 530HP/430 ft.lbs, I woudnt feel compelled to complain.

But in ecoboost V6 trim...it had better have more than 630HP/540 ft.lbs torque...just because the rivals have at least 650HP...

Now...I think the GT will come close to 650...which will be fine by me...but I wont accept lower than 650...and I dont care how much it weighs..because what the Voodoo lacks in power...it has in coolness in spades...by the way of the design of a 5.2 liter flat plane crank and sound made by angels...

The ecoboost sounds like shyte and doesnt have the exotic credentials...so it BETTER have the cojones to back up the performance cred...and by that I mean...it better spank the rival's asses...because if it dont kick ass in the performance area...its a bust for me...

In other words...the Ford GT with an ecoboosted V6 better be the fastest and the quickest and the best handling automobile when it comes out...it better be the fastest around the Nürburgring...I could deal with it if it doesnt break all the records...but it MUST beat and own at least 2...it must hold at the VERY least...2 records...

Edited by oldshurst442

Torque is always needed...

Albeit Ill agree about the high RPM horsepower in this type of vehicle is necessary and welcomed...

The funny thing about it though...if Ford would have gone Voodoo with the GT at 530HP/430 ft.lbs, I woudnt feel compelled to complain.

But in ecoboost V6 trim...it had better have more than 630HP/540 ft.lbs torque...just because the rivals have at least 650HP...

Now...I think the GT will come close to 650...which will be fine by me...but I wont accept lower than 650...and I dont care how much it weighs..because what the Voodoo lacks in power...it has in coolness in spades...by the way of the design of a 5.2 liter flat plane crank and sound made by angels...

The ecoboost sounds like shyte and doesnt have the exotic credentials...so it BETTER have the cojones to back up the performance cred...and by that I mean...it better spank the rival's asses...because if it dont kick ass in the performance area...its a bust for me...

In other words...the Ford GT with an ecoboosted V6 better be the fastest and the quickest and the best handling automobile when it comes out...it better be the fastest around the Nürburgring...I could deal with it if it doesnt break all the records...but it MUST beat and own at least 2...it must hold at the VERY least...2 records...

Appreciate the thoughts olds.

Couple points or thoughts.

Of course torque is important, and there is certainly no shortage at what will probably be closer to 550 ftlbs in a vehicle that weighs as much as a Focus.  But the torque amount becomes less important, was my point, when you are spinning at higher rpm where hp becomes the motivation.

And final numbers are nice to discuss, but like I mentioned, power to weight is the big one. It should be impressive.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I downvoted the above comment because you directly contradicted yourself from the post where you said "torque is not important."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Meh, I prefer the first GT redux from several years back.  This thing is a stinkin' V6, for crying out loud.

Classy good looks.

Chic and elegant while have all the right go fast cues in the right places. Not overly done.

2006_FordGT_Pic1.jpg

32718_765.jpg

The new age GT

A somewhat revolutionary design that was a must, in my opinion, but still unmistakably  recognizable as a GT.

Somewhat a bit more boyracer for my tastes , but functional...so I welcome it either way...

2016-Ford-GT-front-view.jpg

2016_ford_gt_rear-620x351.png

I LOVE both versions with a nod more towards the retro styled GT as my favorite...although with the new age GT , the retro GT DOES seem outdated and out-styled...

Ford Taurus SHO sourced ecoboost V6 versus Ford F-150 Lightning pick-up truck sourced supercharged V8?

I dont know...but I think the Ford F-150 Lightning supercharged V8 is where I might be leaning towards...after all, some tuners were getting 1000/1500 and even 2000 horsepower outta that engine... 

We will see what the tuners will be getting outta the ecoboost...but...*SIGH*... Im afraid there is not much to do with that awe full sound it makes...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 1

It will follow in the path of the Jag XJ220 and Lexus LFA.

Elaborate please..

Mid engined 600+hp and sub(projected) 3000lb car is some incredible ratios. The same jag weighed 3250lbs and produced around 540hp. That's a significant swing to 3000lbs(supposedly) and 630hp(supposedly). The LFA was prototyped for a long time as was the XJ220 and the GT was only open to the public for about 2 years till production(supposedly as well). Not really the same comparison. The only real comparison to the XJ is the engine displacement and twin turbo. The LFA was front engine and a V10. Very very different car. At least the XJ is a similar style and class of car. The LFA is more of a SLS AMG Black style car.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

There are plenty of cars that have deceptively lower horsepower and torque figures comparative to their classes; yet have better lap times due to how well everything else is sorted.  

Besides, this will be a product available to customers across the globe. Does no one want a product from the home team to finally be able to command real exotic level prices? So many times we have wanted American cars to compete on a performance of intended function level; and now that we see it across virtually every segment; it is definitely time that American cars are also priced like the superior products they are. As it stands, there's so much still unknown about the GT, dismissing it at this time is just stupidity.

I would want a European/Oil Sheik/Chinese billionaire person to shell atleast $400k for a GT or even a future mid-engined Corvette. Why are we so rigid that an American car always has to adhere to a very high performance to price ratio? Who made it so that is the definition of American performance? Why not take advantage of the intangibles that are provided by such a striking design; and the heritage of the nameplate to build brand equity? It makes for great strategic positioning of the brand, even though it's a money losing affair. This car isn't being built to make money no matter what power-train is used; which drive-train configuration is used or the platform it's developed on. Everything is bespoke; but is also a technology demonstrator. I think it's a brilliant move to push Ford performance into something more than just special editions of existing cars. 

If this car delivers on its targets, then it'll do just fine. It's pretty evident just by how the car looks that it will be a benchmark in light weight and aerodynamics. Ford co-developed the car in North America with Multi-Matic; and Multi-matic has a terrific reputation. 

It's going to help create usher in a new era for American exotics.

Edited by Suaviloquent
  • Upvote 1

It is a Ford that will cost 400 grand, pack a V6, have less horsepower and torque than a Corvette (assuming these numbers are accurate), and it's hitting the market during the deepest global recession since 2007-08.

In other words, Ford's minuscule build quantity will be the only thing it has going for it. the Aventador is less expensive, and the McLaren 650S and Ferrari 488 have it on price, power, cylinder count, and prestige. That ain't trolling-that's just the way It is.

Edited by El Kabong
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm sorry kiddies.

But that's just the way it is.

LOL@childish fordies

Edited by El Kabong
  • Downvote 3

It is a Ford that will cost 400 grand, pack a V6, have less horsepower and torque than a Corvette (assuming these numbers are accurate), and it's hitting the market during the deepest global recession since 2007-08.

In other words, Ford's minuscule build quantity will be the only thing it has going for it. the Aventador is less expensive, and the McLaren 650S and Ferrari 488 have it on price, power, cylinder count, and prestige. That ain't trolling-that's just the way It is.

Like our grandparents who went through the Great depression of their age, The US depression was from 2007 to 2012 and do not let the Gov Pricks or idiots in Media say otherwise. When you have record foreclosures for 5 years straight that destroyed families and people, this is not a single year depression or Great Recession as the Lying Politicians say. We had another GREAT DEPRESSION!

Now back to our regularly scheduled Banter on FORD!.

I personally like the style, performance to weight ratio and am impressed with this GT, Fail on price as $400K is a bit extreme for a ford.

Impressive numbers, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it stands out in any way, and I don't feel it's a good value. It'll cause some ruckus when it's launched, and then be relegated to a footnote in supercar history is my guess. It certainly won't go down as one of the greats.

• Downvote 1

Guest wings4life

As we debate price/value of this thing, just curious as to how many other CF intensive, all out race cars, have been produced in the past.  As a reference price point.  Anybody know?

Impressive numbers, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it stands out in any way, and I don't feel it's a good value. It'll cause some ruckus when it's launched, and then be relegated to a footnote in supercar history is my guess. It certainly won't go down as one of the greats.

I would disagree with you as this car will go down in history and if it performs like they are engineering it to do it will make a notice that others will look at and take into consideration.

I'm sorry kiddies.

But that's just the way it is.

LOL@childish fordies

Well it's a shame that you're so willing to dismiss the car; even though it does push boundaries for an American car; for all American brands; really.

But you said it yourself; "To me brand snobbery is buying a brand for the sake of the name, not what the brand is capable of manufacturing."

So people may remain brand snobs of Ferrari or Lamborghini; but as of this time, it's only Ford; the only American manufacturer that I will add that we can confirm that will have a production mid-engine supercar for the 2016 model year.

They spared no expenses. The aerodynamics will save precious seconds during lap times; and the pricing will add prestige to the Ford performance product portfolio. And good grief; give the power-train the benefit of doubt; someone will surely get to drive the GT an comment about it.

I don't think 400k is unreasonable for the same reason all exotics are expensive. No car in this realm can be considered a value; if a person can buy a Ford GT they can sure as hell get a Ferrari 488 GTB or Lamborghini Aventador or vice-versa. Look at the Pagani Huayra. All it's got to it's name is its styling and bespoke interior. But it's no performance champ at it's price. 

Besides; these video game power and torque numbers might as well have been pulled out of a hat. 

Edited by Suaviloquent
  • Upvote 1

Mostly correct. And yes, I predicated my statements with "IF the numbers are accurate."

...and I stick to my guns on the rest. It has too few cylinders and not enough power for 400 large. And it's a shame, because the rest of the car is shaping up to be frickin' brilliant.

Ford appears to have forgotten what made the last GT so brilliant: exotic layout, exciting engine, somewhat reasonable price. With the latest one they're only batting one for three.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In the "super car" realm what constitutes as "reasonably" priced when we don't know how it is going to perform? For all we know it may be the hands down performance champ at 400k.. Maybe it'll run the 'Ring in 6 minutes flat(exageration to make a point) then 400k is a bargain because even pricier cars can't do that. Judging it on cylinder count and price is kind of absurd at this point

Also, nobody here knows how exciting or not exciting the engine is.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook