• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

ccap41

ccap41's 2013 Escape

Helllllllo everybody,

I have been wanting to start my own thread on my own vehicle for quite some time now and I just tend to forget when I have the opportunity to do so. It probably don't be anything special but weekly fuel updates for the most part, oil changes, and modifications if I choose to go down that route(If I do it sure as heck won't be anything drastic because it's a '13 Escape and it would look SUPER-RICE).

A little down low of what it is and when I bought it.

I bought it last November(the 11th, I believe). I had sold my Mach 1 about two weeks prior and I was driving my brother's car while he was away at school for the semester(actually my first car as well - 1995 Beretta Z26!!). Once I get in the car shopping mode I tend to check craisglist/autotrader/ANY classified ad I can multiple times per day to try and not miss out on anything. I get a little obsessive. So, I found what I was looking for (newest generation, Titanium(everything except nav and backup camera but it does have MFT still), AWD, 2.0T, Silver/white/black, and it had the 19's(pricey to replace but I knew that going in to it)). It was silver. It was about an hour drive. Not bad considering the last 3 vehicles I looked at (C350,1 Mach 1 I didn't buy, 1 Mach 1 I did buy) were all 4-5 hours away. Went on a Saturday afternoon and test drove her and picked it up. It was actually at a Jeep/Chrysler/Ram dealer and there was a yellow Viper inside and a gnarly black on black JGC SRT out front. Oh, also, the dealer I was talking to tried to tell me that Vipers only come in automatic now...sigh... The one IN THEIR DEALER was a manual.

Anyway, so I've had it for doing on a year and I'm very satisfied with it so far. Fuel economy is stellar coming from my Mach 1. The 2.0t is enough to keep me entertained but no rocket. I wouldn't want any less power(240hp/270tq). I think the trans shifts 90% of the time when I would had it been a manual so that is good. I hate when vehicles don't shift(up or down) when you WANT it to.

I think the one thing about it that is annoying is the power tailgate. It CAN be very useful and it has helped out with the whole "waving foot under bumper" when my hands have been full. BUT, and there's a big BUT for me. You look like a jackass every time you have to open it. You can't just pull it up manually because the power system controls it the whole way. So if you walk around back and hit the button(fob, dash, or on the tailgate itself) you sit back there and just watch it go up slowly like somebody who can't do anything for them self. That'd be my largest complaint.

I guess the second complaint is the sensitivity to winter blended fuel. The power doesn't seem to drop off that drastically but the fuel consumption drops considerably in the winter months. We're talking about 21-22mpg average in the winter and 24-26mpg average in the summer. I don't drive differently. The idle time increases only slightly as I don't like to waste fuel idling anyway.

Well, that is it for now. I’ll keep it updated.

Any questions or comments are more than welcome.

WHERE ARE PICS?!?

My coverband's lead guitarist bought a 2014 Escape SE 1.6EB. He really, really likes it. He started with a 2008 Mustang GT with the Ford performance supercharger and a few other mods. He traded it in when he needed something practical and bounced around between a few used CUVs before getting fed up and buying the new Escape.

Would you consider a tuner for the 2.0T at some point? These turbo engines can make great gains safely on stock hardware.

WHERE ARE PICS?!?

My coverband's lead guitarist bought a 2014 Escape SE 1.6EB. He really, really likes it. He started with a 2008 Mustang GT with the Ford performance supercharger and a few other mods. He traded it in when he needed something practical and bounced around between a few used CUVs before getting fed up and buying the new Escape.

Would you consider a tuner for the 2.0T at some point? These turbo engines can make great gains safely on stock hardware.

Haha I forgot about pics but I do have 1 or 2 in my "garage".  Niiiice your friend downgraded in the man-world as well! I needed something practical as well.. Something I couldn't just get rid of in a year like I've done a handful of times.

I would consider a tuner for it but the tuners themselves aren't cheap(which isn't the bad part) which I understand but having to pay one of the few that make tunes for the Escape's 2.0 is another few hundo on top of the tuner. These 2.0T do have quite a bit of potential. From what I hear the auto trans is the biggest weak link which is one reason the Focus ST only has a stick. I don't think anybody has pushed their Escapes to the point of breaking anything in the trans but I'm prety certain that that is by far the biggest weak link in making a bunch of power because you can do almost anything to these as you can the Focus ST. That was one thing that helped sell me on the car in general, knowing there was a decent aftermarket if I choose to go that route.

I guess I'll post my most recent fillup to start.

9/6/2015

327miles

12.76 gallons

=25.63mpg

BP 87 Octane

Oh, I also try and keep my tires set at 38psi all the way around and use a "top tier" fuel source.

I've played around with all three here and I haven't noticed any measurable difference. The biggest difference I noticed was the changeover from winter blend to summer blend fuel. The first few months of owning it I still only used premium then I tried 89 and now 87. I tried to get a good sample size of consecutive tanks with the same station and same grade before changing grades or stations. I was using the same Shell station in my town and I noticed nothing measurable from octane to octane. Some on the Escape forum I'm on will swear they get 2mpg better with premium over regular 87 but I haven't noticed anything. Also, There aren't any stations within an hour to two hours that doesn't have a 10% ethanol blend. I hear that makes an actual difference with economy but I'm blessed with all corn blend junk fuel. lol

Now I still try and use 89 because it makes me feel better unless the spread on $/gallon is ridiculous. ..Like this.. $0.30/gallon. No thank You.

1C843141-4344-484E-84AE-2BFB56D5F058_zps

Going from 93 octane to 89 to 87 in order is going to lessen the measurable difference, but I digress. At least you tried the different fuels, unlike sheep that default to 87 octane because "uhh whats an octane, besides expensive?"

I believe you and I might have very similar transmissions, if it's the in-house Ford/GM 6-speed and not outsourced like Ford used in some applications. It's rated for 300-315 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque, but the most popular performance tune for the Malibu turbo makes something like 315 hp/330 lb-ft (from Trifecta) and they swear the transmission and engine are completely safe based on torture testing. I wouldn't want to go that high, but it's good info to have.

This weeks update:

First, I've noticed my tires are starting to get a little noisy. I notice a little hum that I never used to hear. Though faint or nonexistent to others I'm starting to hear them. Which sucks because they still have a lot of tread left(around 5-6/32nds). Unless they get super loud in the next few thousand miles I'll just eat it and wait till they wear down to replace.

Fuel economy update:

343 miles

13.0 gallons

26.38mpg

Computer read 26.0mpg

That was on Phillips 66 87 octane.

Super frustrating. I don't know why but the pump didn't automatically shut off and a good 2 seconds worth of gas spilled out on the side of my car. The display read 13.18gallons so I rounded down as a guess to 13.0 for this fill up.

Regular was 2.12/gallon

89 octane was 2.32/gallon

This fill up is Phillips 66 89 octane.

Cruise set at 50mph with an 11mph tail wind. It's amazing how much wind resistance effects fuel mileage. Very flat land too..mid west..

Edit: damnit. Apparently I bitched the GIF but the instant mpg was bouncing between 45-52mpg.

Edited by ccap41

First, The previous post was supposed to say "botched" not "bitched" lol

Little fuel economy update.

I saw gas on my way home from work/school Monday night at $2.46/reg which would have been a nearly 0.40 jump from the day before so when I got back to town I checked my local Phillips 66 and it was still $2.08/reg so I filled up even with 3/4 tank left. 

9/21/2015

99 Miles

3.84 Gallons

25.8mpg

Computer read 26.1mpg

Phillips 66 89 octane

Regular 87 octane: $2.08/gal

Mid grade 89 octane $2.28/gal

BE82CA62-14B1-4804-BF90-8FBE9E29D148_zps

Edited by ccap41
  • Upvote 1

I'm about a week late but oh well.

10/1/2015

329 Miles

12.55 Gallons

26.22mpg

Computer read 26.6mpg

Phillips 66 89 octane

Regular 87 octane: $2.24/gal

Mid grade 89 octane $2.44/gal

So... I hate that "top tier" stations have a $0.20/gal difference between grades now. For the longest time I remember it only being a $0.10/gal spread from grade to grade. That's making it less and less likely I'll use premium unless I have a performance car and I'm taking it to a track or have a 91/93 octance tune on it.

87 octance fillup(at the above price and gallons): 27.86

91 octace fill up: 33.13.

Theoretically... if all things stayed constant and I filled up once a week(I usually do) that's an extra $275 a year.

Edited by ccap41

I've been hitting the top tier stations more myself....seems to extra cost is paying for itself in MPGs though....

Good lookin car, by the way....

I've been hitting the top tier stations more myself....seems to extra cost is paying for itself in MPGs though....

Good lookin car, by the way....

I always try to hit up a top tier station. It seems like the regular 87 octane is always the same or only a penny or two different. It's the jumps from grade to grade that show more of a jump in price, at least around here. Actually, since owning this car I haven't used a non-top tier staion. I used to, in the past, just use whatever but with the whole direct injection and turbo and the cost being minimal it at least makes me feel better. That could very well be all that it s doing...for all I know.

Thank You! I try and keep her clean.. it's the least I can do to make a super average car look better than the rest of them. lol

Costco gas is awesome, great price.

Everett Washington, $2.24 per gallon 87 octane, $2.47 per gallon, super 92 octane.

Costco gas is awesome, great price.

Everett Washington, $2.24 per gallon 87 octane, $2.47 per gallon, super 92 octane.

Yeah I saw recently that Costco is a TopTier fuel source as well. Wow, I wish our top tier stations were only a $0.23/gal difference from 87 to 91/93(I've never seen 92 in my area, for whatever reason.) We either have 87/89/91 octane or 87/89/93 octane. I've seen other octanes while traveling. Weird stations that have like every octane available like 87/88/89/90/91 I thought that was super unnessesary.

Oh, we also don't have Costcos around here. We have Sams Clubs.. I believe they are similar but I actually don't think I've ever been in a Costco so I could very well be 180 degrees off.

10/8/2015

326 Miles

12.65 Gallons

25.77mpg

Computer read 26.1mpg

Phillips 66 89 octane

Regular 87 octane: $2.38/gal

Mid grade 89 octane $2.58/gal

I've been trying to hit up the same pump at the same station like I used to to see if the computer and hand calculations get closer because they have in the past but it looks like they are still off a few tenths.

I guess at some point I could have put my most recent oil change on here as well. It's been about 2000 miles already sinse I did it but I'll post it. I tend to like to change at 5000 miles just because I feel better about it but I know this next one will be over that because I'm heading into winter and I know the oil can go 10,000 miles. Long gone are the days of 3000 miles oil changes. The cheapest name brand oil will get you 5000 miles now, unless it is strictly city miles but that's rare.

4990miles

Out: 5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum w/ a Purolator Synthetic filter

In: 5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum w/ a Bosch Premium filter

5.7Qts

Do we have any oil guys here?!?!? We can start our own oil change thread.

Well, I got a little behind lately..forgetting to update and all.

10/17/2015

318 Miles

12.21 Gallons

26.04mpg

Computer read 25.7mpg

Shell 89 octane

Regular 87 octane: $1.99/gal

Mid grade 89 octane $2.14/gal

---------------------------------------------------------

10/24/2015

279 Miles

10.94 Gallons

25.50mpg

Computer read 26.1mpg

Shell 89 octane

Regular 87 octane: $2.09/gal

Mid grade 89 octane $2.24/gal

I'm sure the junk winter blend fuel is on its way.. I'm not looking forward to it. I will instantly lose 2-3mpg. At least that is what I gained when spring/summer came around this year. I'll have to look it up.

Edit: "Gas stations can start pumping winter blend gasoline on September 16th, 2015."
Read more at https://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/Winter-is-coming-blend-gasoline-that-is/1715-624295-3273.aspx#fBm1S5e5wk1GXoPg.99

Hmmm...Interesting..

Edited by ccap41

Shame you don't have Costco... I only fill up there when I can help it and they're usually a good 15 cents cheaper than anyone in the region

Shame you don't have Costco... I only fill up there when I can help it and they're usually a good 15 cents cheaper than anyone in the region

No $h!? $0.15 adds up pretty quick too. Definitely no Costcos around here..

I have a car payment due today so I found out today is my 1year anniversary of "owning" my Escape. 11/29/14 was the purchase date. That's pretty neat.

Oh, also, with the weather looking like it isn't going to warm up anymore for the rest of the year I checked my tires and as I expected they were all 2-2.5psi lower than I keep them so I brought them all back up to 38psi.

i missed this thread earlier, congrats on the Escape, it is the total package.

I have been considering one.  The 1.6 is a nice people mover but it would be hard to bypass the 2.0 since its available. 

Your gas mileage updates are very handy!  26 mpg from an AWD vehicle with any scoot is pretty good!

The equinox has such a nice flexible back seat but the powertrain and road manners of the Escape are so good, it can make owning a CUV rewarding.

i missed this thread earlier, congrats on the Escape, it is the total package.

I have been considering one.  The 1.6 is a nice people mover but it would be hard to bypass the 2.0 since its available. 

Your gas mileage updates are very handy!  26 mpg from an AWD vehicle with any scoot is pretty good!

The equinox has such a nice flexible back seat but the powertrain and road manners of the Escape are so good, it can make owning a CUV rewarding.

Thanks!

First, I have to admit I must have walked through a cloud of something yesterday. When I was making my car payment I was absolutely convinced yesterday was November 28th. I have no clue why at all, but I legitimately thought it was November and after Thanksgiving, lol. So it hasn't been a year but 11 months.

I actually never even drove the 1.6 as I was kind of set on the 2.0 before even driving it. I knew I would want something that could keep my inner enthusiast entertained while also driving a people movier. I actually hate the way the Equinox looks but really like how the Terrains look. And the thing I didn't/don't like about the current 'Nox/Terrain is their powertrains. They're just dated at this point. The 3.6 puts out good power but abismal mileage(16/23 for AWD - those are truck numbers) and the 2.4 is decent in the mileage part but being a n/a inline 4 it has a weak bottom end.

I can honestly say that after a year(almost - lol) that I'm not tired of it at all. I tend to go through vehicles fairly quick and I honestly still enjoy driving this every time I get in it. Now I'm not an aggressive driver and I am usually fuel concious so keep that in mind as well.

If you're even more curious about my mileage I have a fuelly page as well that you can look back to every fill up from when I bought it

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/escape/2013/ccap41/332629

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.