• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Wings4Life(BANNED)

Ford's Bet On Lightweight Aluminum Is Just Beginning

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2015/09/15/fords-bet-on-lightweight-aluminum-is-only-just-beginning/

When Ford Motor redesigned the F-150 pickup from lightweight aluminum, many thought the company was crazy to risk messing with the successful formula behind its best-selling vehicle. There were other ways to meet tougher fuel economy standards than using costly aluminum, some competitors argued.

But rather than backing off, Ford is signaling it plans to use even more aluminum in future vehicles, including its new super-duty trucks, which go on sale next year.

The automaker is teaming up with aluminum supplier Alcoa AA +0.00% to develop future high-strength alloys that will be easier to form into complex shapes, giving engineers new freedom to incorporate the lightweight material into their designs.

Ford is the first automaker to use Alcoa’s new proprietary Micromill technology, which produces an aluminum alloy that is 40 percent more formable than today’s automotive aluminum and 30 percent stronger and 30 percent lighter than high-strength steel. It allows Ford to design complex, creased parts from aluminum that were not possible before, such as the inside panels of car doors and external fenders. “This high-tech aluminum will give Ford a true material edge enabling greater design flexibility and better vehicle performance – making the concept cars of tomorrow a reality,” Alcoa’s Chief Executive Klaus Kleinfled said Monday during a visit to Ford’s research and innovation center in Dearborn, Mich.

The advanced material will be used in a handful parts, like tailgate reinforcements, in the 2016 Ford F-150, available this fall. The company said it expects to double its use of Micromill material between 2016 and 2017.

“Light-weighting enables us to design vehicles with great customer attributes, like the F-150, which can tow more, haul more, accelerate quicker and stop faster than the previous F-150, and is more fuel-efficient than ever, said Raj Nair, Ford’s product development head and chief technical officer.

Alcoa announced its breakthrough aluminum manufacturing process last December. By rapidly cooling molten metal as it is fed directly into the rollers (instead of formed into a block, or ingot, for additional processing), the microstructure of the material itself is altered. That’s what accounts for its impressive strength characteristics. The technology also requires 75 percent less factory space – hence, its “Micromill” name — and the entire process of turning molten metal into coiled aluminum now takes just 20 minutes, vs. about 20 days for a traditional rolling mill.

There was mention of this in another thread, but it's worthy of it's own.

And great to see sales climbing back to normal levels, even with such a small fleet mix. Ford says lots of room to bolster their numbers by years end with more fleet.

• Upvote 1

Ford = bunch of goofballs with all this unnecessary aluminum crap.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Interesting that they appear to be abandoning the separate sheetmetal for half-tons and HD trucks. A good move for per-unit costs. I would say something about 1000 lb-ft of torque but I was told by someone that diesels cause cancer, so I can only assume that Ford is preparing this engine as a weapon of genocide.

I'll leave you to figure out the sarcasm from the serious in the above post :D

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Guest wings4life

I refuse to believe that bong is so dumb as to not recognize the vast difference in requirements between a work/haul/tow vehicle…..and 11 million so called ‘Clean Diesel’ vehicles that customers were lied to and purchased to save the environment and money on a marketed name, when there are clearly other choices that are far cleaner than Diesel.  How many other choices are there for towing 30,000lbs I wonder? How about none.  So with that, I have decided this is business as usual from our resident Ford troll, and thus, 2 down votes.

Regarding the truck, looks like yet another winner from the brand that brought you this segment that others have copied.  Really like the clean, strong look.  Love how they integrated the dually fender flares. 

Kudos to Ford, for making delivering a stronger, more efficient product, that also benefits from extreme weight reduction in so many ways.

Actually, my rep count is up since last night. Guess people like me pointing out your hypocrisy :D

Now, a couple serious observations.

The truck is what it is. Ford appears to be consolidating its body panel design to make per-unit costs better. They claim that it weighs 300 pounds or so less, which seems plausible. They also claim the frame is over twenty times stiffer, which tells me that they have either found a new way to distribute tow/haul stresses through the vehicle or the last frame was an ancient flexi-flyer. The thing is, these trucks are often exempt from CAFE and EPA FE regs because of their weight, so how much better the new truck's FE will be will likely remain a mystery. It would possibly explain Ford's reluctance to go all crazy with the weight-loss claims: maybe if you drop it too much the Feds start paying attention.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Doesn't the tow vehicle's weight have a lot to do with controlling the load when we're talking north of 30,000lbs? Like, it can't be a 4000lb truck trying to tow 30,000lbs, right(in theory)?

Guest wings4life

Actually, my rep count is up since last night. Guess people like me pointing out your hypocrisy :D

The truck is what it is. Ford appears to be consolidating its body panel design to make per-unit costs better. They claim that it weighs 300 pounds or so less, which seems plausible. They also claim the frame is over twenty times stiffer, which tells me that they have either found a new way to distribute tow/haul stresses through the vehicle or the last frame was an ancient flexi-flyer. The thing is, these trucks are often exempt from CAFE and EPA FE regs because of their weight, so how much better the new truck's FE will be will likely remain a mystery. It would possibly explain Ford's reluctance to go all crazy with the weight-loss claims: maybe if you drop it too much the Feds start paying attention.

I am soooooo glad to know you keep such a close eye on your rep counts (yours as well as mine as you visit my profile almost daily, whereas I never visit yours, and could care less about trolls ).

And the frame is 24X stiffer. 

All combined, with far more frame strength and driveline durability and capability and features, it still manages to weigh up to 350lbs less.

So as far as sales go, SD manages to outsell ALL the competition (fleet and retail combined).

I don't expect that to be compromised much, if at all.

My favorite feature is the 360 degree visibility, for a total of 7 high def cameras to help you drive, load, park, trailer, etc.

Bravo Ford

I am soooooo glad to know you keep such a close eye on your rep counts (yours as well as mine as you visit my profile almost daily, whereas I never visit yours, and could care less about trolls ).

All combined, with far more frame strength and driveline durability and capability and features, it still manages to weigh up to 350lbs less.

So as far as sales go, SD manages to outsell ALL the competition (fleet and retail combined).

My favorite feature is the 360 degree visibility, for a total of 7 high def cameras to help you drive, load, park, trailer, etc.

Bravo Ford

Nobody here is disputing Ford's sales numbers or their capabilities as a work truck. Here in Alberta they probably run 80% fleet sales, minimum.

Since you were the one bringing up rep points, I iust felt compelled to point out that your strategy is failing. Par for the course, but still.

• Downvote 2

Guest wings4life

Bravo Ford

Nobody here is disputing Ford's sales numbers or their capabilities as a work truck. Here in Alberta they probably run 80% fleet sales, minimum.

Since you were the one bringing up rep points, I iust felt compelled to point out that your strategy is failing. Par for the course, but still.

....and nobody here is saying anyone is disputing sales numbers, but as a pro-Ford fan, it is my pleasure to mention it...in a topical thread.

And you were the one that brought up rep points, NOT ME.  Nice try bong.

Losing it bong, or what?

I did mention it was me that gave you 2 down votes, because you and at least 1 or 2 others seem to notice and comment on it so often, sometimes falsely accusing others (according to a mod comment).  And I explained why I did.

Guest wings4life

So....... Ford says 16 class firsts for this new truck. 

Nice.

Let me mention again how much I love all the cameras and all the added visibility.  I have pulled enough trailers in my day to know just how useful they can be.

You want a contribution? Here you go.

The weight loss is always a good thing.

The added cameras (for the newbies) is great for the trailer pulling crowd.

-------

The hideous chrome is not a good thing. 

No new 10 SPD for 2017 is also not a good thing.

Topic please, not the OP

Sorry man... I'm quite happy to help you ruin your productivity discuss this, uh... breakthrough.

So, the frame is 24 times stiffer.

And Ford's logo is a blue oval.

Is this a coincidence?

Edited by El Kabong
  • Downvote 1

Nice work Ford and Alcoa.

" Aluminum alloy that is 40 percent more formable than today’s automotive aluminum and 30 percent stronger and 30 percent lighter than high-strength steel. "

Impressive sounding alloy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The more I look at this truck the better it's looking. At first my instinct said it was damn near hideous. But the more I look at it the more I like it. The only thing that I'm still skeptical about is the grill. I like that the lower trim offers it in the matte black, along with the mirrors. I'm not a fan of chrome much at all so I think that's all that I don't really like. The body looks good..like any other truck. I do dig the large muscular front end and I like the shape of the lights, like the f150.

I'm super intrigued to hear about the power numbers for all three of these engines. It'd be cool and all to get the magical 1000ft lbs number from the 6.7 but being honest that is just stupid and ridiculous and absolutely unnecessary. They did just fine with what, 850? Even with the same output it would be a better power to weight ratio.

I think what these big guys need to work on instead of more raw power is making the truck more efficient while being able to tow 30,000lbs instead of working their way slowly up to 35,000 then 40,000. Most people should be trailering that kind of weight anyway due to skill level so they should make them do their 30,000lb trailering capability and try and hit 20mpg while towing. Now THAT would be an accomplishment if you ask me. Realistic? Probably not. But you have to try and I have to believe that making 1000ft lbs isn't leaning that direction.

• Upvote 1

cap,

they are working on more efficiency. Clearly. A good start is the huge reduction in weight, while simultaneously increasing the ability to do much more work.  Those two targets have traditionally conflicted in a big way.  And to haul all that additional weight, requires more power, not less.  But far more important than that, is making the vehicle safer and more durable for better stopping, handling, chassis stability under duress, etc.  All important targets, and probably far more important than going the other way to gain efficiency.. That is what F-150 is for anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Topic please, either Ford's innovative use of Al or the class leading new SD.

Thanks

Next project and recipient ( of this new and revolutionary alloy? ) should be the next gen Expedition and Navigator. Edited by Burnt Valve LS7

Dreamland.  Even a Reynolds Wrapped Expedition and Nagivator won't be able to TOUCH Tahoe/Suburban and Escalade.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.